NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What’s cooking at your house?

+13
Vintage
Ben Reilly
Victorismyhero
Raggamuffin
HoratioTarr
veya_victaous
nicko
Fred Moletrousers
Syl
eddie
Original Quill
Maddog
Cass
17 posters

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 Empty What’s cooking at your house?

Post by Cass Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

While watching the playoffs, I’ve been busy in the kitchen.

Made a huge pot of pasta e fagioli and there’s plenty left for lunches. Of course I omit the onion and don’t add celery as I just don’t like it, but a good sprinkling of smoked Spanish paprika is delicious. Serve it with some grated Parmesan and crusty bread and salad.

Second is banana and pecan bread. Pecans are a huge business in Arizona and just before Christmas is harvest time. I have a super lovely older lady patron who gives me a massive bag of freshly picked nuts as a Christmas present. They’re expensive so I’m grateful. I’ll probably make a pecan pie or pecan bars with the rest.

What have you got on the go?

What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 Aa2f3710
What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 0e3e7910
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 Empty Re: What’s cooking at your house?

Post by Cass Mon May 18, 2020 2:20 am

What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 3fd00410
What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 6a545110
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon May 18, 2020 12:11 pm

Cass, have you had no trouble buying all the ingredients you need?

My sons partner loves baking, she couldn't buy flour anywhere for over a month. The silly girl even asked me if I had any....she obviously doesn't know me as well as I thought she did. Laughing
Anyway, she did manage to get some a couple of weeks ago, made scones, brought some round, they were delicious.

Did I ever mention at my sons school fayre when they asked parents to bake and bring?
I thought I had baked scones, they labelled them as rock cakes, and to add insult to injury no one bought them. Crying or Very sad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed May 20, 2020 6:43 pm

What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 20200517

Chicken Shwarma
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed May 20, 2020 10:22 pm

Syl wrote:Cass, have you had no trouble buying all the ingredients you need?

My sons partner loves baking, she couldn't buy flour anywhere for over a month. The silly girl even asked me if I had any....she obviously doesn't know me as well as I thought she did. Laughing
Anyway, she did manage to get some a couple of weeks ago, made scones, brought some round, they were delicious.

Did I ever mention at my sons school fayre when they asked parents to bake and bring?
I thought I had baked scones, they labelled them as rock cakes, and to add insult to injury no one bought them. Crying or Very sad

Stick to scrabble, honey.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed May 20, 2020 11:04 pm

eddie wrote:

Stick to scrabble, honey.
snobby
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu May 21, 2020 4:28 am

For a while I couldn’t get any all purpose flour and yeast. Seems to be hit and miss with some things. Apparently beef is getting a bit scarce and expensive due to meat packing plant workers catching the virus. There’s not been any problem with fresh fruit and veg.

Whatever I’ve not gotten, I’ve managed to work around with something else. I plan my weekly meals mostly on what I have in the freezer and pantry so in essence I am shopping for the following week. Or restocking what I have used. Like I mentioned before, I did a bunch of huge shops before everything went pear shaped so I’m lucky in that respect.

Still having trouble for some cleaning products both for work and home.

Scones can be tricky!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu May 21, 2020 12:05 pm

Cass wrote:

For a while I couldn’t get any all purpose flour and yeast. Seems to be hit and miss with some things. Apparently beef is getting a bit scarce and expensive due to meat packing plant workers catching the virus. There’s not been any problem with fresh fruit and veg.

Whatever I’ve not gotten, I’ve managed to work around with something else. I plan my weekly meals mostly on what I have in the freezer and pantry so in essence I am shopping for the following week. Or restocking what I have used. Like I mentioned before, I did a bunch of huge shops before everything went pear shaped so I’m lucky in that respect.

Scones can be tricky!

Like you Cass, I am sort of shopping for the following week, rotating what I have in the freezer. I have cooked more this last few weeks, because obviously eating out is....out.
To be absolutely honest, I have never been so organised.

Thank you for understanding about my scone mishap...(unlike Eddie) Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri May 22, 2020 12:26 am

Pfffff they were rock cakes Syl...get over it. Rolling Eyes
I’m shit at baking but I make a mean sauce.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri May 22, 2020 3:27 am

Meatloaf with all the fixings including a new recipe for roasted mushrooms. And a home made roasted tomato sauce for dinner tomorrow night.

What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 Ffdd0310
What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 4dc5dd10
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Fri May 22, 2020 3:35 am

Syl wrote:
Cass wrote:

Scones can be tricky!

Like you Cass, I am sort of shopping for the following week, rotating what I have in the freezer. I have cooked more this last few weeks, because obviously eating out is....out.
To be absolutely honest, I have never been so organised.

Thank you for understanding about my scone mishap...(unlike Eddie) Rolling Eyes

No worries. Food fails are a part of life. I’m a crap baker really. It’s very precise. With cooking I can add a bit of this and a dash of that. Much easier.

I guess Mr. C’s military career got me organized. Especially if he was away, I didn’t want to nor couldn’t dash to the shops every few days. Plus when we were first married we were poor so I went around the shop with my list and a calculator and was nearly always spot on with my budget. Probably also contributed to me getting a library career.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri May 22, 2020 1:26 pm

I have every admiration for you Cass.....I have just sort of blustered through housewifery for 45 years. scratch

EDDIE....I do know the difference between scones and rock cakes, it's everyone else who seems to have confusion. snobby
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue May 26, 2020 1:56 am

Syl wrote:I have every admiration for you Cass.....I have just sort of blustered through housewifery for 45 years.  scratch

EDDIE....I do know the difference between scones and rock cakes, it's everyone else who seems to have confusion. snobby

AWWW thanks Syl. Just don’t look at my baseboards or under the bed What a Face
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue May 26, 2020 2:01 am

It’s been a long weekend here so lots of cooking and some baking.

No knead bread (another one is currently in the oven), real honest to goodness flapjacks (found an unopened jar of golden syrup at the back of the pantry) and for dinner tonight Moroccan style lamb meatballs in a Moroccan tomato sauce, roasted broccoli rabe, Spanish patatas bravas with home made salsa brava and aioli sauces.

What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 C6194210
What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 Aff43510
What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 37842010
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue May 26, 2020 2:16 am

My Thai assistant cooked up ribs in a Thai sauce, tonight. Wonderful!

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue May 26, 2020 2:42 am

Original Quill wrote:My Thai assistant cooked up ribs in a Thai sauce, tonight.  Wonderful!

Yummy! I’ve never been a huge rib fan. A bit like bone in wings. Too much effort for too little reward. I like short ribs though. Especially in the slow cooker with an Asian style sauce.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue May 26, 2020 3:00 am

Cass wrote:It’s been a long weekend here so lots of cooking and some baking.

No knead bread (another one is currently in the oven), real honest to goodness flapjacks (found an unopened jar of golden syrup at the back of the pantry) and for dinner tonight Moroccan style lamb meatballs in a Moroccan tomato sauce, roasted broccoli rabe, Spanish patatas bravas with home made salsa brava and aioli sauces.

I have actually made flapjacks. I put nuts and chocolate chips in them. They are excellent to eat while cycling. I think I ate them on one ride and ate the rest sitting around the house, which sorta defeated the purpose of making them.  

Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue May 26, 2020 3:12 am

Maddog wrote:
Cass wrote:It’s been a long weekend here so lots of cooking and some baking.

I have actually made flapjacks. I put nuts and chocolate chips in them. They are excellent to eat while cycling. I think I ate them on one ride and ate the rest sitting around the house, which sorta defeated the purpose of making them.  

Hahahaha! I’ve made chocolate ones before, not chips but cocoa. I still have some syrup and oats left. Maybe next week.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Star24 Tue May 26, 2020 3:00 pm

Original Quill wrote:I love black bean, pinto bean and corn salad.

What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 Black-bean-and-corn-salad_22631

Lots of cilantro and diced red onions...yuuuuummmm.  Easy to make, great presentation, and really good.

I am doing this for tea tonight with Steak and Jersey Royal pots.
Quill, do you have a dressing with this bean salad?
Star24
Star24
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue May 26, 2020 3:45 pm

Stir 3/4 cup white vinegar, 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, and 1 tsp. salt together in a saucepan; bring to a boil until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Pour vinegar mixture over bean mixture; marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight. Drain salad of extra marinade before serving. I like to sprinkle chopped cilantro just before serving.

Soz is so late for tonight.  It's 7:30 am here, meaning late afternoon there.  Quickly.

Or, you might buy a sweet/tangy Italian dressing at store.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Star24 Tue May 26, 2020 4:05 pm

Original Quill wrote:Stir 3/4 cup white vinegar, 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, and 1 tsp. salt together in a saucepan; bring to a boil until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Pour vinegar mixture over bean mixture; marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight. Drain salad of extra marinade before serving.  I like to sprinkle chopped cilantro just before serving.

Soz is so late for tonight.  It's 7:30 am here, meaning late afternoon there.  Quickly.

Thank you so much, Quill.
I will try that, but minus the sugar. Like a Star @ heaven
Star24
Star24
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue May 26, 2020 4:26 pm

Star24 wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Stir 3/4 cup white vinegar, 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, and 1 tsp. salt together in a saucepan; bring to a boil until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Pour vinegar mixture over bean mixture; marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight. Drain salad of extra marinade before serving.  I like to sprinkle chopped cilantro just before serving.

Squeeze some lime juice on it right before serving.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Star24 Tue May 26, 2020 4:41 pm

Maddog wrote:
Star24 wrote:

Squeeze some lime juice on it right before serving.
Thanks Maddog, I love lime especially in Gin Laughing
Star24
Star24
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue May 26, 2020 5:30 pm

Star24 wrote:

Yes. I confess, I just looked up a recipe. You can do the same, and look for one more suitable to your tastes/diet. Try: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13933/black-bean-and-corn-salad-ii/

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed May 27, 2020 12:26 am

Syl wrote:I have every admiration for you Cass.....I have just sort of blustered through housewifery for 45 years.  scratch

If you say so. Rolling Eyes

I can’t bake for shit but I don’t care. I’d rather eat a nice meal than a cake.

Rock on Syl!

See what I did? cheers
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat May 30, 2020 2:30 am

It’s been a long week. Senior junior has been exposed to COVID-19 and so many horrible things happening in the world.

Comfort food needed. Creamy smoked salmon pasta steps up to the plate.

Love one another I love you

What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 873ceb10
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 30, 2020 3:00 pm

eddie wrote:

If you say so. Rolling Eyes

I can’t bake for shit but I don’t care. I’d rather eat a nice meal than a cake.

Rock on Syl!

See what I did? cheers

What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 2794048296
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:08 am

Staycation day 2 food.

Day 2 of staycation cooking. Yesterday was all about takeout sushi.

Banana bread, blueberry clafoutis, and salmon patties with spiced and herbed couscous with smashed cherry tomatoes and a homemade yogurt/dill/garlic/olive oil/lemon sauce.

What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 25d4b210
What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 E728da10
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:10 am

What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 33158f10

The bigger one had too many berries but it was still delicious. Got my new oven dirty though:(
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:12 pm

I will have a slice of the one with too many berries, it might not look as neat but I bet it tastes divine. cheers
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:26 am

Day 3. Sausage rolls this morning and a buttermilk fried chicken dinner with all the fixings.

What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 Ffd37110
What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 23554210
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:15 am

Xlnt. Outstanding.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:25 pm

Have to say Cass, not only are you a brilliant cook, the photo's you take are pretty good too. My mouth actually watered when I looked at the sausage rolls, I haven't had one of those for years.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:49 pm

Syl wrote:Have to say Cass, not only are you a brilliant cook, the photo's you take are pretty good too. My mouth actually watered when I looked at the sausage rolls, I haven't had one of those for years.

Aww thanks Syl. Sausage rolls are one of the things I miss most. I looked through loads of recipes before I found one that I could tweak to my liking. I may have had one for breakfast lol. And my new oven is ACE! No more worrying about burning or hot spots. Last Friday as a reward after finishing summer reading, I broke out the expensive proper British bacon and chipolatas. Baked both in the oven. Perfection and less greasy.

What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 B93a2710

The overstuffed berry clafoutis was so nice and juicy and custardy, even if it did boil over a bit and spoil my nice clean oven!

I’m off now to attempt making my own square (Lorne) sausage and soft Scottish morning rolls. I’m not great at breads so fingers crossed! I also managed to bring back some bakers rusk in February as that is an important component of the sausage. Dinner tonight is chicken teriyaki with Japanese sticky rice.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:38 am

Eureka! The rolls came out perfectly! That’s why having a new oven is my joy!

Also the chicken teriyaki was delicious. I added a whole bunch of veg sautéed in garlic/soy sauce and mirin to it. Nigella Lawson’s recipe.

I had a massage and cupping and a visit to the chiropractor and arranged a Sunday social distance breakfast (I’m making crepes) with a mate who I haven’t seen since this all kicked off.

It’s a good day. Sending extra good vibes to those here who need it I love you What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 04f7b810
What’s cooking at your house? - Page 9 B5281010
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:28 am

All these mouthwatering posts somewhat relegate my own alliterative bachelor's baked bean breakfast into insignificance....
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:34 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:All these mouthwatering posts somewhat relegate my own alliterative bachelor's baked bean breakfast into insignificance....

Thank you good sir. And I love beans on toast. Especially with some grated sharp make your eyes water cheddar on top.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:19 pm

Tonight it's Pan Roasted Shrimp and Green Beans, with lemon zest.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:06 pm

Traditional bangers and mash...a couple of canned hot dog sausages sticking out of a gluey concoction of Smash instant mashed potato.

Life is so hard being a poor old pensioner.....
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:18 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Traditional bangers and mash...a couple of canned hot dog sausages sticking out of a gluey concoction of Smash instant mashed potato.

Life is so hard being a poor old pensioner.....

I think what you mean is....

Pan-seared meat oblongs, seasoned with salty rock salt and crushed black peppercorns on a bed of creamy, crushed white organic potatoes harvested from the arse of a poncy farmer.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:46 pm

Anyone ever cooked a tagine? It’s a dish I love but I’ve lost the recipe I used to like.

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:20 am

eddie wrote:Anyone ever cooked a tagine? It’s a dish I love but I’ve lost the recipe I used to like.

Nope, but I bet lovely Cass has, hope she is doing OK.
And Gels too....I miss them on here.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:24 am

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:Anyone ever cooked a tagine? It’s a dish I love but I’ve lost the recipe I used to like.

Yeah, me too. I’ll contact them both and bully them to come back.
Or I’ll charm them by flirting. I’m a pretty good flirt. Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:32 am

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Yes i noticed that about 2 days after i joined here. Razz

It would be nice to see them both again.x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:38 am

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Well, I’ve always quite fancied you, with your dark exotic looks and fiery ways. Razz

I’ll contact them both and pass on your best wishes.
But not your stoopid skating-drive-through-movie thing idea. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:40 am

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Well, I’ve always quite fancied you, with your dark exotic looks and fiery ways. Razz

I’ll contact them both and pass on your best wishes.
But not your stoopid skating-drive-through-movie thing idea.  Rolling Eyes
Laughing Cool

Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:29 pm

Not sure what's cooking at Moletrousers Towers tonight....but it's bound to come out of a can (sigh!)
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:40 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Not sure what's cooking at Moletrousers Towers tonight....but it's bound to come out of a can (sigh!)

Same for me tonight Fred, and I am looking forwards to opening a  tin of salmon with a sliced red onoin, lots of vinegar, bread and butter, and a nice long glass of something white and chilled.

I love an easy meal. cheers
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:48 pm

Syl wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:Not sure what's cooking at Moletrousers Towers tonight....but it's bound to come out of a can (sigh!)

Same for me tonight Fred, and I am looking forwards to opening a  tin of salmon with a sliced red onoin, lots of vinegar, bread and butter, and a nice long glass of something white and chilled.

Tell you what, Syl, even easier eating is to check in at Moletrousers Towers (in reality a pretty cottage in a glorious rural location surrounded by woodlands, fields and sheep) and I'll treat you to a first class Indian meal from our absolutely top class, A1, fantastic restaurant/takeaway. I've spent time in India and never enjoyed such gorgeous authentic Asian cuisine as I get from our little local version.

Of course if you don't like Indian food the offer is invalid!!!!!!!
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:42 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Syl wrote:

Tell you what, Syl, even easier eating is to check in at Moletrousers Towers (in reality a pretty cottage in a glorious rural location surrounded by woodlands, fields and sheep) and I'll treat you to a first class Indian meal from our absolutely top class, A1, fantastic restaurant/takeaway. I've spent time in India and never enjoyed such gorgeous authentic Asian cuisine as I get from our little local version.

Of course if you don't like Indian food the offer is invalid!!!!!!!
Just getting my coat Fred. Cool Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Fred Moletrousers likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:23 pm

Thai style Quorn Swedish meatballs with plain boiled rice.

Recipe.

Quorn Swedish meatballs.
1 tsp ground Coriander seeds
1 tsp powdered cinnamon
4 Cardamom pods
1 tablespoon of peanut butter
1 inch of grated ginger.
1 Vegetable stock cube in a cup of hot water
2 fresh limes , zest and juice.
1 fresh red chili
I stick of Lemongrass
Spring Onions
1 Tin Coconut milk
1 Tablespoon oil

Fry spices in oil, add chili, crushed lemongrass, ginger, cardamom ,red chili, fry for a few minutes to release the oils from the spices.    Add peanut butter and coconut milk and stock.  Cook until mixture thickens.  Strain. Add lime zest and juice.   Add meatballs.   Cook for further 5 mins.  Garnish with sliced spring onions.   Serve.

You can add sweetened dried  coconut that's been dry toasted in a pan to the rice.    To do this you use a cup of desiccated coconut and a tablespoon of sugar.  Heat in a dry non stick pan until it's toasted.  Sprinkle over the rice.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next