NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cooking ...... with bugs

4 posters

Go down

Cooking ......  with bugs Empty Cooking ...... with bugs

Post by veya_victaous Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:29 pm

http://www.buzzfeed.com/gabrielsanchez/eating-bugs-with-the-bug-chef-himself#.bmRrN024ka

Beyond just a novelty, Chef David George Gordon’s interest lies in sustainability. The concept of eating insects as food is called entomophagy. One of his most popular lecture topics explores the next big revolution in food production, which essentially replaces beef, chicken and pork with eco-friendly critters like crickets, mealworms, spiders, centipedes, and more. Raising cattle and other animals requires a tremendous amount of resources, whereas insects are far less taxing on the environment. Gordon cites that to an estimated 80% of the world’s cultures, bugs are just another food group.  Bugs can be a great source of protein and nutrients, although Gordon always recommends exercising caution when first cooking with bugs. To begin, if you’re allergic to crab, lobster, or shrimp, there is a good chance you’ll also be allergic to bugs. One thing to also keep in mind, you always want to avoid harvesting bugs from places that use pesticide. Eating bugs that have eaten pesticide is essentially eating the pesticide itself. Chef Gordon purchases his bugs from a supplier in Austin, Texas, called Aspire.

Doesn't it look like a tasty soft shell crab
Cooking ......  with bugs Longform-original-30354-1423246920-5

Recipe... click here:
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Cooking ......  with bugs Empty Re: Cooking ...... with bugs

Post by Guest Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:56 pm

Cooking ......  with bugs 3633442240

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:06 pm

I'd have to be seriously starving to cough and splutter that type of stuff down my throat. We Scot's are used to a healthy diet of Haggis, mince pies, tatties, Chips and I hear deep fried mars bars although I've never ever seen or tried one Laughing

With that I'm away up the club for a pint, and anyway my subscription for this year is due again.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:14 pm

Irn Bru wrote:I'd have to be seriously starving to cough and splutter that type of stuff down my throat. We Scot's are used to a healthy diet of Haggis, mince pies, tatties, Chips and I hear deep fried mars bars although I've never ever seen or tried one Laughing

With that I'm away up the club for a pint, and anyway my subscription for this year is due again.

Deep fried mars bars are awesome... made them at home. really good with Ice cream

Found they worked better with puff pastry case instead of batter came out like a McDonald's hot apple pie... also I only used fun size ones I think full size Mars bars might be a bit too much  Suspect 

Don't know about the spider (although not much different than soft-shell crab) but i'd be fine with deep fried Crickets (not so sure about stirred into rice) basically like protein chips with a mild nutty taste.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:23 am

WTF...isn't a crustacean a kind of bug...sortuv?

Cooking ......  with bugs Lobster_16x9

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:38 am

Original Quill wrote:WTF...isn't a crustacean a kind of bug...sortuv?

Cooking ......  with bugs Lobster_16x9

Arachnid actually
Crabs and Lobsters are just Sea Spiders  Cooking ......  with bugs 202592697 

6 legs + 2 claws = 8 limbs

veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by veya_victaous Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:32 am

Lone Wolf wrote:pirat

Cooking ......  with bugs Arthropod%25255B6%25255D
http://www.pinayhomeschooler.com/2014/06/the-arthropods-materials-free-files.html

Cooking ......  with bugs 1177314732

umm it was particularly Lobsters and Crabs that Do have 6 and 2.

AND they are more similar to each other (and scorpions) than Insects

Here is a common ancestor
http://science.time.com/2013/10/16/meet-the-half-billion-year-old-lobster-spider-with-tusks/
If you’d been around 520 million years ago and been living at the bottom of the ocean, you would not have wanted to stumble across the extinct creature scientists just identified from fossil records as belonging to the group known as “great appendage arthropods.” It was surely an ugly beast—shaped something like a spider, something like a lobster, with great tusk-like forelimbs. That said, it was also only about an inch long. Still, if you’d indeed in fact been living in its world, you might not have been much bigger, and that would have made it a fearsome sight.

Today, the little animal is mostly a matter of scientific interest, and in this week’s Nature, investigators took a run at determining just who its contemporary kin are. Does it belong in the branch of the arthropod tree currently occupied by the crustaceans, including crabs and lobsters? Or does it fit with the chelicerae, the group that includes scorpions and spiders?

Cooking ......  with bugs Alternate_universe
http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1268:_Alternate_Universe
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:44 pm

darknessss wrote:Cooking ......  with bugs 3633442240

....and there was me thinking you were a roughty toughty Victor!  Have you lost your staff???!!!  Cooking ......  with bugs Victor10 Laughing x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:03 pm

listen ...ANYTHING with more than 4 legs is just un-natural......and despite what the nutters of the gastronomic world say eating it is just .......wrong....

yetch......

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:10 pm

darknessss wrote:listen ...ANYTHING with more than 4 legs is just un-natural......and despite what the nutters of the gastronomic world say eating it is just .......wrong....

yetch......

...and you, a hunter Cooking ......  with bugs Hunter10 What about snails? Cooking ......  with bugs Snail_move_sm_clr

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:17 pm

SNAILS...eeeeww....they are simply garlic flavoured bits of rubber.....and besides which the french invented them...says it all really..... mind you i suppose 20 million thrushes (and my chickens) cant be wrong ......can they?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:24 pm

darknessss wrote:SNAILS...eeeeww....they are simply garlic flavoured bits of rubber.....and besides which the french invented them...says it all really..... mind you i suppose 20 million thrushes (and my chickens) cant be wrong ......can they?

I tried snails once, just tasted of garlic butter and yes I guess a little chewy...........live a little Victor Cooking ......  with bugs Hungry10

I think I could try that spider cooked if I'd had enough wine Cooking ......  with bugs Rofl10 Couldn't cope with anything alive affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down