NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking the meaning of racism too far.

+8
@lex
Fuzzy Zack
Ben Reilly
Original Quill
eddie
Major
Raggamuffin
Syl
12 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 2 Empty Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Syl Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3454987/Two-college-students-cause-racism-furore-posing-blacked-selfie-undergoing-facial-treatment.html

OMG....talk about over reacting.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Original Quill Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:13 pm

Syl wrote:I understand that the investigation cleared the girls of any racial intent, they were posing with face masks on, they could have been white/green/any colour face masks....they just happened to be black.

Raggamuffin wrote:It's not the fault of white people that Dead Sea mud is black.

So many red herrings, so little time…

We are not talking about cosmetics. If we were, there would be no story. We are talking about two children borrowing on the historical persecution of black people to make a joke.

As I say, I chalk it up to the clumsiness of youth. But the significance and history should not be deterred by false leads and red herring diversions.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 2 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Quill can you tell me how you know what they were thinking, or their intention, from that picture?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

Her post shows she failed to understand that by trying to compare this to black students whitening up their faces, would be moot based on nobody would think or reason they were being racist, because there simply is centuries of blacks demeaning whites in America

The point you keep missing at everyturn

It would only have relevance where there had been centuries of racism against whites by blacks and shows, plays, musicals where whites were demeaned by painting up black peoples faces.

That is why to try to compare something that from the start is not even comparable, and why to bring this up is moot.

I understand fully, so stop being so patronising.
I was not comparing black girls wearing white face masks to white girls wearing black face masks....simply pointing out that face masks come in all colours and can be worn by anyone.

Are you on the Wisconsin university panel for stating bullshit Didge?...you should be.

You were the one being rude taking the piss talking around me

That means you are being childish

And as seen even further by you continuing to be rude

It does not matter they come in different colours, when you clearly posted the picture thinking it made your point, when it certainly did not, which shows dishonesty on your part also

So grow up

Last edited by Didge on Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:16 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

I don't think Didge even reads my posts, he just likes to argue.
The other night he demanded to know why I would not answer his question...and he posted that under the quote where I HAD answered his question.... Razz

Tha is conceding above, talking around

Always a massive indicator the other person now looks to deflect with poor attempts at humour and mocking

Checkmate

I don't understand half of the above post...it doesn't make sense.
The other half is wrong too.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:16 pm

eddie wrote:Quill can you tell me how you know what they were thinking, or their intention, from that picture?

Please.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:16 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

OMG point so far above Eddies head, it has now reached the moon

Show the history in the US of centuries or civil rights being denied, being treated as near abject slaves?

That is your starting poiint to even male any view that this could cause offense to whites based off any history?

The point wasn't over my head at all, I'm not stupid

But you presumed that the black woman with the white mask wasn't having a dig at white people.
Why is that?

Because it doesn't relate to anything. There's no history. It's not code for anything. It's just a hollow mirror-image argument, intended to throw the point off-course.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:17 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

Tha is conceding above, talking around

Always a massive indicator the other person now looks to deflect with poor attempts at humour and mocking

Checkmate

I don't understand half of the above post...it doesn't make sense.
The other half is wrong too.

You were the one being rude taking the piss talking around me

That means you are being childish

And as seen even further by you continuing to be rude

It does not matter they come in different colours, when you clearly posted the picture thinking it made your point, when it certainly did not, which shows dishonesty on your part also

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:17 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:I understand that the investigation cleared the girls of any racial intent, they were posing with face masks on, they could have been white/green/any colour face masks....they just  happened to be black.

Raggamuffin wrote:It's not the fault of white people that Dead Sea mud is black.

We are not talking about cosmetics.  If we were, there would be no story.  We are talking about two children borrowing on the historical persecution of black people to make a joke.

As I say, I chalk it up to the clumsiness of youth.  But the significance and history should not be deterred by false leads and red herring diversions.

We are talking about cosmetics though - well skin treatments anyway. The "story" was created by others who imagine racism. It's not surprising though, given what's on the university website.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:18 pm

eddie wrote:
eddie wrote:Quill can you tell me how you know what they were thinking, or their intention, from that picture?

Please.

Because we speak the same language, have the same history, and can wink at the same code words. Been there, done that...

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:18 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:

But you presumed that the black woman with the white mask wasn't having a dig at white people.
Why is that?

Because it doesn't relate to anything.  There's no history.  It's not code for anything.  It's just a hollow mirror-image argument, intended to throw the point off-course.

Exactly

The worst part in all this is their complete lack of understanding of American history

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

OMG point so far above Eddies head, it has now reached the moon

Show the history in the US of centuries or civil rights being denied, being treated as near abject slaves?

That is your starting poiint to even male any view that this could cause offense to whites based off any history?

Why is that?

Because it doesn't relate to anything.  There's no history.  It's not code for anything.  It's just a hollow mirror-image argument, intended to throw the point off-course.

So just because white people have a history (well before the people pictured were born) of racism, this automatically means they were being racist?

So every single time a white person puts on a face mask that is black-coloured, they are being racist, yes? Taking the piss out of blacks, yes?

Do you realise how desperate that sounds?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:20 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:

Why is that?

Exactly

The worst part in all this is their complete lack of understanding of American history

WE UNDERSTAND THE HISTORY BUT HOW DOES THAT MAKE SOMEONE WEARING A BLACK FACE MASK, RACIST?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:21 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:I understand that the investigation cleared the girls of any racial intent, they were posing with face masks on, they could have been white/green/any colour face masks....they just  happened to be black.

We are not talking about cosmetics.  If we were, there would be no story.  We are talking about two children borrowing on the historical persecution of black people to make a joke.

As I say, I chalk it up to the clumsiness of youth.  But the significance and history should not be deterred by false leads and red herring diversions.

Clumsiness of youth?
Two kids larking about with face masks on....it's happened for decades, nowadays they can take a selfi and post it, the intent is still the same though.
The difference is everyone can see them, and some people unfortunately are obsessed with racism and make a big fuss over nothing.

The outcome is the girls have been officially cleared because 'a racist event had not ocurred'...and the university look foolish.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:21 pm

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

So just because white people have a history (well before the people pictured were born) of racism, this automatically means they were being racist?

So every single time a white person puts on a face mask that is black-coloured, they are being racist, yes? Taking the piss out of blacks, yes?

Holy crap on a cracker

Again everyone has agreed they were not being racist, but because of said history it can be easily seen that this could have been racist

Seriously, stop, take a deep breath and understand what is being said

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:22 pm

There's a lot of microaggression on this thread. Laughing

Honestly, I hope this shit doesn't start becoming "trendy" here.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:22 pm

Actually without knowing these people, you're looking at a black face mask and seeing a black person.

Perhaps it's you who are racist!

Never mind, I'm sure when I put my yellow one on someone will call the police and say I'm mocking the Chinese

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 2 1069003512
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:23 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

Exactly

WE UNDERSTAND THE HISTORY BUT HOW DOES THAT MAKE SOMEONE WEARING A BLACK FACE MASK, RACIST?

I suggest you go back, re-read what I have said and then apologise for shouting and mistaking many points I have made

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:23 pm

Didge wrote:it clearly was a stupid prank and they certainly it seems did not set out to offend anyone, but clearly they are very ignorant though, as what they did would be jumped on like a rash, especially when racial tensions have been running extremely high over the last year in the US. So they are certainly not excused on the grounds of being naive and stupid.

As to the point on white paint? How many black or white people paint the vast majority of the face in white? So to say whether or not two black girls painting their face white would not receive the same reaction is blatantly obvious why it would not. Neglecting the fact no black girls have anyway, rendering such an assumption redundant. There is little history of racism against whites groups in the US, except some minority groups like the Irish, Italians etc, off though other white groups. There is nothing to compare decades of white racism against blacks. So nobody would bat an eyelid if it was two black girls, because there is no history or cause to create an offense. Yet there is when white people do so, as it has had countless times such mockery against black people..

Some people need to try and imagine what it is like having black skin, being judged automatically by countless people. How they are discriminated against at every level. Try walking in their shoes to see why people would likely react to such stupidity by these two boys. Yes it was not intentional by them, but it certainly shows a lack intelligence not thinking for one second, that people would not respond to the blackening up of faces

For Eddie to read again

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:23 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Holy crap on a cracker

Again everyone has agreed they were not being racist, but because of said history it can be easily seen that this could have been racist

Could have.

Exactly didge.
COULD HAVE.

I COULD have been a bloke if I was born with a cock.

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:24 pm

eddie wrote:Actually without knowing these people, you're looking at a black face mask and seeing a black person.

Perhaps it's you who are racist!

Never mind, I'm sure when I put my yellow one on someone will call the police and say I'm mocking the Chinese

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 2 1069003512

That smiley's a bit yellow - it's clearly racist. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:25 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

Exactly

I suggest you go back, re-read what I have said and then apologise for shouting and mistaking many points I have made

The caps were for Quill. He's a bit.....Erm......blind when it comes to race issues

I'm wearing a black top. Oh no. I'm trying to be black!! Think of the HISTORY!!!

Last edited by eddie on Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:25 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

Holy crap on a cracker

Could have.

Exactly didge.
COULD  HAVE.

I COULD  have been a bloke if I was born with a cock.

Do you understand how and if something can be seen to be racist based on this happening many times in history in that country?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:26 pm

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Of cousre...we all speak the same language, don't we?  We know what they are saying.  Language wasn't born yesterday.  It has a history.

eddie wrote:So every single time a white person puts on a face mask that is black-coloured, they are being racist, yes? Taking the piss out of blacks, yes?

As I said, I don't think they were so much racist as they were clumbsy.  Kids!

eddie wrote:Do you realise how desperate that sounds?

Don't play mother patronizer to me.  I know the years of academic research that went into realizing how insidious racism is, and how the metaphors and stories perpetuate the tradition. See, Brown v. Bd. of Education, 347 US 483 (1954).

Last edited by Original Quill on Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:26 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

The caps were for Quill. He's a bit.....Erm......blind when it comes to race issues

I'm wearing a black top. Oh no. I'm trying to be black!! Think of the HISTORY!!!

No he actually grasps what a major problem racism still is in the US

That would have been the first point of call to take a step back and then understand why people could view them as being racist

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:27 pm

I understand that due to white man's history he will forever feel he has to apologise for wearing a black face mask.

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:27 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

I was thinking of getting some black soap, but I might be investigated for RACISM! lol!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:27 pm

Didge wrote:it clearly was a stupid prank and they certainly it seems did not set out to offend anyone, but clearly they are very ignorant though, as what they did would be jumped on like a rash, especially when racial tensions have been running extremely high over the last year in the US. So they are certainly not excused on the grounds of being naive and stupid.
[b]
As to the point on white paint? How many black or white people paint the vast majority of the face in white? So to say whether or not two black girls painting their face white would not receive the same reaction is blatantly obvious why it would not. Neglecting the fact no black girls have anyway, rendering such an assumption redundant[/b]. There is little history of racism against whites groups in the US, except some minority groups like the Irish, Italians etc, off though other white groups. There is nothing to compare decades of white racism against blacks. So nobody would bat an eyelid if it was two black girls, because there is no history or cause to create an offense. Yet there is when white people do so, as it has had countless times such mockery against black people..

Some people need to try and imagine what it is like having black skin, being judged automatically by countless people. How they are discriminated against at every level. Try walking in their shoes to see why people would likely react to such stupidity by these two boys. Yes it was not intentional by them, but it certainly shows a lack intelligence not thinking for one second, that people would not respond to the blackening up of faces

That's why I posted the pic of the girl wearing a white mask.....not to be childish but to prove you are talking rubbish.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:29 pm

eddie wrote:I understand that due to white man's history he will forever feel he has to apologise for wearing a black face mask.

You said people of today who have nothing to do with should apologise?

Nobody did, but people should learn from history and understand why something is still very sensitive to African Americans.

Again have you at any time thought from their view point?

No

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Syl wrote:
[b]
As to the point on white paint? How many black or white people paint the vast majority of the face in white? So to say whether or not two black girls painting their face white would not receive the same reaction is blatantly obvious why it would not. Neglecting the fact no black girls have anyway, rendering such an assumption redundant[/b]. There is little history of racism against whites groups in the US, except some minority groups like the Irish, Italians etc, off though other white groups. There is nothing to compare decades of white racism against blacks. So nobody would bat an eyelid if it was two black girls, because there is no history or cause to create an offense. Yet there is when white people do so, as it has had countless times such mockery against black people..

That's why I posted the pic of the girl wearing a white mask.....not to be childish but to prove you are talking rubbish.

More poor insults, as seen your posting the picture of the black girls is rendered meaningless with no racist history for people to assume she was being racist, but there is countless for whites demeaning blacks, for people to think the lads could or might have been being racist

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:34 pm

So then, are black face packs fundamentally racist, and should they be banned? rabbit

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:35 pm

eddie wrote:I understand that due to white man's history he will forever feel he has to apologise for wearing a black face mask.

As Brown makes clear, what is called for is called for is not apologies, but remedial action. Brown v. Bd. of Education, 347 US 483 (1954).

Affirmative action is more appropriate than cocktail guilt.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:35 pm

Didge wrote:

Nobody did, but people should learn from history and understand why something is still very sensitive to African Americans.

No

If a black person gets offended by me or anyone else wearing a black face mask then they are hysterical and paranoid and can go fuck themselves

I suggest you or quill write to the company that sells the black face masks and outline your reasons for taking it off the market.

Then move on the people who make liquorice.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Also, is having a perm a bit dodgy on the grounds that someone might think you're taking the piss out of black people?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:37 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

No

If a black person gets offended by me or anyone else wearing a black face mask then they are hysterical and paranoid and can go fuck themselves

I suggest you or quill write to  the company that sells the black face masks and outline your reasons for taking it off the market.

Well its doubtful they would in this country, but more probable in the US where racism is still a big problem

I suggest you stop being rude and childish and learn to for once imagine what its like to walk in their shoes where everyday, they are judged for the colour of their skin

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:38 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:So then, are black face packs fundamentally racist, and should they be banned?  rabbit

When used to send a message, as opposed to cosmetics, yes...

Of course, when the intent is mud packs for cosmetic purposes, that is not racism.  But we don't have that here, do we?

Last edited by Original Quill on Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:38 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

They haven't painted their faces black...they have face masks on. To anyone who doesn't know, a face mask is a beauty product, which left on the face till it hardens is meant to enhance the complexion.
Face masks can also be white/green/blue....the colour depends on whats in them. It's as likely that a black girl would cover her face in a white face mask as it is a white girl would her face in a black face mask.

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 2 Hqdefault

Again what did you fail top understand how there is no comparability with racism towards whites by blacks with them demeaning them with the likes oif the black and white Minstrel. Hence why I had already said your point is meaningless, because they is no comparability with racism towards whites than there is to blacks in the US. Please do not ignore that next time as i have already explained this, as here in this picture there is no history or cause to even associate her face with racism against whites.

Do you understand that?

I understand that the investigation cleared the girls of any racial intent, they were posing with face masks on, they could have been white/green/any colour face masks....they just  happened to be black.

The same university seems to have a skewed outlook on what is racially offensive and what is not. In this case they were wrong, as are you.
Last year they banned on campus certain phrases being used...amongst them was "Everybody can succeed" in their opinion it's racist..... Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 2 2190311264

First of all, that wasn't even the same school.

Second of all, they didn't ban any phrases, and the referenced document isn't even there anymore.

It's notable that every website even to make this claim has a clear political agenda. It's also notable that most of them don't quote the entire phrase:

"Everyone can succeed in this society, if they work hard enough." ...

... or why they might take offense to it -- seeing that it implies that the only barrier to success is your shameful laziness, you lazy minority ...

But all they asked was that their faculty read their list of "microaggressions," they didn't have some kind of 1984 scenario going on. Rolling Eyes
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:39 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

More poor insults, as seen your posting the picture of the black girls is rendered meaningless with no racist history for people to assume she was being racist, but there is countless for whites demeaning blacks, for people to think the lads could or might have been being racist

No insult from me here....you have called me dishonest and childish for posting a pic which proves you wrong.
If you don't like being corrected stop twisting what people say or do.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:41 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

No insult from me here....you have called me dishonest and childish for posting a pic which proves you wrong.

The picture was posted as if to use to nullify what the boys did, when even before you posted this it had been shown that any such view would be moot as it would not be comparable based on history

You have not corrected me and now I have easily proven my point, I am not going to get drawn into some petty fight

Enjoy

Last edited by Didge on Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:41 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

No one is, or should be insulting anyone. This is the kind of lively debate that we strive for. It's a valuable opportunity.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:42 pm

What's funny about these "microaggressions" is that the people who came up with the list are assuming that all black people are loud - because they're black. Laughing  

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 2 Race-terms-uw
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:43 pm

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

No

I suggest you or quill write to  the company that sells the black face masks and outline your reasons for taking it off the market.

I don't think they got offended someone wore the black face mask. They got offended because they acted stereotypically black while wearing something that looks a lot like blackface makeup, and then they took a picture of themselves doing that, and then they posted it to social media.

It doesn't matter if it was paint, mud or chocolate pudding.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:44 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:What's funny about these "microaggressions" is that the people who came up with the list are assuming that all black people are loud - because they're black. Laughing  

No they don't -- show me the language on that document that communicates the message "all black people are loud."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:44 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Syl wrote:

I understand that the investigation cleared the girls of any racial intent, they were posing with face masks on, they could have been white/green/any colour face masks....they just  happened to be black.

The same university seems to have a skewed outlook on what is racially offensive and what is not. In this case they were wrong, as are you.
Last year they banned on campus certain phrases being used...amongst them was "Everybody can succeed" in their opinion it's racist..... Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 2 2190311264

Second of all, they didn't ban any phrases, and the referenced document isn't even there anymore.

It's notable that every website even to make this claim has a clear political agenda. It's also notable that most of them don't quote the entire phrase:

... or why they might take offense to it -- seeing that it implies that the only barrier to success is your shameful laziness, you lazy minority ...

But all they asked was that their faculty read their list of "microaggressions," they didn't have some kind of 1984 scenario going on. Rolling Eyes

They may well mean that the barrier to someone's success is laziness, but you're the one assuming it means laziness as a racial feature.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:46 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

They may well mean that the barrier to someone's success is laziness, but you're the one assuming it means laziness as a racial feature.

Sorry rags, it's years of history. We know the language of racism very well, because we've heard and despised it too long.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:47 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:What's funny about these "microaggressions" is that the people who came up with the list are assuming that all black people are loud - because they're black. Laughing  

No they don't -- show me the language on that document that communicates the message "all black people are loud."

Look at the bottom bit. If you say to a black person - "why do you have to be so loud", it's apparently frowned on because it's implying that they should fit in with the dominant culture. Therefore, it's implying that that a black person who's being loud is doing it because they're black.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:47 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Syl wrote:

If you're a minority and a white person says something like that to you, you might very well conclude that's what they meant. The "laziness" of black people is a common stereotype in the U.S.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:47 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Syl wrote:

It was one of the schools that banned the phrase.
According to links they banned that and other phrases from being used on campus.

Why not encourage everyone that they can succeed if they work hard enough anyway?
Instilling the message that they can succeed if they work hard is the best way for kids to think surely.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next