NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taking the meaning of racism too far.

+8
@lex
Fuzzy Zack
Ben Reilly
Original Quill
eddie
Major
Raggamuffin
Syl
12 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 3 Empty Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Syl Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3454987/Two-college-students-cause-racism-furore-posing-blacked-selfie-undergoing-facial-treatment.html

OMG....talk about over reacting.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 3 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:48 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:What's funny about these "microaggressions" is that the people who came up with the list are assuming that all black people are loud - because they're black. Laughing  

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 3 Race-terms-uw

No they don't -- show me the language on that document that communicates the message "all black people are loud."

Look at the bottom bit. If you say to a black person - "why do you have to be so loud", it's apparently frowned on because it's implying that they should fit in with the dominant culture. Therefore, it's implying that that a black person who's being loud is doing it because they're black.

No, it's implying that you shouldn't tell people what volume they get to speak at Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 3 Empty Re: Taking the meaning of racism too far.

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:49 pm

I'm glad I don't live in the USA. I think I'd be too worried to speak to a black person in case they think I'm being "microaggressive". Then again, if I didn't speak to one, I suppose that would mean that I'm being racist. Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 3 2190311264

Pleeeeeeease, don't let that paranoid shite make its way over to the UK.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:50 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Look at the bottom bit. If you say to a black person - "why do you have to be so loud", it's apparently frowned on because it's implying that they should fit in with the dominant culture. Therefore, it's implying that that a black person who's being loud is doing it because they're black.

No, it's implying that you shouldn't tell people what volume they get to speak at Smile

No, because if you said it to a white person, that wouldn't count. Whoever came up with that list is implying that black people speak loudly because they're black.

If someone was being really loud, I'd ask them to quieten down - can't be doing with loud people.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:50 pm

Stormee wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

No one is, or should be insulting anyone.  This is the kind of lively debate that we strive for.  It's a valuable opportunity.

You last sentence, I wholeheartedly agree and I know for a fact othuz on here also agree.
I would be grateful if you told Sassy.

Everyone has their own style. Lord knows, sassy and I have had our disagreements. But, like good athletes, we have short memories. We get on with the game.

Frankly, I don't know why you carry on with this sociopathy about sassy. She delivers good arguments, and that should make your life good and abundant, as you get all the more opportunity to express your point of view.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:52 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I'm glad I don't live in the USA. I think I'd be too worried to speak to a black person in case they think I'm being "microaggressive". Then again, if I didn't speak to one, I suppose that would mean that I'm being racist. Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 3 2190311264

Really, you'd get along fine for the most part as long as you treated people with the respect you'd want for yourself.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:53 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:

No insult from me here....you have called me dishonest and childish for posting a pic which proves you wrong.
If you don't like being corrected stop twisting what people say or do.

The picture was posted as if to use to nullify what the boys did, when even before you posted this it had been shown that any such view would be moot as it would not be comparable based on history

You have not corrected me and now I have easily proven my point, I am not going to get drawn into some petty fight

Enjoy

That's not why I posted the pic, as I have said.
I don't want to indulge in petty fighting btw....but you make such daft statements about winning every argument when you clearly have not.....they need to be corrected.
Stop insulting and down to people all the time (no one else is) and the debate wont sink into childishness.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:54 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I'm glad I don't live in the USA. I think I'd be too worried to speak to a black person in case they think I'm being "microaggressive". Then again, if I didn't speak to one, I suppose that would mean that I'm being racist. Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 3 2190311264

Really, you'd get along fine for the most part as long as you treated people with the respect you'd want for yourself.

I wouldn't if you have to think about every single fucking thing you say to a person who happens to be black. You can keep your awful paranoid PC crap.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:56 pm

You can't even ask an Asian person where they're from in case they think you're accusing them of not being American!

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:57 pm

I think there is a big rift between Americans and British on understanding racism, and on understanding it's depth and breadth.  As both didge and I have said, it's because of history.  There is a big difference between US and British history on racism.  

To their credit, Britain outlawed slavery in 1833, and stopped the practice long before that.  But it has shielded the average Brit from exposure to the depravity of racism, including the history and infiltration into the language, values, beliefs and symbols of society.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:59 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:You can't even ask an Asian person where they're from in case they think you're accusing them of not being American!

Correct! Most people of Asian ancestry in the U.S. were born here. Assuming otherwise does indeed sound to them like you don't think they're as American as a white person.

On second thought, maybe it's best you stay in the UK, I'm thinking you'd have a hard time keeping up Wink
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:00 pm

I wonder (in this day and age) whether black people do get insulted about things which clearly have no racist intention?

We cant live in the past ....I wouldn't be surprised if the people who kick up all the fuss are white people desperately trying to make up for what their forefathers did, and the result is political correctness gone mad.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:01 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:You can't even ask an Asian person where they're from in case they think you're accusing them of not being American!

Correct! Most people of Asian ancestry in the U.S. were born here. Assuming otherwise does indeed sound to them like you don't think they're as American as a white person.

On second thought, maybe it's best you stay in the UK, I'm thinking you'd have a hard time keeping up Wink

One of the mainstays of British small talk when you meet someone new is to ask them where they're from, or if they're local, or whatever. They don't usually say - "ARE YOU ACCUSING ME OF BEING AN ALIEN?" Rolling Eyes
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:01 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

I wouldn't if you have to think about every single fucking thing you say to a person who happens to be black. You can keep your awful paranoid PC crap.

Do you make it a habit to say things to people without consideration of whether what you're saying is impolite?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:02 pm

Oh, and I must remember never to ask my friend from Hong Kong anything about maths or science because it's fucking racist apparently.

Good grief, how do you people manage to get through the days in the US?

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:02 pm

Original Quill wrote:

I think there is a big rift between Americans and British on understanding racism, and on understanding it's depth and breadth.  As both didge and I have said, it's because of history.  There is a big difference between US and British history on racism.  

To their credit, Britain outlawed slavery in 1833, and stopped the practice long before that.  But it has shielded the average Brit from exposure to the depravity of racism, including the history and infiltration into the language, values, beliefs and symbols of society.

I think that's a logical explanation.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

One of the mainstays of British small talk when you meet someone new is to ask them where they're from, or if they're local, or whatever. They don't usually say - "ARE YOU ACCUSING ME OF BEING AN ALIEN?" Rolling Eyes

What do you know, we have a different culture from you!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Oh, and I must remember never to ask my friend from Hong Kong anything about maths or science because it's fucking racist apparently.

Mainly by not stereotyping people.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:04 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Do you make it a habit to say things to people without consideration of whether what you're saying is impolite?

No, I just don't think it's impolite to ask someone where they're from, or to discuss science with an Asian person.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:04 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Oh, and I must remember never to ask my friend from Hong Kong anything about maths or science because it's fucking racist apparently.

Mainly by not stereotyping people.

You're the ones doing that, not me.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:05 pm

Next time someone asks me where I'm from, I'm going to ask them if they're implying that I'm an alien. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:05 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

No, I just don't think it's impolite to ask someone where they're from, or to discuss science with an Asian person.

Look, I'm sure I'd stick my foot in my mouth my first day trying to fit into British culture -- I'd talk about my fanny pack or something. Cultures have a lot of rules, that's pretty much what they are -- lots of rules that don't always make sense to people who didn't grow up in them.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:06 pm

Stormee wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I had 2 months in Vegas and it was more than OBVIOUS that Americans detested Mexicans,

Some do, some don't. My sister's godparents are Mexican.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:06 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

So you would ask a white person where they're from, but not a non-white person? That's a bit racist.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:07 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Look, I'm sure I'd stick my foot in my mouth my first day trying to fit into British culture -- I'd talk about my fanny pack or something. Cultures have a lot of rules, that's pretty much what they are -- lots of rules that don't always make sense to people who didn't grow up in them.

Not really, because as soon as you opened your mouth, people would know you're a yank and that you like to talk about fannies. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:08 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

You said people of today who have nothing to do with should apologise?

Nobody did, but people should learn from history and understand why something is still very sensitive to African Americans.

Again have you at any time thought from their view point?

No

If a black person gets offended by me or anyone else wearing a black face mask then they are hysterical and paranoid and can go fuck themselves

I suggest you or quill write to  the company that sells the black face masks and outline your reasons for taking it off the market.

Then move on the people who make liquorice.

Well its doubtful they would in this country, but more probable in the US where racism is still a big problem

I suggest you stop being rude and childish and learn to for once imagine what its like to walk in their shoes where everyday, they are judged for the colour of their skin

Not everyone
And not every day

You're starting to sound as hysterical as quill and I know you're more level-headed than that

Ps in what way was my post rude? Telling imaginary people to go fuck themselves???? lol!

Last edited by eddie on Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:08 pm

Syl wrote:I wonder (in this day and age) whether black people do get insulted about things which clearly have no racist intention?

We cant live in the past ....I wouldn't be surprised if the people who kick up all the fuss are white people desperately trying to make up for what their forefathers did, and the result is political correctness gone mad.

But we wouldn't even have this discussion if there was not something there.  It's well and good to try to package up racism and put in in the back of the closet.  But go down to Alabama and see if the average person has stored it away.

The answer is no.  How many black men were killed by white cops just last year?  You were witness to those murders, thanks to cell phone cameras.  But black lives matter is just a symptom of the problem.  People in certain parts of the country still believe, in varying degrees, in the sentiment that caused those cops to murder.

It lingers in the language, in the values, in the beliefs, and in the symbols, packaged in our history...as we have just seen in two University girls posing and joking about it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:09 pm

There is only one race, the human race.

Do not say that - it's denying an individual as a racial/cultural being apparently.

Who came up with this shit? Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:10 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

So you would ask a white person where they're from, but not a non-white person? That's a bit racist.

There are ways to ask that question that don't imply the person wasn't born in the U.S. Again, if you lived here you'd probably pick up on that eventually.

One thing I do is mention that I was born in Maryland but raised in Texas. That opens the door for someone to talk about where they were born and raised, if they want to.

I can't emphasize this enough, though -- you do realize that the definition of politeness and rudeness varies from culture to culture, don't you?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:14 pm

Love this video. Laughing

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:14 pm

I think racism is bigger issue and problem in the US than in the UK - hence why we all see things differently on here.

I mean a black face mask???? Come on!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by @lex Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:16 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
There is only one race, the human race.

Do not say that - it's denying an individual as a racial/cultural being apparently.

Someone with an understanding of science.
@lex
@lex
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:17 pm

It's a nice concept but it will never take on lol!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:18 pm

eddie wrote:I think racism is bigger issue and problem in the US than in the UK - hence why we all see things differently on here.

It must be on their mind all the time over there. What a way to live.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:21 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:I wonder (in this day and age) whether black people do get insulted about things which clearly have no racist intention?

But we wouldn't even have this discussion if there was not something there.  It's well and good to try to package up racism and put in in the back of the closet.  But go down to Alabama and see if the average person has stored it away.

The answer is no.  How many black men were killed by white cops just last year?  You were witness to those murders, thanks to cell phone cameras.  But black lives matter is just a symptom of the problem.  People in certain parts of the country still believe, in varying degrees, in the sentiment that caused those cops to murder.

It lingers in the language, in the values, in the beliefs, and in the symbols, packaged in our history...as we have just seen in two University girls posing and joking about it.

Well are any black people on this thread?
I wonder how many black people as opposed to white people called for an investigation at Wisconsin uni?

And the two girls were not joking about race....they were larking about with face packs on....the face packs were black that's all.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:22 pm

Syl I find that most of the "racist issues" are raised by do-goody whites than blacks.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:23 pm

@lex wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Someone with an understanding of science.

It's on that list of microaggressions. Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 3 3852033631
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:24 pm

eddie wrote:Syl I find that most of the "racist issues" are raised by do-goody whites than blacks.

That certainly seems to be the case on this forum. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:24 pm

I've got a feeling that you're going to be using that word a lot rags....... lol!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:24 pm

I've just realised that I posted a "hand sign". Is that racist?

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 3 3852033631

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:25 pm

eddie wrote:I've got a feeling that you're going to be using that word a lot rags....... lol!

I love it! I've never read such a load of tripe in my life - it's just too awful to take seriously. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:27 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:Syl I find that most of the "racist issues" are raised by do-goody whites than blacks.

That certainly seems to be the case on this forum. Laughing

I agree with both of you...actually that seems to be the case on every forum I have ever been on.
My next door neighbours are Indian.....I never have to think about what I am saying when I talk to them...or them me.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:29 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Love this video. Laughing

It was OK I guess, but it does raise a good point -- the rules of avoiding stereotypes really only apply to interactions between people who don't know one another well and people who are in a power structure like student/teacher or employee/boss. People here joke about racial stereotypes all the time -- the key is that it comes from a friend, not your professor or a stranger.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:30 pm

Look at these racist smilies. Ben, your forum is a disgrace!

monkey afro Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 3 3862633342 Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 3 2108625937 clown
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:

It was OK I guess, but it does raise a good point -- the rules of avoiding stereotypes really only apply to interactions between people who don't know one another well and people who are in a power structure like student/teacher or employee/boss. People here joke about racial stereotypes all the time -- the key is that it comes from a friend, not your professor or a stranger.

So you would not ask an Asian member of staff where the calculators are?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:31 pm

eddie wrote:I think racism is bigger issue and problem in the US than in the UK - hence why we all see things differently on here.

Here ya go:

Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 3 Minstrel%2Bblackface-makeup-1

I guess we should pretend that doesn't exist.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:32 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with that. The humor of this video is in the exaggeration, obviously.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:33 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with that. The humor of this video is in the exaggeration, obviously.

Thank goodness for that. You sound as if it would actually be valid to not ask an Asian member of staff where the calculators are though. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:35 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Look at these racist smilies. Ben, your forum is a disgrace!

monkey afro Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 3 3862633342 Taking the meaning of racism too far. - Page 3 2108625937 clown

Discrimination against bananas is a no go area in my book. Shocked
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:38 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Look at these racist smilies. Ben, your forum is a disgrace!

Discrimination against bananas is a no go area in my book. Shocked

That banana is wearing a kilt - that's clearly microaggression because it suggests that Scottish people look like bananas and/or dance in a funny way. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next