NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What many Christians get wrong on July 4th

3 posters

Go down

What many Christians get wrong on July 4th Empty What many Christians get wrong on July 4th

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:12 am

This July 4th, like every other I remember, I’m going to a birthday party for a nation. But what makes this party unique from others is that the birthday girl—America—thinks she’s the fairest of them all. According to a 2013 Rasmussen poll, 59 percent of likely U.S. voters believe the United States is more exceptional than other nations. Just 27 percent disagree.

“On the Fourth of July, we don’t only celebrate the birth of our nation,” writes conservative columnists Ken Blackwell and Ken Klukowski. “We celebrate American exceptionalism—everything that makes the United States the greatest nation on earth.”

The term “American exceptionalism” is not a new one; it’s often traced back to Alexis de Tocqueville and the belief that our economic underpinnings were extraordinary. In recent years, however, the term has grown and evolved as American politicians have trumpeted it with increasing frequency. But is America better than other nations, and if so, is it something Christians should shout from their star-spangled rooftops?

- See more at: http://jonathanmerritt.religionnews.com/2014/07/03/many-christians-get-wrong-july-4th/#sthash.3Zyg562J.dpuf

Back to top Go down

What many Christians get wrong on July 4th Empty Re: What many Christians get wrong on July 4th

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:51 am

There are many people from different nations who think their country is the be all of it Didge, yes imthinkmtheir is a percentage of Americans who think like this, but a lot of it is pride...amd I'm sure that if other countries had the riches that the US as a country have had, the fame of producing blockbuster movies etc, then they would be very proud too.

I'm proud of both Scotlamd and Britain, while we don't have the size or armour of the US army, we are still a might force to be reckoned with for such a small island.

Back to top Go down

What many Christians get wrong on July 4th Empty Re: What many Christians get wrong on July 4th

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:36 am

Joy Division wrote:There are many people from different nations who think their country is the be all of it Didge, yes imthinkmtheir is a percentage of Americans who think like this, but a lot of it is pride...amd I'm sure that if other countries had the riches that the US as a country have had, the fame of producing blockbuster movies etc, then they would be very proud too.

I'm proud of both Scotlamd and Britain, while we don't have the size or armour of the US army, we are still a might force to be reckoned with for such a small island.

I think American exceptionalism goes beyond national pride and becomes psychosis, it's based (for most who believe in it) on the idea that God loves America more than any other country, and comes with similar ideas like all the best ideas are American, thus American systems and customs are by default considered superior to those of any other country.

It's probably why so many of our right-wingers hate soccer, actually! I remember this old Bubba of a coach who said "I think soccer's communist, and they just need to keep it over there"  Rolling Eyes 

So we end up with a dialogue like this all the time:

LEFTY: We need to have single-payer health care and more gun restrictions.

RIGHTY: Seriously?! Then we'll end up being like Canada/the UK/France/Australia!

LEFTY: So? Those countries do health care better than we do and have far fewer gun deaths.

RIGHTY: But ... 'Murica! (head explodes)

It's exactly the same as trying to tell a devoutly religious person that there's no evidence for the existence of God, they just can't force their brains to even process the idea. That's the danger of faith, the faithful can't allow themselves to entertain certain ideas deemed "heretical."
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:48 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Joy Division wrote:There are many people from different nations who think their country is the be all of it Didge, yes imthinkmtheir is a percentage of Americans who think like this, but a lot of it is pride...amd I'm sure that if other countries had the riches that the US as a country have had, the fame of producing blockbuster movies etc, then they would be very proud too.

I think American exceptionalism goes beyond national pride and becomes psychosis, it's based (for most who believe in it) on the idea that God loves America more than any other country, and comes with similar ideas like all the best ideas are American, thus American systems and customs are by default considered superior to those of any other country.

It's probably why so many of our right-wingers hate soccer, actually! I remember this old Bubba of a coach who said "I think soccer's communist, and they just need to keep it over there"  Rolling Eyes 

RIGHTY: Seriously?! Then we'll end up being like Canada/the UK/France/Australia!

LEFTY: So? Those countries do health care better than we do and have far fewer gun deaths.

It's exactly the same as trying to tell a devoutly religious person that there's no evidence for the existence of God, they just can't force their brains to even process the idea. That's the danger of faith, the faithful can't allow themselves to entertain certain ideas deemed "heretical."

...sounds a bit like brainwashing being instilled from a very early agar then!...

Soccer- communist  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:40 am

Joy Division wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

...sounds a bit like brainwashing being instilled from a very early agar then!...

Oh, absolutely. It's instilled in a lot of people (particularly from conservative families) from a very young age, and it's creepy as hell.

We have people sending their kids to church schools or home-schooling them because they want to pump more religio-patriotism into their kids than public schools will allow.

Check this freaky shit some of our people do to their kids and tell me it doesn't reek of a cult:

(from the documentary 'Jesus Camp')

And check this out:

When the Gospel Community Church in Coxsackie, New York, breaks midservice to excuse children for Sunday school, nearly half of the 225-strong congregation patters toward the back of the worship hall: the five youngest children of Pastor Stan Slager's eight, assistant pastor Bartly Heneghan's eleven and the Dufkin family's thirteen, among many others. "The Missionettes," a team of young girls who perform ribbon dances during the praise music, put down their "glory hoops" to join their classmates; the pews empty out. It's the un-ignorable difference between the families at Gospel Community and those in the rest of the town that's led some to wonder if the church isn't a cult that forces its disciples to keep pushing out children.

But after the kids leave, Pastor Stan doesn't exhort his congregation to bear children. His approach is more subtle, reminding them to present their bodies as living sacrifices to the Lord, and preaching to them about Acts 5:20: Go tell "all the words of this life." Or, in Pastor Stan's guiding translation, to lead lives that make outsiders think, "Christianity is real," lives that "demand an explanation."

Lives such as these: Janet Wolfson is a 44-year-old mother of eight in Canton, Georgia. Tracie Moore, a 39-year-old midwife who lives in southern Kentucky, is mother to fourteen. Wendy Dufkin in Coxsackie has her thirteen. And while Jamie Stoltzfus, a 27-year-old Illinois mom, has only four children so far, she plans on bearing enough to populate "two teams." All four mothers are devoted to a way of life New York Times columnist David Brooks has praised as a new spiritual movement taking hold among exurban and Sunbelt families. Brooks called these parents "natalists" and described their progeny as a new wave of "Red-Diaper Babies"--as in "red state." (Read -- conservative, Christian, Republican)

But Wolfson, Moore and thousands of mothers like them call themselves and their belief system "Quiverfull." They borrow their name from Psalm 127: "Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate." Quiverfull mothers think of their children as no mere movement but as an army they're building for God.

Quiverfull parents try to have upwards of six children. They home-school their families, attend fundamentalist churches and follow biblical guidelines of male headship--"Father knows best"--and female submissiveness. They refuse any attempt to regulate pregnancy. Quiverfull began with the publication of Rick and Jan Hess's 1989 book, A Full Quiver: Family Planning and the Lordship of Christ, which argues that God, as the "Great Physician" and sole "Birth Controller," opens and closes the womb on a case-by-case basis. Women's attempts to control their own bodies--the Lord's temple--are a seizure of divine power.

http://www.thenation.com/article/arrows-war#
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:37 am

I think the general feeling across the world is that Americans are rather over-zealous and wear their hearts on their sleeve in a very public way - think Rikki Lake era and now The Joke that's Jerry Springer, and oh God, the puke-fest that is Oprah Winfrey!

I think England has certainly taken something from America in that sense: the public outpouring of grief that went on for days over Princess Diana's death was very American but it was a good thing, I thought.

I think America is actually one of those countries that is either admired or ridiculed, like all big nations, it gets a lot of bad press at times.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:41 am

lol what a pathetic little article.

Good for them i say!

Ask every person in the world if they are a great person - the majority would say yes.

Ask every person in the world if they are an exceptional person - yes.

Ask every person if they are "a reasonable person" - majority - yes.

Ask every person if they are a humble person - majority - yes.

It's human nature.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:42 am

I've said it many times - small country syndrome.

The South American hate America.

Every little country hates England.

Every little man would love to beat the sh1t out of the big man.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:55 am

I love America........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I had written about a page on this but deleted it because it was turning into an essay  Smile 
There are lots of things wrong with America but i think there is more right with it

The politics and system of government is not the best in the world, in fact, it's downright stupid at times (i await the sharp pain in the back :-)  )

They (not all) believe in the words on the dollar bill without question

i just watched a story on sky

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/07/mother-son-drive-into-sinkhole-truck-rides-over-them/

The woman said she survived "because an angel was watching over them "

Some bloody use that angel then!!!

Perhaps prevention of the accident in the first place would have been more helpfull

there justice system is a joke (sorrry quill)
we watch OJ simpson get away with murder we watch Zimmerman get away with murder and we say "only in America eh!!!" then smile with that ironic smile

Edds said "England has certainly taken something from America" but i think the whole world has and American TV and movies  has played a huge part in that

i watch alot of american television pretty much excusivly to be honest my tv in my office is on sky news pretty much 24/7
But i watch the american channels ether over the net or the unscrabled/scrabled carriers in the easten hemisphere via my dreambox and can see its influance certantly in this country

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:06 am

In England, if there's a murder especially a child some people can't wait to rush out and buy flowers or/and teddy bears which are placed as near as possible to the incident as soon as possible, a lot of these people don't even know the victim. Seems a bit "over the top" to me. do they do this in America?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:12 am

nicko wrote:In England, if there's a murder especially a child some people can't wait to rush out and buy flowers or/and teddy bears which are placed as near as possible to the incident as soon as possible, a lot of these people don't even know the victim. Seems a bit "over the top" to me. do they do this in America?

That all started with Princess Di.

I agree, it's sickly.

It's usually chavs - decent, respectable families don't do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:23 am

BigAndy9 wrote:
nicko wrote:In England, if there's a murder especially a child some people can't wait to rush out and buy flowers or/and teddy bears which are placed as near as possible to the incident as soon as possible, a lot of these people don't even know the victim. Seems a bit "over the top" to me. do they do this in America?

I agree, it's sickly.

i don't like it ether to be honest ,I think its more about the chance to be on tv for most of them (Di i would say was the exception to that )

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:24 am

BigAndy9 wrote:

I agree, it's sickly.

That's what I said above, the whole Diana thing was a very American thing.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:21 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

Oh, absolutely. It's instilled in a lot of people (particularly from conservative families) from a very young age, and it's creepy as hell.

We have people sending their kids to church schools or home-schooling them because they want to pump more religio-patriotism into their kids than public schools will allow.

Check this freaky shit some of our people do to their kids and tell me it doesn't reek of a cult:

(from the documentary 'Jesus Camp')

And check this out:

When the Gospel Community Church in Coxsackie, New York, breaks midservice to excuse children for Sunday school, nearly half of the 225-strong congregation patters toward the back of the worship hall: the five youngest children of Pastor Stan Slager's eight, assistant pastor Bartly Heneghan's eleven and the Dufkin family's thirteen, among many others. "The Missionettes," a team of young girls who perform ribbon dances during the praise music, put down their "glory hoops" to join their classmates; the pews empty out. It's the un-ignorable difference between the families at Gospel Community and those in the rest of the town that's led some to wonder if the church isn't a cult that forces its disciples to keep pushing out children.

But after the kids leave, Pastor Stan doesn't exhort his congregation to bear children. His approach is more subtle, reminding them to present their bodies as living sacrifices to the Lord, and preaching to them about Acts 5:20: Go tell "all the words of this life." Or, in Pastor Stan's guiding translation, to lead lives that make outsiders think, "Christianity is real," lives that "demand an explanation."

Lives such as these: Janet Wolfson is a 44-year-old mother of eight in Canton, Georgia. Tracie Moore, a 39-year-old midwife who lives in southern Kentucky, is mother to fourteen. Wendy Dufkin in Coxsackie has her thirteen. And while Jamie Stoltzfus, a 27-year-old Illinois mom, has only four children so far, she plans on bearing enough to populate "two teams." All four mothers are devoted to a way of life New York Times columnist David Brooks has praised as a new spiritual movement taking hold among exurban and Sunbelt families. Brooks called these parents "natalists" and described their progeny as a new wave of "Red-Diaper Babies"--as in "red state." (Read -- conservative, Christian, Republican)

But Wolfson, Moore and thousands of mothers like them call themselves and their belief system "Quiverfull." They borrow their name from Psalm 127: "Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate." Quiverfull mothers think of their children as no mere movement but as an army they're building for God.

Quiverfull parents try to have upwards of six children. They home-school their families, attend fundamentalist churches and follow biblical guidelines of male headship--"Father knows best"--and female submissiveness. They refuse any attempt to regulate pregnancy. Quiverfull began with the publication of Rick and Jan Hess's 1989 book, A Full Quiver: Family Planning and the Lordship of Christ, which argues that God, as the "Great Physician" and sole "Birth Controller," opens and closes the womb on a case-by-case basis. Women's attempts to control their own bodies--the Lord's temple--are a seizure of divine power.

http://www.thenation.com/article/arrows-war#

This is actually sick...female submissiveness , wee lassies dancing around with ribbons in praise of "God" , encouraging women to have as many kids as possible .....

And I think this kind of stuff is going way beyond Instilling fear into children , this is cruelty and psychological abuse...kids should be thinking about playing with their friends , yes ....playing with ribbons , but not forced to do so for some God who most likely doesn't exist.

It's awful reading things like that and I've no idea just how those kids feel, this definitely is abusive control and those kids are being robbed of a proper childhood ...a normal one.

These parents shouldn't be allowed custody of those kids, this is an example of severe brainwashing and abuse.

If religious parents want their kids to have religion in their lives, then surely Sunday service should be enough?

Bairns should be allowed to be bairns.

This is sad.Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:34 am

BigAndy9 wrote:

I agree, it's sickly.

I think when it's a wee bairn then some folk do have compassion Andy...

I did find it strange when people were crying over Diana , sad as it was ..I couldn't, but when it was the wee boy Jamie Bulger, I really did feel sad ...and angry at those two who murdered him...just to picture what he went threw...bricks thrown at him , punched , tied to train tracks, what a horrific ending, what he had to endure must have just been up unimaginable...

And only 3 years old, no , I don't think when it comes to kids everyone is full of patter, many people have children themselves and have genuine compassion and anger when they hear this sort of thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down