NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

‘Dead wrong about the Bible': Portland pastor annihilates Christians who use religion to push bigotry

Go down

‘Dead wrong about the Bible': Portland pastor annihilates Christians who use religion to push bigotry Empty ‘Dead wrong about the Bible': Portland pastor annihilates Christians who use religion to push bigotry

Post by Guest Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:02 pm

In a commentary for the Huffington Post, an Oregon minister makes a biblical case for gay marriage — and scolds politicians who campaign on homophobia. “With its historic ruling on Marriage Equality Friday,” writes Adam Phillips, pastor at Christ Church: Portland, “the U.S. Supreme Court finally caught up to the movement of the Holy Spirit. That’s right. I said it.” “I am an evangelical Christian pastor (and proud of it),” Phillips continues, “and I believe that the freedom bell of love and justice just pealed a little louder and the arc of history is bent a little closer to justice.” Phillips specifically calls our Rick Santorum and Mike Huckabee, Christian presidential candidates who vocally oppose marriage rights for couples of the same gender.
“They’re dead wrong about the Bible and about their commitment to Marriage Exclusion,” Phillips argues. “Too often, religious conservatives will claim that marriage equality not only redefines holy matrimony, but is against biblical marriage. But the Bible has curiously malleable, sometimes contradictory, dramatically heterodox definitions of marriage.”

The pastor goes on to cite numerous examples of biblically-endorsed marriage arrangements that do not consist of a monogamous, heterosexual couple committed in a union recognized by God. “There’s the definition of Biblical marriage in which a man must marry his deceased brother’s wife,” Phillips begins, “Then there’s the Biblical marriage definition that mandates a raped woman to be wed to her rapist, but only after the rapist pays the raped woman’s father 50 coins… Then there’s the complicated story where Moses and the Israelites conquer the Midianites and divide the spoils, including property, livestock and women, marrying conquered Midianite women off to the victorious soldiers. Sound like Game of Thrones? It’s in the Bible (see Numbers 31)… The Bible also defines marriage and family rules when it comes to slave ownership: the married slaves may eventually go free, but the children of that union must stay enslaved… The Bible allows for polygamy, too.”

“Redefine marriage?” Phillips asks facetiously. “People of faith have been wrestling with this for years in our holy books and in our Spirit-led convictions.” In his essay, the Portland minister shares his experience as a young seminarian at Chicago’s North Park University, where he witnessed a lesbian professor lose her job. The woman’s firing disturbed Phillips. “The University had just fired an out-lesbian professor for being in a committed, long-term relationship,” Phillips writes. “Her alleged sin? Being born gay. That’s when I began to rethink my own long-held, traditional views on same-sex marriage and orientation. Why would we single out a faithful, monogamous woman and not single out others for perhaps more deadly sins such as greed, avarice or gluttony? Why were we so hung up on LGBTQ matters while children were dying for lack of basic health care in Africa and we were sending young American women and men into wars in the Middle East for dubious reasons?”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/dead-wrong-about-the-bible-portland-pastor-annihilates-christians-who-use-religion-to-push-bigotry/

Now that is somebody you understands the message of love by Jesus.
So well does he understand love, he deserves a video to empathize that.

Back to top Go down

‘Dead wrong about the Bible': Portland pastor annihilates Christians who use religion to push bigotry Empty Re: ‘Dead wrong about the Bible': Portland pastor annihilates Christians who use religion to push bigotry

Post by Guest Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:37 pm

There are some Pastors that will agree and yet if they read scripture closely they will see that they are going against the word of God , if anyone preaches a false gospel they are cursed .

Back to top Go down

‘Dead wrong about the Bible': Portland pastor annihilates Christians who use religion to push bigotry Empty Re: ‘Dead wrong about the Bible': Portland pastor annihilates Christians who use religion to push bigotry

Post by Guest Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:42 pm

lol, perhaps he needs to reread his bible..... Smile Smile

‘Dead wrong about the Bible': Portland pastor annihilates Christians who use religion to push bigotry Z

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:47 pm

heavenlyfatheragain wrote:lol, perhaps he needs to reread his bible..... Smile Smile

‘Dead wrong about the Bible': Portland pastor annihilates Christians who use religion to push bigotry Z

He might be gay ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Well if you think the points he read out are not in the bible, I guess you two need to read it lol.

Now he is what I call a Christian

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:53 pm

Vicar of Dibley wrote:
heavenlyfatheragain wrote:lol, perhaps he needs to reread his bible..... Smile Smile

He might be gay ?

he's married, it's a tiny church he might be trying to make a name for himself....

10. Romans 1:26-27: "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet."

not sure how he gets round solid scripture...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:53 pm

Cuchulain wrote:Well if you think the points he read out are not in the bible, I guess you two need to read it lol.

Laughing

no he is not he is going against God's word .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:55 pm

Talk about missing his whole which you just proved by posting that verse HF lol

Never mind, but there is a Christian you could learn from, one that understands love..

See ya

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:02 pm

Vicar of Dibley wrote:
Cuchulain wrote:Well if you think the points he read out are not in the bible, I guess you two need to read it lol.

Laughing

no he is not he is going against God's word .

of course the pastor is, the scripture I showed proves it... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down