NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free speech....clampdown or not?

+4
eddie
Eilzel
nicko
Syl
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Free speech....clampdown or not? - Page 2 Empty Free speech....clampdown or not?

Post by Syl Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

So the latest 'celeb' in trouble for making an unfunny very un pc 'joke is Jimmy Carr (again) should he be forced  to grovel and apologise? or should people be allowed to speak, or tell jokes unhindered by the distress they may cause?

The 'joke' was btw ..."Is a dwarf an abortion that made it?”

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/jimmy-carr-standup-tour-abortion-dwarf-joke-backlash-criticism-a8968486.html
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Free speech....clampdown or not? - Page 2 Empty Re: Free speech....clampdown or not?

Post by Guest Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:40 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Who claimed anyone is obliged to laugh at something they do not personnally find funny?

Nobody claimed they had no sense of humour either.

Not even what I said.

Yes you did.

In reality many people do have a sense of humour failure and in reality. If we cannot laugh at ourselves. Then people will always lack a sense of humour.

Not even the same ball park, so stop lying.

Lacking something does not mean then you have no sense of humour

If I meant they have no sense of humour, I would say they have no sense of humour

As usual you are looking to twist things, because your arguments are poor

Back to top Go down

Free speech....clampdown or not? - Page 2 Empty Re: Free speech....clampdown or not?

Post by Syl Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:35 pm

Why ruin a debate by dissecting ONE word and trying to put a different slant on what you meant.
Rags isn't lying, she commented on what you said, and what you said was people who dont laugh... lack a sense of humour....which means they are without one.

I couldn't laugh at Carrs joke, not because I find it cruel or un pc, and not because I lack a sense of humour, but because it's just not funny to me, or I suspect the majority of people.

Would a joke about pregnant women being prescribed thalidomide and producing deformed offspring be funny to some I wonder?

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:38 pm

Syl wrote:Why ruin a debate by dissecting ONE word and trying to put a different slant on what you meant.
Rags isn't lying, she commented on what you said, and what you said was people who dont laugh... lack a sense of humour....which means they are without one.

I couldn't laugh at Carrs joke, not because I find it cruel or un pc, and not because I lack a sense of humour, but because it's just not funny to me, or I suspect the majority of people.

Would a joke about pregnant women being prescribed  thalidomide and producing deformed offspring be funny to some I wonder?

Really?

You are telling me what I mean by a word, even after me explaining exactly what I meant?
I am jnot ruining anything and have explain what i meant, so why are you now sticking your nose in to further fuel something you are completely wrong on. You nor rags get to deicde what I meant.

Do you understand that?

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:41 pm

phildidge wrote:
Syl wrote:Why ruin a debate by dissecting ONE word and trying to put a different slant on what you meant.

Would a joke about pregnant women being prescribed  thalidomide and producing deformed offspring be funny to some I wonder?

Really?

You are telling me what I mean by a word, even after me explaining exactly what I meant?
I am jnot ruining anything and have explain what i meant, so why are you now sticking your nose in to further fuel something you are completely wrong on. You nor rags get to deicde what I meant.

Do you understand that?

Well then use a word with the correct meaning to what you are trying to say in future to avoid further confusion. Wink

"lack
/lak/
noun
noun: lack; plural noun: lacks
the state of being without or not having enough of something.
"there is no lack of entertainment aboard ship"
synonyms:
absence, want, need, deficiency, dearth, insufficiency, shortage, shortfall, scarcity, paucity, unavailability, scarceness, undersupply, deficit, scantiness, sparseness, meagreness, inadequacy, shortness, deprivation, destitution, privation, famine, drought, poverty, non-existence, rareness, infrequency, uncommonness;"

Last edited by Syl on Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:42 pm

Syl wrote:
phildidge wrote:

Really?

Do you understand that?

Well then use a word with the correct meaning to what you are trying to say in future to avoid further confusion. Wink

I did use the correct meaning and clarified my meaning

the state of being without or not having enough of something.

be without or deficient in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:46 pm

Also, my point was in regards to people being able to laugh at themselves and those not able to lacking a sense of humour. But hey ho, as usual people try to twist something the other says.

"If we cannot laugh at ourselves. Then people will always lack a sense of humour."

See how badly Rags actually tries to twist what I had said

Hey ho

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:49 pm

phildidge wrote:Also, my point was in regards to people being able to laugh at themselves and those not able to lacking a sense of humour. But hey ho, as usual people try to twist something the other says.

"If we cannot laugh at ourselves. Then people will always lack a sense of humour."

Hey ho

It depends what the so called joke is, why should people laugh at themselves if the joke is cruel...should they be considered to have no sense of humour (lack one) if they dont find it amusing?

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:55 pm

Syl wrote:
phildidge wrote:Also, my point was in regards to people being able to laugh at themselves and those not able to lacking a sense of humour. But hey ho, as usual people try to twist something the other says.

Hey ho

It depends what the so called joke is, why should people laugh at themselves if the joke is cruel...should they be considered to have no sense of humour (lack one) if they dont find it amusing?

Well for example I laugh all the time when Andy takes the right piss out of me with poems. I dont take it as cruel, but in good humour.

Like I said, people should be able to laugh at themselves, otheriwse they lack a sense of humour. As the reality is Andy did so in jest and with no malice. If people do something in malice and hate, its not a joke.

Hope I have helped you understand herew

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:58 pm

I often smile at Andy's little odes too....so no Didge, you have taught me nothing .

Off out to enjoy the good weather...have a good day. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:00 pm

Syl wrote:I often smile at Andy's little odes too....so no Didge, you have taught me nothing .

Off out to enjoy the good weather...have a good day. x

Well that is a shame, you never learnt from an easy explanation

Have a good day

x

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2