NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free Speech

+2
Cass
veya_victaous
6 posters

Go down

Free Speech  Empty Free Speech

Post by veya_victaous Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:46 am

Free Speech  Free_speech

http://www.xkcd.com/1357/
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Free Speech  Empty Re: Free Speech

Post by Cass Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:05 am

Hahaha....brilliant
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:27 am

Yes, but I don't think we should ignore the principle.  

I agree that free speech does not absolve you of fair comment in response.  But distinguish between fair comment and prior restraint.

As a private board, you are still going to get criticized for shutting someone off because of the subject matter. That is prior restraint.  I have to admit myself, it appears cowardly.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:34 am

Original Quill wrote:Yes, but I don't think we should ignore the principle.  

I agree that free speech does not absolve you of fair comment in response.  But distinguish between fair comment and prior restraint.

As a private board, you are still going to get criticized for shutting someone off because of the subject matter.  That  is prior restraint.  I have to admit myself, it appears cowardly.

yes but their right to say something stupid does not exceed my right to call them an idiot, we are equal, they get to be stupid and i get to call them idiots  cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:37 am

veya_victaous wrote:

As a private board, you are still going to get criticized for shutting someone off because of the subject matter.  That  is prior restraint.  I have to admit myself, it appears cowardly.

yes but their right to say something stupid does not exceed my right to call them an idiot, we are equal, they get to be stupid and i get to call them idiots  cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers  cheers 

Well of course. That is fair comment. What is not kosher is prior restraint on a subject.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:46 am

The biggest problem with many RWers I find is that they mistake free speech for meaning they can say what they want without anyone criticising them or challenging their opinion.

So for a RWer they can assert a negative view of say black people or gay people etc because they are free to do so. But if a liberal dares assert a view is bigoted- the RWer screams this is the Left being against free spreech---wtf?

Free speech works both ways Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:55 am

Eilzel wrote:The biggest problem with many RWers I find is that they mistake free speech for meaning they can say what they want without anyone criticising them or challenging their opinion.

So for a RWer they can assert a negative view of say black people or gay people etc because they are free to do so. But if a liberal dares assert a view is bigoted- the RWer screams this is the Left being against free spreech---wtf?

There are some people who claim to be "left wing" on here, and they also think they can say what they like with impunity. They also tend to get rather personal if someone disagrees with them.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:01 pm

I think that although someone may be permitted to indulge in personal abuse it doesn't mean they should.There should,in decent normal people at least, be an innate understanding when a comment is below the belt.

However I do think free speech is very important and I would rather people had the right to be abusive (and their contributions to be considered to be distasteful or laughable) than having everyone censored before they even start.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:35 pm

Eilzel wrote:The biggest problem with many RWers I find is that they mistake free speech for meaning they can say what they want without anyone criticising them or challenging their opinion.

I know Eilzel, your quite right, free speech usually results in hate speech for many on the right, but as soon as we defend the poor being picked on , Muslims, black people eye we are viewed upon as pa** lovers, supporters of " benefit scroungers' etc.

Ridiculous, while some portraying themselves as Christians feel free to post racist and anti gay bile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:39 pm

veya_victaous wrote:

an impressively progressive point of view for a lefty

normally you lot are like "free speech doesn't mean hate speech you can say what i don't like or i will say its hate speech boo hoo hoo"

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:18 pm

If I may respectfully disagree, and agree, Les. The biggest problem with RWers is they are too stupid to handle reason and debate. So, what is left? They become masters of abuse and insult. That, for them, is political discourse.

There is room for pity on them. It's hard to be left sputtering and spitting.  :ashmmmas: 

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluffyx Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:24 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

an impressively progressive point of view for a lefty

normally you lot are like "free speech doesn't mean hate speech you can say what i don't like or i will say its hate speech boo hoo hoo"

I think sometimes people need to consider just because they can say something doesn't necessarily mean they should.

Also if someone has to resort to personal abuse that is off topic then they have clearly lost the debate and are only doing themselves a dis service so it just seems a bit pointless to me.

If you treat people with respect you tend to get it back (to a degree lol! ).Reap what you sow and all that.
Fluffyx
Fluffyx
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:41 pm

Yeah good one

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down