NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murder On The Orient Express

+2
'Wolfie
Cass
6 posters

Go down

Murder On The Orient Express Empty Murder On The Orient Express

Post by Cass Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:56 am

So. Hmmmm.

If you have never read the book then I say jolly well go and enjoy it. Just like Mr. C.

On the other hand, if you have read the original, and love it, and still keep your copy even though it’s torn and stained and from the 1960s, and you would rather sell your one your children than give it up, stay far far away.

Oh David Suchet, forgive Kenneth Branagh, for he knows not what a proper set of mustachios is.

I’m still screaming in my head.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Murder On The Orient Express Empty Re: Murder On The Orient Express

Post by Guest Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:10 am

Always the problem with remakes. They tend to be very poor

Though some end up being much better.

Now take 3:10 to Yuma

That was excellent

Do you have any remake films you like Cass?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:19 am

Didge wrote:Always the problem with remakes. They tend to be very poor

That was excellent

Ummmmm. Does James Bond count? Cause Daniel Craig ~swoon ~

Cape Fear, The Manchurian Candidate, True Grit are all ones I think that were better than the originals. I haven’t seen the Yuma one. I’ve been there though Cool
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:24 am

Cass wrote:
Didge wrote:Always the problem with remakes. They tend to be very poor

That was excellent

Cape Fear, The Manchurian Candidate, True Grit are all ones I think that were better than the originals. I haven’t seen the Yuma one. I’ve been there though Cool

lol, Daniel Craid definately. He instilled life back into Bond.

The Batman films with Christian Bale are also fab.

True Grit is good and i actually enjoyed the latest Magnificent 7

I seriously recommend watching 3:10 to Yuma. Christian Bale and Russell Crowe are excellent.

Speaking of Russell Crowe, have you watched "The Water Diviner"?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:29 am

Didge wrote:
Cass wrote:

I seriously recommend watching 3:10 to Yuma. Christian Bale and Russell Crowe are excellent.

No. Is it good? I’m not a huge fan of Westerns which is why I haven’t watched the Yuma or Mag 7. True Grit was different though cause Jeff Bridges lol. Yeah I’ll give you Batman. Except the George Clooney one. Ugh.

When I saw the Live and allegedly new and improved Sound of Music , I just wanted to reach through the Telly and slap all of them upside their heads. SACRILEGE!!!
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:34 am

Cass wrote:
Didge wrote:

No. Is it good? I’m not a huge fan of Westerns which is why I haven’t watched the Yuma or Mag 7. True Grit was different though cause Jeff Bridges lol. Yeah I’ll give you Batman. Except the George Clooney one. Ugh.

When I saw the Live and allegedly new and improved Sound of Music , I just wanted to reach through the Telly and slap all of them upside their heads. SACRILEGE!!!

Ha ha ha ha, oh dear, was it that bad?

I know what you mean though, as there really is only one Julie Andrews.

Seriously Cass, 3:10 to Yuma, made me excited about westerns again, as many before had been appalling.

As to the "The Water Diviner". Its brilliant. I do not want to give to much away, but its about A father searching for his sons who fought in Gallipolli. I would add you also see the struggle that of the Turkish people after the defeat of WW1 and the bond that happens between former enemies. Its a seriously beautiful film

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:45 am

Didge wrote:
Cass wrote:

Seriously Cass, 3:10 to Yuma, made me excited about westerns again, as many before had been appalling.

As to the "The Water Diviner". Its brilliant. I do not want to give to much away, but its about A father searching for his sons who fought in Gallipolli. I would add you also see the struggle that of the Turkish people after the defeat of WW1 and the bond that happens between former enemies. Its a seriously beautiful film

Oh god it was awful! My soul died a bit. The Rocky Horror Picture Show was only marginally better. Don’t mess with greatness.

Ok I will look for it. Perhaps tomorrow we may go see Victoria And Abdul, but I have a feeling it’s going to drive me insane. I gave off reading the book for the same reason. I cannot abide bad history as you know.

On the bright side, saw the previews of the new Churchill film with Gary Oldman and one about The Washington Post/Katherine Graham with Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks, both of which looked great. There’s also another version of the storyline of Taken, with Liam Neesin called the commuter. Yeah it’s violent crap, but hey, it’s Liam.

I cannot begin to tell you how upset I am about Daniel Day-Lewis retiring. One of the outstanding actors of this time and also sexy as hell. Lucky lucky Rebecca Miller.
Cass
Cass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:52 am

Cass wrote:
Didge wrote:

Oh god it was awful! My soul died a bit. The Rocky Horror Picture Show was only marginally better. Don’t mess with greatness.

Ok I will look for it. Perhaps tomorrow we may go see Victoria And Abdul, but I have a feeling it’s going to drive me insane. I gave off reading the book for the same reason. I cannot abide bad history as you know.

On the bright side, saw the previews of the new Churchill film with Gary Oldman and one about The Washington Post/Katherine Graham with Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks, both of which looked great. There’s also another version of the storyline of Taken, with Liam Neesin called the commuter. Yeah it’s violent crap, but hey, it’s Liam.

I cannot begin to tell you how upset I am about Daniel Day-Lewis retiring. One of the outstanding actors of this time and also sexy as hell. Lucky lucky Rebecca Miller.

I know what you mean.
Daniel Day-Lewis, is a rare breed actor. There is not one film of his that i do not enjoy. He is so good.
At least this way he will always be remembered for being so great. To me that is clever and that he will never had done a bad film.

I love Liam Neeson as an actor. He remade himself as an actor after being cast for "Taken".

Have to look into the other films you mentioned, sound interesting.

Thanks for the info

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:44 am

What a Face

Some Other Remakes:

"I am Legend" with Will Smith is more true to the book (by Richard Matheson..) than Charlton Heston's load of crap in "The Omega Man"..

Likewise, the remake of "Total Recall" from a couple of years ago was more true to the Philip K. Dick short story/novella ('We Can Remember It for You Wholesale') than Big Arnie's earlier muscled-up action version..

Those who haven't read the original stories might not agree..  

I also like Ben Affleck as the current Batman, and Henry Cavill is okay as Superman  --  they have taken those characters back to the darker edge of the original DC comics, before they were "camped up" by the TV series and the 1980s movies...
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:04 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:What a Face

Some Other Remakes:

"I am Legend" with Will Smith is more true to the book (by Richard Matheson..) than Charlton Heston's load of crap in "The Omega Man"..

Likewise, the remake of "Total Recall" from a couple of years ago was more true to the Philip K. Dick short story/novella ('We Can Remember It for You Wholesale') than Big Arnie's earlier muscled-up action version..

Those who haven't read the original stories might not agree..  

I also like Ben Affleck as the current Batman, and Henry Cavill is okay as Superman  --  they have taken those characters back to the darker edge of the original DC comics, before they were "camped up" by the TV series and the 1980s movies...

I like Henry Cavill as Superman and he was great in the "Man from Uncle", but Ben Affleck?

Seriously mate?

Oh and Gal Gadot, is fab as Wonder Woman.. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:23 am

Arrow

You need to revisit the DC comics from the 1950s and 60s (and some of the re-drawn books of the 1980s) to see where DC are coming from with their current reborn Batman character --  darker, more vengeful and less noble and 'heroic'..

And I like Gal Godot's Wonder Woman too --  updated for the Xena generation; (the same as they are also doing with the Flash and Aquaman characters..).

Last edited by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:25 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote: Arrow

You need to revisit the DC comics from the 1950s and 60s (and some of the re-drawn books of the 1980s) to see where DC are coming from with their current reborn Batman character --  darker, more vengeful and less noble and heroic..

And I like Gal Godot's Wonder Woman too --  updated for the Xena generation..

I get where you are coming from mate, but he is nothing on Christian Bale, in my opinion, as Batman.

I guess we have to agree to disagree on this... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:28 am

Murder On The Orient Express 2116117728

I liked Christian Bale also, in the three previous movies..

I wonder if he wasn't available for Batman vs Superman, and the upcoming 'Justice League' movies  ?

Last edited by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:32 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote: Murder On The Orient Express 2116117728

I liked Christian Bale also, in the two previous movies..

I wonder if he wasn't available for Batman vs Superman, and the upcoming 'Justice League' movies  ?

Not sure Wolf, to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:20 am

I'm a great fan of Agatha Christie, but Murder on the Orient Express has never been one of my favourites. I think in film form its strength is the setting and the characters - the story itself doesn't really sit well with me. I haven't seen the latest version though.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:05 pm

I will have a watch...everything Judy Dench is in is worth watching. I love you
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by The Devil, You Know Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:29 pm

Cass wrote:So. Hmmmm.

If you have never read the book then I say jolly well go and enjoy it. Just like Mr. C.

On the other hand, if you have read the original, and love it, and still keep your copy even though it’s torn and stained and from the 1960s, and you would rather sell your one your children than give it up, stay far far away.

Oh David Suchet, forgive Kenneth Branagh, for he knows not what a proper set of mustachios is.

I’m still screaming in my head.
is that the one where
Spoiler:
The Devil, You Know
The Devil, You Know
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Loved this, and all Agatha Christie books.

My favourite as a kid, was Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple and her husband in real life playing her male friend.

If you've never seen Murder at the Gallop or other films she did, watch them, she was brilliant. She made Miss Marple her own.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down