NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pizza Express uses only halal chicken

+11
jaded fox
harvesmom
Irn Bru
stardesk
Eilzel
David
eddie
Lone Wolf
veya_victaous
Tommy Monk
gerber
15 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Pizza Express uses only halal chicken Empty Pizza Express uses only halal chicken

Post by gerber Wed May 07, 2014 3:58 pm

‘We spend a lot of time listening to our guests and do our best to cater to their needs. Whether this means creating vegan-friendly pizzas or serving halal chicken, we take their feedback seriously.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2622052/Pizza-Express-reveal-chicken-use-halal-dont-tell-customers-unless-ask-staff.html#ixzz312ebad4Q
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The Mail on Sunday has previously revealed that halal meat from animals who had been stunned before slaughter was being sold in schools, hospitals, pubs and at famous sporting venues such as Ascot and Twickenham.
All the beef, chicken and lamb sold to fans at Wembley was secretly prepared in accordance with Islamic law, while Cheltenham College was one of several top public schools which also served halal chicken to pupils without informing them.

Add to the list nandos and KFC.................

I will be asking in the future before I eat the origin of the meat, unknown and I will not be ordering.

Why should we have to put up with this because some can't eat what we eat ?

gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Pizza Express uses only halal chicken Empty Re: Pizza Express uses only halal chicken

Post by Tommy Monk Wed May 07, 2014 4:14 pm

It says in their guide book that they can eat the food of Christians and Jews.

So why are we changing things in our country to fit in with immigrants?

This is happening in all take awayp and supermarkets. Bar maybe one or two.

The tail is definately wagging the dog.....

Last edited by Tommy Monk on Wed May 07, 2014 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bloody predictive text...)
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Pizza Express uses only halal chicken Empty Re: Pizza Express uses only halal chicken

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 5:02 pm

Company's like Pizza Express should be making this known to Customers, but then I just sometimes find stuff by the DM hard to believe after so may porkies( no pun intended) and inaccuracies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 5:21 pm

The question is WHY?

The figures suggest they are massively outnumbered - there isn't a city or town where they are the majority.

You also would have thought they do not eat as much fast food as Westerners.

So, it isn't for business reasons.

Who is putting pressure on these businesses?

Who is making the threats?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 5:22 pm

Joy Division wrote:Company's like Pizza Express should be making this known to Customers, but then I just sometimes find stuff by the DM hard to believe after so may porkies( no pun intended) and inaccuracies.

Same old same old.... It was in the Telegraph, the Independent and the Sun too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 07, 2014 5:29 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:The question is WHY?

The figures suggest they are massively outnumbered - there isn't a city or town where they are the majority.

See this is what I dont understand, they are a minority so it cant be for business reasons.
Or is Halal cheaper or something?

Imagine going to live in a Muslim country and demanding non halal meat?
They would tell you to feck off

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Wed May 07, 2014 5:33 pm

The newspapers are doing quite a decent job of trying to get into main stream news. if they push too hard they will be considered anti Muslim, maybe that is why the likes of the BBC are not running anything like, yet were more than willing to go after Starbucks....

That publicity cost them loads........

This hopefully will have the same " Domino effect "
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed May 07, 2014 11:09 pm

::hdintowll:: ::hdintowll:: ::hdintowll:: ::hdintowll:: ::hdintowll:: 

Because Chicken is Halal Anyway, the way we already killed them was Halal  Rolling Eyes 

Halal is not some magic ingredient it is just a process, quite basic, and the way chickens are killed already compiles just by happy coincidence , that why when in doubt most Muslims will order the chicken (hardcore ones will go Vego option)
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 7:13 am

Why the Sun’s “Halal Secret of Pizza Express” isn’t a secret at all
This morning, the paper has splashed with a story about the chain serving halal chicken, but having been reported last year and detailed on the Pizza Express website, it’s already in the public domain.

The Sun has ended up with egg on its face with its splash this morning, claiming to reveal exclusively that the restaurant chain Pizza Express serves only halal chicken.

But there’s just one thing (aside from the ludicrously alarmist tone of a story conjured up to give diners a slice of Islamophobia): it’s not a secret.

The Guardian reported last year that Pizza Express uses halal-approved chicken, as did the Independent, which reported: “Restaurant chains that are changing their menus include Pizza Express, which uses only halal chicken.”

And the chain itself, in the FAQs on its website, says:

All our restaurants serve pork, beef and chicken. All our chicken is Halal approved but it is important to note that all birds are stunned before being slaughtered. Our chicken supplier is accredited by the British Retail Consortium. This means it meets the global standard for food safety and legality.

So to vaguely rephrase the old dilemma: which came first, the halal chicken in the Sun, or the truth, everywhere else?

Well, at least we know where the egg ended up.

http://www.newstatesman.com/media-mole/2014/05/why-sun-s-halal-secret-pizza-express-isn-t-secret-all

Yep same old same old posters being utterly gullible again

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu May 08, 2014 7:25 am

Quite apart from the fact that I too, was under the impression all chickens were halal-approved because of the way it's killed, these are still, pertinent questions that haven't been answered properly Andy.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 7:26 am

eddie wrote:

Quite apart from the fact that I too, was under the impression all chickens were halal-approved because of the way it's killed, these are still, pertinent questions that haven't been answered properly Andy.

Like what Eddie?

That the store stated last year they were now using Halal chicken that is stunned?

Where is the issue here, over a prayer?

Anyway now people know even though it was known, thus if you have an issue, do not go there, you have that choice as you do any place you go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 8:31 am

If chicken is Halal anyway, I wonder why Pizza express worded it as though they were changing it to Halal as per customer requests?
Why not just say its halal anyway?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 8:34 am

veya_victaous wrote:::hdintowll:: ::hdintowll:: ::hdintowll:: ::hdintowll:: ::hdintowll:: 

Because Chicken is Halal Anyway, the way we already killed them was Halal  Rolling Eyes 

Halal is not some magic ingredient it is just a process, quite basic, and the way chickens are killed already compiles just by happy coincidence , that why when in doubt most Muslims will order the chicken (hardcore ones will go Vego option)

Really? So we always said prayers to allah over chickens as we slaughtered them then? Well, who'd a thunk it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 8:37 am

Nems wrote:If chicken is Halal anyway, I wonder why Pizza express worded it as though they were changing it to Halal as per customer requests?

They did a year ago, again what is the big deal here, if it is humane rights, this is covered by those claiming stunning, so again I fail to see the fuss over a prayer?
I wonder have you ever sat down with a family when they bless food, did you have an issue Nems?

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 08, 2014 8:53 am

Didge wrote:
Nems wrote:If chicken is Halal anyway, I wonder why Pizza express worded it as though they were changing it to Halal as per customer requests?

They did a year ago, again what is the big deal here, if it is humane rights, this is covered by those claiming stunning, so again I fail to see the fuss over a prayer?
I wonder have you ever sat down with a family when they bless food, did you have an issue Nems?

Hi Didge I have an issue with Halal in general as the slaughterhouses don't always stun animals but say they do. That is why the RSPCA is working closely with Halal slaughterhouses. So Pizza express saying it uses stunned animals for their pizzas no thanks...
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 8:58 am

David wrote:
Didge wrote:

Hi Didge I have an issue with Halal in general as the slaughterhouses don't always stun animals but say they do.  That is why the RSPCA is working closely with Halal slaughterhouses.  So Pizza express saying it uses stunned animals for their pizzas no thanks...

David that is your choice on the matter but to me halal is being used to whip up anti sentiments and I would take your view as genuine concerns, but here again this is using stunning and the correct standards and it was announced over a year ago. The fact is now many of the Halal we receive is actually slaughtered with sunning and if we go off bad practice then you have to have the same view on non halal slaughter where there is massive evidence of bad practice, thus you should apply the same principle to both then.

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 08, 2014 9:08 am

Didge wrote:
David wrote:

Hi Didge I have an issue with Halal in general as the slaughterhouses don't always stun animals but say they do.  That is why the RSPCA is working closely with Halal slaughterhouses.  So Pizza express saying it uses stunned animals for their pizzas no thanks...

David that is your choice on the matter but to me halal is being used to whip up anti sentiments and I would take your view as genuine concerns, but here again this is using stunning and the correct standards and it was announced over a year ago. The fact is now many of the Halal we receive is actually slaughtered with sunning and if we go off bad practice then you have to have the same view on non halal slaughter where there is massive evidence of bad practice, thus you should apply the same principle to both then.

I am not anti-Muslim but I am pro animal welfare! I have had a conversation like this weeks ago. It is just because it is not stunned in many halal slaughterhouses that I have a problem. Have a look at the RSPCA website they have a huge section dedicated to that.
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 9:12 am

David wrote:
Didge wrote:

I am not anti-Muslim but I am pro animal welfare!  I have had a conversation like this weeks ago.  It is just because it is not stunned in many halal slaughterhouses that I have a problem.  Have a look at the RSPCA website they have a huge section dedicated to that.  

David I agreed stating your concerns are genuine, not like others who use this as a means to promote prejudice views.
The point is though David, if you have concerns here, then the same is also the case with non-halal slaughter of which we know of bad practice also, so my point is if you advocate against one, then the same principles should apply to the other, until both clean up their acts?
Is that not a fair view of the situation? 
Do the RSPCA also have sections on bad practice with non-halal slaughter houses?

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 08, 2014 9:25 am

Didge wrote:
David wrote:

I am not anti-Muslim but I am pro animal welfare!  I have had a conversation like this weeks ago.  It is just because it is not stunned in many halal slaughterhouses that I have a problem.  Have a look at the RSPCA website they have a huge section dedicated to that.  

David I agreed stating your concerns are genuine, not like others who use this as a means to promote prejudice views.
The point is though David, if you have concerns here, then the same is also the case with non-halal slaughter of which we know of bad practice also, so my point is if you advocate against one, then the same principles should apply to the other, until both clean up their acts?
Do the RSPCA also have sections on bad practice with non-halal slaughter houses?
I advocate against both as I am for the welfare of the animals. I was only focussing on the halal ones as it is the subject of this thread...
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 9:27 am

David wrote:
Didge wrote:

I advocate against both as I am for the welfare of the animals.  I was only focussing on the halal ones as it is the subject of this thread...

Fair enough David, but to me on principle I would not eat anywhere with that view until all practices had cleaned up their acts, of which we know there are still many problems.
Any how have a good day mate, have to get on with some work sadly..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 9:31 am

Interesting article on this before I go

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/07/pizza-express-halal-debate_n_5279050.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu May 08, 2014 9:32 am

To be fair if they are stunned then the rest is a complete non-argument. Even the stunning process in many non-Muslim abattoirs is often horrendous when the stunning is non immediately effective (I've seen some awful footage with pigs and cows being stunned 'wrong'). Since most people complaining will eat Indian and Bangladeshi takeaway anyway and holiday in Muslim countries (and presumably don't starve themselves the whole time away) then any outrage is dubious really.

And if pizza express already made this clear, as KFC and Subway have with some of their shops; then really what's the problem?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 08, 2014 9:37 am

Mr E x
That is what I meant. Also as a consumer I have a choice. I don't want to be forced to eat at Pizza Express...
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 9:50 am

Eilzel wrote:To be fair if they are stunned then the rest is a complete non-argument. Even the stunning process in many non-Muslim abattoirs is often horrendous when the stunning is non immediately effective (I've seen some awful footage with pigs and cows being stunned 'wrong'). Since most people complaining will eat Indian and Bangladeshi takeaway anyway and holiday in Muslim countries (and presumably don't starve themselves the whole time away) then any outrage is dubious really.

And if pizza express already made this clear, as KFC and Subway have with some of their shops; then really what's the problem?
They haven't made it clear though. That's the point.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 9:53 am

I see the shallow left have no issue with the implications of stealth halal

I feel a smelly bandit special hypothetical coming up that will show just how hypocritical people are

Just like my "who would you save" showed up the left for the racists that they are and how elizel disproved racism entirely

So far David amazing is the only one of the lefty mclunatic clan who is coming anywhere near the crux of the matter

Will have it up in a bit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 9:59 am

Eilzel wrote:To be fair if they are stunned then the rest is a complete non-argument. Even the stunning process in many non-Muslim abattoirs is often horrendous when the stunning is non immediately effective (I've seen some awful footage with pigs and cows being stunned 'wrong'). Since most people complaining will eat Indian and Bangladeshi takeaway anyway and holiday in Muslim countries (and presumably don't starve themselves the whole time away) then any outrage is dubious really.

So basically when the western method goes wrong it's only as bad as when halal goes smoothly

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 08, 2014 10:34 am

smelly_bandit wrote:I see the shallow left have no issue with the implications of stealth halal

I feel a smelly bandit special hypothetical coming up that will show just how hypocritical people are

Just like my "who would you save" showed up the left for the racists that they are and how elizel disproved racism entirely

So far David amazing is the only one of the lefty mclunatic clan who is coming anywhere near the crux of the matter

Will have it up in a bit

Please don't hijack me smelly. I repeat I am for the welfare of animals. Nothing to do with race or religion.
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu May 08, 2014 10:38 am

Supermarkets and restaurant chains are selling halal meat to millions of customers without telling them.
The switch to slaughtering animals in line with Islamic ritual saves money because the end product can be eaten by Muslims and non-Muslims alike.

More than 70 per cent of all New Zealand lamb in supermarkets is from halal abattoirs – a fact not stated on labelling. Tesco, Sainsbury's, Morrisons, Waitrose and Marks & Spencer all confirmed yesterday they sell the imported meat.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2622830/Millions-eating-halal-food-without-knowing-How-big-brand-shops-restaurants-sell-ritually-slaughtered-meat-dont-label-it.html#ixzz317DKCBAP
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I normally buy all my meat from my local butcher this will ensure it all comes from there.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu May 08, 2014 10:52 am

Tesstacious wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:::hdintowll:: ::hdintowll:: ::hdintowll:: ::hdintowll:: ::hdintowll:: 

Really?  So we always said prayers to allah over chickens as we slaughtered them then?  Well, who'd a thunk it.

umm that aspect is fixed with the addition of a 50 cent inscription in somewhere in the slaughter room (you don't have to say it every time).... every thing else is the same.

Seriously  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  no wonder we are going so much better economically.  pirat pirat pirat 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu May 08, 2014 10:59 am

And you don't stun chickens  Rolling Eyes  you cut their head off and turn em upside down and attach them to the conveyer line (pegs on foot) and let them bleed out. Conveyers take them into de-feather machine I think it works by steam or something.

Cutting the head of slits the throat.

It's a shit job but there is a big chicken farm near by so a lot of my uneducated mates have done a stint there as it pays well because it isn't a very pleasant job.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu May 08, 2014 11:35 am

David wrote:Mr E x
That is what I meant.  Also as a consumer I have a choice.  I don't want to be forced to eat at Pizza Express...

Nobody is forcing anyone to eat from Pizza Express Mr D, only you can pick up the phone x  Wink 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 08, 2014 11:37 am

Eilzel wrote:
David wrote:Mr E x
That is what I meant.  Also as a consumer I have a choice.  I don't want to be forced to eat at Pizza Express...

Nobody is forcing anyone to eat from Pizza Express Mr D, only you can pick up the phone x  Wink 
Hahaha true Mr E, I am not dialling PE  Wink 
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu May 08, 2014 11:39 am

smelly_bandit wrote:

So basically when the western method goes wrong it's only as bad as when halal goes smoothly

Some people seem to care that an animal is stunned before it is slaughtered; I am not such a person; if I was, I wouldn't eat from takeaways or travel to Muslim countries. I have in fact read that Halal slaughter is not inhumane and seen footage which confirms this in any case  Wink 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 11:45 am

Eilzel wrote:
smelly_bandit wrote:

Some people seem to care that an animal is stunned before it is slaughtered; I am not such a person; if I was, I wouldn't eat from takeaways or travel to Muslim countries. I have in fact read that Halal slaughter is not inhumane and seen footage which confirms this in any case  Wink 

Well as far as chickens go, 'our' way is to attach them by their feet to a machine, drop their heads into water with an electric current running through it before their heads are chopped off.   Much of the time the electric current doesn't stun them, as has been shown over and over again, so instead of just having their heads chopped off, they are drown and electrocuted first.   Very humane!  Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu May 08, 2014 11:58 am

Sassy wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Well as far as chickens go, 'our' way is to attach them by their feet to a machine, drop their heads into water with an electric current running through it before their heads are chopped off.   Much of the time the electric current doesn't stun them, as has been shown over and over again, so instead of just having their heads chopped off, they are drown and electrocuted first.   Very humane!  Rolling Eyes

Exactly; but all people think about is a throat being slit and god knows what ridiculous imagery that makes it seem so horrendous...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 08, 2014 12:01 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Exactly; but all people think about is a throat being slit and god knows what ridiculous imagery that makes it seem so horrendous...

Sometimes it has to do with the bigger animals though Les? Chicken can have their heads chopped off - quick death...
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 12:02 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Sassy wrote:

I'm absolutely convinced that halal is the most humane way, that causes brain death much faster than any other method.   Honestly, do people think it is possible to kill animals for food without stressing them.    And I have yet to hear of a case in halal abattoirs of animals being chased around and hit and kicked etc.   The whole point of halal is up to the point of death the animals are treated with respect.   The goings on in some of our abattoirs is disgusting.   My ex's stepbrother was a slaughterman who thought it really funny to regale us with stories of what they did to the animals 'for fun'!!!!

Cutting the jugular and both carotid arteries at the same time causes brain death within 2 - 3 seconds from all the blood leaving it and nothing registers anymore. They know that stunning causes pain and the pain receptors work overtime after it.

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu May 08, 2014 12:08 pm

Sassy wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

I'm absolutely convinced that halal is the most humane way, that causes brain death much faster than any other method.   Honestly, do people think it is possible to kill animals for food without stressing them.    And I have yet to hear of a case in halal abattoirs of animals being chased around and hit and kicked etc.   The whole point of halal is up to the point of death the animals are treated with respect.   The goings on in some of our abattoirs is disgusting.   My ex's stepbrother was a slaughterman who thought it really funny to regale us with stories of what they did to the animals 'for fun'!!!!

Cutting the jugular and both carotid arteries at the same time causes brain death within 2 - 3 seconds from all the blood leaving it and nothing registers anymore.   They know that stunning causes pain and the pain receptors work overtime after it.

Then let's introduce compulsory comprehensive labelling. We are old enough to make our own choices.
David
David
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu May 08, 2014 12:30 pm

David wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Cutting the jugular and both carotid arteries at the same time causes brain death within 2 - 3 seconds from all the blood leaving it and nothing registers anymore.   They know that stunning causes pain and the pain receptors work overtime after it.

Then let's introduce compulsory comprehensive labelling.  We are old enough to make our own choices.

That is all that is needed. We can all then choose. the industry though will no doubt opposes it as many will realise the amount of Halal in our stores.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by stardesk Thu May 08, 2014 3:18 pm

On the midday news today it was said that all shops must label Halal meat as 'Halal.' And in an interview with a Muslim cafe owner, he admitted that not all animals are stunned before slaughter, as Halal animals should be slaughtered in the traditional manner. Apparently, according to the news, there are moves afoot to make stunning, or more humane methods, legal and compulsory.

Being brought up in the country I've seen animals being slaughtered and believe me folks, they can sense and smell death, which makes them fight against any activity to hold them tight before slaughter. They kick and fight because they fear for their own lives. I'm not being over-melodramatic, but telling you what I've seen for myself.
stardesk
stardesk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 3:28 pm

stardesk wrote:On the midday news today it was said that all shops must label Halal meat as 'Halal.' And in an interview with a Muslim cafe owner, he admitted that not all animals are stunned before slaughter, as Halal animals should be slaughtered in the traditional manner. Apparently, according to the news, there are moves afoot to make stunning, or more humane methods, legal and compulsory.

Being brought up in the country I've seen animals being slaughtered and believe me folks, they can sense and smell death, which makes them fight against any activity to hold them tight before slaughter. They kick and fight because they fear for their own lives. I'm not being over-melodramatic, but telling you what I've seen for myself.

Your right Stars...they can smell the death and sense it, that can even be seen sometimes when they are on the back of lorries crammed up at the traffic lights, it's awful...an to think I was an apprentice butcher in my youth  What a Face 

It's a shame though, they know something terrible is about to happen Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 3:33 pm

David wrote:
smelly_bandit wrote:I see the shallow left have no issue with the implications of stealth halal

Will have it up in a bit

Please don't hijack me smelly.  I repeat I am for the welfare of animals.  Nothing to do with race or religion.

im not hijacking you

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Eilzel wrote:
smelly_bandit wrote:

yes well you're not overly bright

so the other implications of this escape you completely

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Tesstacious wrote:

They haven't made it clear though.  That's the point.

That have not made it clear you are eating a curry?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 3:55 pm

This is the Guardian trying to justify the huge amount of halal meat used in the UK:

The Daily Mail has claimed again that 70% of New Zealand lamb sold in the UK is halal. With just 4.8% of the country being Muslim, why is this the case?

The Daily Mail is correct to say that 51% of lamb produced in this country is outsizes the 4.8% of the population that is Muslim. However, there are a couple of issues with that statistic.

Firstly, Islamic people eat a disproportionate amount of lamb. According to a 2010 report by industry body Eblex, Muslims account for 20% of lamb consumption in England.

Eblex said in 2010 that the halal meat market is a "multi-million pound contributor to the British economy"...

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/may/08/why-does-supply-halal-meat-outstrip-demand

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Tesstacious wrote:This is the Guardian trying to justify the huge amount of halal meat used in the UK:

The Daily Mail has claimed again that 70% of New Zealand lamb sold in the UK is halal. With just 4.8% of the country being Muslim, why is this the case?

The Daily Mail is correct to say that 51% of lamb produced in this country is outsizes the 4.8% of the population that is Muslim. However, there are a couple of issues with that statistic.

Firstly, Islamic people eat a disproportionate amount of lamb. According to a 2010 report by industry body Eblex, Muslims account for 20% of lamb consumption in England.

Eblex said in 2010 that the halal meat market is a "multi-million pound contributor to the British economy"...

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/may/08/why-does-supply-halal-meat-outstrip-demand

OMG they are sell stunned halal meat, what is the world coming to if it abides by what everyone is complaining about?

A spokesman for Waitrose told HuffPoUK its meat was "always pre-stunned".
He said: "UK law currently permits slaughter both with stunning and without - a requirement of some faiths. However, to maintain Red Tractor assurance scheme standards, signified by a logo on the label, which all Waitrose meat & poultry achieves, all animals must be pre-stunned.
"New Zealand law also requires all animals to be pre-stunned at slaughter".
A Morrison's spokesman said: “We require that all Morrisons own label meat and poultry is from animals that are stunned prior to slaughter according to our stringent animal welfare standards.
"Most of our fresh beef and lamb is processed through our own abattoirs. Customers who do not wish to purchase halal or kosher products can choose Morrisons-branded fresh meat in full confidence that all animals are stunned and no prayer is read at slaughter. 

"In the case of meat contained in processed Morrisons products, we do not request in our specifications with suppliers that the animal receives a halal blessing before slaughter. A small number of processed meat products may contain meat that is blessed but it is always pre-stunned. 

"There is currently no UK labelling scheme to cover this area and we would welcome government guidance to be able to offer customers even greater transparency than we do at present.”

But the Department for Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) told HuffPoUK it was for stores to decide what to label "in the first instance".
A spokesman said: "We want people to have the information they need to make informed choices about the food they buy. In the first instance that is for the retailer or the food outlet to provide. We have contributed to the EU on their study into compulsory labelling of meat and will review options for the UK once it is finalised this summer.”
Marks & Spencer said blessing animals while slaughtering them was "an industry norm" in New Zealand, adding it did not specify any religious practice when sourcing the meat and therefore does not label it as halal.
A spokesperson said: "All meat sold at M&S is stunned prior to slaughter, regardless of its country of origin. This is in accordance with our strict animal welfare policy.
"All lamb imported into the UK from New Zealand is blessed. This is an industry norm in New Zealand, not an M&S requirement, and is only applicable to New Zealand lamb. It does not alter M&S's stance that all our meat is stunned prior to slaughter."
Tesco said it sold halal meat from animals that were not stunned before slaughter "in a small number of stores", which are labelled as halal and sold from counters run by the National Halal Centre.
The store said all its lamb from New Zealand was stunned.
A spokeswoman said: "All the meat we sell from these suppliers is stunned before slaughter; the only difference being that Halal meat has received a blessing.
"We do not specify to these suppliers that halal practices, such as a blessing, should be followed; we therefore believe it would be misleading for all customers to label the meat as halal."
All four stores said they had always set out their policy on halal on their website.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/08/halal-meat-hysteria-new-zealand-lamb_n_5285905.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Maybe the simple fact is down to costs, which I am sure many have always bought good quality meat if it is cheaper, hey ho, maybe people want to pay more

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 08, 2014 4:08 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Dear me

What other implications, the claim of smelly of the Islamification of the West you bang on consistently without any credible substance. I hold Eilzel in high regard as he has the intelligence to condemn something if it is wrong and not used prejudice babble as you do to promote your childish hate agenda.
You speak of intelligence and you promote a view of something you have never even studied let alone read, that is the most comical part of the smelly absurd world view.

Please stop embarrassing yourself on claims to intelligence, I find it hard not to fall off my chair laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Thu May 08, 2014 4:09 pm

smelly_bandit wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Clearly; how's that God complex going smelly arse  Laughing 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu May 08, 2014 5:01 pm

" Anger as Denmark bans halal meat

Denmark is not the first country to prohibit religious slaughter. Other countries including Norway, Poland, Sweden and Switzerland have already introduced this law.

http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentid=20140220196373

Why won't the UK do the same..... ?
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next