NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British Army under fire for 'racist' tweet that showed a soldier with black face-paint

+5
Ben Reilly
Original Quill
magica
Victorismyhero
eddie
9 posters

Go down

British Army under fire for 'racist' tweet that showed a soldier with black face-paint Empty British Army under fire for 'racist' tweet that showed a soldier with black face-paint

Post by eddie Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:32 pm

British Army under fire for 'racist' tweet that showed a soldier with black face-paint

The British Army has apologised after posting an image of a soldier with a “blacked up” face on social media.

The image, published on the Army’s official Twitter account, showed a soldier wearing black face-paint as part of his camouflage in a jungle.

The tweet, which was swiftly deleted, was described as “stupid” and “racist” by outraged social media users, while anti-racism campaigners said the force should feel "embarrassed".

An Army spokesman later said they could see how the tweet "may have been misinterpreted" and apologised.

The image was captioned with the words: “Being a soldier in the jungle requires a robust sense of humour”.

Furious Twitter users have claimed that the reference to humour is “clearly” related to the soldier’s face paint, with one, Grace Petrie, writing: “The blackface combined with the ‘sense of humour’ line, it all comes off as pretty racist."

“The caption is definitely bad. There’s nothing else the ‘sense of humour’ could obviously refer to."

One user said he detests “the idea of non-white people fighting for a country that sees their skin colour as something to joke about” while another, Tenney Naumer, simply asked: “Are you completely stupid?”

A spokesman for the anti-racism campaign group HOPE not hate told the Telegraph: "With hindsight, it should have been obvious this photo and that caption were bound to cause problems.

"Whoever manages social media at the British Army has egg on their face and should feel rightly embarrassed.

"As an employer seeking to improve its diversity intake, the Army has got to hold itself to the highest standards. How this passed an internal check is hard to imagine."

However, another user added: “I am really disappointed that you deleted that tweet. The army should be made of strong stuff, not caving in like that”.

Pictures and original tweet on link (won't allow me to post it for some reason)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/19/british-army-under-fire-for-racist-tweet-that-showed-a-soldier-w/

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

British Army under fire for 'racist' tweet that showed a soldier with black face-paint Empty Re: British Army under fire for 'racist' tweet that showed a soldier with black face-paint

Post by eddie Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:56 pm

Anyone else think this was OTT? Perhaps I'll change my mind but this wasn't racist, was it? Soldiers do this....Right? scratch
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

British Army under fire for 'racist' tweet that showed a soldier with black face-paint Empty Re: British Army under fire for 'racist' tweet that showed a soldier with black face-paint

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:04 pm

the PC brigade again....
the easily offended pansies
the ones who would die of fright if faced with an "enemy"
the sadly increasing number of ball less ones, with nothing better to do than "chelp"
the ones who would feed the croc their kids, in the hope it ate them last

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:07 pm

The image was captioned with the words: “Being a soldier in the jungle requires a robust sense of humour”.

I don't know why that's deemed racist alongside a photo of a soldier with his face painted out, obviously in training?
Perhaps I'm not getting it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:03 pm

I'm so sick of this culture of complaining about everything.

These people cause more harm than good with shouting racist at everything. Get a life instead of spending all day tweating about everything.

Bet none of them are black either. Whites making trouble again.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:54 pm

eddie wrote:Anyone else think this was OTT? Perhaps I'll change my mind but this wasn't racist, was it?  Soldiers do this....Right? scratch

What are you suggesting by "soldiers do this...right"? Are you suggesting if something is 'common practice' it's acceptable? If Muslims make it 'common practice' to prevent girls from getting an education, would you say it's acceptable? If Nigerians make it 'common practice' to mutilate the female genitalia of young girls, would you say it is acceptable? I call this the 'boys-will-be-boys' line of argument, because it assumes that if enough people are doing it, that it's all right.

The thing about applying values to facts, is you've got to choose your value independently of the facts. First you decide right from wrong, then you ask if they are doing it correctly. When you are clear on your values, than looking to who does it is only remedial.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:01 pm

magica wrote:I'm so sick of this culture of complaining about everything.

These people cause more harm than good with shouting racist at everything.  Get a life instead of spending all day tweating about everything.

Bet none of them are black either. Whites making trouble again.

Do you feel the same way about FMG (as in the example above)? It's another example of people shouting about "everything" and "whites making trouble again."

A thing is PC only if we don't agree. If we agree, then it's a proper cause.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:13 pm

What's FMG got to do with this thread? It's about people moaning at a soldier blacking his face, which they do at night when at war, or manoeuvres.

magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:34 pm

Well, let's consider what the offended side is saying, shall we?

The photo shows a soldier with his face blacked out, and the caption says that soldiers must maintain a sense of humor.

At the very least, do people not have the right to ask what they find humorous about someone having a black face?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:36 pm

Quill doesn't like Soldiers,-----------[they kill babies don't you know?]
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:47 pm

I thought the soldiers were in training and so, were camouflaged?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:16 pm

eddie wrote:I thought the soldiers were in training and so, were camouflaged?

Hilarious, right?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:25 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:

Hilarious, right?

Okay I'm really not getting it then. Why is it offensive to be camoulflaged?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:28 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:

Hilarious, right?

Okay I'm really not getting it then. Why is it offensive to be camoulflaged?

Like I said above -- what is humorous about having a black face?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:40 pm

Right, there's me thinking they were camouflaged in black face paint and had made a caption about it and people had assumed they'd been making fun of black people?
That's how I took it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:02 pm

eddie wrote:Right, there's me thinking they were camouflaged in black face paint and had made a caption about it and people had assumed they'd been making fun of black people?
That's how I took it.

It's hard to assume otherwise, to be fair. What else in that photo was supposed to be funny?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:09 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Right, there's me thinking they were camouflaged in black face paint and had made a caption about it and people had assumed they'd been making fun of black people?
That's how I took it.

It's hard to assume otherwise, to be fair. What else in that photo was supposed to be funny?

I don't know the event that led up to it and if it was about black people. TBH I don't know now what I think. scratch
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:51 pm

Major wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:the PC brigade again....
the easily offended pansies
the ones who would die of fright if faced with an "enemy"
the sadly increasing number of ball less ones, with nothing better to do than "chelp"
the ones who would feed the croc their kids, in the hope it ate them last

Brilliant post, TRUTHFUL

Typical response -- don't address why people might be offended, just applaud the growling Rolling Eyes
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:07 pm

Soldiers VERY RARELY USE ONE COLOUR ON THEIR FACES FOR COMOUFLAGE.   All black stands out as much as all white.   They break up the colour so that the shape of a face does not stand out.   Obviously, nobody seems to have been around the military a lot.

This is the normal camouflage they use:

British Army under fire for 'racist' tweet that showed a soldier with black face-paint Maskowanie

And that is why the blacked up face was stupid to use.   And saying they had to have a sense of humour to use it was pretty fucking stupid.   They could have put normal camouflage on and the remark about a sense of humour and nobody could have misinterpreted it.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:00 pm

Thank you sassy. I shoulda coulda googled that myself and now I get it. They don't usually use black. Now I get it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:04 pm

Welcome.  If people haven't been around the military they are not going to know that normal camouflage isn't one colour.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:05 pm

sassy wrote:Welcome.  If people haven't been around the military they are not going to know that normal camouflage isn't one colour.

But I've watched Rambo! I shoulda known that! No
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:06 pm

LOL.   You admit to watching Rambo!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:48 am

sassy wrote:LOL.   You admit to watching Rambo!!!!

What's not to love about Rambo?? He was PERSECUTED!! Sad
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:17 am

sassy wrote:Soldiers VERY RARELY USE ONE COLOUR ON THEIR FACES FOR COMOUFLAGE.   All black stands out as much as all white.   They break up the colour so that the shape of a face does not stand out.   Obviously, nobody seems to have been around the military a lot.

This is the normal camouflage they use:

British Army under fire for 'racist' tweet that showed a soldier with black face-paint Maskowanie

And that is why the blacked up face was stupid to use.   And saying they had to have a sense of humour to use it was pretty fucking stupid.   They could have put normal camouflage on and the remark about a sense of humour and nobody could have misinterpreted it.

Where did you get that picture from...?

I thought the op was about a British soldier...?

And camouflage varies depending on location, surroundings, objective...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:08 am

magica wrote:What's FMG got to do with this thread? It's about people moaning at a soldier blacking his face, which they do at night when at war, or manoeuvres.

I told you, you DF: "It's another example of people shouting about "everything" and "whites making trouble again."

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:11 am

nicko wrote:Quill doesn't like Soldiers,-----------[they kill babies don't you know?]

The soldiers are incidental. I was talking about PC, DF.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:04 am

My problem is the offense at blackface is really a very specific entirely USA offense
All White are not the same we don't all share the same history

Black Americans are no more African than White Americans Are Europeans.
You Are All Americans, and if between you, you want to have an issue with face paint fine.
But To expect other races to not let one group of people use face paint just because of their skin colour is Racist.
It's USA history Not White History.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:51 am

Veya this is about the uk army.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down