NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MPs call for the first ever black officer in the British army to be given the Military Cross after he gave up his football career with Tottenham to fight in the First World War

3 posters

Go down

MPs call for the first ever black officer in the British army to be given the Military Cross after he gave up his football career with Tottenham to fight in the First World War  Empty MPs call for the first ever black officer in the British army to be given the Military Cross after he gave up his football career with Tottenham to fight in the First World War

Post by Guest Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:34 pm

[*]Walter Tull, who died in action, fought in six battles during the First World War
[*]He was also a professional footballer, playing for Spurs and Northampton Town
[*]In 1914 he gave up his footballing career to dedicate his life to military service
[*]Parliamentarians say racism was why his achievements were never recognised

MPs are calling for the first black British Army officer to be awarded a posthumous Military Cross after he gave up a glittering football career to fight in the First World War. Walter Tull, who died in action on March 25, 1918, fought in six battles, including the Battle of the Somme and at Ypres. He was also mentioned in dispatches for leading his company of 26 men on a raiding party into enemy territory in ItalyTull was commissioned as an officer in 1917 despite military regulations forbidding 'any negro or person of colour' from serving in such a role. He was also one of the first black professional footballers, playing for Spurs and Northampton Town - but his career came to an end in 1914 when he dedicated his life to military service. Parliamentarians say racism was the reason Tull was never awarded the Military Cross he was recommended for.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5539435/MPs-call-black-officer-British-army-given-Military-Cross.html#ixzz5Ag2GgcnP 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Back to top Go down

MPs call for the first ever black officer in the British army to be given the Military Cross after he gave up his football career with Tottenham to fight in the First World War  Empty Re: MPs call for the first ever black officer in the British army to be given the Military Cross after he gave up his football career with Tottenham to fight in the First World War

Post by nicko Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:24 pm

A real Soldier !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

MPs call for the first ever black officer in the British army to be given the Military Cross after he gave up his football career with Tottenham to fight in the First World War  Empty Re: MPs call for the first ever black officer in the British army to be given the Military Cross after he gave up his football career with Tottenham to fight in the First World War

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:43 pm

Was football segregated in England back in his day, or was it always open to people of any race?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Long overdue for someone who was an honourable person. Anyone who experienced the First World War is a hero to me, some due to circumstances more heroic than others. My father was at some of the famous or infamous battles when he was from 18 years old to 21 years old when, so to speak, he was demobbed to the first reserve, in case of further hostilities, it took him about fifty years to talk about it. (My father and I span about 110 years in life times, it took him a long time to settle down) I only wish he could have told me more but I never wanted to press the issue.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down