NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC’s Newsbeat Asked If Black People Like Fried Chicken In ‘Unbelievably Racist’ Tweet

+5
nicko
Major
Ben Reilly
Syl
eddie
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

BBC’s Newsbeat Asked If Black People Like Fried Chicken In ‘Unbelievably Racist’ Tweet Empty BBC’s Newsbeat Asked If Black People Like Fried Chicken In ‘Unbelievably Racist’ Tweet

Post by eddie Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:21 pm

BBC’s Newsbeat Asked If Black People Like Fried Chicken In ‘Unbelievably Racist’ Tweet Img_5310

BBC’s Newsbeat has prompted a social media storm after it asked on Twitter: “Black people and fried chicken - is there any truth in it?”

The corporation’s news service aimed at teenagers received immediate condemnation after asking the question playing with a racial stereotype at the end of Black History Month.

The video features the response from young black and white to the question (”A lot of black girls that I know, they’re always like, ‘Yeah I eat loads of chicken because it makes your bum bigger’,” says one). But anger on Twitter seems to stem less from what they said and more that the BBC posed the question in the first place.

For video and twitter comments: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/bbc-newsbeat-deletes-tweet-black-stereotype_uk_5817837be4b04660a439ed67?utm_hp_ref=uk-news

So. Is it racist to ask that question?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

BBC’s Newsbeat Asked If Black People Like Fried Chicken In ‘Unbelievably Racist’ Tweet Empty Re: BBC’s Newsbeat Asked If Black People Like Fried Chicken In ‘Unbelievably Racist’ Tweet

Post by Syl Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:37 pm

Some people will think so, but some people see racism in everything.

Do Indians eat a lot of curry, do white Brits eat fish and chips and obsess about the weather? How come black people can run faster than whites but swim slower?

To me questions like this are not racist,,,they usually have truth in them.  BBC’s Newsbeat Asked If Black People Like Fried Chicken In ‘Unbelievably Racist’ Tweet 2190311264
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

BBC’s Newsbeat Asked If Black People Like Fried Chicken In ‘Unbelievably Racist’ Tweet Empty Re: BBC’s Newsbeat Asked If Black People Like Fried Chicken In ‘Unbelievably Racist’ Tweet

Post by eddie Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:50 pm

It's a stereotype, that's the basis of what people object to I think. I make a lot of jokes with my black friends about fried chicken, they make them with each other too.
Perhaps the question could've been phrased more delicately?

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:05 pm

I don't know if this was a topic the Beebs should have addressed -- at least not in its stuffy news-org-of-record kind of way. You can talk about things like this all you want but it needs a lighter touch, perhaps a U.S.-style news-comedy show like The Daily Show or Samantha Bee.

I remember an OLD Eddie Murphy routine where he discussed feeling awkward about eating fried chicken in front of white people. He did his white nerd voice and whispered, "Look at 'im! He loves it!" That's a better approach IMOSHO.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:09 pm

IMOSHO?

Okaysho then.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:58 pm

eddie wrote:It's a stereotype, that's the basis of what people object to I think.  I make a lot of jokes with my black friends about fried chicken, they make them with each other too.
Perhaps the question could've been phrased more delicately?

Well it is stereotyping people, I don't see any wrong in it though when it's done in a light hearted way....and there is often truth in stereotyping anyway. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Syl Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:21 pm

Major wrote:I luv KFC and don't care who knows . lol

Did I tell you about the time I was eating a piece in the dark, and it turned out to be a great big claw covered in Colonel Sanders special breadcrumbs (or whatever that crispy bit is). pale
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:24 pm

I don't eat that stuff. Never did, even when I ate meat.
It smells like fat.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:33 pm

A fuss over nothing, sadly, some look for racist comments when there isn't any.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:55 pm

the problem is the word 'all' ...
"do black people like chicken more than other races?"
might be acceptbale (but should define black people cause thre is a LOT of different types that vary more than White or Asian do)

but to even present the statement that "ALL of some group do X" is Racist
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:40 pm

I know I wouldn't find it racist if someone asked me "Do all English people drink tea?" Or "is it true that all white people burn in the sun?"

I hate being so careful about what I can say when I know there is no ill-intent behind it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:34 pm

Do all Aussie's hate Brit's?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by scrat Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:40 pm

Major wrote:I luv KFC and don't care who knows . lol
is that because it's halal?
scrat
scrat
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:55 pm

Suspect

I DON'T regard the Beeb's question as being "racist" in the way that tbey presented it...

So much,  as being more racially 'insensitive', and poorly thought through, in the light of current public sensitivities --  still not the same thing as being genuinely racist,  at all..

The heated responses to their questions/premise on social media (their website, Facebook and Twitter ?), really says more about the collective ignorance and over-sensitivity of many of those respondents --  who obviously don't seem to know (or, alternatively, don't want to know..) what the actual, true and real meanings of the words 'racism' and 'racist' are.

Many of those respondents themselves are probably "shooting from the hip" -- and not truly thinking through their remarks before posting ?        What a Face
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:15 pm

veya_victaous wrote:the problem is the word 'all' ...
"do black people like chicken more than other races?"
might be acceptbale (but should define black people cause thre is a LOT of different types that vary more than White or Asian do)

but to even present the statement that "ALL of some group do X" is Racist

It might be stereotyping but it isn't racist.
If the statement was for eg "all black people are horrible"....or "all white people stink"....now THAT would be racist. Twisted Evil
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:37 pm

ALL black people are human?  BBC’s Newsbeat Asked If Black People Like Fried Chicken In ‘Unbelievably Racist’ Tweet 2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:40 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Suspect

I DON'T regard the Beeb's question as being "racist" in the way that tbey presented it...

So much,  as being more racially 'insensitive', and poorly thought through, in the light of current public sensitivities --  still not the same thing as being genuinely racist,  at all..

The heated responses to their questions/premise on social media (their website, Facebook and Twitter ?), really says more about the collective ignorance and over-sensitivity of many of those respondents --  who obviously don't seem to know (or, alternatively, don't want to know..) what the actual, true and real meanings of the words 'racism' and 'racist' are.

Many of those respondents themselves are probably "shooting from the hip" --  and not truly thinking through their remarks before posting ?        What a Face

Great post.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:49 pm

Ziz wrote:ALL black people are human?   BBC’s Newsbeat Asked If Black People Like Fried Chicken In ‘Unbelievably Racist’ Tweet 2190311264

Who said they were not? scratch
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:56 pm

Syl wrote:
Ziz wrote:ALL black people are human?   BBC’s Newsbeat Asked If Black People Like Fried Chicken In ‘Unbelievably Racist’ Tweet 2190311264

No-one. It is an illustration of the falsehood of the proposition that "ALL" something is racist whereas not "ALL" something is not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:03 pm

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:

No-one. It is an illustration of the falsehood of the proposition that "ALL" something is racist whereas not "ALL" something is not.

Ahhh....good point.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:11 pm

No.....

in EXACTLT the sme way as ALL other "people"

they, like whites asians arabic etc, will have their fair share of those that are "sub human", or, maybe more correctly "inhuman"

so is your preposition still intact?  BBC’s Newsbeat Asked If Black People Like Fried Chicken In ‘Unbelievably Racist’ Tweet 2190311264

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:13 pm

Well all of the above start off human anyway.
No one is born evil.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:16 pm

Syl wrote:Well all of the above  start off human anyway.
No one is born evil.

What about the people that have no reason to become evil? Come from normal, happy and loving childhoods.... do they just "turn" evil?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:23 pm

there is no such thing as evil

only order and chaos

the values of "good and evil" are purely subjective and cannot be demonstrated
order and chaos is demonstrable
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:30 pm

Lord Foul wrote:

No.....

in EXACTLT the sme way as ALL other "people"

they, like whites asians arabic etc, will have their fair share of those that are "sub human", or, maybe more correctly "inhuman"

so is your preposition still intact?   BBC’s Newsbeat Asked If Black People Like Fried Chicken In ‘Unbelievably Racist’ Tweet 2190311264

Yes it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:33 pm

Lord Foul wrote:there is no such thing as evil

only order and chaos

Order and chaos are no more objectively demonstrable than good and evil since they too are relative attributes.

Last edited by Ziz on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:34 pm

eddie wrote:
No one is born evil.

What about the people that have no reason to become evil? Come from normal, happy and loving childhoods.... do they just "turn" evil?

Had I studied psychology I may have the answer Eddie...but I don't know.
Does something happen in their life...or in their minds, when they are young?

And how can siblings that are brought up together in the same way turn out so differently?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:44 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:
No one is born evil.

And how can siblings that are brought up together in the same way turn out so differently?

Yes Syl, if you'd taken psychology up you may have been the one to crack it. We shall never know.
I think there must be an "evil gene" inside some people, surely?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:54 pm

Ziz wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:there is no such thing as evil

only order and chaos

Order and chaos are no more objectively demonstrable than good and evil since they too are relative attributes.

i would challenge you on that...

a smooth running effectively run and orderly society is Clearly going to be distinguishable by certain indisputable and clearly obvious characteristics from a chaotic and disorderly one

in terms of wealth if nothing else (when compared obviously to similar societies...vis it would be no use comparing even the most orderly 3rd world society to even our relatively chaotic first world society...obvioulsy other factors can and do intrude to muddy the picture...principally "resource base")

however there would likely be no way of telling the difference between an ordered "good" society and an ordered "evil society" (since what is "good" or "evil" depends soley on your POV)

Is ISIS "evil"???

now ask an ISIS supporter.....

however is ISIS chaotic, visibly yes it is...it lacks command and control, it lacks stability and it requires force and violence to maintain it

Is australia evil ask veya......

again ask an ISIS supporter

is it chaotic.....only marginally
It is stable, prosperous etc...

Is Russia evil...ask a loyal russian

ask a chechen

Is it chaotic well much more so than australia and hence per person much less prosperous than it could be and requires considerable force to "keep it from disintegrating"

scratch
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:58 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Ziz wrote:

i would challenge you on that...

a smooth running effectively run and orderly society is Clearly going to be distinguishable by certain indisputable and clearly obvious characteristics from a chaotic and disorderly one

in terms of wealth if nothing else (when compared obviously to similar societies...vis it would be no use comparing even the most orderly 3rd world society to even our relatively chaotic first world society...obvioulsy other factors can and do intrude to muddy the picture...principally "resource base")

however there would likely be no way of telling the difference between an ordered "good" society and an ordered "evil society" (since what is "good" or "evil" depends soley on your POV)

Is ISIS "evil"???

now ask an ISIS supporter.....

however is ISIS chaotic, visibly yes it is...it lacks command and control, it lacks stability and it requires force and violence to maintain it

Is australia evil ask veya......

again ask an ISIS supporter

is it chaotic.....only marginally
It is stable, prosperous etc...

Is Russia evil...ask a loyal russian

ask a chechen

Is it chaotic well much more so than australia and hence per person much less prosperous than it could be and requires considerable force to "keep it from disintegrating"

scratch

Challenge away but regardless, order and choas are relative attributes and therefore neither state can be demonstrated to be absolute.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:01 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Yes Syl, if you'd taken psychology up you may have been the one to crack it. We shall never know.
I think there must be an "evil gene" inside some people, surely?

Perhaps there is and it develops as a person matures.
We inherit genes and traits from our parents and grandparents etc, so we can inherit the good as well as the bad.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:02 pm

thats not a refutation...merely a restatement of your original premise...

order and chaos are clearly distinguishable

good and evil, depending SOLEY on ones personal POV are NOT since either side could view the same act totally different, whereas both would be able to know which was order and which was chaos and would agree thereon....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:03 pm

Lord Foul wrote:thats not a refutation...merely a restatement of your original premise...

good and evil, depending SOLEY on ones personal POV are NOT since either side could view the same act totally different, whereas both would be able to know which was order and which was chaos and would agree thereon....

Distinguishable, yes - relative to each other.

Though I agree with you that good and evil are also relative concepts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:12 pm

Ziz wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:thats not a refutation...merely a restatement of your original premise...

and to all other things too...the degree may be variable but non the less they are distiguishable, however there is NO such distinguising features which would allow a "truely neutral" person to distinguish between an act which is seen as good from one POV and evil from another...Its the SAME act...

there is no universal good or universal evil to reference to
the universe is chaotic...we are creatures of chaos...we live breath and die in chaos...

if the universe was totally "ordered" it would not exist...entropy would have run down.

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:18 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Ziz wrote:

and to all other things too...the degree may be variable but non the less they are distiguishable, however there is NO such distinguising features which would allow a "truely neutral" person to distinguish between an act which is seen as good from one POV and evil from another...Its the SAME act...

there is no universal good or universal evil to reference to
the universe is chaotic...we are creatures of chaos...we live breath and die in chaos...

if the universe was totally "ordered" it would not exist...entropy would have run down.

The universe cannot be said to be in a state of chaos or order since no comparative measure can be made from somewhere or something outwith the universe by definition.  BBC’s Newsbeat Asked If Black People Like Fried Chicken In ‘Unbelievably Racist’ Tweet 2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:26 pm

I think the pysicists would disagree....

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:27 pm

Lord Foul wrote:I think the pysicists would disagree....

You think wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:29 pm

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:

actually it is sort of racist
why point out blacks AT ALL
"all People are Humans"
You added Race for No reason. 
People means humans so Your example was to Explicitily isolate a minority and bring their Status As Human Beings into Question...

SO pretty sure that can easily be considered offensive too
And it is the premise that, your statement carries no Offense that is ALSO offensive.
So how do you feel if I point our that.
"All White Anglo are in fact Human beings... "

I mean we have more than 2 examples here that make me serisouly doubt the validity of that statement Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:32 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Ziz wrote:

actually it is sort of racist
why point out blacks AT ALL
"all People are Humans"
You added Race for No reason. 
People means humans so Your example was to Explicitily isolate a minority and bring their Status As Human Beings into Question...

SO pretty sure that can easily be considered offensive too
And it is the premise that, your statement carries no Offense that is ALSO offensive.
So how do you feel if I point our that.
"All White Anglo are in fact Human beings... "

I mean we have more than 2 examples here that make me serisouly doubt the validity of that statement Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Since all White Anglo are in fact Human beings I don't have the slightest problem with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:42 pm

Ziz wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:I think the pysicists would disagree....

You think wrong.
uhmm...no

entropy

Physics
a thermodynamic quantity representing the unavailability of a system's thermal energy for conversion into mechanical work, often interpreted as the degree of disorder or randomness in the system.
"the second law of thermodynamics says that entropy always increases with time"
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:47 pm

Ziz and LF have made a thread about fried chicken sound like a debate between Stephens Hawkins and Fry....ie incredibly highbrow, quite a fete. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:50 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Ziz wrote:

You think wrong.
uhmm...no

entropy  

Physics
a thermodynamic quantity representing the unavailability of a system's thermal energy for conversion into mechanical work, often interpreted as the degree of disorder or randomness in the system.
"the second law of thermodynamics says that entropy always increases with time"

Erm, yes.

Any thermodynamic system to which you seek a measure of chaos or entropy must be defined. The universe cannot be defined without reference to something outwith itself. Hence..

Ziz wrote:The universe cannot be said to be in a state of chaos or order since no comparative measure can be made from somewhere or something outwith the universe by definition.  BBC’s Newsbeat Asked If Black People Like Fried Chicken In ‘Unbelievably Racist’ Tweet 2190311264

Last edited by Ziz on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:52 pm

Syl wrote:Ziz and LF have made a thread about fried chicken sound like a debate between Stephens Hawkins and Fry....ie incredibly highbrow, quite a fete. Razz  

Do you know what they're waffling about?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:55 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:Ziz and LF have made a thread about fried chicken sound like a debate between Stephens Hawkins and Fry....ie incredibly highbrow, quite a fete. Razz  

No, unfortunately I am too sober to grasp any of it. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:58 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:

Without going out of doors one may know the whole world; without looking out of the window, one may see the Way of Heaven. The further one travels, the less one may know. Thus it is that without moving you shall know; without looking you shall see; without doing you shall achieve.

Bleedin' obvious, innit? Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:00 am

Erm thanks Ziz....On that note I am going to bed. Laughing
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:01 am

Ziz wrote:
Syl wrote:

Without going out of doors one may know the whole world; without looking out of the window, one may see the Way of Heaven. The further one travels, the less one may know. Thus it is that without moving you shall know; without looking you shall see; without doing you shall achieve.

Bleedin' obvious, innit? Rolling Eyes

Told you....it's Stephen Hawkins. Shocked

Night Eddie...off myself too. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:01 am

And me - night all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next