NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Raspberry Pi kit for kids aims at teaching them to code

2 posters

Go down

New Raspberry Pi kit for kids aims at teaching them to code Empty New Raspberry Pi kit for kids aims at teaching them to code

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:09 pm

Sounds like awesomeosity to me! Of course it's got a Kickstarter:

New Raspberry Pi kit for kids aims at teaching them to code Storytelling-at-pioneers

In the late 1980s a select group of British teens were given (or saved up their pocket money to buy) a small, rubber-keyed home PC called the Sinclair ZX Spectrum. My brother was one of them. And that little box, with its blank canvas start screen that prompted you to try out a few lines of code (Spectrum Basic), set him on the road to becoming a fully fledged programmer.
Fast forward to today, and the machines kids get to play with — the iPads and iPod Touches — don’t actively encouraging that sort of computing. They’re slick, sealed boxes, with UIs that deliberately conceal complexity so they can wow with effortless capability. They’re designed to please (to ‘delight’ in Applespeak), not to make you curious. And that’s an important difference.
The disconnect between the creative platforms of the past, and the slick, hermetically sealed boxes of today was the trigger for the U.K.-made Raspberry Pi microcomputer to be created by a group of Cambridge engineers. And just yesterday the Pi Foundation announced it has shipped its two millionth board.
It’s also the impetus behind a new platform, part-inspired by and built on top of the Pi, called Kano (pictured above, and in kit form below). What exactly is Kano? It’s a build-it-yourself computer launching today on Kickstarter with the aim of pulling in $100,000 in crowdbacking to get 1,000 of its Kano kits to market by summer 2014.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/19/kano-kickstarter/?ncid=fb
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

New Raspberry Pi kit for kids aims at teaching them to code Empty Re: New Raspberry Pi kit for kids aims at teaching them to code

Post by veya_victaous Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:26 pm

what the guy said about new devices is true.

people in IT were like "oh shit we're gonna be out of a job all these kids know computers"
But.. they dont in fact they seem to know less, sure they can use them really well (which at least stops the annoying 'how do I Save, again' questions)  but as soon as it doesn't respond as expected they have got nothing beyond turn it off and back on again.

they have grown to expect it to be easy, very easy so when it's nto they are very quick to give up.(possiblely also due to the throw away nature of devices today as well)

I think this is a very good idea, but i don't know if the same motivation will occur since they can just use their xbox to play games, I know i learnt heaps about hardware trying to get 'Dune' to work Surprised
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down