NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now???

3 posters

Go down

Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now??? Empty Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now???

Post by eddie Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:23 pm

43 - 13 explained using 'Common Core Maths'

What have I just watched???? Opinions please!!

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now??? Empty Re: Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now???

Post by eddie Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:23 pm

No wonder children seem to be getting dumber!
How is that easier?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now??? Empty Re: Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now???

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:13 pm

eddie wrote:43 - 13 explained using 'Common Core Maths'

What have I just watched???? Opinions please!!

Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now??? 1119013933

Seek and thee shall find, read and thee shall find out! 

Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now??? Fist-bump-smiley-emoticon

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:30 pm

Okay thanks for finding that, but erm, I don't need it?

I was actually asking if this was a better way to learn maths?
I think the point went a little over your head.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:32 pm

eddie wrote:Okay thanks for finding that, but erm, I don't need it?

I was actually asking if this was a better way to learn maths?
I think the point went a little over your head.

NOPE...I don't have to 'DUCK'; you asked for an OPINION and I stepped right up and gave you more useful info.  If you could understand it - then you'd KNOW Rolling Eyes

And as NORMAL...you take it right to the 'bad attitude' and dump it off! 
Not surprising --- just pathetically sad...well done little 'eddie'...well done indeed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:33 pm

I hope specsaver is not going to start trolling debating threads now.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:36 pm

It's all a bit long-winded IMO. I can't see what was wrong with the old way - much easier and quicker.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:16 pm

Taught my kids quick ways to do maths when they were tiny.  That's not a quick way for smal numbers as they were there.   However, it is a quick way for working with very large numbers, so I don't think that was a very good examply.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:18 pm

Yes rags and sassy that's what I think too. Very long-winded and you have to remember how to do it too!

It's rubbish!

I don't understand why they felt the need to change it?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:19 pm

eddie wrote:Yes rags and sassy that's what I think too. Very long-winded and you have to remember how to do it too!

It's rubbish!

I don't understand why they felt the need to change it?

No idea. I never had any trouble with the old way, even with large numbers.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:43 pm

Hence the reason I gave you a image of the publication ...due to such high demand from thousands of confused parents scratch their noggins nightly trying to help they're children a BOOK &/or books were written to HELP THE PARENTS!

Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now??? 1716015268

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:16 pm

what do you think of the new system aspca?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:46 pm

Just a brief bit of history here:

I volunteered to work with Autistic children for 4 years before they had funding to pay me - 1st grade - 4th grade. 

The scholastic books/teaching procedures would change from one year to another - confusing enough for children with no mental impairment but just as we'd make 'some headway' with a couple of autistic children they'd get moved forward and then that next year the methods for instruction would be DIFFERENT. 

Now imagine a classroom of 20-23 children: 4 identified with learning disabilities and 5 that are exceptional and never need any help --- where's that leave all of the marginal ones that just don't grasp the information '???'  Each year when the formula/methods for teaching changes it's like throwing lesson plans at those little brains written in GREEK and they {except for the top 5 or 6} have to start all over again. 
And it was even worse for the identified - autistic children.  They get assistant time based on their special scoring; one year they get higher marks - meet their goals for planned learning - next year their special aide time gets cut back because they scored so well in first grade. 
This sets them up for failure the next year; as well as losing ground for all of the marginal children not in the to 5 - 6 who never need ANY HELP.

So in a nut shell: NCLB {no child left behind} was a huge mammoth disaster --- someone formed a committee and said 'ENOUGH' this isn't working with all of these grammar school teachers using their own modified {6 unique ways to add/subtract/multiply} our test scores are showing how badly these kids are failing - the funding won't roll out to our schools unless our test scores raise and stay that way {more of NCLB} ---
The committee decided to make a 'COMMON CORE' standardized way of teaching 'MATH' --- affraid  

Take humans with a 'MASTERS DEGREE' in education and allow them free reign with an idea about designing... 'how to' do anything and SHAZZAM = 'Common Core'!
And the flashback has been enormous and it's curriculum that needed to be taught to all of the parents and explained in depth to older siblings was skipped over as 'not an issue'...easy - peasy! 

I've been asked to come back - the teachers I've worked with have begged me {no bragging here, they are just that desperate}...the Coop that I worked out of told me to 'pick my school of choice' and they'd let me work my own set hours! 
NO WAY - NO HOW - WON'T HAPPEN IN MY LIFE TIME.  

That's how horrid the entire Master Plan for Common Core was managed/generated and presented --- our public school system is in dire straights and heaven help those unfortunate children that are needing the basics to succeed.  SMH --- this debacle makes NCLB a Disney Land Trip in comparison!
Sorry my reply was so lengthy but this is just another of my soapbox issues.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:50 pm

Wow. That's nuts!
I used to work in education and I've seen teachers pull,their hair out over paperwork and guidelines and rules that make little sense....
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:04 pm

eddie wrote:Wow. That's nuts!
I used to work in education and I've seen teachers pull,their hair out over paperwork and guidelines and rules that make little sense....

The anguish and mental stress that the USA has placed upon out grade school education system --- well, we should be taken out and whipped like the butt-wipes we are for what we've allowed to happen to our public school education! 

Sincerely, if I had little ones ready to enter school; I'd quit my job, pitch a tent if need be to live in and 'Home School' my children!  It's just that dreadful what we have done!

NCLB made liars out of teachers - the computer labs where the mandatory tests take place - the school administrators for fudging the testing methods so their scores reflect in a positive way so that the NCLB Federal Funding will be allocated as mandated - educators have been fined/charged/adjudicated for their illegal testing process/lost their careers/been humiliated and defamed by the state mandated reports. 

Toss into that fray the high percentage of illegal lovely little children {and they are dear - dear little ones} and those test scores will drop like lead balloons and remain there.  Something this area deals with every time there's a wave of new young families arrived to live with 'cousins/grandparents/extended family members' already living here.  

But 'COMMON CORE' is not federally mandated...so there's many states rethinking their rapid jumping on board about that plan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:13 pm

Its all part of the lefty plan to de-educate kids, make things unworkable for them and train them to be non-thinking, obediant little clones fed on a diet of fantasy and soaps

part of the "frankfurt school" of thinking

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:14 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:16 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Its all part of the lefty plan to de-educate kids, make things unworkable for them and train them to be non-thinking, obediant little clones fed on a diet of fantasy and soaps

My fourteen year old son said the exact same thing to me just now, after watching that video.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:22 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Its all part of the lefty plan to de-educate kids, make things unworkable for them and train them to be non-thinking, obediant little clones fed on a diet of fantasy and soaps

You do have a way with words... Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now??? 630750432

IMHO --- it's just a huge Cluster F'd Up mess and we process warm little bodies and just keep shoving them out the door into the next grade and apply lots of Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now??? 2681620681  and 'atta boys or atta girls' and a peppermint candy while they're taking the every 3 month required testing and pretending that 'WE ARE THE SUPERIOR NATION' ---

BTW - the Asian invasion is quietly and pervasively taking over this country --- every year they migrate here in larger numbers and we only assume that the problem is from our Southern border!  fiesta

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:29 pm

It's just a long arsed way of subtracting
It's just stupid IMO
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:52 pm

since most "educationalists" have never , ever, stepped foot out side of a class room
this does not surprise me one bit.......
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:53 pm

Just a obscure observation from my years in within those hallowed walls; it's a dreadful shame that more of the 'ASIAN' persuasions aren't coming over in mass numbers of toddler ages.
Their calm demeanor and studious ways of doing class work, playing well with other children and just a general desire to LEARN...is something that would benefit all of our American Children and especially the unfortunate illegal-blameless Mexicans that can't get a break. 

The Mexican mentality about education is:
a.) if we feel like sending our children to school - they'll be there
b.) if we don't feel like sending them due to any family issue --- they won't be there and you'll never get a phone call letting you know
c.) if there's money in our collective pot for a spontaneous trip back to the heartland of Mexico --- we'll be gone and it might be a month before we return - again the school won't be notified - kids just disappear
d.) those dark doe eyed little ones will have exposed you to a plethora of contaminated viruses within days of working/sitting/holding their little hands - because they DO NOT BELIEVE IN CHILDHOOD VACCINATIONS - tuberculosis is spreading
e.) if they send their children to school with a over flowing back pack - filled with a weeks worth of paper work for the parents - daily homework that needed to be completed - it will remain that way from day #1 to the end of school year unless the teacher/teachers aide/or the Para-professional empties the back pack out
f.) if they send that child to school with any winter apparel it will end up in the huge mammoth pile in the lunch rooms 'Lost & Found' and they'll just go without until next years cycle of new clothes comes around
h.) if your desk buddy/team partner has something new & cool then it will become something stolen and carried home to have a show & tell for that illegal child's aging grandparents...because if you have the money to bring such pretty items to school then you can just go buy another one just like it - they learn this type of thrifty acquisition from their parents - it's how they live; you have money ergo you can buy a replacement of whatever they just lifted from your property
i.) if they are supposed to bring a valentine for the party/or a holiday stocking for the holiday party/or something special for to celebrate their birthdays --- that child will never have what all of the other children do because the parents expect the teacher/teachers aide/para-professionals to cover the cost and buy that needed item

I'll not bore you with all of the other issues that the 65% of illegals have done to just this area that I live in...but it was a huge shock to me when I relocated back here 17 yrs ago.  I had NO IDEA that the numbers of illegals had grown so drastically and what that impact was doing to our over burdened public school systems. Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now??? 2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:15 am

NOW ...you understand the issue some of ours have with the complex mixture of eastern europeans and Muslim types we are currently on the receiving end of....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:17 am

but of course aspca...you do realise that according to current L/W therory these illegals are right in their view of "whats yours is mine, and whats mine is my own"

its YOUR fault for having anything, and failing to descend to the lowest common denominator

and as for that terrible claim that they are bringing in disease...well they will hang you for that...

as I got hanged for saying the same about our great unwanted
tb is on the rise here...and it isnt due to whiteys

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:31 am

Lord Foul wrote:NOW ...you understand the issue some of ours have with the complex mixture of eastern europeans and Muslim types we are currently on the receiving end of....

Oh, I fully grasp all of the medical/religious/social issues that any number of illegal/or legal influx of immigrants can generate within a region...but as with my ASPCA rescue history --- I'd never be able to turn a mother and her children away...even if I had to throw down some air mattresses. 

It's just not how I/we were raised...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:37 am

Lord Foul wrote:but of course aspca...you do realise that according to current L/W therory these illegals are right in their view of "whats yours is mine, and whats mine is my own"

its YOUR fault for having anything, and failing to descend to the lowest common denominator

and as for that terrible claim that they are bringing in disease...well they will hang you for that...

as I got hanged for saying the same about our great unwanted
tb is on the rise here...and it isnt due to whiteys

This Illegal/Immigration issue will always be a 'THORNY' topic to discuss...that's why I've always just tried to state what I've observed - what I know and not make a JOKE {and with my snarky/sarcastic attitude, that is a challenge} out of the topic...humanity has become exactly what pushed the Irish out of Ireland and the Jews out of all of the European countries. 

By no fault of their own, these Muslim refugees' are needing a safe harbor --- sadly the mass numbers and nations that have been hit the hardest have already been dealing with the financial collapse of the Greek economy...
No easy answers for anyone!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:38 am

and then you wake in the morning to find your house empty Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now??? 2190311264

and the leftys will say....OHHH thats was sooo kind of you...now F**k off

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:46 am

As you may have gathered, I'm no friend of the left

I'm no great freind of the right either

However I feel i have to answer the leftie's for their sins..since they are represented on here by some reasonably well skilled and literate people

I dont have to bother too much with the right....they usually condemn themselves with their purile nonsense
and besides the left do it for me Laughing

as I said elsewher ..I'm a different fish altogether...... Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now??? 4183205388

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:17 am

Lord Foul wrote:and then you wake in the morning to find your house empty Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now??? 2190311264

See, I'm not fully grasping the 'Lefty vs Righty' thing from your POV; if I did something like that here in the USA --- I'd be so very supported by the 'LEFTIES' even more so than the Conservative - RIGHTIES; their mentality is...
I'll tell you I want to help my fellow man - but not here - not in my country - not in my area - and absolutely not in my county/city/or home!  Because despite that quaint saying of WWJD {what would jesus do}...the 'Fake-Faithful' here in America are all about ...giving as long as it's NOT COMING OUT OF THEIR POCKETS!   Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:28 am

aspca4ever wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:and then you wake in the morning to find your house empty Maths explained?? This is how we are teaching kids now??? 2190311264

See, I'm not fully grasping the 'Lefty vs Righty' thing from your POV; if I did something like that here in the USA --- I'd be so very supported by the 'LEFTIES' even more so than the Conservative - RIGHTIES; their mentality is...
I'll tell you I want to help my fellow man - but not here - not in my country - not in my area - and absolutely not in my county/city/or home!  Because despite that quaint saying of WWJD {what would jesus do}...the 'Fake-Faithful' here in America are all about ...giving as long as it's NOT COMING OUT OF THEIR POCKETS!   Wink

Nope aspca...there would be no such support here

as evidenced in the "gang grooming " controversy over here

IN almost every (if not in fact every) case where this happend it was under the auspices of a lefty council and a lefty inclined police force....

dont look for support from the left ...especially if you have been robbed/assaulted whatever by either a scumbag scrote, whose existance is worth less than a slug (the slimey sort)
or by one of our wonderful guests..... Rolling Eyes

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:32 am

WOW, that's quite the 'UP SIDE DOWN'/roll reversal for how the 'LEFT vs RIGHT' point of view {POV} has been socially established. Odd - just really odd.
And now it's late in my long day and nearing my bedtime but I looked at your avatar and there's no location stated --- so I've forgotten where {if you told me} you live. But so much of your vernacular sounds similar to my Aussie ole buddy EMUbobber; we've been connecting via the internet community since 2001. He's a dear sainted old curmudgeon that has been warning me for years that my 'Rescue/open hearted ways of viewing the world' would just bring me nothing but grief and social outcast where he lives. I really just thought he was yanking my chain/poking me for the fun of it...now I see he was pretty serious. Golly, things aren't so simple, even when we think our language is so similar.
Good night LordFoul...I'm hanging it up!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down