NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insomnia cure?

+2
Ben Reilly
eddie
6 posters

Go down

Insomnia cure?  Empty Insomnia cure?

Post by eddie Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:52 pm

I've just read an article about curing insomnia  it as I cant C&P due to this bloody stupid bloody ipad, I can't give you the article....( this takes cutting down on words to a whole new level, eh Didge and sassy?)
Anyhoo, it's called the 4-7-8 method.

It's basically slowing down your heartrate and everything else in your body, in order to "put your body to sleep".

What you do:

Breathe in for FOUR  seconds through your nose
Hold for SEVEN seconds
Breathe out over EIGHT seconds

If someone cares to google it and plonk the article and link here then thanks.

Oh and that's from memory so don't blame me if you die.

Oh and it's SECONDS not MINUTES. Shocked don't do mimutes or you probably will die.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Insomnia cure?  Empty Re: Insomnia cure?

Post by Guest Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:22 pm

I once suggested to my ex's mother that in order to cure her hiccups she should hold her breath for 10 minutes
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:38 am

This is actually a pretty well-researched relaxation technique that I use sometimes -- I got into a really bad auto accident years ago and people driving recklessly can still really make my heart race. The breathing technique involves the same nerve that can make some people susceptible to fainting.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:46 am

Here's one of many if ya google:

http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/27/the-4-7-8-breathing-technique-is-your-new-bff-for-a-good-nights-sleep-5038429/
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:46 am

Well on that note, I'm going to try it! Been a long day, hope I don't need it. Night.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:53 am

good night and good luck!
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:57 am

Have no problem in going to sleep providing I go to bed at 10.30 pm, any later and i'll lie awake for hours. What I want to know is why I come instantly awake at around 2.30 to 3.30 am and lie there trying to go back to sleep for the rest of the night, I rarely can so I'm up very early. Then at around 10 am I'm trying to keep awake! I often go back to bed around 1 pm,i'll doze for an hour or two,[ with a cat curled up against me] then get up feeling knackered and wait for 10.30 pm to go to bed again! No life at all.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:50 am

Nicko try the 4-7-8 technique when you wake up at 3am
See if it works and stick with it
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:00 am

nicko wrote:Have no problem in going to sleep providing I go to bed at 10.30 pm,  any later and i'll lie awake for hours. What I want to know is why I come instantly awake at around 2.30 to 3.30 am and lie there trying to go back to sleep for the rest of the night, I rarely can so I'm up very early. Then at around 10 am I'm trying to keep awake! I often go back to bed around 1 pm,i'll doze for an hour or two,[ with a cat curled up against me] then get up feeling knackered and wait for 10.30 pm to go to bed again! No life at all.

Nicko, can I suggest that, no matter how much you feel like it, you try not going back to bed at 1 and then going to bed about 11. Your body has got itself into a rthymn and you have to break it, I now cos I've been there. I used to sleep for a couple of hours and then wake up for ages, then feel knackered in the afternoon. I've found that for me, going to bed about 1 or 2 (not suggesting you do the same lol) and then I sleep for 7 hours, get up as soon as I wake up and keep going all day. It was hard to do at first, but now when I wake up I've slept right through for the 7 hours, and never thought I would do that again.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:41 am

This morning I got up at 3.40am, went down stairs made a cup of tea. AT 9am could not keep awake sitting in chair, Wife said go back to bed you might sleep. went back to bed just could not go to sleep, so got up again. Now sitting in chair typing this!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:52 am

I simply have an earth shattering shag.
2 minutes after I have erupted I am falling asleep.
Works for me.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Well that would only take about 2 minutes for you, nothing to get excited about!
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:38 pm

nicko wrote:Well that would only take about 2 minutes for you, nothing to get excited about!

lol!
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:15 pm

I also have a tried & tested method for ensuring sleep & I call it the 120-30 method.

Load up your rucksack with 120 pounds in weight & go for a 30 mile walk.

After that,you will sleep.

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by nicko Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:30 pm

I ask a serious question and apart from a few all I get is jokey replies.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:49 pm

I'm having the strangest dreams at the moment; dreams inside dreams Sad

So intense and emotional, I'll awake from a dream only to find I'm still asleep and trying to make sense of the last connected dream while still dreaming.  Then I wake to find I'm trying to understand my dream inside a dream.  Make sense to anyone? Insomnia cure?  Confus11

I had a full blown nightmare while I was away too, screaming the whole works Insomnia cure?  Scared12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:53 pm

nicko wrote:I  ask a serious question and apart from a few all I get is  jokey replies.

Here's a pretty good run-down of the basics. They should help most people who don't have an actual sleep disorder:

* Get some exercise in the late afternoon -- not so late you'll have adrenaline, but not so early that the endorphin high is gone.

* Don't overdo it at dinner; avoid taking in a lot of protein, which can rev you up.

* Obviously, avoid caffeine and nicotine. Also, don't drink too much alcohol, but one or two drinks won't hurt.

* Make your bed as comfortable as possible and your bedroom as dark as possible, and unless it distracts you, turn on something that generates white noise, like a fan.

* Don't worry about falling asleep. Read a book for a while and even if you end up staying awake longer than you wanted, you will eventually nod off. I didn't believe in this one until I woke up one morning with my reading light still on and my book still half in my hand -- I must have practically passed out Smile

If you can't fall asleep even doing these things, you should go to the doctor. There are also over-the-counter (at least in the U.S.) drugs and supplements such as diphenhydramine, doxylamine and melatonin that help me quite a bit.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:55 pm

feelthelove wrote:I'm having the strangest dreams at the moment; dreams inside dreams Sad

So intense and emotional, I'll awake from a dream only to find I'm still asleep and trying to make sense of the last connected dream while still dreaming.  Then I wake to find I'm trying to understand my dream inside a dream.  Make sense to anyone? Insomnia cure?  Confus11

I had a full blown nightmare while I was away too, screaming the whole works Insomnia cure?  Scared12

Is there any reason someone might be trying to make you think you came up with the idea of dissolving your father's company? Smile

Insomnia cure?  Latest?cb=20100717224052
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:04 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
nicko wrote:I  ask a serious question and apart from a few all I get is  jokey replies.

Here's a pretty good run-down of the basics. They should help most people who don't have an actual sleep disorder:

* Get some exercise in the late afternoon -- not so late you'll have adrenaline, but not so early that the endorphin high is gone.

* Don't overdo it at dinner; avoid taking in a lot of protein, which can rev you up.

* Obviously, avoid caffeine and nicotine. Also, don't drink too much alcohol, but one or two drinks won't hurt.

* Make your bed as comfortable as possible and your bedroom as dark as possible, and unless it distracts you, turn on something that generates white noise, like a fan.

* Don't worry about falling asleep. Read a book for a while and even if you end up staying awake longer than you wanted, you will eventually nod off. I didn't believe in this one until I woke up one morning with my reading light still on and my book still half in my hand -- I must have practically passed out Smile

If you can't fall asleep even doing these things, you should go to the doctor. There are also over-the-counter (at least in the U.S.) drugs and supplements such as diphenhydramine, doxylamine and melatonin that help me quite a bit.

And another trick is to keep,your eyes open; they get too heavy and tired to stay opne and will naturally shut
Let yourself get cold then cover yourself up - the act of "warming up" makes you feel sleepy

@FTL - are you worried about soemthing? Sad
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:01 pm

Failing the above,just read a couple of Rising suns posts & you'll be out for a week.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:51 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

And another trick is to keep,your eyes open; they get too heavy and tired to stay opne and will naturally shut
Let yourself get cold then cover yourself up - the act of "warming up" makes you feel sleepy

@FTL - are you worried about soemthing? Sad

Sorry Eddie, missed this Insomnia cure?  Embarr12

No, I'm not worried about anything specific.  I've always dreamt very vividly but these false awakenings are a new thing Insomnia cure?  Sleep10

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:06 am

Doctor gave me some low dose Valium, I have been sleeping 6 hours straight through, but on waking don't know weather I'm coming or going, ache all over and still feel knackered.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:39 pm

nicko wrote:Doctor gave me some low dose Valium, I have been sleeping 6 hours straight through, but on waking don't know weather I'm coming or going, ache all over and still feel knackered.

Nicky that is a "false" sleep
You're not going to wake up feeling refreshed.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down