NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twitter plans to track phone numbers to clamp down on trolls:

2 posters

Go down

Twitter plans to track phone numbers to clamp down on trolls:  Empty Twitter plans to track phone numbers to clamp down on trolls:

Post by Guest Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:12 pm

Twitter plans to track phone numbers to clamp down on trolls: Social network will blacklist abusive users to keep them off site

Reports claim Twitter will start banning users who violate its rules
   It will then add these user's addresses and phone numbers to a blacklist
   This means if an offender attempts to sign up for other accounts using these details Twitter will be able to intervene
   Twitter boss Dick Costolo recently said site 'sucks' at dealing with trolls
   In an internal memo he also took responsibility for Twitter's problems

Twitter streamlined its abuse reporting system in December

Twitter's boss recently admitted the social network 'sucks' at dealing with trolls and now the site is making good on its promise to clamp down on these abusive accounts.

Reports from The Verge claim the site will start banning users who violate its rules by tracking email addresses and phone numbers.

This means that if an offender attempts to sign up for other accounts using these details Twitter will be able to intervene.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2971943/Twitter-plans-track-phone-numbers-clamp-trolls-Social-network-blacklist-abusive-users-site.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This could be bad news for some i suspect.
fortunately i have never made homophobic or racist tweet or post  in my life Smile

a new abuse reporting system in December i did not know that will have to check that out

Back to top Go down

Twitter plans to track phone numbers to clamp down on trolls:  Empty Re: Twitter plans to track phone numbers to clamp down on trolls:

Post by veya_victaous Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:04 pm

wait so they didn't already and you could use the same details to sign up for multiple accounts??

the legitimate reason for collecting that information (as opposed to Just so you can sell it) for a website is to ensure individuality of user accounts.

that also means there is NOT anywhere near as many twitter uses as they say in fact based on gaming averages (when they allow this multi account thing) that means there is probably less than half that number of real people.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Twitter plans to track phone numbers to clamp down on trolls:  Empty Re: Twitter plans to track phone numbers to clamp down on trolls:

Post by Guest Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:47 pm

veya_victaous wrote:wait so they didn't already and you could use the same details to sign up for multiple accounts??

the legitimate reason for collecting that information (as opposed to Just so you can sell it) for a website is to ensure individuality of user accounts.

that also means there is NOT anywhere near as many twitter uses as they say in fact based on gaming averages (when they allow this multi account thing) that means there is probably less than half that number of real people.
you didn`t need a number until recently for a twitter account that started last year I think .so multiple accounts where fairly easy

but it doesn`t ensure individuality of user accounts in the sense of the account holder, just individuality of phone numbers linked to the accounts which for a experienced troll is no barrier at all

Sims and new numbers and even phones are cheap or in the case of sims often free
but every little obstacle helps i guess

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:27 pm

It doesn't work but that was the idea behind getting people to sign up with an email account then send them a confirmation email that they have to respond to as a way to reduce the number of bots and reduce the number of multi account users. Of course since half the socal media compaines entire business model is selling the users data to advertisers the more 'users' the better even if half of them are just duplicates.

Don't use Twitter myself.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:32 pm

I do, but only for work stuff. Amazing the response I can get to just posting the score from a game I'm covering.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:36 pm

I use it all the time, follow people from all over the world, it's amazing the amount of information you get from it long before it's on the news.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:41 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:I do, but only for work stuff. Amazing the response I can get to just posting the score from a game I'm covering.
I do use it now an again especially to tweet sky news on story's what was really satisfying when old floppy boy made a tweet that was re tweeted by a MP
i sent two tweets to sky news about it ....both got read out on air and were not praise of the homophobic content of his tweet

it can be used for great good but like every thing else you get abuses so any way to catch them is fine by me

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down