NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building your own PC -- advice sought

2 posters

Go down

Building your own PC -- advice sought Empty Building your own PC -- advice sought

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:27 pm

Hey folks, I'm thinking I'd like my next PC to be one I build myself. I want to make something long-lasting and super-upgradeable.

Has anyone here done this, and can you share any best practices/caveats/etc. advice? I've seen a number of guides online that make it look not-too-difficult, and I have all the tools I'll need.

What I'm particularly interested in knowing is whether one particular motherboard is considered quite future-proof, and if there are any case/PS combinations that work well together for keeping other components cool and dust-free. I'd also like an energy-efficient build.

About the most resource-intensive task I perform is video editing, which works well on my current PC (3.10 ghz, 6 gigs of RAM). Any help would be appreciated!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Building your own PC -- advice sought Empty Re: Building your own PC -- advice sought

Post by veya_victaous Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:52 pm

MSI is my preference for motherboards , spend the money on getting one with the latest ports and card slots. plus check the max RAMM it can read not just physically hold. but you should be choosing the board and CPU together, honestly if you can buy them attached it is worth it for the hassle it saves (most of the time if one dies both or whole PC is gone anyway)

Antec is great for Cases they are a little bigger which is good for human hands to get to parts etc. plus they have good cooling options, which is good for longevity because you can overclock your CPU once it starts getting a little old.
Check out some of the Antec cooling options, you can get intake fans with cleanable filters (got 2 on my home PC) and it is amazing how much they pick up in a month. plus adjustable speed fans whoch are good for controlling noise/power with out limiting your systems usability when its hot.

Have Fun :D 
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Building your own PC -- advice sought Empty Re: Building your own PC -- advice sought

Post by Ben Reilly Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:55 pm

Awesome, thanks very much. I'm looking to start buying pieces once I'm confident in my choices and putting it together while this one's still alive Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down