NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving for Uber

+3
nicko
Irn Bru
Ben Reilly
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Driving for Uber Empty Driving for Uber

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:15 pm

The "ride-sharing" program just started up in my city and I'm thinking about trying it out. On the surface, it sounds like a good way to earn a little extra cash. Thoughts?

The biggest thing I'm worried about is that riders might not be too thrilled with my 2009 Chevy Aveo with a dent in the door ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Driving for Uber Empty Re: Driving for Uber

Post by Irn Bru Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:21 pm

We've got that here but I like my own music and setting my own travel schedules too much to share.

Quite a few people do it but it's not for me.

https://edinburgh.liftshare.com/default.asp
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:39 pm

Irn Bru wrote:We've got that here but I like my own music and setting my own travel schedules too much to share.

I appreciate that! I looked at it from the passenger side and it looks like the trips are pretty cheap, especially seeing as the best my car would qualify for is the UberX level of service. But it doesn't sound like Uber takes a big chunk out of that fare. I may just try it out and see how I like it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:10 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:We've got that here but I like my own music and setting my own travel schedules too much to share.

I appreciate that! I looked at it from the passenger side and it looks like the trips are pretty cheap, especially seeing as the best my car would qualify for is the UberX level of service. But it doesn't sound like Uber takes a big chunk out of that fare. I may just try it out and see how I like it.

Mind you Ben. If you're not feeling well one morning and can't manage when it's your turn you can always send them the car. Laughing

This is what Britain has planned for its driverless car trials

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techandscience/this-is-what-britain-has-planned-for-its-driverless-car-trials/ar-BBgjOiX?ocid=mailsignout
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:22 am

Yeah, I can't wait for driverless cars! Really looking forward to the eventual driverless RV, which will make vacationing so much more awesome I could honestly pee my pants just thinking about it Smile

Here's one designer's take:

http://m12ha3l.wix.com/mdanew#!driverlessrv/c4sh
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:35 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:Yeah, I can't wait for driverless cars! Really looking forward to the eventual driverless RV, which will make vacationing so much more awesome I could honestly pee my pants just thinking about it Smile

Here's one designer's take:

http://m12ha3l.wix.com/mdanew#!driverlessrv/c4sh

I love that Campervan, in fact I want one of them as soon as they become available.

I suppose the price range may be a bit on the high side but I can always sell the house.

Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:35 am

driverless cars, what a fcuking joke , what a waste of money. I can see car insurance going through the roof. Crashes all over the place.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:20 am

I think it will be a while before they are good enough for traffic. it would be a lot easier if we put sensors in the road but that would be a huge investment in infrastructure....
it is not practical here maybe in the cities but too many long stretches of nothing in rural areas, it would cost more than the GDP to install it.

the other problem is how well will they work if most people still have normal cars?.. and licenses??? who loses the points and gets the fines?

Personally wouldn't mind one, I catch a train to work now because i prefer to read a book etc on the way than sit in traffic watching the car in front. Smile
Driving for Uber 3356277174 Driving for Uber 3356277174 Driving for Uber 3356277174 Driving for Uber 3356277174 Driving for Uber 3356277174
Driving for Uber 3738099605 Driving for Uber 3738099605 Driving for Uber 3738099605 Driving for Uber 3738099605 Driving for Uber 3738099605 Driving for Uber 3738099605
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:24 am

nicko wrote:driverless cars,   what a fcuking joke ,  what a waste of money.  I can see car insurance going through the roof. Crashes all over the place.

That's an interesting point there Nicko; how would the insurance companies handle the insurance cover and what if one driverless car crashed into another driverless car? who would be responsible? - the vehicle production company, the vehicle owner or even the manufacturer of a defective component that caused a failure etc.

Driving for Uber Z
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:28 am

veya_victaous wrote:I think it will be a while before they are good enough for traffic. it would be a lot easier if we put sensors in the road but that would be a huge investment in infrastructure....
it is not practical here maybe in the cities but too many long stretches of nothing in rural areas, it would cost more than the GDP to install it.

the other problem is how well will they work if most people still have normal cars?.. and licenses??? who loses the points and gets the fines?

Personally wouldn't mind one, I catch a train to work now because i prefer to read a book etc on the way than sit in traffic watching the car in front. Smile
Driving for Uber 3356277174 Driving for Uber 3356277174 Driving for Uber 3356277174 Driving for Uber 3356277174 Driving for Uber 3356277174
Driving for Uber 3738099605 Driving for Uber 3738099605 Driving for Uber 3738099605 Driving for Uber 3738099605 Driving for Uber 3738099605 Driving for Uber 3738099605

I believe London is due to introduce driverless trains in the near future. I'm sure they are already in operation in the USA and I know they have little one's at Stansted Airport to ferry people out to some of the terminals.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:18 pm

We've got them in the San Francisco Airport...AirTrain. They are not integrated into traffic; they run on elevated structures. Use over-inflated tires.

Kinda weird, still.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:39 pm

Google's driverless car program has logged over 700,000 miles with one accident -- when one of them was rear-ended by a human driver ...

And their program doesn't rely on infrastructure -- all the tech is inside the car.

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgQpa1pUUE
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:58 am

nicko wrote:driverless cars,   what a fcuking joke ,  what a waste of money.  I can see car insurance going through the roof. Crashes all over the place.

And bang goes a whole workforce, unemployed.
Just like Britain's fishermen.

This world is going to have many people out of work and will be run by fucking robots.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:54 pm

eddie wrote:

This world is going to have many people out of work and will be run by fucking robots.

Do taxi drivers in Britain own their cars?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:26 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

Some of them. They are very expensive: about £35,000

Uber are putting london taxi drivers out of business very badly.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:59 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:

Some of them. They are very expensive: about £35,000

Uber are putting london taxi drivers out of business very badly.

Well, a driverless car could make money for you while you do something else, if you own it.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:55 pm

http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/is-uber-really-worth-48-billion/story-e6frfmci-1227148143312

at $48.11 billion, the prize may go to Uber. That is more than double what investors valued the company at just six months ago.
With an easy-to-use app, the company promises to tap a big market that links drivers and customers who need rides. But it also faces regulatory hurdles, competition and questions about how it will make money.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:57 am

Uber is literally killing the black taxi trade.
Mini cabs are neither CRB checked to the high standard of black cabs (I wouldn't put my young teenager in one) nor are they as cheap or routinely checked.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:25 am

eddie wrote:

And self-checkout facilities in supermarkets. I've seen longer queues waiting to use them than there are at the normal checkouts lol

Please put your item in the bag

I put it in

So I took it out and put it back in again

Oh fvck off
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
eddie wrote:

And self-checkout facilities in supermarkets. I've seen longer queues waiting to use them than there are at the normal checkouts lol

I put it in

Oh fvck off

LOL the Aussie solution
make them replace the lowly paid Checkout chick with a higher wage security guard for the self service check out. Driving for Uber 1284863816 Driving for Uber 1284863816 Driving for Uber 1284863816
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:16 am

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/uber-background-checks-missed-murderer-sex-offenders-us-prosecutors-claim/story-fnkgde2y-1227492590375

The company’s background checking process was riddled with “systemic failures”, they alleged.

“In Los Angeles alone, registered sex offenders, a kidnapper, identity thieves, burglars, and a convicted murderer had passed Uber’s ‘industry leading’ background check,” the prosecutors wrote in a complaint that seeks penalties against the company.

The drivers’ criminal histories only came to light after they were caught in other infractions while driving for Uber, the documents allege.

The company’s publicity, it said, was “likely to mislead consumers into believing that Uber does everything it can to ensure their safety and that Uber’s background check process will capture all of the criminal history of an applicant,” the complaint said.

It said the allegedly “misleading representations” were particularly dangerous given that many California parents send their teenage children unaccompanied with Uber drivers.

One driver who was convicted for “committing lewd or lascivious acts against a child under 14” gave almost 6,000 rides to Uber passengers, including unaccompanied children, Sky News reports.

Another, a convicted murderer who spent 26 years in prison before being released on parole in 2008, allegedly joined Uber with a fake name and gave 1,168 rides before being discovered.

A third driver had a conviction for kidnapping for ransom with a firearm, selling cocaine and drink driving.

Uber treats its drivers as independent contractors, and has generally fewer contract obligations surrounding them then typical cab companies.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:03 am

Irn Bru wrote:
eddie wrote:

I put it in

Oh fvck off

I would warn everyone off of those self-checkouts. The retail trade is a lot about deception, misplacing product behind the wrong price sign, not entering advertised prices in the computer, making the ring-up as confusing as possible. I always go through a manned checkout lane, because I have to question about 40% of my purchases...and 80% of those I'm right. People are being conditioned to not question anything.

Safeway has so many complaints with the Federal Trade Commission, that now if you point out their mistake they have a policy of giving you the item free of charge. Its worth it just to avoid another complaint.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:30 am

another one of those things the US is way behind the civilized world on Quill.

I'd report it to the ACCC (you have no equivalent in the USA) they'd investigate and take them to court

Flat blanket rule they MUST charge what it says on the shelf we DO NOT ALLOW adding of taxes levies etc at time of purchase they ALL must be included in their shelf price of the retailer pays them from their own pocket.

its back to the lying the us systemically allows lying at every point.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:24 am

veya_victaous wrote:another one of those things the US is way behind the civilized world on Quill.

I'd report it to the ACCC (you have no equivalent in the USA) they'd investigate and take them to court

Flat blanket rule they MUST charge what it says on the shelf we DO NOT ALLOW adding of taxes levies etc at time of purchase they ALL must be included in their shelf price of the retailer pays them from their own pocket.

What do you think the FTC is?  Of course...we invented the rules as well as the regulators.

Shelf prices are not added to, or anything that traceable.  Taxes cannot be levied on food of any kind in the US, POS or not.  

But the retail business has gone into the toilet in the past 35-years, as any MBA will tell you.  In both retail and in the computer/software industry, the snake-oil salesman has returned.  People are trained to use deception--visual as well as actual--and it's all right because it's so similar to psychological marketing.  "We are creating an attractive visual," they will claim.  If a night clerk stocks bread so that the non-sale item slips 3" over onto the space for the sale item, they just say that some customer did it and they are not to blame.  You gotta get up early to police them...maybe a 24-hour surveillance camera or such.

It's the same anywhere, UK, US or OZ.  The university courses that teach MBAs how to deceive in order to create sales are not limited to Cambridge or University of Sydney or the Wharton School.  If you think OZ is so pristine, you are in denial.  Over the centuries, the moral world fluctuates and it takes the regulators time to catch up to the shenanigans. Look what they are doing in the software industry; a whole generation of lawyers has grown up to teach them antitrust laws all over again...where auto manufacturers and telecommunications people have known how to do it right for years.  Neophyte and newborns always have to dip their toes in sin and get them singed. And that's just what's going on in this highly volatile world.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:54 am

shelf prices are added to, you pick up an object that says $10 and take it to the counter and have to pay $10 plus taxes or whatever.. everyone always complains if they get back from the USA about how stupid it is, that you DO NOT charge the shelf price and that is on food too.

LOL You guys did not invent regulations, you still don't have it so how could you invent it? everyone outside the USA laughs at the fact the USA has so few regulations to protect normal citizens.

and our Grocery chains have already had their asses sued when they tried that shit down here
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-10/coles-fined-millions-over-false-freshly-baked-bread-claims/6383062

FTC is not even close to the ACCC in power

TPG (internet provider)
https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/high-court-reinstates-2m-penalty-against-tpg-0

Apple
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-27/accc-takes-apple-to-court-over-advertising/3916572

the USA is miles behind everyone else when it comes to holding corporation accountable

And Australia is only 127 years old CENTURIES haven't past at all!!!!

and that night clerk case here the STORE sells you it for the sale price... end of story, that is not an excuse. it happens everyday people even purposely move sales stickers, the store just accept it and charges the sale price. it has too be large sum for them to bother checking the cameras.
Again it is like the advertising You say corporation can do what they want UNTIL someone proves they did wrong.
HERE they have to prove they are not doing wrong BEFORE they do it, if they do it and are wrong they are liable.
The Burden of proof is completely reversed because Corporations are not people. NO Matter how much US lobbyists push the idea they are, no one else is accepting it.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:45 am

Ben have you read nothing that I've put up about uber as company??????
Have you read nothing I've said about what it's doing to my family and the families of all taxi drivers the world over???
American yellow taxis are losing their livelihood?!!!!

Words fail me!!!!

http://www.newsfixboard.com/t10827-black-taxi-demonstration-message-to-tfl-you-are-totally-failing-london
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:58 am

Original Quill wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

I put it in

Oh fvck off

I would warn everyone off of those self-checkouts.  The retail trade is a lot about deception, misplacing product behind the wrong price sign, not entering advertised prices in the computer, making the ring-up as confusing as possible.  I always go through a manned checkout lane, because I have to question about 40% of my purchases...and 80% of those I'm right.  People are being conditioned to not question anything.

Safeway has so many complaints with the Federal Trade Commission, that now if you point out their mistake they have a policy of giving you the item free of charge.  Its worth it just to avoid another complaint.

Retail staff are human, and they make mistakes, like everyone else. I doubt they deliberately put things behind the wrong price. Also, customers put things back in the wrong place.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:59 am

eddie wrote:Ben have you read nothing that I've put up about uber as company??????
Have you read nothing I've said about what it's doing to my family and the families of all taxi drivers the world over???

Words fail me!!!!

http://www.newsfixboard.com/t10827-black-taxi-demonstration-message-to-tfl-you-are-totally-failing-london

This is an old thread eddie - from last December.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:02 am

veya_victaous wrote:another one of those things the US is way behind the civilized world on Quill.

If the price on the shelf is wrong, they don't have to charge that price here. They generally do honour it because it's good for customer relations, but if it's a glaring error or the price is hugely wrong, they probably won't.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:18 pm

veya_victaous wrote:shelf prices are added to, you pick up an object that says $10 and take it to the counter and have to pay $10 plus taxes or whatever.. everyone always complains if they get back from the USA about how stupid it is, that you DO NOT charge the shelf price and that is on food too.

LOL You guys did not invent regulations, you still don't have it so how could you invent it? everyone outside the USA laughs at the fact the USA has so few regulations to protect normal citizens.

and our Grocery chains have already had their asses sued when they tried that shit down here
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-10/coles-fined-millions-over-false-freshly-baked-bread-claims/6383062

FTC is not even close to the ACCC in power

TPG (internet provider)
https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/high-court-reinstates-2m-penalty-against-tpg-0

Apple
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-27/accc-takes-apple-to-court-over-advertising/3916572

the USA is miles behind everyone else when it comes to holding corporation accountable

And Australia is only 127 years old CENTURIES haven't past at all!!!!

and that night clerk case here the STORE sells you it for the sale price... end of story, that is not an excuse. it happens everyday people even purposely move sales stickers, the store just accept it and charges the sale price. it has too be large sum for them to bother checking the cameras.
Again it is like the advertising You say corporation can do what they want UNTIL someone proves they did wrong.
HERE they have to prove they are not doing wrong BEFORE they do it, if they do it and are wrong they are liable.
The Burden of proof is completely reversed because Corporations are not people. NO Matter how much US lobbyists push the idea they are, no one else is accepting it.

OZ is nothing special, veya. Get over yourself.

I join in on the American-bashing with the best of them, when it comes to constructive criticism. But I don't think I'd like living anywhere else...and certainly not OZ. There's no there there. Mad

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:25 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Retail staff are human, and they make mistakes, like everyone else. I doubt they deliberately put things behind the wrong price. Also, customers put things back in the wrong place.

It takes a long time for the ordinary folk to wake up. But when was the last time you took an MBA class?

My oldest took her MBA degree from Harvard, and she tells me they were warning students about this trend in retail in ethics classes some ten-years ago.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:33 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Retail staff are human, and they make mistakes, like everyone else. I doubt they deliberately put things behind the wrong price. Also, customers put things back in the wrong place.

It takes a long time for the ordinary folk to wake up.  But when was the last time you took an MBA class?  

My oldest took her MBA degree from Harvard, and she tells me they were warning students about this trend in retail in ethics classes some ten-years ago.

What is an MBA class?

I think she's talking shit.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:22 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

It takes a long time for the ordinary folk to wake up.  But when was the last time you took an MBA class?  

What is an MBA class?

MBA is a program in higher university education.  It means a masters degree in business administration.  It's a popular professional degree these days.

I believe what she tells me about retail ethics...or lack thereof.  Particularly when I walk into a store the next day and observe exactly what she describes.  And you point out the price label is in the wrong place, and they say "Oh, the customers do that."  And then she tells me, Dad, that's what they teach you to say.  Either she's clairvoyant or she's reporting on something that is a real-life trend.

But it's like global warming.  I don't expect any conservative to admit practices that are contrary to business.

Last edited by Original Quill on Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:24 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

What is an MBA class?

MBA is a program in higher education.  It means a masters degree in business administration.  It's a popular professional degree these days.

I believe what she tells me about retail ethics...or lack thereof.  Particularly when I walk into a store the next day and observe exactly what she describes.  And you point out the price label is in the wrong place, and they say "Oh, the customers do that."  And then she tells me, Dad, that's what they teach you to say.  Either she's clairvoyant or she's reporting on something that is a real-life trend.

But it's like global warming.  I don't expect any conservative to admit practices that are contrary to business.

So she's clairvoyant and knows that the retail staff are lying then?

They make mistakes - a price ticket might be slightly out of place, or slightly out of date. Customers move things and put them back above another price ticket. It wouldn't surprise me if some customers did actually move tickets.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:28 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

MBA is a program in higher education.  It means a masters degree in business administration.  It's a popular professional degree these days.

They make mistakes - a price ticket might be slightly out of place, or slightly out of date. Customers move things and put them back above another price ticket. It wouldn't surprise me if some customers did actually move tickets.

Yeah...she's been forewarned. That's part of what an education gives you. It teaches you the games people play in a certain field. Tricks of the trade. However you put it, this is the trend in the retail trade industry.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:30 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Yeah...she's been forewarned.  That's part of what an education gives you.  It teaches you the games people play in a certain field.  Tricks of the trade.  However you put it, this is the trend in the retail trade industry.

Not in my experience.

Anyway, as I said, there is no obligation for a retailer in the UK to sell anything at the price it's advertised at. Obviously, if a shop constantly had the wrong price tickets up, they'd be checked out by Trading Standards.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:47 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Yeah...she's been forewarned.  That's part of what an education gives you.  It teaches you the games people play in a certain field.  Tricks of the trade.  However you put it, this is the trend in the retail trade industry.

Not in my experience.

Anyway, as I said, there is no obligation for a retailer in the UK to sell anything at the price it's advertised at. Obviously, if a shop constantly had the wrong price tickets up, they'd be checked out by Trading Standards.

We've got the same thing. With most industries--retail and software included--what isn't regulated is fair game. And let's face it, deception in some form has always been in the business tool-box. So, ethics doesn't matter much.

Occasionally, these movements sweep through various trade fields. Remember when negative sales techniques were used to sell encyclopedias and kitchen knives? Just recently, the banking and brokerage industry was caught with their pants down. Remember Enron Corporation? It happens.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:00 pm

Lots of tickets have codes on so the sales assistant knows what she's ringing up.
Ordinary sticky price tickets are very rare nowadays and probably only found in corner shops and charity shops.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:09 am

eddie wrote:Ben have you read nothing that I've put up about uber as company??????

Words fail me!!!!

Like Raggs said (I think) Uber had just been introduced to my area not long before I made this topic. I don't think my car would be accepted by them anyway, but I will say that my two experiences with Uber were positive ones.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:47 am

eddie wrote:Lots of tickets have codes on so the sales assistant knows what she's ringing up.
Ordinary sticky price tickets are very rare nowadays and probably only found in corner shops and charity shops.

Yeah, today it's all done electronically, so the actual product doesn't have a sticker or price anywhere on it unless it's meat and fish (which must have weight).  If you didn't look at the shelf sign you're a goner when you get to checkout.  That's part of the game they play on you.  Half the time the electronic price in the system is higher than on the shelf.  Most people don't pay attention, unlike when it was done manually and you could see on the spot.

But as I say, if you call them on it they jump outta their skins to fix it.  After all, if I complain to the FTC, it will cost them hundreds of times as much in attorneys fees...so they are motivated to fix it on the spot.  

Still, 99.9% of customers just don't look in this automated age, and that's what the retailers are counting on.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:20 am

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:Lots of tickets have codes on so the sales assistant knows what she's ringing up.

Yeah, today it's all done electronically, so the actual product doesn't have a sticker or price anywhere on it unless it's meat and fish (which must have weight).  If you didn't look at the shelf sign you're a goner when you get to checkout.  That's part of the game they play on you.  Half the time the electronic price in the system is higher than on the shelf.  Most people don't pay attention, unlike when it was done manually and you could see on the spot.

But as I say, if you call them on it they jump outta their skins to fix it.  After all, if I complain to the FTC, it will cost them hundreds of times as much in attorneys fees...so they are motivated to fix it on the spot.  

Still, 99.9% of customers just don't look in this automated age, and that's what the retailers are counting on.

I'm sure a cashier is really concerned about that. Rolling Eyes

They probably just want you out of the shop Quill Laughing

It must be different in the US if people go to court over a price ticket.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:37 pm

The cashier is motivated to care about that because of his or her spot in the store's chain of command. If the store gets a big fine because the cashier refused to sell something at the advertised price, gets who loses their job? The cashier and possibly the cashier's immediate supervisor.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:41 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I'm sure a cashier is really concerned about that.  Rolling Eyes

They probably just want you out of the shop Quill  Laughing

Actually, if you want to go back after finding the error, you go to the manager's desk.  Tho' it's fun watching the cashier's nervous looks as you walk up to the desk studying the receipt she just gave you.  

Occasionally, I can catch them as they are ringing up, and if they know me they will change it.  But as I say you only have the proof when the receipt organizes and formats the data.

I'm sure by now they are aware that I'm one that watches them like a hawk.  They know I'm a lawyer, cause it's kinda a neighborhood shopping mall.  Yes, I have no doubt they would like me gone...but it ain't gonna happen.  

The Federal Trade Commission can go to court on a big case, but most often they don't.  They have the power to issue findings and fines on the spot.  Mostly, big chains would like to get off the FTC's list of offenders, as it adversely affects their credit standing.  But alas, the retail game today is to attempt to deceive the customer, as I say, and that makes for complaints.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:56 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:The cashier is motivated to care about that because of his or her spot in the store's chain of command. If the store gets a big fine because the cashier refused to sell something at the advertised price, gets who loses their job? The cashier and possibly the cashier's immediate supervisor.

That wouldn't happen here. It's not the cashier's responsibility to make sure the prices are right, and nobody would lose their job by selling something at the price which comes up when it's scanned.

Maybe you have different laws in the US.

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:59 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I'm sure a cashier is really concerned about that.  Rolling Eyes

They probably just want you out of the shop Quill  Laughing

Actually, if you want to go back after finding the error, you go to the manager's desk.  Tho' it's fun watching the cashier's nervous looks as you walk up to the desk studying the receipt she just gave you.  

Occasionally, I can catch them as they are ringing up, and if they know me they will change it.  But as I say you only have the proof when the receipt organizes and formats the data.

I'm sure by now they are aware that I'm one that watches them like a hawk.  They know I'm a lawyer, cause it's kinda a neighborhood shopping mall.  Yes, I have no doubt they would like me gone...but it ain't gonna happen.  

The Federal Trade Commission can go to court on a big case, but most often they don't.  They have the power to issue findings and fines on the spot.  Mostly, big chains would like to get off the FTC's list of offenders, as it adversely affects their credit standing.  But alas, the retail game today is to attempt to deceive the customer, as I say, and that makes for complaints.

The cashier probably thinks they gave you the wrong change or something. Why would you want to upset a cashier by making them nervous? They're just doing their job.

How would the cashier know what the price on the shelf says? I think you're trying to intimidate them, and that's not on.

People like you should be banned from shops. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:03 pm

The price on the shelf can be wrong for several reasons:

The price might have gone up, and nobody had a chance to alter the price ticket yet.

A member of staff might have moved products around to fit others in, and forgotten to move the price tickets, or been distracted by a customer asking a question or something.

A customer might pick up an item and put it down randomly on another shelf. Then another customer comes along, picks up the item, sees the wrong ticket underneath the item but only notices the price.

A customer might even move a price ticket deliberately - I would think that's rare, but it has been known.

Such issues can be avoided in pound shops of course.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:11 pm

Excuses, Raggs.  Excuses.  

The store is responsible for the whole array of goods, and that includes the shelves as well as the automated system.  They all know the system is rigged; they are just trying to see what they can get away.  They should do a better job if they don't want to be hauled up before the Commission.  The burden is on them.

Again, the anomalies in price are the store's responsibility.  The burden is on them.

Indeed, some of the cashiers have become friends of mine (they don't like the store's practices either) and they will catch the errors and fix them on the spot.  But otherwise, you have to wait until you see the mistake on the receipt before you take it to the manager's desk.

I have no sympathy for them, Raggs.  They are making the money; let them serve the public properly.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:16 pm

Original Quill wrote:Excuses, Raggs.  Excuses.  

The store is responsible for the whole array of goods, and that includes the shelves as well as the automated system.  They all know the system is rigged; they are just trying to see what they can get away.  They should do a better job if they don't want to be hauled up before the Commission.  The burden is on them.

Again, the anomalies in price are the store's responsibility.  The burden is on them.

Indeed, some of the cashiers have become friends of mine (they don't like the store's practices either) and they will catch the errors and fix them on the spot.  But otherwise, you have to wait until you see the mistake on the receipt before you take it to the manager's desk.

I have no sympathy for them, Raggs.  They are making the money; let them serve the public properly.

It's not excuses, it's reality.

You want something that shops have, so don't pretend that you're better than retail staff.

If you find that you've been charged more than the price ticket says, just say so politely without all the "hah! I just caught you out" crap. Oh, and don't forget to report it when you've been charged less than the price ticket says. Cool
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:20 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Excuses, Raggs.  Excuses.  

You want something that shops have, so don't pretend that you're better than retail staff.

If you find that you've been charged more than the price ticket says, just say so politely without all the "hah! I just caught you out" crap. Oh, and don't forget to report it when you've been charged less than the price ticket says. Cool

You are writing scripts now. I'm always polite. I'm a trained professional...lol. I just don't give in. There's a difference between persistence and incivility.

As I say, I've got no sympathy for the guy who want's my money and used deceit to get it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:24 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You are writing scripts now.  I'm always polite.  I'm a trained professional...lol.  I just don't give in.  There's a difference between persistence and incivility.

As I say, I've got no sympathy for the guy who want's my money and used deceit to get it.

I'm stating the reality. You don't want to be that guy who every shop assistant dreads do you?

Laughing

Last edited by Raggamuffin on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next