NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uber may have screwed itself by using self-driving SUVs

+2
veya_victaous
Ben Reilly
6 posters

Go down

Uber may have screwed itself by using self-driving SUVs Empty Uber may have screwed itself by using self-driving SUVs

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:58 am

THERE’S A BIG—LITERALLY—REASON the Uber robo-cars zipping around Pittsburgh aren’t Smart Cars. The Volvo XC90 luxury SUVs making their groundbreaking foray into the future of transportation offer plenty of space for passengers, engineers, and, of course, tons of computer equipment and other gear.

But by choosing SUVs, Uber may have driven itself out of a loophole that allows taxi companies to avoid costly American with Disabilities Act requirements—a shift that could require the company to make its self-driving cars wheelchair accessible, adding thousands of dollars to the cost of every autonomous vehicle it puts on the road.

In the past, Uber has argued that it is an app, not a transportation service, which exempts it from ADA rules governing taxis. But going driverless hobbles that argument, says Bryan Casey, an independent researcher and student at Stanford Law School who makes his case in Stanford Law Review. “If [Uber] deploys autonomous vehicles that provide a taxi service without any independent contractor drivers,” Casey says, “that defense of, ‘We’re just a platform,’ becomes even more tenuous.”

As the hazy regulations stand, it’s unclear whether self-driving cars subject Uber to accessibility laws. But the company has a unique chance to use the law to its advantage, delivering on the promise of autonomous cars while providing unprecedented transportation opportunities to the 31 million Americans with mobility-related disabilities.

In the years since Congress passed the Americans with Disabilities Act in 1990, taxi companies have used the letter of the law to avoid making their vans, minivans, and SUVs wheelchair accessible. (This is not heartlessness: Adding a ramp or lift to a taxi can cost more than $10,000.) The ADA exempts cab companies from accessibility requirements unless they use “new van[s] with a seating capacity of less than eight passengers, including the driver.” And so these folks buy used vans. Voila, they’re legal.

Ah. But Uber most definitely is buying new Volvo SUVs for most of its autonomous services. (The company also has a small number of Ford Fusion Hybrid sedans.) Thus: What is a “van”?

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/uber-may-just-driven-big-loophole/
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Uber may have screwed itself by using self-driving SUVs Empty Re: Uber may have screwed itself by using self-driving SUVs

Post by veya_victaous Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:50 am

good
Uber is just a bunch of dicks trying to get out of the established controls and and safety measures that gives the consumer a Safe and reliable taxi service.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Uber may have screwed itself by using self-driving SUVs Empty Re: Uber may have screwed itself by using self-driving SUVs

Post by eddie Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:30 pm

veya_victaous wrote:good
Uber is just a bunch of dicks trying to get out of the established controls and and safety measures that gives the consumer a Safe and reliable taxi service.

alien nail on the head
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:42 pm

My OH has been retired 4 years now and competing with uber cars wasn't  a problem in this city when he worked....private hire was the main bone of contention back then.

Why are Uber cabs so unpopular, are the drivers not police checked, do the cars not have to reach the same standard...what safety aspect do they avoid?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:55 pm

The list is endless Syl. It's the fact they're not regulated to the same degree as PH cars and in London, they are picking trade up from the streets (breaking the law), they drive down one-way streets the wrong way, they have an awful rep for stealing and assaulting people (you only need to google and you'll see loads!).

The playing field with uber and other PH vehicles and black taxis is not a level one, hence the demos all over the world.

Uber are taking a backhander and making themselves very rich. The uber drivers though, are treated like shit and their tweets will often say they've been driving for over 24 hours per shift.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:02 pm

eddie wrote:The list is endless Syl. It's the fact they're not regulated to the same degree as PH cars and in London, they are picking trade up from the streets (breaking the law), they drive down one-way streets the wrong way, they have an awful rep for stealing and assaulting people (you only need to google and you'll see loads!).

The playing field with uber and other PH vehicles and black taxis is not a level one, hence the demos all over the world.

Uber are taking a backhander and making themselves very rich. The uber drivers though, are treated like shit and their tweets will often say they've been driving for over 24 hours per shift.

Thanks Eddie, I know there must be a reason they are so unpopular.
Don't they do a knowledge like hackney cab drivers, and it sounds like they are not properly CRB checked if they are employing thugs.
We had a huge problem here with private hire picking up on the streets at one time....thankfully it's all in the past for us now.
Taxi owning and driving isn't the same as it was a few years ago.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:10 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:The list is endless Syl. It's the fact they're not regulated to the same degree as PH cars and in London, they are picking trade up from the streets (breaking the law), they drive down one-way streets the wrong way, they have an awful rep for stealing and assaulting people (you only need to google and you'll see loads!).

Don't they do a knowledge like hackney cab drivers, and it  sounds like they are not properly CRB checked if they are employing thugs.
We had a huge problem here with private hire picking up on the streets at one time....thankfully it's all in the past for us now.

No knowledge - they use sat navy and in London, sat navy are not the best tool to get around. No CRB checks and it shows been known for one or more drivers to use the same car.
People have been ripped off consistently via the credit card machines too. It's all been in the news.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:16 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Don't they do a knowledge like hackney cab drivers, and it  sounds like they are not properly CRB checked if they are employing thugs.

No knowledge - they use sat navy and in London, sat navy are not the best tool to get around. No CRB checks and it shows been known for one or more drivers to use the same car.
People have been ripped off consistently via the credit card machines too. It's all been in the news.

I feel for the drivers who have invested their money in buying cabs and plates then.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:24 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

I feel for the drivers who have invested their money in buying cabs and plates then.

The government let them down badly.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:37 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

I think local governments let hackney cab drivers down for years. Many bought their cabs and plates and really struggled to do so, then local councils decided to bring out free plates for selected applicants. Some were new drivers some sold them within a few months and made a hefty profit......I think it was a case of it's not what you know it's who you know.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:40 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

I think local governments let hackney cab drivers down for years. Many bought their cabs and plates and really struggled to do so, then local councils decided to bring out free plates for selected applicants. Some were new drivers some sold them within a few months and made a hefty profit......I think it was a case of it's not what you know it's who you know.

Exactly that. I have a feeling that they want London taxi drivers phased out.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:46 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Exactly that. I have a feeling that they want London taxi drivers phased out.

Same in Manchester I think, though the council earn a lot of money from them. My OH worked the airport, that's part council owned and the black cabs have to pay for permits etc annually.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:51 pm

I think London cabbies got greedy TBH and the government couldn't regulate their taxes as all jobs were cash....so they only paid the tax on what they could get away with.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:53 pm

eddie wrote:I think London cabbies got greedy TBH and the government couldn't regulate their taxes as all jobs were cash....so they only paid the tax on what they could get away with.

My OH had an accountant to do all that Eddie....he was very helpful. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:55 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:I think London cabbies got greedy TBH and the government couldn't regulate their taxes as all jobs were cash....so they only paid the tax on what they could get away with.

My OH had an accountant to do all that Eddie....he was very helpful. Razz

Worth their weight in gold Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Uber has been dishonest from the get go. They say they're a ride sharing app, implying their drivers are just picking up extra passengers on their regular daily commutes or shopping trips, etc. Obviously most of them are driving full time.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:45 pm

Can't understand why you would want a self- driving car. One of the joys of driving is gear changing at the right time and being in control of YOUR car.

I drive an automatic by the way Embarassed
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:49 pm

nicko wrote:Can't understand why you would want a self- driving car.   One of the joys of driving is gear changing at the right time and being in control of YOUR car.

I would like a self driving car just because then it is like the train
and I can just sit and read etc rather than concentrate on driving study
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:10 pm

Bet you would not read for long, there'd be an overwhelming feeling to look up to see where your going. I don't think i'd like it.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:54 pm

I think the Car seat configuration needs to change for it to really work.
I'm thinking Paired inward facing seats with a a table/bench inbetween, Like the old fashioned train carriages.  or alternatively like a Dinner booth seat, a lot you could change it to.

I think it would be weird sitting in a drivers seat and not driving
I'd also prefer it fully automated rather than just a partial automation. (like some new cars already have for parking etc)
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:57 pm

nicko wrote:Can't understand why you would want a self- driving car.   One of the joys of driving is gear changing at the right time and being in control of YOUR car.

Me too. I'll do without the joys of gear changing. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down