NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ebola deaths in Liberia -- no mourners, funerals or last good-byes

4 posters

Go down

Ebola deaths in Liberia -- no mourners, funerals or last good-byes Empty Ebola deaths in Liberia -- no mourners, funerals or last good-byes

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:00 pm

Zango Town, Liberia (CNN) -- At the gravesite in a northern Liberia village, there are no religious or traditional burial rites. No ceremony, no mourning, no family members, and no final goodbyes.

Nothing but a group of men dressed in space-suit-like outfits, cautiously throwing the dead body into the grave, they pause only to toss in anything else they are wearing that came into contact with the deceased.

These men are part of the country's Ebola response team, specifically tasked with burying anyone suspected to have died of the Ebola virus.

The virus is spread through contact with the blood and body fluids of people infected with Ebola, and it is still transferable even from a dead body.

To help combat the spread of the disease, the Liberian government has directed that its citizens should not bury anyone who dies of, or is suspected of having been infected with, Ebola.

For months Liberians ignored the directive, fearing that they would be ostracized by their communities if they admitted that their relatives had died of Ebola, but here in Lofa County -- ground zero of the country's outbreak -- almost everyone has witnessed the devastating suffering and numerous deaths caused by the virus.

Now almost anytime there is a suspected Ebola death in the community, they call in the Ebola response team to come and bury the body safely.

"When it started, it wasn't that easy," says Alpha Tamba, an Ebola response coordinator in Lofa County. "It was kind of difficult for communities to disclose death. People preferred driving us away."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/01/world/africa/ebola-ghost-town/index.html?hpt=wo_r1
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Ebola deaths in Liberia -- no mourners, funerals or last good-byes Empty Re: Ebola deaths in Liberia -- no mourners, funerals or last good-byes

Post by Guest Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:20 am

How awful for the families left behind.  The video at the link is heartbreaking Sad

Back to top Go down

Ebola deaths in Liberia -- no mourners, funerals or last good-byes Empty Re: Ebola deaths in Liberia -- no mourners, funerals or last good-byes

Post by Guest Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:29 pm

feelthelove wrote:How awful for the families left behind.  The video at the link is heartbreaking Sad
I will give it a miss, so very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:30 pm

Kind of brings home the extent of the tragedy to learn this, huh?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:15 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Kind of brings home the extent of the tragedy to learn this, huh?

It does, sometimes it's hard to visualise the suffering of not only the victim but their loved ones too.  The pain of not being able to say a proper goodbye Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded fox Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:07 am

I am wondering why they don't burn the bodies though. I would think incineration would be safer than burying.
jaded fox
jaded fox
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:56 pm

jaded fox wrote:I am wondering why they don't burn the bodies though. I would think incineration would be safer than burying.

Good point Jaded Fox, I wonder if there are religious reasons? Ebola deaths in Liberia -- no mourners, funerals or last good-byes Smiley73

If those infected remain a risk after death it would make sense to cremate the bodies Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:33 pm

What a sad way to end your life.
It's horrible.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:07 am

feelthelove wrote:
jaded fox wrote:I am wondering why they don't burn the bodies though. I would think incineration would be safer than burying.

Good point Jaded Fox, I wonder if there are religious reasons? Ebola deaths in Liberia -- no mourners, funerals or last good-byes Smiley73

If those infected remain a risk after death it would make sense to cremate the bodies Sad

Might just be a step too far for the public to accept, I think. I don't know how people feel over there -- to me, it would make sense to burn the bodies, but maybe that's just a little too much for them to take?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by jaded fox Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:29 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Might just be a step too far for the public to accept, I think. I don't know how people feel over there -- to me, it would make sense to burn the bodies, but maybe that's just a little too much for them to take?

I'm used to having bodies cremated so I don't see it as a problem. I guess there might be a bit of cultural blindness from me. Maybe because burying is the norm they would feel the deceased is even more stigmatized by cremation.
jaded fox
jaded fox
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by jaded fox Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:01 am

Lone Wolf wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

What a Face

COULD also be a matter of economics...

MUST remember how poor a lot of those countries are ~ if they were to aim for cremation for health reasons, then an outside body, such as the WHO, or maybe the African Congress, or a conglomerate of charities and rich countries will probably have to supply those crematoriums ?   scratch

I was thinking more of big bonfires.
jaded fox
jaded fox
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by jaded fox Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:38 am

Lone Wolf wrote:
jaded fox wrote:

pale

MAYBE the authorities considered that to be too confronting for the families and local communities ???

Probably. But like I said I'm used to cremation and I know that it's part of funeral customs in certain parts of the world. But it does seem that burials are the norm and I do admit that bon fires would be upsetting.
jaded fox
jaded fox
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:17 pm

jaded fox wrote:
Lone Wolf wrote:
What a Face

COULD also be a matter of economics...

MUST remember how poor a lot of those countries are ~ if they were to aim for cremation for health reasons, then an outside body, such as the WHO, or maybe the African Congress, or a conglomerate of charities and rich countries will probably have to supply those crematoriums ?   scratch

It's an awful thought but I'm with you on this one and I know how upsetting that would be.  However in a situation this serious I am sure the dead would rather see the living protected.

I remember the cattle disposed of this way during the mad cow epidemic, very distressing Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down