NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adios Aibo: Robot Dog Funerals

2 posters

Go down

Adios Aibo: Robot Dog Funerals  Empty Adios Aibo: Robot Dog Funerals

Post by veya_victaous Tue May 08, 2018 7:37 am

Laying to rest a much-loved family pet usually requires little more than a shovel, a plot in the back garden and some well-chosen words. But what happens when the “pet” in question is a robot?

In Japan, the demise of irreparable Aibo robotic dogs is marked in much the same way as that of humans, with a solemn ceremony at a Buddhist temple.

At a memorial for 114 “deceased” members of Sony’s old generation of Aibo, incense wafted through the air as priests in traditional robes chanted sutras and prayed for the repose of their souls.
Each dog wore a tag showing where they had come from and the names of their grieving owners.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/offbeat/japan-robot-dogs-get-solemn-buddhist-send-off-at-funerals/ar-AAwGqax?ocid=ientp

In January, Sony brought Aibo back from the dead, releasing an upgraded version that uses AI and internet connectivity to interact with its owner and surroundings. But the consumer electronics giant has resisted pressure from owners of the original Aibo to resume repairs of old models.

Instead, owners of defunct robotic dogs can send them to A Fun, a company that repairs vintage products, which passes them on to Kofukuji. After the service – which does not involve burial or cremation – the firm removes parts that can be used to fix less seriously damaged models.

Many of the dogs are accompanied by notes written by their former owners. “I feel relieved to know there will be a prayer for my Aibo,” one said. Another wrote: “Please help other Aibos. My eyes filled with tears when I decided to say goodbye.”

Bungen Oi, one of the temple’s priests, said he did not see anything wrong with giving four-legged friends, albeit of the robotic variety, a proper send-off . “All things have a bit of soul,” he said.

Adios Aibo: Robot Dog Funerals  AAwFNKb
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Adios Aibo: Robot Dog Funerals  Empty Re: Adios Aibo: Robot Dog Funerals

Post by veya_victaous Tue May 08, 2018 7:40 am

I think this is very interesting.

from the notes left you can tell these people cared for their robot dogs like it was a real pet dog

Plus another reason I prefer Buddhism to other organised religions
“All things have a bit of soul,”
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Tue May 08, 2018 1:29 pm

flower

Even easier with a "pet rock", when it's time has come...

Just plant it out in the garden, with a few flowers for company..

('Zen and the Art of Reborn Pet Rocks and Albo_Dogs').
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down