NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Qatar refuses to let Nepalese workers return to attend funerals after quake

3 posters

Go down

Qatar refuses to let Nepalese workers return to attend funerals after quake  Empty Qatar refuses to let Nepalese workers return to attend funerals after quake

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 12:23 am

Nepalese minister says Fifa must pressure the Gulf state for better treatment of 1.5 million south Asian migrants

Nepalese workers building stadiums for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar have been denied leave to attend funerals or visit relatives following the earthquakes in the Himalayan country that have killed more than 8,000 people, its government has revealed.

The government in Kathmandu has also for the first time publicly criticised Fifa, world football’s governing body, and its commercial partners. It insists that they must put more pressure on Qatar to improve conditions for the 1.5 million migrants employed in the Gulf state as part of the World Cup construction boom.

About 400,000 of the workers on the project are from Nepal, with the rest mainly from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.

Tek Bahadur Gurung, Nepal’s labour minister, said: “After the earthquake of 25 April, we requested all companies in Qatar to give their Nepalese workers special leave and pay for their air fare home. While workers in some sectors of the economy have been given this, those on World Cup construction sites are not being allowed to leave because of the pressure to complete projects on time.

“They have lost relatives and their homes and are enduring very difficult conditions in Qatar. This is adding to their suffering.”

Gurung said Nepal’s government had been attempting, without success, to contact Fifa and its sponsors to ask them to be more robust with Qatar. “Nothing will change for migrant workers until Fifa and its rich sponsors insist on it. These are the people who are bringing the World Cup to Qatar. But we are a small, poor country and these powerful organisations are not interested in listening to us.”

South Asian countries have been reluctant to speak out about the controversy over migrant workers for fear of alienating Qatar.

Nepal has high unemployment and its government estimates that some $4bn is sent home every year by expatriates, most of them working in the Gulf. This accounts for about 20% of the country’s gross domestic product, and is money that will play a crucial role in helping to rebuild the country following the two recent earthquakes.

Gurung said: “We want to work with the Qatari government and bodies like Fifa because our people need the jobs and Nepal needs the money more than ever. Things are very difficult for the Nepalese and other workers in Qatar, but we have to help them and cannot stay silent any longer.”

Informal talks have taken place between the labour ministers of Nepal, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh with a view to establishing a more coordinated approach to improving conditions for workers in Qatar.

Their plight has once again been in the headlines. Last week it was reported that a BBC crew had been arrested and detained for two days while filming a report on the conditions of south Asian workers in the Gulf state.

Amnesty International published a report on Thursday saying that Qatar had failed to deliver on a range of promises to improve conditions and introduce new legislation covering migrant workers. This included abolishing the kafala system – which ties workers to their employers for a set period, during which they cannot change jobs without permission.

Migrant workers also often have their passports confiscated, may go for several months without pay, and have limited insurance against accidents.

“Without prompt action, the pledges Qatar made last year are at serious risk of being dismissed as a mere PR stunt to ensure the Gulf state can cling on to the 2022 World Cup,” said the Amnesty report, which also raised the issue of Nepalese workers being denied leave to return home after the earthquake.

Qatar’s supreme committee for delivery and legacy, the body overseeing World Cup projects, said that more than 500 Nepalese workers on World Cup projects had been given leave to return temporarily.

Gurung said: “There are far more than 500 Nepalese working on different World Cup construction sites, I can assure you. We have even offered to pay the air fare home for all our people building stadiums and involved in other projects, where companies are not willing, but not even this has made a difference. Our embassy in Doha has been inundated with requests for help from World Cup workers who are not allowed to leave.”

The minister said he was due to visit Qatar next month to hold discussions with his counterpart and meet Nepalese workers so he could see for himself the conditions they faced.

Qatar’s labour minister, Abdullah bin Saleh al-Khulaifi, visited Kathmandu last month and promised to introduce a series of changes. He also revealed that his nation would need even more Nepalese workers as it strives to complete World Cup stadiums and infrastructure projects in time for 2022.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/24/qatar-denies-nepalese-world-cup-workers-leave-after-earthquakes

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Words fail me.

Back to top Go down

Qatar refuses to let Nepalese workers return to attend funerals after quake  Empty Re: Qatar refuses to let Nepalese workers return to attend funerals after quake

Post by Raggamuffin Sun May 24, 2015 1:21 am

It's just so hard to get time off work these days.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Qatar refuses to let Nepalese workers return to attend funerals after quake  Empty Re: Qatar refuses to let Nepalese workers return to attend funerals after quake

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 1:23 am

Qatar refuses to let Nepalese workers return to attend funerals after quake  269408d1420453904-smiley-day-depositphotos_10118071-yawning-smiley

Nice try at a wind up but no prize. Good cover for the fact you probably actually think that though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun May 24, 2015 1:25 am

I do think it's hard to get time off work these days.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 1:28 am

Well, if you actually mean that post, calling you dense is being extremely kind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun May 24, 2015 1:32 am

risingsun wrote:Well, if you actually mean that post, calling you dense is being extremely kind.

If you're so clever, maybe you could actually describe a situation in your own words instead of copying and pasting huge amounts of stuff that someone else has written, and then adding on a bland comment at the end.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 1:35 am

What's the point of that? The whole point is to talk about facts. Facts that have been reported on and can be verified. Discussion then follows.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun May 24, 2015 1:36 am

risingsun wrote:What's the point of that?  The whole point is to talk about facts.  Facts that have been reported on and can be verified.  Discussion then follows.  

The point is that it might actually be more interesting than walls of text.

Perhaps you're just too "dense" to write your own stuff.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 24, 2015 1:41 am

I write every days Rags, reams of it. Perhaps you don't understand how a forum works and what it is here for. It is here to discuss NEWS. In order to discuss the news, the news article has to be put up for discussion. Now I can't help it if you have an attention deficiency and can't read more than a few words at a time. I read exceptionally fast and can read a book in a day, and often do. The news items I put up rarely take me more than a couple of minutes to read and ingest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun May 24, 2015 7:50 am

risingsun wrote:I write every days Rags, reams of it.  Perhaps you don't understand how a forum works and what it is here for.  It is here to discuss NEWS.  In order to discuss the news, the news article has to be put up for discussion.   Now I can't help it if you have an attention deficiency and can't read more than a few words at a time.  I read exceptionally fast and can read a book in a day, and often do.  The news items I put up rarely take me more than a couple of minutes to read and ingest.

No wonder so many of your threads sink to the bottom.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun May 24, 2015 8:38 am

Well, I for one think it's horrible not to grant someone leave when a family member has died. I remember when my dad passed away, my boss at the time -- who I truly still hate to this day -- was at least decent enough to tell me, don't worry about work until you're ready to come back. One of the few shreds of decency that woman ever showed, in my book.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun May 24, 2015 10:35 am

I think it should be against the law to not allow an employee to leave for a funeral! How low does someone have to be to deny saying goodbye to a loved one?
Words fail me.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down