NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I worry about how dumb people are today.

+8
David
Cass
Original Quill
Lone Wolf
Stephenmarra
Raggamuffin
eddie
Irn Bru
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. Empty I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 8:45 am

I was listening to the Editor of Cosmopolitan on Sky this morning about a survey they did on who women would vote for; they showed pictures of politicians and celebrities.  It seems most went for Barak Obama (didn't one think he was the Prime Minister once?), and some voted for Joey from some Essex programme.

But what worried me more was that the commentator used the word hyperbole in the interview, but she pronounced it "hyper-bowl" - and she's the Editor of a famous magazine!  How many more people in powerful positions appear professional but are actually dumb-asses and got their jobs on their looks and/or personalities alone?  What's happened to our values nowadays?

Finally, listening to some quiz shows, I actually feel shocked when simple questions that would have been answered by primary school kids years ago are met with dumb confusion, and answered with embarrassing stupidity by adults.  What a downward spiral society's travelling on.

Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 8:48 am

How well do you know Latin Tess?

Back to top Go down

I worry about how dumb people are today. Empty Re: I worry about how dumb people are today.

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 9:21 am

Didge wrote:How well do you know Latin Tess?

Probably better than you know English.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 9:21 am

Tesstacious wrote:
Didge wrote:How well do you know Latin Tess?

Probably better than you know English.

Try again, how well do you know Latin?

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon May 19, 2014 9:28 am

Sure are some numpties around right enough. Raith Rovers won the Scottish Cup several years ago and the news reader said 'They'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight' Laughing

Another one from the 60s was reading out the football results for a Wednesday evening and when he came to the result for Celtic v Hearts he said

'I won't tell you the result as we will be showing edited highlights in just a few minutes but I can tell you that Dixie Deans notched a hat-trick in a 5 goal thriller'

Dixie Deans was the Celtic centre forward Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 9:29 am

Tesstacious wrote:I was listening to the Editor of Cosmopolitan on Sky this morning about a survey they did on who women would vote for; they showed pictures of politicians and celebrities.  It seems most went for Barak Obama (didn't one think he was the Prime Minister once?), and some voted for Joey from some Essex programme.

But what worried me more was that the commentator used the word hyperbole in the interview, but she pronounced it "hyper-bowl" - and she's the Editor of a famous magazine!  How many more people in powerful positions appear professional but are actually dumb-asses and got their jobs on their looks and/or personalities alone?  What's happened to our values nowadays?

Finally, listening to some quiz shows, I actually feel shocked when simple questions that would have been answered by primary school kids years ago are met with dumb confusion, and answered with embarrassing stupidity by adults.  What a downward spiral society's travelling on.

Don't you go on that conspiracy theory American website?

They are all nutters on there!  Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 9:36 am

Tesstacious wrote:I was listening to the Editor of Cosmopolitan on Sky this morning about a survey they did on who women would vote for; they showed pictures of politicians and celebrities.  It seems most went for Barak Obama (didn't one think he was the Prime Minister once?), and some voted for Joey from some Essex programme.

Get what you are saying Tess, and everyone should know how to pronounce hy-per-bol-e, but the adults that can't answer questions, very often they are questions about the 60s and 70s, and some of them weren't born until the 80s, so I give them a bit of leeway on that lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 9:43 am

Sassy wrote:

Get what you are saying Tess, and everyone should know how to pronounce hy-per-bol-e, but the adults that can't answer questions, very often they are questions about the 60s and 70s, and some of them weren't born until the 80s, so I give them a bit of leeway on that lol.
Morning Sassy. Agreed about younger ones, but some of the quiz contestants I mentioned were in their 40s and older. Anyway, one thing I remember that made me laugh - I was at an office do at a restaurant and one of the girls looked at the menu and asked "what are cruddites?" (Crudités)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 9:46 am

Tesstacious wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Morning Sassy. Agreed about younger ones, but some of the quiz contestants I mentioned were in their 40s and older. Anyway, one thing I remember that made me laugh - I was at an office do at a restaurant and one of the girls looked at the menu and asked "what are cruddites?"   (Crudités)

Lol. Occasionally watch that programme where people compete by having other people round for dinner. The funniest bit is when they are reading the menus to themselves and haven't got a clue what perfectly normal food is!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 9:54 am

Sassy wrote:
Tesstacious wrote:
Morning Sassy. Agreed about younger ones, but some of the quiz contestants I mentioned were in their 40s and older. Anyway, one thing I remember that made me laugh - I was at an office do at a restaurant and one of the girls looked at the menu and asked "what are cruddites?"   (Crudités)

Lol.   Occasionally watch that programme where people compete by having other people round for dinner.   The funniest bit is when they are reading the menus to themselves and haven't got a clue what perfectly normal food is!

D'you know, we laugh, but is there something more sinister behind it all? Judging by recent statistics that show that the gap between rich and poor has grown substantially recently, add this with the dumbing down of the education system, and what do you end up with? A rich and powerful elite and the uneducated masses who can be exploited and treated more or less like serfs - a gradual return to the old feudal system.

But that's just me - as Catfish said, a conspiracy nut.  Cool 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 10:10 am

Tesstacious wrote:
Sassy wrote:

Lol.   Occasionally watch that programme where people compete by having other people round for dinner.   The funniest bit is when they are reading the menus to themselves and haven't got a clue what perfectly normal food is!

D'you know, we laugh, but is there something more sinister behind it all?  Judging by recent statistics that show that the gap between rich and poor has grown substantially recently, add this with the dumbing down of the education system, and what do you end up with?  A rich and powerful elite and the uneducated masses who can be exploited and treated more or less like serfs - a gradual return to the old feudal system.  

But that's just me - as Catfish said, a conspiracy nut.   Cool 

Who knows Tess, I certainly hope not!   Don't think that I agree education system has been dumbed down, it's moved on and teaches different things to what we were taught, but that's normal.

Anyway, sun is shining, off to enjoy it.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon May 19, 2014 10:49 am

I'm still wondering why Tess needs to know Latin!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 11:00 am

eddie wrote:I'm still wondering why Tess needs to know Latin!

I've got him on ignore, but made one reply, so he's latched on.  Not taking the bait though, he'll have to find another (female) poster to pick on!  Probably you...   Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon May 19, 2014 11:06 am

Tesstacious wrote:
eddie wrote:I'm still wondering why Tess needs to know Latin!

I've got him on ignore, but made one reply, so he's latched on.  Not taking the bait though, he'll have to find another (female) poster to pick on!  Probably you...   Smile

Tess I think I understand why he is, the way he is:
He is actually just one of life's close-minded people who cannot ever think outside the box and is also scared to think differently.
He's actually pig ignorant.
He desperately tries too hard to show how intelligent he is and I find that sad actually.

To always want to win an online debate??? To keep going on and desperately trying to make people change their minds??
There's something very arrogant about that.

I have always said I'd never put anyone on ignore but I am really wondering whether to change my stance on this. I rarely read his posts now even if they're to me! I get about third of the way and I honestly just tune out.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 11:34 am

Tesstacious wrote:
Sassy wrote:

D'you know, we laugh, but is there something more sinister behind it all?  Judging by recent statistics that show that the gap between rich and poor has grown substantially recently, add this with the dumbing down of the education system, and what do you end up with?  A rich and powerful elite and the uneducated masses who can be exploited and treated more or less like serfs - a gradual return to the old feudal system.  

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/newthreads.php

You go on that site don't you?

Let people make up their own minds then!

://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: ://?roflmao?/: 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 11:38 am

Philagain wrote:
Tesstacious wrote:

Don't know where you cherry-picked that forum from, probably the godsquad section. Here's today's main page, mainly about things like the current situation in Vietnam/China, the Ukraine, some new science discoveries...

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/pg1

Anyway Catskin, don't you know it's against the rules to bring up other forums - fuck knows you've whinged about it enough on another thread!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 11:44 am

Tesstacious wrote:
Philagain wrote:

Don't know where you cherry-picked that forum from, probably the godsquad section.  Here's today's main page, mainly about things like the current situation in Vietnam/China, the Ukraine, some new science discoveries...

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/pg1

Anyway Catskin, don't you know it's against the rules to bring up other forums - fuck knows you've whinged about it enough on another thread!

Not against the rules to mention other sites, AB was banned, because she mentioned other forums and spammed sections with the same message apparently.

If you look at Newfix rules, it does indeed say that you aren't allowed to mention other forums dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 11:45 am

Alright Phil..nice to see ya back chief Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 11:48 am

For UKIP dog..

As the name implies, NewsFix is a forum for the sharing and discussion of news.

It is not a place to carry out personal quarrels with other members, nor a place to discuss other forums, nor a place for posting hate speech against minority groups

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 11:51 am

Joy Division wrote:Alright Phil..nice to see ya back chief Wink

Yea thanks JD

Notice the name change  Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 11:56 am

Philagain wrote:
Joy Division wrote:Alright Phil..nice to see ya back chief Wink

Yea thanks JD

Notice the name change  Razz 

..well I never!!, I thought you had just arrived! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 19, 2014 12:15 pm

Is there a way to switch off signatures here?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 12:17 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Is there a way to switch off signatures here?

Just fire into your control panel and go to preferences ..I think!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Joy Division wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Is there a way to switch off signatures here?

I can't find that option in there.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 19, 2014 12:29 pm

I'll just have to put him on ignore - his signature is ridiculously large.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 12:36 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Joy Division wrote:

Go into your profile - there's a section that says friends and foes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Mon May 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I'll just have to put him on ignore - his signature is ridiculously large.
After what he's posted to nicko in the music forum it shouldn't be a problem for much longer.
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 19, 2014 12:40 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Go into your profile - there's a section that says friends and foes.

I know how to put him on ignore. There should be an option to switch off sigs though.

Now I've lost the thingy which lets you go to the last post in the thread. Don't know how that happened.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 19, 2014 12:43 pm

I got it back - something to do with ad blocker.

And yes, Phil's comment was disgusting, but what will be done about it?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephenmarra Mon May 19, 2014 12:45 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I got it back - something to do with ad blocker.

And yes, Phil's comment was disgusting, but what will be done about it?

Probably nowt.  Rolling Eyes
Stephenmarra
Stephenmarra
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Original Quill Mon May 19, 2014 2:27 pm

Is this all you've got to worry about? Haven't you got a book to write? And industry to build? A child to raise? My god, woman: hyperbole and how it's pronounced?!

If this is your Peter Principle level, you could become someone's secretary.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Original Quill wrote:

Is this all you've got to worry about?  Haven't you got a book to write?  And industry to build?  A child to raise?  My god, woman: hyperbole and how it's pronounced?!

lol! 

That really made me chuckle Quill

Right the point about Latin for Tess

As to the point of Latin, because it was how Tess was portraying people, now knowing she went to Roman Catholic School and she herself knowing full well why I asked, made a complete copout answer, again using her excuse to have me on ignore. No doubt her Latin is very poor but would have been something using her logic that many people would know as if she should using her logic again if they had attended Roman Catholic Schools, as I know she did, hence I was going to change her words as follows:

Finally, listening to Tess, I actually feel shocked when simple questions on Latin that would have been answered by children who went to Roman Catholic Schools years ago are met with dumb confusion, and answered with embarrassing stupidity by adults. What a downward spiral society's travelling on.

It was as per usual Tess' condescending view of society that I took issue with, even more absurd, is the so call many patriots on this forum who know little of our British History, so is Tess including many of those in her view also and that they are a downward spiral that society is travelling on?

Of course not, so as per Usual, Eddie is holding a childish grudge barking up the wrong tree as per usual!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon May 19, 2014 2:43 pm

Zzzzzzzzzzz.... Burger Sleep 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 2:45 pm

eddie wrote:Zzzzzzzzzzz.... Burger Sleep 

Like I said, holding a childish grudge, shame really!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 3:10 pm

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:Zzzzzzzzzzz.... Burger Sleep 

You really are one sad individual Didge.

There is nothing childish or grudge holding about edds and you know it - maybe you are hoping if you make enough noise about people will be distracted from the one really holding the grudge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 3:16 pm

Original Quill wrote:

Is this all you've got to worry about?  Haven't you got a book to write?  And industry to build?  A child to raise?  My god, woman: hyperbole and how it's pronounced?!

Been there - done that. And no this isn't all I've got to worry about - as you can see from my serious threads about the state of the world, which get totally ignored. This forum isn't about serious concerns, so the threads about the annoying little things like people's lack of grammar/intelligence seem to get more notice, dontchathink?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 3:22 pm

sphinx wrote:
Didge wrote:

You really are one sad individual Didge.

There is nothing childish or grudge holding about edds and you know it - maybe you are hoping if you make enough noise about people will be distracted from the one really holding the grudge.

I am not the one making comments as she did to start with on this thread and thus you seek to excuse, no problem that is your opinion Sphinx and you are welcome to it a very poor excuse as seen.
As I did not start with derisive comments as Tess did about people and society to then have Eddie jump in and do the same about me, this though you seem to excuse.
That is holding a grudge, plain and simple, and you claim I am sad and you support a party that seels its policies by fear

Wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon May 19, 2014 3:29 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Been there - done that.  And no this isn't all I've got to worry about - as you can see from my serious threads about the state of the world, which get totally ignored.  This forum isn't about serious concerns, so the threads about the annoying little things like people's lack of grammar/intelligence seem to get more notice, dontchathink?

Well, first of all I wouldn't have commented in the first place if I didn't know you could do better than that.

Second, I felt the criticism is a little bit unfair. Judging people on how they pronounce syllables?? We all have our foibles. I constantly--unconsciously--write 'their' when I mean 'they're' or 'there' and I've got two doctorate degrees. I mean, c'mon...stick to your better side. You are good at social criticism.

Well, even my time is wasted commenting here.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Tesstacious wrote:
Been there - done that.  And no this isn't all I've got to worry about - as you can see from my serious threads about the state of the world, which get totally ignored.  This forum isn't about serious concerns, so the threads about the annoying little things like people's lack of grammar/intelligence seem to get more notice, dontchathink?

Well, first of all I wouldn't have commented in the first place if I didn't know you could do better than that.

Second, I felt the criticism is a little bit unfair.  Judging people on how they pronounce syllables??  We all have our foibles.  I constantly--unconsciously--write 'their' when I mean 'they're' or 'there' and I've got two doctorate degrees.  I mean, c'mon...stick to your better side.  You are good at social criticism.

Actually Quill, hidden in my scathing post there is serious social criticism, re the increase in the gap between rich and poor. I do seriously believe the very rich are getting more powerful and the masses are getting dumbed down, by the education system (though some don't agree) and by the Soma of the masses, i.e. X-box games, Facebook, Big Brother... It really is getting like Brave New World.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Second, I felt the criticism is a little bit unfair.  Judging people on how they pronounce syllables??  We all have our foibles.  I constantly--unconsciously--write 'their' when I mean 'they're' or 'there' and I've got two doctorate degrees.  I mean, c'mon...stick to your better side.  You are good at social criticism.

Actually Quill, hidden in my scathing post there is serious social criticism, re the increase in the gap between rich and poor.  I do seriously believe the very rich are getting more powerful and the masses are getting dumbed down, by the education system (though some don't agree) and by the Soma of the masses, i.e. X-box games, Facebook, Big Brother... It really is getting like Brave New World.

We have one of the best education system s in the world, it is also very mocking to people in general in society, who I imagine would take issue with your view points.
There is a problem between a rich and poor divide, that does not mean are in anyway less intelligent but who holds the monopoly on industries etc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 3:40 pm

Also I suppose I was sad standing up for you when you first joined Sphinx, because I do not like people picked on and have no issue with you, but you forget things very quickly it seems.

Hey ho, and I have no issue with Eddie, I see her different but does not mean I dislike her, if she makes poor comments about me on a forum, then I am entitled to respond to them

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon May 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Tesstacious wrote:
Original Quill wrote:
Actually Quill, hidden in my scathing post there is serious social criticism, re the increase in the gap between rich and poor. I do seriously believe the very rich are getting more powerful and the masses are getting dumbed down, by the education system (though some don't agree) and by the Soma of the masses, i.e. X-box games, Facebook, Big Brother... It really is getting like Brave New World.

I agree. There was another thread pertaining to social media making people more unsocial which I agree with also up to a point. In a way its all based in fantasy world lives (gaming, building virtual realities, Tv, even - dear god - books). I don't keep up with the Kardashians/Real Housewives/Mob wives/Celebrities who've Got No Talent or Voice and are Surviving in The Jungle Big Race or being the Biggest Big Brother Loser to be Castaway.

Brave New World Indeed. I think Mr. C and I along with others of our age bracket will be the last amongst the middle classes who could even hope or help to plan for early retirement. And even then it will only happen as long as a catastrophic event doesn't occur.

social media and reality Tv shows have their place - I am not a complete luddite - its all about balance. But I do think andy Warhol had both a pertinent point as well as a lit to answer for with his 15 minutes of fame sound bite.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 19, 2014 4:47 pm

If you've never encountered a word before, it's not really thick to not know how to pronounce it or to know what it means. One can only learn by experience really.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 4:56 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:If you've never encountered a word before, it's not really thick to not know how to pronounce it or to know what it means. One can only learn by experience really.

Tesses point was that the woman using it almost certainly should have encountered it before and definitely with the right pronunciation because of the position she holds and the presumed responsibilities and role of that position.

This was not mispronunciation by some junior trainee or newly arrived staff member but by a supposed head.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 4:59 pm

sphinx wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:If you've never encountered a word before, it's not really thick to not know how to pronounce it or to know what it means. One can only learn by experience really.

Tesses point was that the woman using it almost certainly should have encountered it before and definitely with the right pronunciation because of the position she holds and the presumed responsibilities and role of that position.

This was not mispronunciation by some junior trainee or newly arrived staff member but by a supposed head.

It was a pedantic point made about someone high up in a women's magazine, sounds more like roots of envy than anything else. Actually the point was ore about people in general as if they were dumb based upon years ago, when are education system is one of the best in the world. Lets face it you only know as much as you learn, what she may know others will know things more than she knows about, the same holds true for me, I have certain subjects I have knowledge in but not all.
It was condescending towards people and to be honest am not really concerned if someone does not pronounce a word correctly who is high up in a company, as there are far greater problems in the world than that!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 5:08 pm

This is the one I was trying to remember:

Gemma Worrall, 20, wrote: 'If barraco barner is our president, why is he getting involved with Russia, scary.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2575436/Dumb-Britain-Beautician-laughs-Twitter-storm-mistakenly-spelling-Barack-Obama-Barraco-Barner-sparks-inevitable-parody-accounts.html#ixzz32B6vdFA4

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon May 19, 2014 5:10 pm

http://www.news.com.au/national/julia-gillards-genuine-mispronunciation-turns-hyperbole-into-hyperbowl/story-e6frfkvr-1226035582372

::D:: 
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 5:12 pm

Didge wrote:
sphinx wrote:

Actually the point was ore about people in general as if they were dumb based upon years ago, when are education system is one of the best in the world. Lets face it you only know as much as you learn, what she may know others will know things more than she knows about, the same holds true for me, I have certain subjects I have knowledge in but not all.    

cyclops  I rest my case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 19, 2014 5:12 pm

And her gaff warranted this?

She was sent bullying messages, calling her 'stupid cow' and 'oxygen thief'.

As I say it was a huge egg on face error, but some of the responses were utterly poor also.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next