NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saved from sex attack by Pet Parrot

2 posters

Go down

Saved from sex attack by Pet Parrot Empty Saved from sex attack by Pet Parrot

Post by veya_victaous Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:33 am

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/pet-parrot-saves-owner-from-sex-attack/story-fnjwkt0b-1226881341307

WHEN Rachel Mancino was attacked in the park by a suspected sexual predator, it was the unlikeliest of heroes who came to her rescue.

Rather than a brave passer-by wrestling her assailant to the ground, it was Wunsy, her faithful African Grey parrot, who scared him off.

Wunsy was sitting on Miss Mancino’s shoulder on their daily walk, when the 25-year-old was grabbed around the neck and pushed to the ground in what police believe was an attempted sexual assault.

But faithful Wunsy immediately swooped on the man, slapping him in the face with her wings, while squawking angrily — quite an impressive reaction for a small bird weighing just 12oz.

The attacker, who had groped another woman just minutes earlier, ran away terrified — but not before looking over his shoulder to check Wunsy wasn’t in pursuit.

Yesterday, part-time violin teacher Miss Mancino paid tribute to her 10-month-old pet as police appealed for information about her attacker, who is suspected of at least one other indecent assault Sunny Hill Park in Hendon, north London.

Miss Mancino had gone on a walk to give Wunsy some exercise, letting her fly about while attached to her wrist with a cord.

She said: “I saw a man in my peripheral vision walking fast behind me. I didn’t think anything of it, but Wunsy changed direction on my shoulder to face him.

“I said, ‘Its OK Wunsy, don’t worry’, but then the man jumped on me, grabbed me around the neck and started pushing me down.

“I thought instinctively that he was trying to steal my parrot but then I realised he was targeting me.

“I lost my balance and Wunsy started flapping at him. Her wings were right in his face and she was squawking. He just ran off.”

Miss Mancino, who also has a parakeet and a dog, bought Wunsy eight months ago for £650 (A$1,160).
Saved from sex attack by Pet Parrot 341277-f89686fa-c10c-11e3-9a65-7ae3511942af
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Saved from sex attack by Pet Parrot Empty Re: Saved from sex attack by Pet Parrot

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:53 am

Worth every penny!

I've always thought parrots are so cool, but I wonder if this kind of protective behavior is seen often in them?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Saved from sex attack by Pet Parrot Empty Re: Saved from sex attack by Pet Parrot

Post by veya_victaous Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:12 am

@ben
I think so as they mate for life, they get very attached to owners

I know Cockatoos (that have life span of 80-100 years) will definitely get this way about their owners. and have been know to die of depression if the owner passes away.

Saved from sex attack by Pet Parrot Calyptorhynchus_latirostris_-Taronga_Zoo_%28female%29-8a

considering they weigh in at 2 pounds (the OP bird is only 12 ounces) and have beaks that crack macadamia nuts (which break nut cracker you need a hammer and anvil to open them, no joke) a little bit more likely to see them scare away and attacker
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down