NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tony Benn's coffin arrives at Westminster chapel for lying in rest

Go down

Tony Benn's coffin arrives at Westminster chapel for lying in rest Empty Tony Benn's coffin arrives at Westminster chapel for lying in rest

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:58 am

Tony Benn's coffin arrives at Westminster chapel for lying in rest
Family of former Labour minister attend private ceremony, with MPs and peers expected to pay respects before funeral

Tony Benn's coffin arrived in Westminster on Wednesday night as he made his final visit to parliament.

The former Labour cabinet minister's body lay in rest in parliament's Chapel of St Mary Undercroft as family members gathered round for a private ceremony to mark his death.

His children, Stephen, Hilary, Melissa and Joshua, were among about 30 close relatives who attended the service conducted by the Commons Speaker's chaplain, Rose Hudson-Wilkin, in the crypt chapel.

The chapel has been also been briefly opened up to MPs, peers and passholders to allow them to pay their respects before Thursday's funeral.

The leftwinger, who died aged 88 on 14 March, was afforded the honour in tribute to his "almost unique" record at Westminster.

First elected to parliament in 1950, Benn renounced a peerage to remain in the House of Commons and was an MP for more than 50 years, serving in the cabinets of Harold Wilson and James Callaghan and staging a bitterly divisive battle with Denis Healey for the Labour deputy leadership as the champion of the left in 1981.

He famously retired from parliament in 2001 saying he wanted to "spend more time on politics" and won new status as a national treasure, touring the country to speak to packed audiences in venues from town halls to West End theatres and the Glastonbury festival. Well into his 80s he was a familiar and popular figure at demonstrations and anti-war rallies.

Tributes poured in from across the political spectrum after his death was announced, with the Labour leader, Ed Miliband, describing the former figurehead of the Labour left as an "iconic figure" while the prime minister, David Cameron, said Benn ensured there was "never a dull moment", even for those who disagreed with every word he said.

Benn's funeral will take place opposite parliament at St Margaret's Church after his body is taken by hearse from the gates of New Palace Yard, with family members following on foot.

A memorial meeting will be held later in the year.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/mar/26/tony-benn-coffin-arrives-westminster-chapel

Wish I could get up to London for his funeral, even if it meant just standing in Parliament Square.

Back to top Go down

Tony Benn's coffin arrives at Westminster chapel for lying in rest Empty Re: Tony Benn's coffin arrives at Westminster chapel for lying in rest

Post by gerber Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:29 am

Been watching the news channels all morning  no mention, not a dicky bird.  Disgraceful.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Tony Benn's coffin arrives at Westminster chapel for lying in rest Empty Re: Tony Benn's coffin arrives at Westminster chapel for lying in rest

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:30 am

Why would it be on the news?

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:38 am

Maybe because he is only the second politician to be granted such an honour and more so because  he was such an icon and longstanding mp,
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:43 am

gerber wrote:Maybe because he is only the second politician to be granted such an honour and more so because  he was such an icon and longstanding mp,

I'm guessing because Margaret Thatcher was the first - every time one of this lot dies there will now be calls for a last visit to Westminster.

He wasn't an icon.

Yes, he was a longstanding MP, as many of them are - people tend to keep voting the same twerp in (not saying Benn was - he was an ok bloke).

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:47 am

BigAndy9 wrote:
gerber wrote:Maybe because he is only the second politician to be granted such an honour and more so because  he was such an icon and longstanding mp,

I'm guessing because Margaret Thatcher was the first - every time one of this lot dies there will now be calls for a last visit to Westminster.

He wasn't an icon.

Yes, he was a longstanding MP, as many of them are - people tend to keep voting the same twerp in (not saying Benn was - he was an ok bloke).

He along with Ted Heath are the only two ever to have been given Freedom of the House hence his final night .
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:47 am

I don't want to appear insensitive, fortunately everyone here knows me as a warm, caring and loving person, has this country got money to burn, how much does all this pomp and ceremony cost, when mere mortals some times scrape up money to see loved ones have a decent burial..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:49 am

gerber wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

He wasn't an icon.

He along with Ted Heath are the only two ever to have been given Freedom of the House hence his final night .

I'm very happy for him and the other MPs.

Not sure why you would expect it to be headline news though.

As for money God, I wouldn't have thought this costs too much.

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:52 am

BigAndy9 wrote:
gerber wrote:

Out of respect and a way the nation can say thank you to him for his lifetime of public service.  Some politicians of whatever hue do deserve the recognition.  He is one.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:52 am

BigAndy9 wrote:
gerber wrote:

slip a fiver in the collection, that should cover it...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:55 am

gerber wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Out of respect and a way the nation can say thank you to him for his lifetime of public service.  Some politicians of whatever hue do deserve the recognition.  He is one.

There are millions who deserve not recognition with pomp and ceremony but basic respect in their later years - they don't get it because this country (MPs) have p1ssed our riches up the wall.

Mr Benn made sure his final years were spent very nicely indeed!

Now, I won't bad mouth the man any more because like I said, he was one of the better ones.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:59 am

I'm pretty sure he was handsomely paid for his services to the country...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down