NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teen devastated as dream prom dress arrives and looks nothing like she expected

+3
Original Quill
Ben Reilly
eddie
7 posters

Go down

Teen devastated as dream prom dress arrives and looks nothing like she expected Empty Teen devastated as dream prom dress arrives and looks nothing like she expected

Post by eddie Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:48 pm

A 17-year-old was left in tears after the £113 prom dress she ordered looked very different from the pictures

What she received...
Teen devastated as dream prom dress arrives and looks nothing like she expected 824ab510

The photo of the dress...
Teen devastated as dream prom dress arrives and looks nothing like she expected 34cc1c10

Internet shopping is always a bit of a risk, as you never know exactly what you're getting until it arrives.

But when you spend a hefty amount of money on something, you'd expect to feel pretty secure in the knowledge that what you've purchased is a good quality item.

However one girl was left horrified by what arrived after she spent $212.80 (around £113) on a dress for her school prom.

Alyssa Houma, from Auckland, New Zealand, thought she'd ordered a stylish blush-coloured gown but when she opened the package she got a big shock.

The 17-year-old said she was sceptical about online shopping, so spent a while researching several websites.

She finally settled on one called Dreamy Dress, which appeared to be a locally-based company, had good reviews and claimed they would make the item to her exact measurements.

So when she came across her ideal prom dress on the website, she decided to go ahead and order it.

But when the expected delivery date came and went, Alyssa started to doubt her decision.

She contacted the company, who told her the dress had been dispatched from China.

Speaking to Stuff.co.nz, Alyssa said: "My heart sank, they said it was a New Zealand company.

"When the package arrived, I ripped it open and it was inside out but straight away I could see that the colour wasn't right. When I turned it the right way, there are no words, I was so disappointed. The colour was completely wrong.

"When I put it on it was completely massive, it didn't fit at all."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/teen-devastated-dream-prom-dress-17490292

Both Horatio and I have made threads about online shopping horrors before. China seems to be the biggest culprit in this area.

eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Teen devastated as dream prom dress arrives and looks nothing like she expected Empty Re: Teen devastated as dream prom dress arrives and looks nothing like she expected

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:04 pm

The actual dress is utter shit!
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Teen devastated as dream prom dress arrives and looks nothing like she expected Empty Re: Teen devastated as dream prom dress arrives and looks nothing like she expected

Post by Original Quill Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:47 am

This happens often.  1) her body is not the same as the trim model; or 2) her dress hasn't been tailored like the model's.

This is what you get when you don't go there and try it on.

PS: It does seem they've changed the color.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:50 am

Ben Reilly wrote:The actual dress is utter shit!
But the model looks stunning in it.
This seduces people into buying things, they forget that a model can make even a binbag look good.

(I'd be suspicious at the cost tho. £117 for a full length frock should ring some alarm bells.  Shocked  A decent one should cost twice that amount.)

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:26 pm

eddie wrote:A 17-year-old was left in tears after the £113 prom dress she ordered looked very different from the pictures

What she received...
Teen devastated as dream prom dress arrives and looks nothing like she expected 824ab510

The photo of the dress...
Teen devastated as dream prom dress arrives and looks nothing like she expected 34cc1c10

Internet shopping is always a bit of a risk, as you never know exactly what you're getting until it arrives.

But when you spend a hefty amount of money on something, you'd expect to feel pretty secure in the knowledge that what you've purchased is a good quality item.

However one girl was left horrified by what arrived after she spent $212.80 (around £113) on a dress for her school prom.

Alyssa Houma, from Auckland, New Zealand, thought she'd ordered a stylish blush-coloured gown but when she opened the package she got a big shock.

The 17-year-old said she was sceptical about online shopping, so spent a while researching several websites.

She finally settled on one called Dreamy Dress, which appeared to be a locally-based company, had good reviews and claimed they would make the item to her exact measurements.

So when she came across her ideal prom dress on the website, she decided to go ahead and order it.

But when the expected delivery date came and went, Alyssa started to doubt her decision.

She contacted the company, who told her the dress had been dispatched from China.

Speaking to Stuff.co.nz, Alyssa said: "My heart sank, they said it was a New Zealand company.

"When the package arrived, I ripped it open and it was inside out but straight away I could see that the colour wasn't right. When I turned it the right way, there are no words, I was so disappointed. The colour was completely wrong.

"When I put it on it was completely massive, it didn't fit at all."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/teen-devastated-dream-prom-dress-17490292

Both Horatio and I have made threads about online shopping horrors before. China seems to be the biggest culprit in this area.  

The main difference is the lighting. The girl who ordered the dress could have a lovely figure, but the dress wont look the same as the one in the picture because the lighting has enhanced the dress so much.
It's probably been pinned at the back too so it hangs perfectly on the model.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:33 pm

If it's outright fraud then simply send it back.  Straightforward!

However, fraud is often NOT the issue. Customer delusion is the problem. 

The customer's body shape & size usually looks NOTHING like the stunning statuesque professional who has  a cracking figure,  a good cleavage and good deportment.

A harsh lesson in reality for this poor 17 yo girl, gawd bless her.

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:38 pm

Original Quill wrote:This happens often.  1) her body is not the same as the trim model; or 2) her dress hasn't been tailored like the model's.

This is what you get when you don't go there and try it on.

PS: It does seem they've changed the color.
They haven't.  Lighting in the room can make a dramatic difference, as Syl said. 
"lights-camera-action!"  Laughing

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:53 pm

Online shopping for clothes is a bit of a minefield.
I ordered some long black leather boots last winter, they were offered in different leg widths, standard, wide or extra wide calf....on the model standard looked long and fitted. I ordered standard.
When they came they wouldn't have looked out of place on Dick Whittington the legs were so wide.
God knows what the XW would have looked like. Rolling Eyes

They went back, and I even received a refund in p&p because I complained.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:24 pm

I paid £245 for a Leather jacket,[shades of the 60's Rockers] Largest size they had. Fitted perfectly on top except for being too short. Showed on a Model who must have been a short arse because it looked good all round on him, I'm 6' 1'' ,it left my arse completely exposed. Sent it back same day , next afternoon £245 credited to my account !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:37 pm

nicko wrote:I paid £245 for a Leather jacket,[shades of the 60's Rockers] Largest size they had.  Fitted perfectly on top except for being too short. Showed on a Model who must have been a short arse because it looked good all round on him, I'm 6'  1'' ,it left my arse completely exposed.  Sent it back same day , next afternoon £245 credited to my account !

I like it when sellers state the models size and height, it gives a good indication that something will either fit or not.

I am 5'8''....if a dress is modelled on a petite girl or a 6 footer it isn't going to fit me correctly.
Personally I dont think anything can beat shopping for clothes in actual shops, but then I am old fashioned that way.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:42 pm

It happens to a lot of people. What looks good on the internet isn't necessarily going to look good on me - I never learn. Laughing

Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:06 pm

I think though, that material can make a huge difference. It may be that the in the photo, the material used is different. I often find that when buying online clothes - the material looks different.

I always go by feel when choosing something. I have to like the material so online buying doesn’t always work for me. I often find a size small is too big as they make every side so standard.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down