NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"We invented the cow 10,000 years ago. Lab-grown meat is just the next step"

4 posters

Go down

"We invented the cow 10,000 years ago. Lab-grown meat is just the next step" Empty "We invented the cow 10,000 years ago. Lab-grown meat is just the next step"

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:21 pm

At 8am Pacific Time on 4 November 2021, the world was invited to Emeryville, across the bay from San Francisco, to watch the cardiologist turned start-up founder and CEO Uma Valeti lift an enormous pair of scissors, each blade as long as his leg. “It’s not a dream any more,” Valeti enthused. “Let’s make some meat!”

At this, he sliced through a huge ribbon the colour of beef carpaccio; balloons and confetti rained down, and Upside Foods’ $50m facility for growing meat in a factory – culturing it from cells instead of cutting it from dead animals – was officially open. With typical Silicon Valley understatement, Upside Foods is calling it the Epic (the Engineering, Production and Innovation Centre). The 53,000 sq ft space is “a groundbreaking, world-changing cultivated meat facility”, according to Upside’s chief operating officer Amy Chen.

Livestream viewers were taken on a virtual tour of the “cultivation room”, a vast maze of snaking silver pipes. Masked technicians in blue gloves, white lab coats, hairnets and surgical overshoes inspected gauges and tweaked dials. The camera tracked a technician striding along a gangway through a field of shiny bioreactors: great cylinders with riveted portal windows like those in space rockets. A voiceover informed us that, at capacity, the Epic will produce 400,000 pounds of meat a year: “It will serve as an international model for cultivated meat production. In other words, this is just the beginning.”

https://www.newstatesman.com/long-reads/2022/04/we-invented-the-cow-10000-years-ago-lab-grown-meat-is-just-the-next-step
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

"We invented the cow 10,000 years ago. Lab-grown meat is just the next step" Empty Re: "We invented the cow 10,000 years ago. Lab-grown meat is just the next step"

Post by eddie Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:23 pm

Nice. If it’s cheaper than “normal meat” - whatever that is - then people will buy it.

Success on a plate!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

"We invented the cow 10,000 years ago. Lab-grown meat is just the next step" Empty Re: "We invented the cow 10,000 years ago. Lab-grown meat is just the next step"

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:29 pm

I'd be interested to hear whether vegetarians would find this kind of meat acceptable -- at least the ones who are vegetarian because they hate the killing of animals.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:25 am

Not for me thanks.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:05 pm

At first thought it sounds awful, if I want to eat meat, I want proper meat, it's what I have always known.

On second thought, if it tastes good, if it prevents the suffering and slaughter of millions of animals every year,  if it could perhaps feed people in countries where they can't cultivate animals for food easily, then why not?

Many things that were taken for granted a few short decades ago, would be unthinkable today.
Maybe in a few short decades from now, people will be disgusted at the thought of humans killing real live animals to eat. Shocked
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Ben Reilly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:06 pm

I think we may as well just start eating our food out of test tubes, bypass making it look like something palatable and simply eat straight out of the Petri dish..... "We invented the cow 10,000 years ago. Lab-grown meat is just the next step" 2190311264
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:18 pm

Syl wrote:At first thought it sounds awful, if I want to eat meat, I want proper meat, it's what I have always known.

On second thought, if it tastes good, if it prevents the suffering and slaughter of millions of animals every year,  if it could perhaps feed people in countries where they can't cultivate animals for food easily, then why not?

Many things that were taken for granted a few short decades ago, would be unthinkable today.
Maybe in a few short decades from now, people will be disgusted at the thought of humans killing real live animals to eat. Shocked

I really agree with everything you've said here. While it sounds weird to me, different food customs to our own normally do sound weird. We think it's weird to eat insects but there are billions of people who think we're weird for not eating bugs.

Hunter-gatherer groups might very well find farming and ranching weird. It's all about what society tells us is normal and acceptable.

But yeah, the first burger made out of this stuff is going to come from something that was never a proper cow. Bit bizarre.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:33 pm

Or we could just eat straight out of the Petri dish...?

If we say yes to this type of food, we are really, totally, not worshipping the vehicles that are supposed to carry us through life.

It’s a no from me. No thanks.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down