NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'My girl refuses to dress appropriately around my family so now she's uninvited'

+3
Original Quill
gelico
eddie
7 posters

Go down

'My girl refuses to dress appropriately around my family so now she's uninvited' Empty 'My girl refuses to dress appropriately around my family so now she's uninvited'

Post by eddie Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:49 pm

There are some things that always have and always will be different between different generations.

This is unfortunately something one man knows all too well, after a recent disagreement between his girlfriend of three years and his 87-year-old grandmother.

Every month, the man's family attend his grandmother's estate, where she hosts a huge dinner for the whole family and in December, the man's girlfriend came along for the first time.

"When she attended in December, I got word that my grandmother didn’t approve of her choice of clothing and won’t welcome her back if she doesn’t dress better," he wrote on Reddit's AITA forum.

"My aunt told me that grandma thought she dressed, 'whorish'. Now I fully disagree and so did my family and my aunt. My girlfriend was admittedly dressed slightly less conservative than the other women but I wouldn’t call what she was wearing immodest at all. I told my girlfriend and asked her if she would dress more conservatively next time."

He asked his girlfriend to wear a more conservative outfit to keep the peace.
Earlier this week, ahead of this month's dinner, the man asked his girlfriend to show him what she planned to wear for the family gathering this weekend, and when she did, he was disappointed.

"Again, it wasn’t immodest, but just less conservative and I know it’d p*** my grandmother off again. She said no, as she really liked the dress and it was modest. I told her that what’s modest to her isn’t going to be what’s modest to a 89-year-old woman and if she wanted to buy a dress I’d pay for it, but she refused."

The couple continued to argue and in the end, he told his girlfriend that if she refused to change her dress it would be better for her to just not come this month and they can find a solution for next time.

"She told me I was being unreasonable and putting an old woman’s outdated views over her freedom, but I feel like I was being very reasonable," the man added, before turning to Reddit to hear their opinions on the matter.

However, another disagreed: "It's your grandmother's home and invite and she has one requirement. I get it; her body, her choice but what the younger generation of today needs to get a grip with is you need to pick your God damn battles because fighting a dress war with an elderly grandma who probably won't be around much longer is ridiculous”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/girlfriend-refuses-dress-conservatively-around-26020272

Was he justified? Should the girlfriend be allowed to wear what she wants?
What do you think?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

'My girl refuses to dress appropriately around my family so now she's uninvited' Empty Re: 'My girl refuses to dress appropriately around my family so now she's uninvited'

Post by gelico Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:21 am

I think he was justified tbh

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

'My girl refuses to dress appropriately around my family so now she's uninvited' Empty Re: 'My girl refuses to dress appropriately around my family so now she's uninvited'

Post by Original Quill Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:56 pm

Agreed...but he should set the example, being that he is more familiar with his family's tastes.

'My girl refuses to dress appropriately around my family so now she's uninvited' 770057a365e786cbe574c3e6114de98c--childhood-movies-my-childhood

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:24 pm

I think most people can handle modifying behavior for family events, that include the older generations

I dated an Albanian girl who was also Muslim. Her kids were instructed that there were different expectations around the older folks, and they wouldn't die meeting those expectations when they all got together.

It's a sign of respect, even if you think their expectations are silly. If you are in a relationship, you make occasional sacrifices for your partner, so they can have a relationship with their family. It's just part of being an adult.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

gelico likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:13 pm

What was she wearing? Can't really comment unless we see the offending garments. I'd probably tell the old bag to go fuck herself.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:14 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:What was she wearing?  Can't really comment unless we see the offending garments.  I'd probably tell the old bag to go fuck herself.

I was sort of leaning toward that view.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:21 pm

I lean toward the view that it's her house, so her rules apply. On the other hand, if she showed up wearing something the grandmother didn't approve but then had a real conversation with her, maybe she'd get a little slack from the old lady.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:39 pm

My advice to the girl would be....Run for your life.

Who wants to be chained to a controlling family who have the nerve to think they can tell someone how to dress, next it will be dictating how she acts...then how she thinks.
The grandmother sounds like an old harridan, and the boyfriend is spineless.

Go find a real man love, one who is for you not against you.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:35 pm

Syl wrote:My advice to the girl would be....Run for your life.

Who wants to be chained to a controlling family who have the nerve to think they can tell someone how to dress, next it will be dictating how she acts...then how she thinks.
The grandmother sounds like an old harridan, and the boyfriend is spineless.

Go find a real man love, one who is for you not against you.

Well said.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down