NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teenage girl sent home for violating school dress code - by showing her collarbones

+3
Tommy Monk
Original Quill
Raggamuffin
7 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Teenage girl sent home for violating school dress code - by showing her collarbones Empty Teenage girl sent home for violating school dress code - by showing her collarbones

Post by Guest Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:34 pm

Thousands have signed a petition started by a US mother left furious when her teenage daughter was sent home from school for exposing her collarbones. Stacie Dunn’s daughter, Stephanie, was disciplined by the head teacher of Woodford County High School in Kentucky after wearing a top and cardigan that did not conform to rules. Mrs Dunn, who was called in to the school after her daughter was sent home on 13 August, criticised the establishment in a Facebook post for its “ridiculous” dress code.

Teenage girl sent home for violating school dress code - by showing her collarbones 11898714_10205047610205315_6689208938970330131_n

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-teenager-sent-home-for-violating-school-dress-code-by-showing-her-collarbones-10464020.html

Back to top Go down

Teenage girl sent home for violating school dress code - by showing her collarbones Empty Re: Teenage girl sent home for violating school dress code - by showing her collarbones

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:37 pm

“Parents are being called away from their important jobs and students are missing important class time because they are showing their collarbones! Something needs to change,” she wrote.

How about people just stick to the dress code?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Teenage girl sent home for violating school dress code - by showing her collarbones Empty Re: Teenage girl sent home for violating school dress code - by showing her collarbones

Post by Guest Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:38 pm

How about the code should be scrapped as this is the 21st century

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:40 pm

If they don't like the dress code, they should go to another school.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:42 pm

Again that is an absurd reason to claim a code means for a girl to cover up her shoulders.
Let me repeat, this is the 21st century and how on earth does that make a girl perform better or worse for if her shoulders are exposed in school?

Its backward code from the Victorian era and its bonkers

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:45 pm

Sleep

She should just wear the proper clothes instead of making a silly fuss, and her mother should STFU.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:47 pm

Again the code is utterly absurd and is no doubt based on something that claims that it makes women into ladies based on Victorian ethics.
Its bonkers and shows how this school is living in the past and needs to fast forward to the 21st century
Like I said how on earth does that effect how a girl performs in school?

Have a good evening

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:41 pm

Dress codes can be so silly. As I look at this girl, she should bind her breasts a bit and wear pajama bottoms. Those jeans are waaaay too tight. Her hair needs to be cut and the cardigan color should match her tank top.

Collar bones? Irrelevant. Much ado about nothing.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:44 pm

The story is not really the issue to me Quill, it is the fact some schools have these outdated dress codes which are to me absurd.
So I agree with you

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:53 pm

Cuchulain wrote:The story is not really the issue to me Quill, it is the fact some schools have these outdated dress codes which are to me absurd.
So I agree with you

Dress codes are so outdated, and so inconsistent. I see these chuucks wearing their pants down around their knees and then someone is worried about some girl's collar bones???

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:55 pm

Original Quill wrote:Dress codes can be so silly.  As I look at this girl, she should bind her breasts a bit and wear pajama bottoms.  Those jeans are waaaay too tight.  Her hair needs to be cut and the cardigan color should match her tank top.

Collar bones?  Irrelevant.  Much ado about nothing.

She could do with the ends being trimmed off that hair tbh. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:01 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Dress codes can be so silly.  As I look at this girl, she should bind her breasts a bit and wear pajama bottoms.  Those jeans are waaaay too tight.  Her hair needs to be cut and the cardigan color should match her tank top.

Collar bones?  Irrelevant.  Much ado about nothing.

She could do with the ends being trimmed off that hair tbh. Laughing

Haha...first think I noticed. Laughing

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:07 pm

I bet she was actually showing a lot more than is claimed in that picture...

Schools are a place of learning... not a fashion parade or a place for flashing the flesh...

We have had lefties argue that benefits should be generous enough for buying kids expensive and flashy clothes to keep up with others and so as to not feel 'left out' (which is now a form of bullying I am led to believe by some!!!)... but now a school is criticised for trying to enforce dress code that seeks to keep things sensible!!!???

If it's only clothes and they all have a right to wear what they want and 'express themselves' etc... then why not just let them all walk around in skimpy swim wear!?

Bikini's and mankini's?

Fishnet stockings and suspenders?

Gimp suits...?

Or any other number of ridiculous and/or inappropriate sorts of things!?

Where do you draw the line!?

Obviously there is A need for a line to be drawn... and when this line is drawn, then people need to abide by it!!!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:37 pm

How does "benefits" always end up being brought up in topics that have nothing to do with benefits?

I've seen women dressed like this girl working in offices, and in my newsroom. There's nothing revealing about her outfit.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:59 pm

One last thing before I go.
To those who define a person by how they dress never allow themselves to think whether that person they judge might judge them also themselves by how they dress.
Who is right?
The only person who is rights is the person deciding to dress by what makes them feel good.

So we are left with decency and how do we measure decency
Well if you can look at a naked individual and admire their beauty without getting turned on, that would be not only decency but respect. As you are respecting how they look.
It matters not what we wear or do not wear, it matters how we respect others in what they decide to wear or lacked to wear as the case maybe.

This school denies that and places a mythical belief on how and what women should wear to look decent. Where even worse a belief to think this will make them better ladies whilst improving their grades. It takes the really worst sexist poor belief that women cannot concentrate whilst looking and feeling good if they are the centre of attention and attraction. All that does is make a women feel worthless to say they look too attractive. Again negative views form from how people conceive people should decently dress. It denies a woman to feel empowered.
Women and men should always have the freedom to express who they are, and dress codes deny them this, as such a belief systems tries to instill a view to tell them how to dress, based not on how they feel, but how others feel.

That denies reason and is only ever judgemental.
There is nothing decent about that and thus decency with a code of dress is denied from the start, as they have failed to treat the women here with any decency telling them how to dress.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:07 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
“Parents are being called away from their important jobs and students are missing important class time because they are showing their collarbones! Something needs to change,” she wrote.

And stop running whining to facebook

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:12 pm

Nems wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I agree its wrong to moan on facebook, but what I understand all people do that on there, to gain support for their views, to feel they made the right choice.
However this policy is absurd Nems in this day and age, as you cannot teach freedom of choice by enforcing people on what they should wear.
Some uniforms have reason to identify but lets face it uniforms teach nothing other than enforcing a view on how others think as to what you should wear.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:13 pm

Nems wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Here's a radical thought -- how about we leave people alone unless they're causing a disruption?

Really, I see teens and young women dressed like this girl every day.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:16 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Nems wrote:

Here's a radical thought -- how about we leave people alone unless they're causing a disruption?

Good point. Some people need to chill the feck out

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:25 pm

Nems wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:
Nems wrote:

Good point. Some people need to chill the feck out

Found this photo of a group of Florida high-school juniors (age 16-17 most likely) who did something with their state government:

Teenage girl sent home for violating school dress code - by showing her collarbones 470554030

If anything, I think the girl in the OP is dressed more conservatively than some of the Floridians.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:02 am

They have plenty of time and opportunity to dress how they like outside of school.

If there is A dress code inside of school then it needs to be adhered to.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:11 am

Tommy Monk wrote:They have plenty of time and opportunity to dress how they like outside of school.

So if the dress code was to enforce wearing the burka, how would you personally feel Tommy?
Reemeber uniforms impose a point of view from someone else.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:13 am

Hardly A valid argument dodge... I might as well be asking you what if the dress code was skimpy beach wear!?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:14 am

Tommy Monk wrote:Hardly A valid argument dodge... I might as well be asking you what if the dress code was skimpy beach wear!?

Its very valid as its based on your methodology.
We impose dress.
That is your methodology.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:16 am

Tommy Monk wrote:They have plenty of time and opportunity to dress how they like outside of school.

Why?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:23 am

Why not?
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:25 am

Tommy Monk wrote:Why not?

Well, shouldn't rules make sense? Why should people be made to obey nonsensical rules?

If the UK passed a law requiring everyone to spin in a circle for five minutes daily, would you think that rule should be obeyed?

Does that fact that somebody set a rule automatically give it logical merit?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:26 am

Tommy Monk wrote:Why not?

What purpose does that dress code serve?
The girl?
Or those imposing it?
Who says that view is right?
Explain how a dress code that is backwards that denies freedom is right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:41 am

It's a school dress code dodge... I'm sure they have other rules too...

Nothing unusual... but there is always a twat who thinks they are too important to have to follow simple rules...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:43 am

Its a measure to impose how others should dress twatti
How does it benefit anywone?
Yet again?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:51 am

If no line was drawn... no code at all... what's to stop students arriving in all manner of inappropriate attire as I listed above...!?

Obviously a line has to be drawn somewhere... it's not hard to adhere to it now is it!?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:55 am

Tommy Monk wrote:If no line was drawn... no code at all... what's to stop students arriving in all manner of inappropriate attire as I listed above...!?

Obviously a line has to be drawn somewhere... it's not hard to adhere to it now is it!?

Students dressed inappropriately is one thing -- like I said, the standard should be whether the way a student dresses is distracting other students from learning.

You don't seem to address whether you think rules have any inherent value. There's no reason a rule that makes no sense should remain in place.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:05 am

This rule obviously does make sense... and was infringed in this instance...

I'm sure the organised Facebook shot was far different to the way she was wearing the clothes on that particular occasion...

We all acknowledge a line has to be drawn... and should therefore be adhered to.

I'll also bet that she had probably had numerous previous warnings about infringements too!!!

Although unmentioned...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:36 am

Tommy Monk wrote:This rule obviously does make sense... and was infringed in this instance...

I'm sure the organised Facebook shot was far different to the way she was wearing the clothes on that particular occasion...

We all acknowledge a line has to be drawn... and should therefore be adhered to.

I'll also bet that she had probably had numerous previous warnings about infringements too!!!

Although unmentioned...

How can you be so sure of anything about this? And why do you assume they're lying? Guilty until proven innocent, huh? Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:07 am

Tommy Monk wrote:I bet she was actually showing a lot more than is claimed in that picture...

Schools are a place of learning... not a fashion parade or a place for flashing the flesh...

We have had lefties argue that benefits should be generous enough for buying kids expensive and flashy clothes to keep up with others and so as to not feel 'left out' (which is now a form of bullying I am led to believe by some!!!)... but now a school is criticised for trying to enforce dress code that seeks to keep things sensible!!!???

If it's only clothes and they all have a right to wear what they want and 'express themselves' etc... then why not just let them all walk around in skimpy swim wear!?

Bikini's and mankini's?

Fishnet stockings and suspenders?

Gimp suits...?

Or any other number of ridiculous and/or inappropriate sorts of things!?

Where do you draw the line!?

Obviously there is A need for a line to be drawn... and when this line is drawn, then people need to abide by it!!!

Yes, take a page from the righties....

Teenage girl sent home for violating school dress code - by showing her collarbones 1398357538887

A little less collarbone there, if ya don't mind Blitzy! Razz

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:13 am

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:If no line was drawn... no code at all... what's to stop students arriving in all manner of inappropriate attire as I listed above...!?

Students dressed inappropriately is one thing -- like I said, the standard should be whether the way a student dresses is distracting other students from learning.

You don't seem to address whether you think rules have any inherent value. There's no reason a rule that makes no sense should remain in place.

In other words, you think there should be a dress code. The fact that you don't agree with this particular one is neither here nor there.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:38 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

In other words, you think there should be a dress code. The fact that you don't agree with this particular one is neither here nor there.

Absurd reasoing.
So if a school had a code that made women be forced to cover their faces, it would be a good dress code or a bad one?
Dress codes are nonsense as they are formed not from a view of what the individual wants to wear but how others perceive how others should dress.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:51 am

That did not answer my question.

How does it benefit anywone?
Yet again?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:50 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:This rule obviously does make sense... and was infringed in this instance...

Although unmentioned...

How can you be so sure of anything about this? And why do you assume they're lying? Guilty until proven innocent, huh? Smile

She violated the dress code, so already guilty... plus I reckon this was not the first time... people lie to try to misrepresent the truth and mitigate circumstances.
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:24 pm

Everyone but rags seems to miss the point!

If you choose a school - you read the rules - and then you choose the school based off what you've read
In essence, you agree to the rules of the place you attend.

If then, you break the rules don't whine like a bitch.

For the record, I think that she's dressed okay, but I bet that's not what she was wearing to school when they moaned. Either way, she broke the rules of the Dress Conduct so that's that really.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:24 pm

I doubt she violated the dress code as it is written.  My take is that the school authorities were making up a "collebone" test.  Somehow, the tank top didn't fits with someone's liking.

Righties typically invent rules as they go along.  Their idea of due process of law is do it my way! The rule says students "can only wear round-necked t-shirts..." That shirt looks round-necked to me.

Some school Marm hasn't got laid recently, that's all.

Last edited by Original Quill on Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:28 pm

Just as I thought -- because she's been accused of doing something, Tommy thinks she's guilty, the way many people on the right have the tendency to assume that someone accused of doing something wrong must be a bad person.

Somehow, from an ocean away, Tommy knows all about this girl and her mother. Rolling Eyes
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:32 pm

I love how everyone accuse people of being left and right as though it's okay to label someone's opinions!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:34 pm

eddie wrote:I love how everyone accuse people of being left and right as though it's okay to label someone's opinions!

I think that objection should come from Tommy if he feels that way -- it does have all the hallmarks of right wing authoritarianism, though.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:36 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:I love how everyone accuse people of being left and right as though it's okay to label someone's opinions!

I think that objection should come from Tommy if he feels that way -- it does have all the hallmarks of right wing authoritarianism, though.

Some of his views are quite left on some topics, actually.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:46 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:

Some of his views are quite left on some topics, actually.

Anyway, I don't want to talk about Tommy, but the OP topic. I'd really like to hear what anybody actually thinks is wrong with the way the girl's dressed, other than "the principal decided it broke the rule."

Shouldn't we only allow authority figures to tell us what to do when it's reasonable?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:47 pm

Oh wait, I forgot we've moved on from the topic of the pictured outfit and decided we know that she and her mother are dirty liars. Never mind.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Ben_Reilly wrote:Oh wait, I forgot we've moved on from the topic of the pictured outfit and decided we know that she and her mother are dirty liars. Never mind.

You're very grumpy today Benji

I don't think her mum is a liar? I wouldn't know?
I do think though, that if my son came home and said he'd broken the rules of the schools policy on uniform and dress code, I'd say "Oh well, don't wear it again then!"

Rules are there for a reason and of you teach children to constantly challenge them all the time then won't they just end up losing jobs etc becaeue of it?

What if that was a highly paid job?

Would you advise someone to "Fuck the rules! Wear what you like! If you lose your job....so what?!"

Don't think so
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:12 pm

Sorry, don't mean to be grumpy. I just don't like it when people assume, with no proof, that someone is lying, that's not a healthy approach to others in my opinion.

I think there's a fine balance between teaching your children to get along in society and teaching them to question authority when appropriate. The way you dress is a personal choice and a form of self expression, and it's nobody's business unless your clothing is demonstrably disruptive (and in some cases not even that's a good enough excuse. I have the right to wear a pro-Obama shirt regardless of whether someone else thinks he's the Antichrist Smile

I've always thought that politics is largely about the question of what we want our society to become. So I see something like this and ask, do we want to raise a new generation of Americans that think it's acceptable for authorities to make unreasonable calls like this?

Also, I think the people who truly succeed are those who don't put their noses down and follow the rules -- companies want creative employees, and creativity doesn't come from always doing exactly as you're told.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:14 pm

eddie wrote:
Ben_Reilly wrote:Oh wait, I forgot we've moved on from the topic of the pictured outfit and decided we know that she and her mother are dirty liars. Never mind.

You're very grumpy today Benji

I don't think her mum is a liar? I wouldn't know?
I do think though, that if my son came home and said he'd broken the rules of the schools policy on uniform and dress code, I'd say "Oh well, don't wear it again then!"

Rules are there for a reason and of you teach children to constantly challenge them all the time then won't they just end up losing jobs etc becaeue of it?

What if that was a highly paid job?

Would you advise someone to "Fuck the rules! Wear what you like! If you lose your job....so what?!"

Don't think so

But it wasn't a rule. It was at best an authoritarian administrator, trying to bully someone she didn't like.

My experience with these administrator types is they get a lot more involved in the lives of students and parents than they should. I'm betting there is some on-going feud here.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next