NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dress Code At Work

+4
eddie
Syl
Victorismyhero
Major
8 posters

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Dress Code At Work Empty Re: Dress Code At Work

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:16 am

beyond thse jobs requiring uniform or PPE ......No....as long as the employees are dressed "appropriately" for the task and environment they are employed in and as befits their duties the empoyer should have no say....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:27 pm

appropriate as in

decent, and clean/suitable...as in safe

for instance jeans and lumberjack type shirts may be ok for "production/packing line type jobs"

but I would expect "smarter" for customer facing jobs "reception. reps etc"

high heels are NOT appropriate/necessary in any employment "except perhaps for "ladies of the night"
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:48 pm

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bring-sexist-bosses-heel-tightening-9686749

"Laws against bosses enforcing “sexy” dress codes on women at work need tightening up, say MPs.
Females are still too often required to wear make-up, high heels, skirts above the knee, revealing outfits, even to dye their hair blonde, according to a report."

The only women who should be asked to dye their hair blonde are actresses if the part requires it. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:07 pm

I don't see how you can tell people what to wear? Who has time to go round an office or factory, checking up on people's garments? I am one of those people who often adds a little twist to a uniform or an outfit - I'd hate someone telling me what to wear!

Having said all of that, there must be a problem somewhere, for this to be brought up...? What the hell have people been wearing to work? scratch
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:24 pm

eddie wrote:I don't see how you can tell people what to wear? Who has time to go round an office or factory, checking up on people's garments? I am one of those people who often adds a little twist to a uniform or an outfit - I'd hate someone telling me what to wear!

Having said all of that, there must be a problem somewhere, for this to be brought up...? What the hell have people been wearing to work? scratch

This is the case that started it all off last year. A female receptionist was sent home without pay because she refused to wear heels.
She was wearing smart leather flats, which by law she was entitled to.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36264229

After her case was highlighted hundreds of other women came forwards and signed a petition that it has also happened to them.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:39 pm

Major wrote:If 'you are paying wages' to someone and wish for them to dress in a certain manner then you have that right providing it is safe.

Not if it's sexist.

I would not dream of going to work in my size 12 cerise 6 inch stilettos. lol!lol!lol!

Spoilsport.

Why do women even wanna go to standing up all day jobs in such shoes which I am told, 'kill ya feet'.

Women want to wear heels when it suits THEM...not when they are told to, no doubt by some short arsed creep who wants to fantasize about them rather than getting on with his own work.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:20 pm

When somebody is doing a 'front of house' client/customer facing job, image/appearance and certain social interaction skills are not just important but are the 3 major key essentials for fulfilling the requirements of the role.

If a job requires conforming to dress code then either do the job and abide by requirement... or don't do the job at all...
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:14 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

When somebody is doing a 'front of house' client/customer facing job, image/appearance and certain social interaction skills are not just important but are the 3 major key essentials for fulfilling the requirements of the role.

If a job requires conforming to dress code then either do the job and abide by requirement... or don't do the job at all...

What a load of cobblers.
The image is subjective based on a perceived view on how women or men should look.
High heels is not a requirement that women should have a compulsory dress code. In fact there is no need for such a dress code in many situations, when it is not a uniform. Even if it was a uniform, why the necessity for wearing high heels? To say the job requires this has no bases. To claim only high heels is presentable as an image is clearly born from a sexist mindset.

The days of the suit is from a by-gone age, as who is the company trying to impress when the majority of employees, never see any of the customers the company interacts with. All many companies are doing is making absurd rules on how they individually would like people to dress. It does not in anyway help employee performance and in many ways makes many uncomfortable. No company should enforce unfair dress codes upon its employees.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:17 am

I still chuckle at the memory of an editorial meeting I went to a few years back -- a newly-promoted editor about 10 years younger than me showed up in a suit and tie, and the look on his face when he saw me in jeans, a t-shirt and sneakers was pretty priceless.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:23 am

Ben Reilly wrote:I still chuckle at the memory of an editorial meeting I went to a few years back -- a newly-promoted editor about 10 years younger than me showed up in a suit and tie, and the look on his face when he saw me in jeans, a t-shirt and sneakers was pretty priceless.

That is funny and nails the point on the head. We are brought up with a preconceived idea on what subjectively is needed to wear in employment. As if what that company thinks you should wear, is going to benefit the company. Its not like some jobs that require uniforms, to make stand out as easily identifiable. Like the Police, ambulance crews etc. We are talking about offices here, where as I say, all these people see daily in many cases. Is just their fellow employees.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:38 am

I agree, and if you look at the new biggies out there, they've thrown the whole thing out the window:

Dress Code At Work The-outliers-3-the-trouble-with-geniuses-iq-is-not-enough-to-succeed

Facebook is a pretty big deal from what I've read Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:40 am

Ben Reilly wrote:I agree, and if you look at the new biggies out there, they've thrown the whole thing out the window:

Dress Code At Work The-outliers-3-the-trouble-with-geniuses-iq-is-not-enough-to-succeed

lol!

Exactly, hence the absurdity of a preconceived idea of what constitutes on image in the work place

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:44 am

Check out the guy in the red jacket behind him, he's got the major hump. "He's gone off for coffee and cheese sarnies without me...again!"
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:46 am

eddie wrote:I don't see how you can tell people what to wear? Who has time to go round an office or factory, checking up on people's garments? I am one of those people who often adds a little twist to a uniform or an outfit - I'd hate someone telling me what to wear!

Idea

It's relatively easy to tell people what to wear in many a workplace...

Make it a work conditions requirememt, and include in the contract/workplace agreements...

In factories and mines, on farms and on trawlers, forestry work and oil rigs --  certain modes of dress, and use of PPE go with the job.

If the employer then wants a certain level of appearance, or a uniform business look, the easiest thing to do then, is provide work clothes as part of that workplace agreement.
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:35 pm

well I have to wear button up shirt and business pants and nice shoes. at a minimum.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Women actually tend to have far more freedom in clothes in office jobs.

last job was better officially any collared shirt will do any pants, but some people would wears shorts and a t shirt.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:51 pm

Women do have more freedom when they work in an office environment, except when some idiot male boss insists they wear stiletto shoes and mini skirts.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:34 am

Thorin wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:I agree, and if you look at the new biggies out there, they've thrown the whole thing out the window:

lol!

Exactly, hence the absurdity of a preconceived idea of what constitutes on image in the work place

this is a little bit of a pretense though..
often such freedom does not go down the chain Wink

I have no knowledge about Facebook's offices
but I know Google is actually crap to work for and IF you actually use any of the stuff or wear street clothes you just wont get promoted.

those 'nap pods' etc are more accurately 'career suicide pods' Razz Razz Razz

Last edited by veya_victaous on Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:31 am

What's a "nap pod"?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:08 am

eddie wrote:What's a "nap pod"?

Fancy egg chair in a quiet room.

They have ping pong tables and stuff to it is really just decorative so the look modern and friendly in reality they are no diffrrent then the old boys
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:13 am

veya_victaous wrote:

They have ping pong tables and stuff to it is really just decorative so the look modern and friendly in reality they are no diffrrent then the old boys

An egg chair???? Jeez. Are they also breast-fed?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:40 am

eddie wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

An egg chair???? Jeez. Are they also breast-fed?

You'd be Suprised.
But in truth.... sort of a law firm I worked for would take us to strip club etc
They wll go to quite an extent for 'targeted techs'
veya_victaous
veya_victaous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down