NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You have just been promoted to Newspaper Editor...

+5
eddie
Maddog
Tommy Monk
Andy
Syl
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

You have just been promoted to Newspaper Editor... Empty You have just been promoted to Newspaper Editor...

Post by Syl Sat May 01, 2021 12:12 pm

So it's up to you to decide what stories and articles go into this weeks copy.

Do you think you would be a good editor, fair and balanced, hard hitting and radical, more red top or broadsheet??

Your decisions this week could influence millions. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

You have just been promoted to Newspaper Editor... Empty Re: You have just been promoted to Newspaper Editor...

Post by Syl Sat May 01, 2021 12:20 pm

I would definitely be more 'Red Top'...on account of I like pictures to accompany my stories. Cool
A bit like food, if it looks good it grabs your interest, you are more likely to try it.

I would be middle of the road...no rabid RW or LW reporting for MY paper....give a balanced view of what's happening or it doesn't get in.
A bit like a juror is instructed....go with the facts not your own personal opinion or gossip.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

You have just been promoted to Newspaper Editor... Empty Re: You have just been promoted to Newspaper Editor...

Post by Andy Sat May 01, 2021 1:37 pm

I would host a tabloid version of the I. Totally independent, free from interference  from any billionaire owners and political  donors . I would seek out social and legal injustices,  would uncover corruption and malpractice amongst MP's and peers, and attempt to shame and out far left and far right extremists.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 01, 2021 2:39 pm

Andy wrote:I would host a tabloid version of the I. Totally independent, free from interference  from any billionaire owners and political  donors . I would seek out social and legal injustices,  would uncover corruption and malpractice amongst MP's and peers, and attempt to shame and out  far left and far right extremists.

How would you fund your paper Andy?
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat May 01, 2021 3:43 pm

Not my problem. I am the editor, not the owner.
Andy
Andy

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat May 01, 2021 4:22 pm

Didn't there used to be a tabloid version of the independent...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat May 01, 2021 5:29 pm

Andy wrote:Not my problem.  I am the editor, not the owner.

You wouldn't be the editor for long as the business would fail with that attitude.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat May 01, 2021 5:40 pm

Andy wrote:Not my problem.  I am the editor, not the owner.

Anything that doesn't make profit doesn't stay in business for long....especially without a very wealthy owner. You have just been promoted to Newspaper Editor... 2190311264
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat May 01, 2021 8:43 pm

I’d rather have a publication full of opinion pieces. Honest, raw, no holds barred, shooting from the hip and taking out kneecaps if necessary.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

HoratioTarr likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat May 01, 2021 8:49 pm

eddie wrote:I’d rather have a publication full of opinion pieces. Honest, raw, no holds barred, shooting from the hip and taking out kneecaps if necessary.

Sounds like Fox and CNN.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 01, 2021 9:01 pm

I'd be objective in my news reporting, which would be focused on finding and reporting information my readers care about and can use.

But I'd also let my reporters write a weekly column from their beat, where they could give a savvy insider's opinion about the biggest stories. They'd all be required to disclose their party affilation, if any, with their columns.

The opinion section would be big, robust and diverse. It couldn't include opinions presented as facts, however. It would strictly be opinions about established facts, rather than invention of pseudo-facts that we see so much now.

I'd probably not even have a sports section, since specialty sport websites now have that market cornered and it's a waste of resources to cover anything other than the most popular teams and athletes.

Blow-out coverage (Prince Philip's funeral, for example) would be full of photos and sponsored by advertisers at a premium, as our layouts would be designed to be framed and displayed.

We'd definitely have a digital-first approach, with the physical product more devoted to long reads and think pieces -- more like a magazine. My breaking news team would be a bunch of rabid Wild West types who would publish almost exclusively online, but a subeditor would compile their reports into quick-hit summaries for the paper.

And the paper itself would be broadsheet, because that's just classier. Smile
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

eddie, Original Quill and Syl like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sat May 01, 2021 9:04 pm

I was a newspaper journalist...from cub reporter at 17 to editor of a fairly large provincial paper. I never yearned for Fleet Street, as it then was, but I did some casual work for a couple of nationals (including the Daily Mail, so I guess that puts me on Andy’s shit list!)

I was at my happiest writing about farming and the countryside, and ended up in PR for a major farming organisation which involved me in quite a bit of radio and TV work.

Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

eddie, Original Quill and Syl like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat May 01, 2021 9:10 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:I was a newspaper journalist...from cub reporter at 17 to editor of a fairly large provincial paper. I never yearned for Fleet Street, as it then was, but I did some casual work for a couple of nationals (including the Daily Mail, so I guess that puts me on Andy’s shit list!)

I was at my happiest writing about farming and the countryside, and ended up in PR for a major farming organisation which involved me in quite a bit of radio and TV work.

“And now, live at the farm....Mr Moletrousers!”

Sexy! Razz
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Ben Reilly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Sat May 01, 2021 9:43 pm

eddie wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:I was a newspaper journalist...from cub reporter at 17 to editor of a fairly large provincial paper. I never yearned for Fleet Street, as it then was, but I did some casual work for a couple of nationals (including the Daily Mail, so I guess that puts me on Andy’s shit list!)

“And now, live at the farm....Mr Moletrousers!”

Sexy! Razz

Yep, still out in the sticks enjoying peace, tranquility and lovely scenery....and this evening yelling out of the window at a handsome male Muntjac deer which I caught eating my newly planted pansies! And what I called the little bugger would NOT have been used on Farming Today!

Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat May 01, 2021 9:56 pm

Madman Moletrousers! cheers
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun May 02, 2021 12:27 am

Being shallow....I would love a glossy pullout concentrating on fashion, makeup, latest trends, etc.
I would fund my glossy from ads and promotions.
ALL the photo's would be untouched....real pics for real people.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun May 02, 2021 1:40 am

Syl wrote:Being shallow....I would love a glossy pullout concentrating on fashion, makeup, latest trends, etc.

We are all different, so this isn’t a dig, but I HATE that kind of publication.

It’s everything I don’t want my daughter to look at.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun May 02, 2021 12:23 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:Being shallow....I would love a glossy pullout concentrating on fashion, makeup, latest trends, etc.

We are all different, so this isn’t a dig, but I HATE that kind of publication.  

It’s everything I don’t want my daughter to look at.

No problem, we all like different things.

I grew up buying every glossy mag I could afford, I think they were different back then though. The Hello and OK mags of today seem to be quite sycophantic towards Royalty and Love Island wannabees. Cosmopolitan, Photoplay and the like, back in the 60's and 70's , were very different.

I don't buy any mags now, I buy books....but in my teen/20's years I was interested in different things. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun May 02, 2021 4:40 pm

It's a pleasure to read Ben and Fred on this topic, as they are the two professionals, weighing in on the subject. They know the mission of journalism...and the constraints.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun May 02, 2021 4:51 pm

eddie wrote:I’d rather have a publication full of opinion pieces. Honest, raw, no holds barred, shooting from the hip and taking out kneecaps if necessary.

So you would turn it from a newspaper into a tawdry scandal rag, full of bullshit from over opinionated writers, who don't give a damn about the truth of the news, just their warped and weird take on it.
Don't we have enough of them in Britain already?

Question is would you use the likes of Owen Jones or Katie Hopkins?
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun May 02, 2021 5:03 pm

Original Quill wrote:It's a pleasure to read Ben and Fred on this topic, as they are the two professionals, weighing in on the subject.  They know the mission of journalism...and the constraints.

I agree Quill...it's interesting reading everyone's opinions, but when someone actually has knowledge behind those opinions...even better.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun May 02, 2021 8:51 pm

Syl wrote:So it's up to you to decide what stories and articles go into this weeks copy.

Do you think you would be a good editor, fair and balanced, hard hitting and radical, more red top or broadsheet??

Your decisions this week could influence millions. Cool

I'd go for an anti Woke theme.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Maddog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 pm

woke
/wəʊk/
Learn to pronounce
verb
past of wake1.
adjectiveINFORMAL•US
alert to injustice in society, especially racism.
"we need to stay angry, and stay woke"

So if you are anti woke, you approve injustice and pro racism..

Hmm,I prefer woke.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Mon May 03, 2021 12:16 am

Andy wrote:woke
/wəʊk/
Learn to pronounce
verb
past of wake1.
adjectiveINFORMAL•US
alert to injustice in society, especially racism.
"we need to stay angry, and stay woke"

So if you are anti woke, you approve injustice and pro racism..

Hmm,I prefer woke.

You have just been promoted to Newspaper Editor... Screen54
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon May 03, 2021 10:24 am

Andy wrote:

So you would turn it from a newspaper into a tawdry scandal rag, full of bullshit from over opinionated writers, who don't give a damn about the truth of the news, just their warped and weird take on it.
Don't we have enough of them in Britain already?

Question is would you use the likes of Owen Jones or Katie Hopkins?

“...a tawdry scandal rag, full of bullshit from over opinionated writers...”?  Why “bullshit”, Andy...and why “over opinionated”?

Let us assume for a moment that this is The Daily Newsfix, editor of which is one Benjamin Reilly; that you are his guest columnist, and that the rest of you have just popped into Fred’s Newsagent shop in lovely downtown Biggleswade, paying a quid for today’s issue so you can have a good read and natter while enjoying a latte and toasted tea cake in Eddie’s Ye Olde English Tea Shoppe.....

Now some of you may think that Andy’s column today, in which he criticises and lampoons Boris Johnson over his Brexit policy and his scruffy appearance, is “bullshit” while others of you may claim that Brexit was an excellent deal, and that the the reason why Boris looks like Catweazel with a bad hangover is because he’s working round the clock for the nation on everything from Covid to Wee Burnie’s determination to become President of the People’s Republic of Scotland.

The former may well dismiss columnist Andy as being just another “self opinionated writer” and that Benjamin’s organ (journalistically speaking, of course) is a “tawdry rag” because it employs him, while the latter will most likely opine that The Daily Newsfix is a first class newspaper and well worth the quid that it costs.

But the most important thing is that Andy’s self opinions have got the attention of all of you, whether you agree with them or not. You are taking about them. You are even arguing about them. You are expressing your  own opinions and views; in other words you are exercising your inalienable right to free speech.....”I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

But you have bought the paper, and will almost certainly buy it again tomorrow to read what “self opinionated” Andy is pontificating about then...and Benjamin Reilly is a happy man because his newspaper is being read, talked about, argued over...and, most importantly, will continue to exist and thrive in a highly competitive market.

And our Andy, in the meantime, relishes his celebrity status because he knows that he is - and will continue to be - read and talked about...purely because he writes self opinionated (and nowt wrong with that!) material that may well be one man’s bullshit...but another’s incisive, well researched and informative journalism.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon May 03, 2021 12:16 pm

Wasn't the News of the World one such paper that skated close to the edge for many decades?
I remember my Mum saying she "wouldn't have that scandal sheet in the house", when I was a kid. Laughing
Plenty did though and it was a top-selling Sunday paper for many years, till even they overstepped the mark in their quest to publish personal scoops.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon May 03, 2021 12:53 pm

Over opinionated writers such as Kelvin McKenzie and Katie Hopkins are now nowhere to be seen, and will(hopefully) never disgrace newspapers in the UK ever again.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon May 03, 2021 1:53 pm

I just want to read news, truthful, facts of events that have happened, why they have occurred and the outcome and repercussions of those events.
The best and most reliable papers for this are the Independent and its equivalent, the I. Before that, Eddie Shah had a good attempt with the Today paper, which was thd first to bring colour pictures to a tabloid. It did ok, until its rivals, Sun, Mirror, Express, Star and Mail went colour as well.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon May 03, 2021 2:06 pm

Syl wrote:Wasn't the News of the World one such paper that skated close to the edge for many decades?
I remember my Mum saying she "wouldn't have that scandal sheet in the house", when I was a kid. Laughing
Plenty did though and it was a top-selling Sunday paper for many years, till even they overstepped the mark in their quest to publish personal scoops.

Yes, it did skate close to the edge in pursuit of the prurient celebrity gossip surrounding celebrities.....and it was so popular with newspaper readers that it was at one time, if memory serves, the biggest selling English language title in the world.

But what finally brought it down was the criminality of phone hacking, not only of celebs but also the families of soldiers killed in action and, most notoriously, the voicemail of Milly Dowler. Senior staff were utterly disgraced, including in the eyes of their Fleet Street peers, and there were even jail sentences.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon May 03, 2021 2:19 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Syl wrote:Wasn't the News of the World one such paper that skated close to the edge for many decades?

Yes, it did skate close to the edge in pursuit of the prurient celebrity gossip surrounding celebrities.....and it was so popular with newspaper readers that it was at one time, if memory serves, the biggest selling English language title in the world.

But what finally brought it down was the criminality of phone hacking, not only of celebs but also the families of soldiers killed in action and, most notoriously, the voicemail of Milly Dowler. Senior staff were utterly disgraced, including in the eyes of their Fleet Street peers, and there were even jail sentences.

I remember all the scandal about the Milly Dowler voicemails Fred.
The News of the World folded almost overnight because of that.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon May 03, 2021 2:51 pm

Andy wrote:Over opinionated  writers such as Kelvin McKenzie and Katie Hopkins are now nowhere to be seen, and will(hopefully) never disgrace newspapers in the UK ever again.

You don’t quite get the point of my little story do you, Andy? Someone who is over opinionated in your eyes may well be regarded as being assertive, even if annoyingly so, in the eyes of someone else. And it certainly does not prove a bar to their being highly successful in their profession.

If you wish to engage with them you will just have to be equally assertive; if you don’t wish to read or HEAR their opinions, then don’t buy the newspaper they write for or turn off the radio or TV.

McKenzie, of course moved from editing, writing and broadcasting into the world of media management...and if he’s now “nowhere to be seen” the fact that he must be by now well into his seventies might well be a contributory factor.

Your bete noir Katie Hopkins (bete noir, I suspect, because of her proudly proclaimed far Right views which have gained her significant success in writing and broadcasting) may well be less evident now, but I can well see that major brain surgery to try to alleviate the severe epilepsy from which she suffers, and which cost her her chosen career as an army officer,  might well have had an impact.

Last edited by Fred Moletrousers on Mon May 03, 2021 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon May 03, 2021 2:58 pm

Syl wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

I remember all the scandal about the Milly Dowler voicemails Fred.
The News of the World folded almost overnight because of that.

Even Rupert Murdoch, who owned the NoW, was said to have been angered and appalled by what had happened and the resulting damage to his own reputation. He simply had no choice but to pull the plug on what was a very old and once respected title.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon May 03, 2021 3:43 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:
Andy wrote:Over opinionated  writers such as Kelvin McKenzie and Katie Hopkins are now nowhere to be seen, and will(hopefully) never disgrace newspapers in the UK ever again.

You don’t quite get the point of my little story do you, Andy? Someone who is over opinionated in your eyes may well be regarded as being assertive, even if annoyingly so, in the eyes of someone else. And it certainly does not prove a bar to their being highly successful in their profession.

Your bete noir Katie Hopkins (bete noir, I suspect, because of her proudly proclaimed far Right views which have gained her significant success in writing and broadcasting) may well be less evident now, but I can well see that major brain surgery to try to alleviate the severe epilepsy from which she suffers, and which cost her her chosen career as an army officer,  might well have had an impact.

Hopkins is an unemployed and unemployable bankrupt. She has burnt her bridges with her vile, racist views, has been sacked from every position,  she has held in the last 10 years  including The Sun, Mail, Mailonline, Rebel Media, LBC, and owes huges sums of money, especially to Jack Munroe.She has also been banned from most social media, including Facebook and Twitter for breaches of terms and conditions, due to her racist views. I'm not sure how that is showing significant success in ANY sort of career.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon May 03, 2021 6:33 pm

Andy wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Hopkins is an unemployed and unemployable bankrupt. She has burnt her bridges with her vile, racist views, has been sacked from every position,  she has held in the last 10 years  including The Sun, Mail, Mailonline, Rebel Media, LBC, and owes huges sums of money, especially to Jack Munroe.She has also been banned from most social media, including Facebook and Twitter for breaches of terms and conditions, due to her racist views. I'm not sure how that is showing significant success in ANY sort of career.

Well, her CV includes writing for both The Sun and Daily Mail - newspapers with enormous readerships; a couple of years with the extremely successful MailOnline; hosting her own TV talk show; broadcasting as a radio presenter, not to mention competing in The Apprentice and Celebrity Big Brother....

No-one can rack up such a record without having a personality and professional skills that made her a marketable commodity in the world of journalism and entertainment, whether or not she is now very much damaged goods, primarily because of her objectionable political and social views.

Can YOU claim to have achieved that much? I know that I can’t.

Love her or hate her (for the record she’s far too extreme and racist in her views for my liking) but Hopkins has certainly made her mark and has in the past achieved considerable fame and success, and a wide following...including yourself who hates all she stands for but still can’t resist talking about her!

Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon May 03, 2021 6:58 pm

I can say I have earned enormous respect amongst my current and former colleagues, have a great family, have a mortgage free house and no money worries..
She has few of these.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon May 03, 2021 8:16 pm

Andy wrote:I can say I have earned enormous  respect amongst  my current and former  colleagues, have a great family, have  a mortgage free house and no money worries..
She has few of these.

And I can say that I have all those, too. But it doesn’t mean that I hate Katie Hopkins and don’t feel a modicum of sympathy for her, bearing in mind the problems that she has faced in her life.

There but for the grace of God, and all that......
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon May 03, 2021 8:40 pm

I am not unsympathetic over her health issues, but have nothing but contempt  for her toxic views which have all but killed her career and cost her hundreds of thousands of pounds.  She knew the consequences  of what she was saying and doing,yet continued  regardless.
And despite being politically polar opposites, neither of us have spewed such outright extreme rabid racism .
She is the cockroach.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon May 03, 2021 9:07 pm

Andy wrote:I am not unsympathetic over her health issues, but have nothing but contempt  for her toxic views which have all but killed her career and cost her hundreds of thousands of pounds.  She knew the consequences  of what she was saying and doing,yet continued  regardless.
And despite being politically polar opposites,  neither of us have spewed such outright extreme rabid racism .
She is the cockroach.

I suppose that since I am at best (or perhaps in your case worst) centre Right, you really would have to be two paces to the Left of Pol Pot to be my “polar opposite”, but I still like to think that I’m enough of a tolerant human being to recognise what she was, accept what she now is...and feel sorry for what was probably the main reason for her failings.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

gelico likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon May 03, 2021 9:28 pm

I think we will have to agree to disagree about our thoughts on Flopkins ,but hopefully remain on civil terms.
Returning to the thread, I would still like to read a fact and news driven paper,free from bias and opinion , whose agenda is driven by seeking the truth, not what it's billionaire non domiciled or oligarch owner wanted published.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 04, 2021 12:20 am

Andy wrote:I am not unsympathetic over her health issues, but have nothing but contempt  for her toxic views which have all but killed her career and cost her hundreds of thousands of pounds.  She knew the consequences  of what she was saying and doing,yet continued  regardless.
And despite being politically polar opposites,  neither of us have spewed such outright extreme rabid racism .
She is the cockroach.

Are you sure?

It took less than 30 seconds to find just one of many hate filled posts you have made about her health issues.

"Druggie Flopkins now on Ketamine for her epilepsy.
It looks as if the operation she had to cure her seizure failed. This car crash of a woman (diffiicult to call her a journalist) just keeps ending up in bother.
A bit of advice for her. Dont take your tablets to Egypt.
Perhaps she should have had a full frontal labotomy. Wouldnt have fixed her epilepsy, but would have spared us from her hateful opinions."
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue May 04, 2021 6:37 am

My stalking troll is back, spending the night hours dredging the back pages of newsfix. Do you actually have anything to say about Hopkins, or is your only contribution going to be attacking another poster?
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Tue May 04, 2021 7:29 am

Andy wrote:My stalking troll is back, spending the night hours dredging the back pages of newsfix. Do you actually have anything to say about Hopkins, or is your only contribution  going to be attacking another poster?

Go wash the sand out of your vagina.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Syl likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Tue May 04, 2021 9:13 am

Andy wrote:I think we will have to agree to disagree  about our thoughts on Flopkins  ,but hopefully remain on civil terms.
Returning to  the thread,  I would still like to read a fact and news driven paper,free from bias and opinion , whose agenda is driven by seeking the truth, not what it's  billionaire non domiciled or oligarch owner wanted published.

Andy, why should newspapers NOT be allowed to show support for one faction or another in its editorial policy...something you dismiss as bias? The Mirror and Guardian are just as strong in their backing for Labour as are the Daily Mail and Daily Express in their editorial backing of the Conservative Party, and that is one of the reasons why their readers choose them. And whatever their stance they wouldn’t actually be newspapers if they weren’t, er, “news driven.”

Surely you don’t want to see a government controlled Press with ministers, civil servants and quangos controlling content on the grounds that it is “in the national interest” do you? I’d remind your that that is exactly the way dictatorships work. It’s certainly how the Nazi Party and its Ministry for Propaganda and Enlightenment worked!

Except in rare (and in my opinion completely unacceptable and possibly criminal circumstances) reporters in the reputable media don’t lie in what they write and broadcast.....but some interviewees certainly do, and that is why journalists are taught and expected to adhere to the old adages of “check, check, check again...” and “if in doubt find out or leave out.” Sometimes, however, they fail and a lie is unintentionally published.

Nor do I know any commentators (a different job to that of reporters) who deliberately lie...but they are entitled to express their own and personal opinions, and this is mainly where critics such as yourself generally cry “liar”... for no other reason that YOU don’t believe them.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue May 04, 2021 9:58 am

I never said they shouldn't post opinion or show bias, I said I would like to read a paper that only delivers facts and news.
This was a response to Eddies original post - what would I do as Editor? A hypothetical scenario, but a news and fact driven paper would fill a niche in the market that doesn't exist.
As you said, every paper has a political bias and agenda, normally what the owner tells the editor.
My paper would be unique and impartial.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Tue May 04, 2021 10:38 am

Andy wrote:I never said they shouldn't post opinion or show bias, I said I would like to read a paper that only delivers facts and news.
This was a response to Eddies original post - what would I do as Editor? A hypothetical scenario, but a news and fact driven paper would fill a niche in the market that doesn't exist.
As you said, every paper has a political bias and agenda, normally what the owner tells the editor.
My paper would be unique and impartial.

And it wouldn’t survive a month, Andy.

It’s been tried in the past, though I can’t remember the title....a provincial evening I believe. It set out with an editorial mission statement of “reporting only good news”, i.e what the owner and editor decided what was good news, in an attempt to counter all the bad news around at the time. Nowt else; nothing at all that might tend to give offence or which readers might find distressing, to quote the silly trigger messages that are now almost mandatory at the start of films and TV dramas.

The bad news for the editor and owner was that no—one bought the damn thing after the first few issues because it was, not to put too fine a point on it, about as interesting a read as the notorious 100+ pages of bureaucratic gobbledegook that the old Common Market produced as the new regulations for margarine production...something that I took great delight in including in my occasional lectures to journalism students at the University of Luton!

Readers buy papers for a number of reasons...news coverage, features, comment articles, pictures, gossip, sport ...your “ideal” paper might be ideal so far as you’re concerned, but don’t ask me to buy shares in it.

Final question on your nemesis...if you loathe Katie Hopkins as a personality with such virulence, why the hell do you obviously so avidly follow what she says, does and represents so much and insist on sharing your views with us so frequently? I don’t like the woman either, and that’s why I neither know nor care much about her, and had to resort to Wiki to check on just what makes you so obsessively angry.

It just ain’t good for you, buddy.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue May 04, 2021 11:54 am

Eddie's thread was hypothetical, my reply was too.
And I still think Flopkins is horrendous.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 04, 2021 12:00 pm

Andy wrote:My stalking troll is back, spending the night hours dredging the back pages of newsfix. Do you actually have anything to say about Hopkins, or is your only contribution  going to be attacking another poster?

Don't be ridiculous Andy.
30 seconds it took to find, it would probably take most people 20 as I am not that good at typing.  Razz
Don't try to rewrite history.

I have nothing to say about Hopkins, why should I, she isn't the topic of this thread.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue May 04, 2021 1:19 pm

Neither am I , but you have plenty to say about me.
And you haven't really engaged in the subject of the thread either.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue May 04, 2021 5:29 pm

Andy wrote:Neither am I , but you have plenty to say about me.
And you haven't really engaged in the subject of the thread either.

The thread was asking a question....which I have answered.

It isn't about Hopkins much as you would like it to be.

And I have little to say to you, but when you come out with ridiculous statements,  I will challenge them. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Maddog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue May 04, 2021 11:21 pm

For someone with little to say about me, you say an awful lot.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next