NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big smiles at UK scientists' latest prediction for summer

+5
Maddog
Original Quill
eddie
Syl
Ben Reilly
9 posters

Go down

Big smiles at UK scientists' latest prediction for summer Empty Big smiles at UK scientists' latest prediction for summer

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:17 pm

The public should be able to ditch face masks over the summer as vaccines do the heavy lifting in controlling COVID-19, experts have said.

Step four of the government's road map for England currently states all legal limits on social contact will be removed by 21 June at the earliest, when restrictions on large events such as festivals are also expected to ease.

Scientists advising the government say there is nothing currently in the data to suggest people will not be able to enjoy a relatively normal summer, though coronavirus cases may well rise as the autumn approaches.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-mask-free-summer-on-the-cards-as-vaccines-take-control-of-the-pandemic-say-experts-12284895

Big smiles at UK scientists' latest prediction for summer 1f637 Big smiles at UK scientists' latest prediction for summer 1f600
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Big smiles at UK scientists' latest prediction for summer Empty Re: Big smiles at UK scientists' latest prediction for summer

Post by Syl Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:37 pm

I really hope the masks will be able to be thrown away.

For me, it's not so much that they are hot and uncomfortable to wear, or even that it's sometimes hard to tell what people are saying because their mouths are muffled, , I can cope with that, but just not being able to interact with people properly, not seeing their faces, their expressions, etc, and they not being able to see you, I have found that quite hard.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Big smiles at UK scientists' latest prediction for summer Empty Re: Big smiles at UK scientists' latest prediction for summer

Post by eddie Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:41 pm

I wear one for work all day. I hate them. I’d love to ditch mine.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:52 pm

I'll be happy to see the end of masks. There's just something eerily apocalyptic about going into a grocery store and seeing everyone wearing a mask.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:02 pm

They steam up my glasses.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:04 pm

Original Quill wrote:They steam up my glasses.

My OH complains of that.
I don't wear glasses unless I am reading or similar, I really feel for people who have to wear them all the time.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:05 pm

Yall are all going to die.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:14 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:They steam up my glasses.

My OH complains of that.
I don't wear glasses unless I am reading or similar, I really feel for people who have to wear them all the time.

I never wore them 'til my early-40's. I attended one of those health fairs, and they told me I needed them. I was surprised, 'cause I never pictured myself with 'em.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:06 am

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

My OH complains of that.

I never wore them 'til my early-40's.  I attended one of those health fairs, and they told me I needed them.  I was surprised, 'cause I never pictured myself with 'em.

Do you need glasses for distance as well as reading?

I started wearing them, just for close work in my late 40's.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:11 am

Both now, but originally for distance.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:46 am

Original Quill wrote:Both now, but originally for distance.

So you were short sighted origionally? Presumably you wear varifocals.....saves swapping glasses around.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:35 am

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Both now, but originally for distance.

So you were  short sighted origionally? Presumably you wear varifocals.....saves swapping glasses around.

No. For years I had perfect, or 20-20 vision. Then my distant vision went bad, then afterward my near vision.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:53 am

I get confused...short sighted = long distance vision is weak.
Long sighted = need glasses for close work, like reading etc.

I am long sighted.....you unfortunately are both.

Course age plays a big part in deteriorating eyesight.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:23 pm

My daughter works at a college.

She told one non mask wearing student " You need yo wear a mask"
" Why should I!" Came thereply from the gobby student in front of his mask wearing mates.

Daughter...."Because you are ugly!".

Thats ma girl!
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:13 pm

Andy wrote:My daughter works at a college.

She told one non mask wearing student " You need yo wear a mask"
" Why should I!" Came thereply from the gobby student in front of his mask wearing mates.

Daughter...."Because you are ugly!".

Thats ma girl!

I was almost tempted to reply that the fact that your daughter found it ok to make nasty, spiteful, derogatory remark to someone with the sole purpose of trying to make them feel bad and herself feel good makes her a really shitty sort of person imo

but then i remembered that she had you as influence so what chance did the poor girl ever have of becoming a decent human being

sad what you've done to your own child

Evil or Very Mad

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:36 pm

Fuck off, the lad is a thug and bully, deliberately doesn't wear a wask, denies Covid , and is happy to breathe his toxic fumes over everyone. He has been barred from the college 3 times for non mask compliance.
Dont comment ,unless you know the whole story.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:41 pm

Andy wrote:Fuck off, the lad is a thug and bully,

he may well be and if that's the case he will no doubt get expelled via his own efforts. I'm sure he won't need your daughter slurping about in the gutter to help him achieve that. Also that thing that your daughter said,,,,,,that thing that you were so proud of,,,,,, that's EXACTLY the sort of thing bullies do.

deliberately doesn't wear a wask, denies Covid , and is happy to breathe his toxic fumes over everyone.

what that virus that has a 99.9% survival rate you mean?
that virus that the immune system, vitamin D etc is perfectly capable of coping with?
that virus that caused fewer people to die in 2020 than in 1990?

well! what a complete bastard!

He has been barred from the college 3 times for non mask compliance.

oooh, oooh and thrice ooooh
Dont comment ,unless you know the whole story.

I was commenting only on your post

i can only assume that your daughter is roughly the same age as the students and has the same stroppy immature mindset which would at least make it more understandable. but at best it's highly unprofessional and she needs to grow up

i know it's brutal and honestly if i put up a post about one of my kids and got told it was crap and implied i was a shit parent i would probably feel like i'd been whacked in the face with a shovel

but i stand by what i said, i would be horrified if my kids behaved like that towards other people

making a comment like that is nothing to do with covid and was clearly said with the intention of humiliating and degrading said student and trying to get a cheap laugh at his expense and score some kind of gleeful 'point'

but in fairness is it her fault?

it's what you do all the time so she learnt it from you

the apples never really fall that far from the tree

ps, i'll fuck off when i'm good and ready

Cool

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:21 pm

Hmmmm, hang on there Gels. I don’t really agree with you to be honest. Firstly, I don’t think Andy’s daughter was acting like a bully just by making that one comment. If I’m honest, and I felt like the boy was being a total wanker, I may have said something similar.

Secondly, why on earth would you criticise Andy’s parenting? You may not like him as a poster but you have no idea what he’s like as a parent.

I think you were a little out of order. It’s just my opinion but you really went for him, unjustly.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Original Quill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:22 pm

I also felt like that was an overreaction.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:33 am

Wearing glasses and masks is a bit of a bind but I've grown quite attached to my masks now, I feel a bit odd without a mask now.
I'm short sighted have been since secondary school, now of course I need reading glasses so its varifocals for me.
I thought that was a good come back for the chopsy kid.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:34 am

eddie wrote:Hmmmm, hang on there Gels. I don’t really agree with you to be honest. Firstly, I don’t think Andy’s daughter was acting like a bully just by making that one comment. If I’m honest, and I felt like the boy was being a total wanker, I may have said something similar.

I get it but that ''one comment'' was all i had to go on and I thought it was downright nasty. The boy in question may well be a total wanker but that's no excuse, especially from someone who works there. I'm not above snapping at someone myself but I'm damn sure I wouldn't be bragging about it.

Secondly, why on earth would you criticise Andy’s parenting? You may not like him as a poster but you have no idea what he’s like as a parent.

If you read, I also accept my own. I get that I'm no perfect parent. I get that my kids have probably only survived this long through sheer good fortune rather than good parenting. I understand that it doesn't sound nice but I mean it. The comment to the student had sod all to do with covid and was made with the sole intention of absuing him. is that fucking clever? I can't stand bullying especially from people who should know better.

I think you were a little out of order. It’s just my opinion but you really went for him, unjustly.

I probably was but i still feel the same

i'm not above apologising to anyone if i feel i've gone over the top but it's still my opinion

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:39 am

Vintage wrote:Wearing glasses and masks is a bit of a bind but I've grown quite attached to my masks now, I feel a bit odd without a mask now.

that;s so sad

Evil or Very Mad

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:05 am

Gels, one comment does not a bully make.
You are abusing that word here.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:13 am

eddie wrote:Gels, one comment does not a bully make.
You are abusing that word here.

You are entitled to your opinion, of course.

perhaps not - i never said it did

but making comments with the SOLE INTENTION of bringing down another person and making them feel small for your own gratification is definitely what bullies do. that's what i said

and clearly that's what the comment was for because there was no mention of covid with reference to the mask,,,,just ugliness

ii've worked with so many students and i get that they're stroppy and at times frustrating but they are also at that age incredibly self conscious and vulnerable as the next when it comes to nastiness

i'm done with this now

gelico
Forum Detective

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:58 am

The thug is about 18. He's an adult, not a hormonal14 year old. He is only 6 years  younger than my vulnerable  daughter,  who has already  had her first  jab.
And I have been basemented in the past for making lesser, personal attacks on posters.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:36 pm

Andy wrote:The thug is about 18. He's an adult, not a hormonal14 year old. He is only 6 years  younger than my vulnerable  daughter,  who has already  had her first  jab.
And I have been basemented in the past for making lesser, personal attacks on posters.

Maybe you have been basemented because you make a habit of it...Gels doesn't. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Maddog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:40 pm

Vic didn't like me and a few others........for our political leanings.
Too many times he basemented lefties for no other reason than they were arguing against posters whose politics he supported.
Many left wing posters quit as a result, never to return.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:44 pm

Andy wrote:Vic didn't like me and a few others........for our political leanings.
Too many times he basemented lefties for no other reason than they were arguing against posters whose politics he supported.

He always seemed pretty fair to me, though tbh I didn't have many dealings with him.
There are still some lefties on here, not extreme ones, but maybe that's for the best.
I have found that people with extreme views, be they right or left, north or south, are quite intolerant of others...better to be middle of the road of whomever you support and listen/hear everyone with an open mind.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:16 pm

Syl wrote:
Andy wrote:Vic didn't like me and a few others........for our political leanings.

He always seemed pretty fair to me, though tbh I didn't have many dealings with him.
There are still some lefties on here, not extreme ones, but maybe that's for the best.
I have found that people with extreme views, be they right or left, north or south, are quite intolerant of others...better to be middle of the road of whomever you support and listen/hear everyone with an open mind.

i don't like the fact that posters are seen for there 'political leanings' and labelled as left or right, it's ridiculous when most people are a mix.

if we are going on politics then i would say that ben, eddie, quill, jules, andy, les, are all more left than right. i support some left policies and some on the right as does didge and others. tommy gets the label of ''far right'' when in reality he isn't.

most people are just a mixture but human beings who have different opinions on different issues regardless of politics.

Rolling Eyes

gelico
Forum Detective

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Didgee Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:42 pm

So you only came back after he died?

I have fallen out with many people Andy

But its pointless

We have one life and yet you go off a person now dead?

As the reason you came back

How much hate do you actually hold mate?

Get over it, we have a short life and you being perpetually stuck with such tribalism solves nothing

You want to continue to hate or move on?

Didgee
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie and Maddog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:46 pm

Yes. Sassy was first among them. Sassy and Victor started Speak Freely, which Vic closed down because of a feud with Sassy. Then they reappeared here, and again Sassy leaves. I mention it because Sassy was a person who people rallied around; she took a load of lefties when she left (alliteration not intended).

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Andy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:50 pm

I think vic may have basemented me in the past, i can't remember.  i know i got a couple of sharp warnings from him about something or another.  I called him Lord Big Balls.  As I recall he was always fair and didn't hold grudges.

gelico
Forum Detective

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:51 pm

Didgee wrote:

So you only came back after he died?

I have fallen out with many people Andy

But its pointless

We have one life and yet you go off a person now dead?

As the reason you came back

How much hate do you actually hold mate?

Get over it, we have a short life and you being perpetually stuck with such tribalism solves nothing

You want to continue to hate or move on?

I  never left,  Didge, just got fed up with cycle of posting, getting banned by Vic, then getting released by Ben. It was like Groundhog Day.
I was posting here regularly when Vic passed away - I was amongst the first to post my commiserations.
There is only 1 poster I hold a grudge with, he rarely if ever posts on here or on his failed flop forum.
Andy
Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:12 pm

gelico wrote:I think vic may have basemented me in the past, i can't remember.  i know i got a couple of sharp warnings from him about something or another.  I called him Lord Big Balls.  As I recall he was always fair and didn't hold grudges.

He put me in time out too.

Andy likes to whine.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

gelico likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:25 pm

Maddog wrote:
gelico wrote:I think vic may have basemented me in the past, i can't remember.  i know i got a couple of sharp warnings from him about something or another.  I called him Lord Big Balls.  As I recall he was always fair and didn't hold grudges.

He put me in time out too.

Andy likes to whine.

Bullshit. Vic put you in the basement for a half a day.  Even I landed on him for that.  There was no cause.

When Ben saw what had happened, he lifted your sorry ass up out of the depths...made Vic restore you.  Other than that, you're the RW-profa hope around here.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:50 pm

well, being placed in the basement by a mod is a time out

whether its half an hour, half a day or longer

how was it bullshit?

gelico
Forum Detective

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:02 pm

gelico wrote:well, being placed in the basement by a mod is a time out

how was it bullshit?

I already told you: Even I opposed Vic doing that. It was a 'dick' move, and Ben turned it around. So, I doubt that Red was in the basement for more than an hour or two.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:11 pm

Original Quill wrote:
gelico wrote:well, being placed in the basement by a mod is a time out

how was it bullshit?

I already told you: Even I opposed Vic doing that.  It was a 'dick' move, and Ben turned it around.  So, I doubt that Red was in the basement for more than an hour or two.

It's irrelevant who opposed it or who turned it around

Vic gave Maddog a time out which was true and you said it was bullshit. that's all i was questioning.

it just confirms that vic was a fair minded person and didn't play favourites

and that's how i remember him

gelico
Forum Detective

eddie and Maddog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:52 pm

gelico wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I already told you: Even I opposed Vic doing that.  It was a 'dick' move, and Ben turned it around.  So, I doubt that Red was in the basement for more than an hour or two.

Vic gave Maddog a time out which was true and you said it was bullshit.  that's all i was questioning.

Um...but you forgot one thing. MD didn't deserve the time out. It was fake...phony... Ben had to intervene.

If you think that was "fair minded", I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell you. Vic was a great old guy, but he made mistakes.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:56 pm

Original Quill wrote:
gelico wrote:

Vic gave Maddog a time out which was true and you said it was bullshit.  that's all i was questioning.

Um...but you forgot one thing.  MD didn't deserve the time out.  It was fake...phony...  Ben had to intervene.

If you think that was "fair minded", I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell you.  Vic was a great old guy, but he made mistakes.

I was going to reply but realised you had replied for me in your last sentence

being fair minded (which i think he was) doesn't make you immune from making mistakes or ever being wrong about anything

they are two completely different things

if he wasn't fair minded he wouldn't have listened to ben

you think what you like though

gelico
Forum Detective

Syl and Maddog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:02 pm

Original Quill wrote:
gelico wrote:

Um...but you forgot one thing.  MD didn't deserve the time out.  It was fake...phony...  Ben had to intervene.

If you think that was "fair minded", I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell you.  Vic was a great old guy, but he made mistakes.

Everybody makes mistakes, if Vic was here I am sure he would agree...but he sadly isn't.

I doubt he, or any other mod would be swayed by posters hinting that so and so should be basemented, banned, publicly flogged... whatever..
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:03 pm

gelico wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I was going to reply but realised you had replied for me in your last sentence

being fair minded (which i think he was) doesn't make you immune from  making mistakes or ever being wrong about anything

they are two completely different things

if he wasn't fair minded he wouldn't have listened to ben

you think what you like though

No, I agree with you.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:05 pm

gelico wrote:
Syl wrote:

i don't like the fact that posters are seen for there 'political leanings' and labelled as left or right, it's ridiculous when most people are a mix.

if we are going on politics then i would say that ben, eddie, quill, jules, andy, les, are all more left than right.  i support some left policies and some on the right as does didge and others.  tommy gets the label of ''far right'' when in reality he isn't.

most people are just a mixture but human beings who have different opinions on different issues regardless of politics.

Rolling Eyes

I couldn't care less how far left or right anyone is as long as they don't judge everyone else for being/not being, the same as they are.
It's a very odd trait a minority of posters here seem to have.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

gelico likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:24 pm

Syl wrote:
gelico wrote:

if we are going on politics then i would say that ben, eddie, quill, jules, andy, les, are all more left than right.  i support some left policies and some on the right as does didge and others.  tommy gets the label of ''far right'' when in reality he isn't.

Rolling Eyes

I couldn't care less how far left or right anyone is as long as they don't judge everyone else for being/not being, the same as they are.

Some of the nicest, and best people I know are on the left of the political spectrum.

And so are some of the nastiest.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:34 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:

Some of the nicest, and best people I know are on the left of the political spectrum.

And so are some of the nastiest.  

Exactly.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:15 pm

I detest labels. I don’t wish to be called left or right (despite taking an online test that placed me further left than even Wolf).

It’s like being in a gang and it can also warp your view.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down