NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

U.K. Approves Clinical Trial That Will Deliberately Expose Volunteers to the COVID-19 Virus

+2
Syl
Maddog
6 posters

Go down

U.K. Approves Clinical Trial That Will Deliberately Expose Volunteers to the COVID-19 Virus Empty U.K. Approves Clinical Trial That Will Deliberately Expose Volunteers to the COVID-19 Virus

Post by Maddog Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:41 pm

Ninety healthy volunteers, aged 18 to 30, will be involved in the trial, which will begin in March. (The chances of someone in that age group dying of COVID-19 are estimated at around 1 in 14,000.) The volunteers will be closely watched in a controlled environment and will have access to immediate treatments for the disease. They will also be compensated with payments of around £4,500 ($6,300) over the course of a year.

If human challenge trials had been allowed earlier, they could have significantly sped up the development and deployment of COVID-19 vaccines, saving tens of thousands of lives and sparing millions the misery of illness.

https://reason.com/2021/02/18/u-k-approves-clinical-trial-that-will-deliberately-expose-volunteers-to-the-covid-19-virus/

Assuming you were young enough, would you do it?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

U.K. Approves Clinical Trial That Will Deliberately Expose Volunteers to the COVID-19 Virus Empty Re: U.K. Approves Clinical Trial That Will Deliberately Expose Volunteers to the COVID-19 Virus

Post by Guest Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:33 pm

Maddog wrote:Ninety healthy volunteers, aged 18 to 30, will be involved in the trial, which will begin in March. (The chances of someone in that age group dying of COVID-19 are estimated at around 1 in 14,000.) The volunteers will be closely watched in a controlled environment and will have access to immediate treatments for the disease. They will also be compensated with payments of around £4,500 ($6,300) over the course of a year.

If human challenge trials had been allowed earlier, they could have significantly sped up the development and deployment of COVID-19 vaccines, saving tens of thousands of lives and sparing millions the misery of illness.

(Link removed as i cant post/include links in posts or replies for 7 days)

Yea i saw an advert for this trial on face book and had a quick look £4,500 to play Russian roulette with your life ......i would do it for say 5 million, but £4,500....hard pass for me

Back to top Go down

U.K. Approves Clinical Trial That Will Deliberately Expose Volunteers to the COVID-19 Virus Empty Re: U.K. Approves Clinical Trial That Will Deliberately Expose Volunteers to the COVID-19 Virus

Post by Guest Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:38 pm

I would add that many people are siting a link between Vitamin D and covid resistance if that is born out my chances of contracting it are low anyway as i am a natural red head we have some "super powers" others dont have because of the gene that makes people red heads

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:26 pm

Korben wrote:I would add that many people are siting a link between Vitamin D and covid resistance if that is born out my chances of contracting it are low anyway as i am a natural red head we have some "super powers" others dont have because of the gene that makes people red heads

I wonder if there is a marked difference from catching the virus between people who live in hotter climes as opposed to people who dont?
The sun is a natural way of absorbing vitamin D, so if it does provide covid risistance there should be.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:29 pm

Maddog wrote:Ninety healthy volunteers, aged 18 to 30, will be involved in the trial, which will begin in March. (The chances of someone in that age group dying of COVID-19 are estimated at around 1 in 14,000.) The volunteers will be closely watched in a controlled environment and will have access to immediate treatments for the disease. They will also be compensated with payments of around £4,500 ($6,300) over the course of a year.

https://reason.com/2021/02/18/u-k-approves-clinical-trial-that-will-deliberately-expose-volunteers-to-the-covid-19-virus/

Nope I wouldn't.
I know every new drug needs guinea pigs for trials before it can be marketed, but I have never been brave enough or poor enough to be tempted by any amount of compensation.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

eddie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:31 pm

Vitamin D deficiency is common in blacks, who coincidentally have a high vulnerability rate when it comes to Covid.  The Journal of Nutrition notes:

The Journal of Nutrition wrote:Vitamin D insufficiency is more prevalent among African Americans (blacks) than other Americans and, in North America, most young, healthy blacks do not achieve optimal 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] concentrations at any time of year. This is primarily due to the fact that pigmentation reduces vitamin D production in the skin. Also, from about puberty and onward, median vitamin D intakes of American blacks are below recommended intakes in every age group, with or without the inclusion of vitamin D from supplements. Despite their low 25(OH)D levels, blacks have lower rates of osteoporotic fractures.

Furthermore, it is becoming increasingly apparent that vitamin D protects against other chronic conditions, including cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and some cancers, all of which are as prevalent or more prevalent among blacks than whites. Clinicians and educators should be encouraged to promote improved vitamin D status among blacks (and others) because of the low risk and low cost of vitamin D supplementation and its potentially broad health benefits.

https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/136/4/1126/4664238

A study by the University of Minnesota, Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), has found that in the US, blacks are three times more likely than whites to get COVID-19:

CIDRAP wrote:Black Americans are infected with COVID-19 at nearly three times the rate of white Americans, according to a new document from the National Urban League. The report, based on data from Johns Hopkins University, also shows black Americans are twice as likely to die from the virus.

According to the "State of Black America," the infection rate for blacks is 62 per 10,000, compared with 23 per 10,000 for whites. Latinos see even more infections: 73 per 10,000.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/08/us-blacks-3-times-more-likely-whites-get-covid-19

A connection?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:47 pm

Syl wrote:

Nope I wouldn't.
I know every new drug needs guinea pigs for trials before it can be marketed, but I have never been brave enough or poor enough to be tempted by any amount of compensation.

57 year old me says I wouldn't do it if I were younger.

But I remember 21 year old me. I probably would do it for bragging rights.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:46 am

The mindset certainly changes as we get older, plus we are obviously invincible when we are young.

Though I doubt I would have done it at any age.

Last edited by Syl on Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:11 am

Syl wrote:The mindset certainly changes as we get older, plus we are obviously invincible when we are young.

But aren't you glad that there are people that will?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:18 am

Original Quill wrote:Vitamin D deficiency is common in blacks, who coincidentally have a high vulnerability rate when it comes to Covid.  The Journal of Nutrition notes:

The Journal of Nutrition wrote:Vitamin D insufficiency is more prevalent among African Americans (blacks) than other Americans and, in North America, most young, healthy blacks do not achieve optimal 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] concentrations at any time of year. This is primarily due to the fact that pigmentation reduces vitamin D production in the skin. Also, from about puberty and onward, median vitamin D intakes of American blacks are below recommended intakes in every age group, with or without the inclusion of vitamin D from supplements. Despite their low 25(OH)D levels, blacks have lower rates of osteoporotic fractures.

Furthermore, it is becoming increasingly apparent that vitamin D protects against other chronic conditions, including cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and some cancers, all of which are as prevalent or more prevalent among blacks than whites. Clinicians and educators should be encouraged to promote improved vitamin D status among blacks (and others) because of the low risk and low cost of vitamin D supplementation and its potentially broad health benefits.

https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/136/4/1126/4664238

A study by the University of Minnesota, Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), has found that in the US, blacks are three times more likely than whites to get COVID-19:

CIDRAP wrote:Black Americans are infected with COVID-19 at nearly three times the rate of white Americans, according to a new document from the National Urban League. The report, based on data from Johns Hopkins University, also shows black Americans are twice as likely to die from the virus.

According to the "State of Black America," the infection rate for blacks is 62 per 10,000, compared with 23 per 10,000 for whites. Latinos see even more infections: 73 per 10,000.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/08/us-blacks-3-times-more-likely-whites-get-covid-19

A connection?

Black's are more likely to live in big cities where the virus is more prevalent... So you can't compare figures per 10,000 across the whole of the country.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:48 pm

Maddog wrote:
Syl wrote:The mindset certainly changes as we get older, plus we are obviously invincible when we are young.

But aren't you glad that there are people that will?  

Yes I am. Whether they do it for the money or to help mankind, they are all bloody heroic in my eyes.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:06 pm

Another point this article brings up is should this have been done almost a year ago?

These vaccines were developed in March of last year but because there were no tests like this until now it took almost 9 months for approval.

How many lives could have been saved if we has started vaccines in July?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:10 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Vitamin D deficiency is common in blacks, who coincidentally have a high vulnerability rate when it comes to Covid.  The Journal of Nutrition notes:

A connection?

Black's are more likely to live in big cities where the virus is more prevalent... So you can't compare figures per 10,000 across the whole of the country.

Well, we are dealing strictly with hypotheticals here, so that's a factor to fold into the analysis.  Certainly, racism causes ghettos, and the 'center-city' life.  So, a competing hypothesis to the Vitamin D factor would be:

'racism >> ghettos >> {high population density + infectious diseases} = higher death rate for blacks'

But I think a combination of the two, along with other things, might also be confirmed.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:32 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

Well, we are dealing strictly with hypotheticals here, so that's a factor to fold into the analysis.  Certainly, racism causes ghettos, and the 'center-city' life.  So, a competing hypothesis to the Vitamin D factor would be:

'racism >> ghettos >> {high population density + infectious diseases} = higher death rate for blacks'

But I think a combination of the two, along with other things, might also be confirmed.

I think it's a matter of folks with more melanin needing more time outside to get the same amount of vitamin D.

The modern western lifestyle is far too centered around indoor activities.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:29 pm

It's worth noting that people with darker skin originally come from places with a lot of sunlight naturally, i.e. closer to the equator. Lighter-skinned people like whites and East Asians adapted to areas with less sunlight, as lighter skin allows the body to generate more Vitamin D.

On a documentary called the Human Family Tree, they showed how a nomadic tribe that originated as lighter-skinned Arabic group migrated south in Africa and eventually became as black as the native people, within 300-500 years, and without much mixing with black Africans.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:30 pm

Back on topic, if I was in that age group, I'd probably volunteer for this study. I've always handled viruses pretty well and I actually think that even now, I'd probably handle Covid fairly well.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:58 pm

Of I were single and young, then perhaps, as I’m rarely ill, but if I had a family, then definitely not!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:06 pm

eddie wrote:Of I were single and young, then perhaps, as I’m rarely ill, but if I had a family, then definitely not!
eddie is that you in the avatar if so is that your natural hair colour ? . i ask because i am rarely ill as well and always suspected it had something to do with the Gene the gives people red hair and the extra "super powers" we of the flame hair seem to have ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:09 pm

That's really her, but not her natural colour (which is more of a honey blonde). She dyes it pretty often; since I've known her it's been honey blonde, bright red, purple and now a nice dark red.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:24 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:That's really her, but not her natural colour (which is more of a honey blonde). She dyes it pretty often; since I've known her it's been honey blonde, bright red, purple and now a nice dark red.
Cheers Ben well it certainly suits her if i may be so bold. so not a super power then just a good immune system Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:27 pm

Korben wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:That's really her, but not her natural colour (which is more of a honey blonde). She dyes it pretty often; since I've known her it's been honey blonde, bright red, purple and now a nice dark red.
Cheers Ben well it certainly suits her if i may be so bold. so not a super power then just a good immune system Laughing

Thanks Korben, I get bored of hair very quickly so often change hair colour. I do have a pretty good immune system for colds, sickness bugs etc. I have an auto-immune disease called Graves Disease, it’s basically an overactive thyroid, it’s been in remission for a good few years now though, touch wood.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down