NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Have you gotten the coronavirus jab? Will you get it when it becomes available?

+6
eddie
Original Quill
Maddog
Syl
Tommy Monk
Ben Reilly
10 posters

Go down

Have you gotten the coronavirus jab? Will you get it when it becomes available?  Empty Have you gotten the coronavirus jab? Will you get it when it becomes available?

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:22 am

I will get it, but I don't expect it to be available to young whippersnappers like me for some time Cool
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Have you gotten the coronavirus jab? Will you get it when it becomes available?  Empty Re: Have you gotten the coronavirus jab? Will you get it when it becomes available?

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:39 am

No not had it... No won't be getting it.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Have you gotten the coronavirus jab? Will you get it when it becomes available?  Empty Re: Have you gotten the coronavirus jab? Will you get it when it becomes available?

Post by Syl Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:46 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

No not had it... No won't be getting it.

Are you an anti vaxxer or are you just so convinced that you have had this particular virus so you don't actually need this particular vaccination?

My opinion is anti vaxxers who try to persuade others that vaccines are dangerous are themselves dangerous fools.

Also, scientific opinion now seems to be once having Covid19 will not prevent you in the future from catching it again, passing it on, becoming ill....or worse dead.

In answer to the OP....yep, as soon as I am offered I will be there with my sleeve rolled up. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:56 pm

I'm not an "anti vaxxer" as such... If I was going to go somewhere in the world where there was a high risk of catching a really nasty virus/disease, and there was a vaccine available that would protect me from contracting it, then I would very likely get it before traveling.

I've already had covid19 (was a bit rough for a few days, just like the flu, and a bastard sore throat for a few days after that, and then a couple more weeks to feel back to full strength) so I think I'll be fine without the need for any vaccine.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:28 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

I'm not an "anti vaxxer" as such... If I was going to go somewhere in the world where there was a high risk of catching a really nasty virus/disease, and there was a vaccine available that would protect me from contracting it, then I would very likely get it before traveling.

I've already had covid19 (was a bit rough for a few days, just like the flu, and a bastard sore throat for a few days after that, and then a couple more weeks to feel back to full strength) so I think I'll be fine without the need for any vaccine.

Have you been tested for antibodies. I've had a few friends that thought they had it last spring (I thought I did too) that have been tested.  If they  (and I) actually had it, their immunity is long gone as they don't have antibodies.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:52 pm

And I'll get the shot. Because I'm even more invincible than I was before, because I've had it, I'm in no hurry.

Not that it would matter if I was. I'm under 65.and don't have any serious health issues beyond some question about my mental fitness.

A lot of my healthcare friends have had their 2nd shot and I know of a few over 65s that have had their first.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:10 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

There are diseases now that people have to prove they have been vaccinated against before they are allowed in certain countries, I can see Covid19 being added to that list in future,  and I don't think that's a bad thing.

If people are too stupid to accept vaccinations that prevent this sort of disease killing millions and ruining economies, then they must accept limitations to their liberties imo.

London has now been declared to be in a state of emergency due to the NHS being completely overwhelmed with Covid patients.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:35 pm

I will get it, once I'm convinced it is safe. It was rushed into service so quickly, and haphazardly, that I'm not convinced mistakes were not made.

If, at the end of the first wave, no complications materialize, then I will get it. A working, reliable vaccine is essential to a healthy public.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:38 pm

Original Quill wrote:I will get it, once I'm convinced it is safe.  It was rushed into service so quickly, and haphazardly, that I'm not convinced mistakes were not made.

If, at the end of the first wave, no complications materialize, then I will get it.  A working, reliable vaccine is essential to a healthy public.

Make sure your servant gets it. You can just stay holed up while you send her into crowded stores.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:51 pm

I'm getting it not so much for myself, because I tend to fend pretty well with viral infections and don't get sick very often anyway, but because I want this pandemic over and done with and the more people who are immune, the better -- the less chance for the virus to spread.

For all I know, I may have had the virus last January, or even had an asymptomatic infection since then (asymptomatic carriers apparently still create antibodies). I just want to make sure I don't help the virus spread.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:55 pm

I won’t be getting it.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:14 am

Syl wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

There are diseases now that people have to prove they have been vaccinated against before they are allowed in certain countries, I can see Covid19 being added to that list in future,  and I don't think that's a bad thing.

If people are too stupid to accept vaccinations that prevent this sort of disease killing millions and ruining economies, then they must accept limitations to their liberties imo.

London has now been declared to be in a state of emergency due to the NHS being completely overwhelmed with Covid patients.

There is nowhere that I want to go to that I am not allowed to do so because of any requirement to have any vaccine.

And here in UK we don't disallow anyone from entry for a whole range of infectious viruses/diseases through any screening program or any proof of vaccine...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:18 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Syl wrote:

There is nowhere that I want to go to that I am not allowed to do so because of any requirement to have any vaccine.

And here in UK we don't disallow anyone from entry for a whole range of infectious viruses/diseases through any screening program or any proof of vaccine...

We are in this country pretty lax in the way we have allowed travellers to come and go, I think since this pandemic appeared rules may change in future.

At long last, starting next week, the government is introducing mandatory, pre-departure testing for people travelling into the UK. So passengers arriving in England by boat, train or plane – including UK nationals – will have to take a test up to 72 hours before leaving the country of departure.

If you do holiday or travel abroad in the future, it seems that airlines, cruise lines, etc, may require proof of vaccination before allowing you to travel.

"If the vaccine does stop those who have it spreading coronavirus, it seems likely some countries will ultimately make it mandatory for entry. Similarly, some airlines and cruise companies may only allow passage to those with the vaccine."

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2021-01-08/gatwick-airport-welcomes-mandatory-covid-testing-before-travellers-enter-uk

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/12/will-i-need-a-coronavirus-vaccine-to-fly-or-travel-in-2021/
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:48 pm

Only 14 months too late...

And it won't be the vaccine that will stop the spread... It will have run its course through everyone soon...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:56 pm

The vaccine will help stop the spread and will definitely lessen the deaths and the level of serious side effects millions are suffering with.

Yes coronavirus would eventually run its course without vaccinations, unfortunately with millions more dead than need be.

People make their choice....you have made yours, but imo you are foolhardy in the way you promote your views to others, some who may even believe your...what's the word you favour........Bullshit?? Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:55 pm

I only speak the truth... And I can always back up what I say with evidence and logical/reasoned argument.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:14 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:I'm getting it not so much for myself, because I tend to fend pretty well with viral infections and don't get sick very often anyway, but because I want this pandemic over and done with and the more people who are immune, the better -- the less chance for the virus to spread.

For all I know, I may have had the virus last January, or even had an asymptomatic infection since then (asymptomatic carriers apparently still create antibodies). I just want to make sure I don't help the virus spread.

Go get tested for antibodies.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:17 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

I only speak the truth... And I can always back up what I say with evidence and logical/reasoned argument.

Come on Tommy. You haven't run any tests or trials therefore you don't have any evidence.

The people with actual evidence have come to different conclusions than you.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:34 pm

No... But I can see the figures and do basic maths...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:49 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:No... But I can see the figures and do basic maths...

Now well, tom. All the data lean into the vaccine and controlling the spread. You are cherry-picking facts to build your own argument, not doing "basic math".

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:59 pm

You might want to check out the other thread... A little while ago I used some of the latest official/govt figures to back up my points...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:08 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:You might want to check out the other thread... A little while ago I used some of the latest official/govt figures to back up my points...

Let me rephrase that for you:

Tommy Monk wrote:A little while ago I cherry-picked some of the latest official/govt figures to back up my points...

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:20 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

If you speak the truth you are implying that all the experts and scientists are wrong, which is obviously ridiculous.

This thread is about the vaccination, though the scientists and experts may contradict themselves about other issues concerning this virus, none of them have argued against the majority of people taking the vaccine when it's offered.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:24 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

No... But I can see the figures and do basic maths...

No you cant.
Not long ago you were arguing that Coronavirus was less dangerous than the flu, less people had had it and less people had died of it.
Now amazingly, according to you half the country have been infected and the government, the ONS and the WHO all have their facts and figures wrong. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:27 pm

Waffle ..

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:30 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Waffle ..

Fibber. Twisted Evil
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:04 pm

No fibbing... Youre just twisting because you can't accept the maths...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:48 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

i haven't twisted anything.
This thread is about the vaccination, what is waffle in the post I made here.

You wrote...

I replied...

If you speak the truth you are implying that all the experts and scientists are wrong, which is obviously ridiculous.

This thread is about the vaccination, though the scientists and experts may contradict themselves about other issues concerning this virus, none of them have argued against the majority of people taking the vaccine when it's offered.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:32 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:I will get it, but I don't expect it to be available to young whippersnappers like me for some time Cool

I most likely will.
Seems there are several brands on the market though.  UK jabs, US ones, German ones etc, each one is different.

The Queen and her husband got theirs today - but I don't think the home-grown vaccine is quite ready yet. I assume they had an imported one?

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:00 am

Syl wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

i haven't twisted anything.
This thread is about the vaccination, what is waffle in the post I made here.

You wrote...

I replied...

I used the official/govt/experts figures, the figures YOU posted up, to back up my argument about the likely total number of UK cases so far.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:37 pm

This thread is about the vaccination, the other thread is about the infection figures. You made this reply in response to my post about the vaccination.

"I only speak the truth... And I can always back up what I say with evidence and logical/reasoned argument."

I think it's you who is twisting things so you can keep trying to brainwash people into believing your dodgy calculations.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:55 pm

I've asked Ben and Tommy about this.

Are tests for antibodies not a available over there?

It would put to rest the "I already had it" argument.
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Didgee Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:08 pm

Not vaccinated yet but I will when its my turn

Anyone refusing is simple being selfish and ignorant, because this is not simple about you but everyone

By vaccinating you help create a herd immunity for the people who are unable to be vaccinated. Due to specific conditions they have

If you think this is about you, then you are not caring about the fact your life is only functional by the function of millions of others

We work as a unit to provide, health care, food, resources etc for all humans. Not just for one indibvidual

So stop being stupid and think about others more than yourself

Didgee
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

nicko and Syl like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:37 pm

So if this was smallpox with a mortality rate of about 30% would people like Tommy not bother to have the vaccination due to the 70% survival rate, after all that doesn't sound too bad does it? (provided you don't get it or are a survivor).

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:21 pm

Government advice now to curtail the spread is act as if you have the virus yourself, ie keep away from people, social distance, and keep yourself to yourself, or in your own bubble.
Unfortunately it seems that some people just don't care what they spread or to who.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:11 am

Maddog... I already answered... Many people have had covid19 but don't have antibodies because their immune systems T cells did the job of fighting off the virus.

There is no govt provided antibody testing scheme here in UK for the general public... Although it is possible to buy an antibody test from numerous places online.

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:48 pm

In parts of S/E England, 1 in 16 people are now thought to be infected.
In a couple of weeks that will have spread throughout the country and the rates will be higher.
Thousands of people died of Covid in the UK last week alone. Those figures are set to rise to over 1000 a day according to the experts.

Last edited by Syl on Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:17 pm

I have just reread your OP post Tommy, wrong on SO many levels, not just your calculation of the figures.

"We are not talking about smallpox here, or the plague or ebola etc... We are talking about a version of the common cold virus that for nearly 99.9% of people it causes either no symptoms or mild/moderate symptoms much like influenza causes."

Smallpox was eradicated decades ago. Thanks to a vaccine.

The plague is now easily treated with antibiotics and in todays world very few people still die of the plague.

How many people died of ebola in the UK?

You compare Covid19 to the common cold, how many people die of the common cold?
Not long ago (though you deny it now) you were comparing Covid19 to the flu, and insisting it was no more dangerous and more people will die annually of the flu than they will of corona.

I haven't seen you retract that statement anywhere. scratch
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:36 pm

Bump for Tommy.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:44 pm

Wrong thread...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:22 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Wrong thread...

I will translate that to mean you have no answers. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:12 pm

If you like... you seem to have a habit lately of not being able to understanding what I'm saying...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:02 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

If you like... you seem to have a habit lately of not being able to understanding what I'm saying...

I understand perfectly.
I also understand you  never answer questions if they dont fit into your remit.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Original Quill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:55 am

You posted your "questions" on the wrong thread...

And your "questions" show you misunderstand what I said...

But in fact, you only asked 2 actual questions... And the answers are...

1. Zero

2. I don't have a number for yearly deaths from a common cold but...

"...viruses responsible for common cold symptoms can be serious in some people. Complications from a cold can cause serious illnesses and, yes, even death..."

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:52 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

You posted your "questions" on the wrong thread...

And your "questions" show you misunderstand what I said...

But in fact, you only asked 2 actual questions... And the answers are...

1. Zero

2. I don't have a number for yearly deaths from a common cold but...

"...viruses responsible for common cold symptoms can be serious in some people. Complications from a cold can cause serious illnesses and, yes, even death..."

I can easily post it in the 'correct' thread if you like, but my post does have connections to this thread anyway.

You said...."We are not talking about smallpox here, or the plague or ebola etc... We are talking about a version of the common cold virus that for nearly 99.9% of people it causes either no symptoms or mild/moderate symptoms much like influenza causes."

Smallpox, a deadly disease that killed millions, similar to how this present infection is going, has been completely eradicated, if a vaccination hadn't been found, alternatively if people hadn't been vaccinated, the probability is we wouldn't be here now.

Eboli....you implied this Coronavirus was not as dangerous, not one person died from ebola in the UK,  a fraction died globally compared to Covid19.

Comparing this infection to the common cold is frankly ridiculous.
Last time you compared it to flu, insisting the flu was more deadly and killed more people annually.

You never admit it when you make a mistake Tommy, we all do from time to time, no shame in owning it. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:01 pm

Still wrong thread...

And what mistakes have I made...?

My statement is factually correct... However, your interpretation of it is confused...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:08 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Still wrong thread...

And what mistakes have I made...?

My statement is factually correct... However, your interpretation of it is confused...

OK. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:21 pm

I've now had my first one, and with absolutely no after effects.My partner has had her second one...and had a week of rather nasty side effects such as vaccination site pain and swelling, muscle aches and fatigue.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:37 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:I've now had my first one, and with absolutely no after effects.My partner has had her second one...and had a week of rather nasty side effects such as vaccination site pain and swelling, muscle aches and fatigue.

I hope she's doing better now. Just like the virus itself, the vaccination will have a variety of effects depending on the person.

I'd still rather be feeling bad for a while and end up innoculated than not be innoculated and have to deal with a full-blown infection.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down