NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coronavirus and libertarianism

4 posters

Go down

Coronavirus and libertarianism Empty Coronavirus and libertarianism

Post by Ben Reilly Sat May 02, 2020 10:37 pm

We've all probably seen a lot of libertarian and conservative types in America arguing that the government has no right to lockdown the economy, restrict freedom of assembly, etc. in the name of protecting us from a disease. 

I actually take on all these arguments and I would agree with them if Covid-19 wasn't so deadly and contagious, but that's not really what I want to discuss. Instead, I'd like to bring up the phrase that's often cited as the heart of the libertarian philosophy, and it's one I definitely agree with:

"Your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose."

Or to put it differently, the only reason your right to do whatever you want should be curtailed is if it puts others in danger.

Now, can libertarians not see that they're not the only ones who have rights?

As much as I hate it that your (and my!) right to move about freely has been curtailed, do you not realize that I (and you!) also have the right to life? 

That if we're crowded against one another in public, we're both swinging our fists dangerously close to one another's noses, and that it only takes a slip-up to unknowingly infect someone with a dangerous, deadly disease?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Coronavirus and libertarianism Empty Re: Coronavirus and libertarianism

Post by eddie Sat May 02, 2020 10:44 pm

Well said. At the end if the day we are protecting the vulnerable.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat May 02, 2020 10:52 pm

and in most cases the restrictions imposed dont actually threaten anyones life.....
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Sat May 02, 2020 11:19 pm

Welp all the sheriffs in my state have said they won’t enforce penalties stated by the governor. I could possibly be opening the library in 2 weeks if everything is in place for staff protection (and kudos to my boss and the admin manager for working their asses off on this) but I’m not a happy a bunny. A very scared bunny because most of our patrons are all about their “Constitutional Rights Dammit”.

I really hate this country right now.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down