NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Brother

+2
SEXY MAMA
Eilzel
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My Brother - Page 2 Empty My Brother

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

17th February 2014

Went to look at courses at the Open University today...

...and if you're in England a degree course costs £5,250ish - if you're in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales it only costs £1510 - £2,815.

That's per year - 120 points.

Please discuss.

Back to top Go down

My Brother - Page 2 Empty Re: My Brother

Post by Eilzel Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:09 pm

Yes we are being discriminated against- because our Westminster government is run by conservative RWers- don't grumble though if you voted for them- had the Conservatives not won, the fees wouldn't have risen.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:11 pm

gerber wrote:
eddie wrote:

Ah right. That's kind of what I was getting at. If you apply to go to Uni in Scotland, but live in England, you still have to pay English fees, even though you're moving and studying in Scotland?
That doesn't seem right....?

Morning Eddie

Son has to pay full wack.  we the English are being discriminated against

The English aren't being discriminated against. You could say that people who live in England are, but maybe people in Scotland lose out in other ways because of the allocation of money?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:12 pm

That's bloody spot on Eilzel, what Westminster does with the English allocation is completely up to them, Scotland has nothing to do with that or any control over it whatsoever, have told numerous RW posters if they have a grudge or complaint then they need to see David Cameron.

That's what happens when some vote Conservatitve.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:13 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
gerber wrote:

Morning Eddie

The English aren't being discriminated against. You could say that people who live in England are, but maybe people in Scotland lose out in other ways because of the allocation of money?

I nearly fainted! Shocked 

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:15 pm

Joy Division wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I nearly fainted! Shocked 

Why?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:18 pm

Irn Bru wrote:I read that thread by Tess and it appears to have ended up as an own goal Laughing
Try reading the whole thread. It was a joke, you miserable bunch of commie bastards.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:36 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Morning Eddie. He must live there now obviously, but I presumed he was living in England at the time of applying. I don't actually know though.  Razz 

Ah right. That's kind of what I was getting at. If you apply to go to Uni in Scotland, but live in England, you still have to pay English fees, even though you're moving and studying in Scotland?

That's all i'm shocked at eddie.

It appears that Salmond has been thinking long and hard about it too - he's been consulting lawyers about a yes vote - if there's a yes vote you would assume that England is then "just another EU country" and therefore would get free university places the same as 20-odd other EU countries - but he still wants English kids to pay.

Bitterness? Discrimination? Hate? Small-country syndrome?

Please discuss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:28 pm

Irn Bru wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Laughing 

Seriously though, a degree is a luxury really. Schooling is free, so they've had free education for years. It depends on the degree of course, but they're often not that useful really.

I agree and I would rather see more of the tuition fees system being made available to fund more craft apprenticeships because we seem to be rather short on those skills in this country.

I absolutely agree with this Irn My Brother - Page 2 Thumb104

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:43 pm

gerber wrote:
eddie wrote:

Morning Eddie

He lives in Scotland and studies here but has to pay English fees? That's not quite right Gerbs is it??  Neutral 
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:45 pm

eddie wrote:
gerber wrote:

Morning Eddie

He lives in Scotland and studies here but has to pay English fees? That's not quite right Gerbs is it??  Neutral 

His home address is in England Eds; the fees are based on where you live (prior to going to Uni), not where your University is based and where you will be living.

A similar situation occurs with EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance) in Wales. If a family living in Wales sends their child to a college in Wrexham their child is entitled to EMA; but if a family living down the road in England sends their child to the same school they don't get anything- I stress 'living in' as it is nothing to do with being Welsh or English etc; simply your home address.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:03 pm

feelthelove wrote:
Irn Bru wrote:

I agree and I would rather see more of the tuition fees system being made available to fund more craft apprenticeships because we seem to be rather short on those skills in this country.

Guys and Gals

i agree 100% re apprenticeships. Have always been damming re all go to uni when they will not be learning the correct skill, but Son has to go to get the qualifications required. It is not possible to these days to acquire the skill set needed in his chosen profession without such a degree course followed by the MA - the least needed for success, most likely a PHD as well.

How can I mortgage my headstone  Neutral 
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:10 pm

Eilzel wrote:
eddie wrote:

His home address is in England Eds; the fees are based on where you live (prior to going to Uni), not where your University is based and where you will be living.

A similar situation occurs with EMA (Education Maintenance Allowance) in Wales. If a family living in Wales sends their child to a college in Wrexham their child is entitled to EMA; but if a family living down the road in England sends their child to the same school they don't get anything- I stress 'living in' as it is nothing to do with being Welsh or English etc; simply your home address.

Well,that's just bloody stupid Gerbs!!! Surely it should be based on where his uni is and where he currently lives!!!!!
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:14 pm

eddie wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Well,that's just bloody stupid Gerbs!!! Surely it should be based on where his uni is and where he currently lives!!!!!

If that were the case Eds we'd probably have too many applying for Unis in Wales and Scotland, and a massive drop in England. It is a skewed system though; and it is skewed because our government cares much less about education at University level than the devolved governments in Wales and Scotland.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:34 pm

Eilzel wrote:
eddie wrote:

If that were the case Eds we'd probably have too many applying for Unis in Wales and Scotland, and a massive drop in England. It is a skewed system though; and it is skewed because our government cares much less about education at University level than the devolved governments in Wales and Scotland.

Oh I know why they're doing it les, just doesn't really make much sense.
I'm going to practise eating deep fried stuff and become Scortish then my kids will get cheap education!
Irn and JD will vouch for me  Cool 

eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:51 pm

eddie wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

I'm going to practise eating deep fried stuff and become Scortish then my kids will get cheap education!

Do you fancy joining me for a Glasgow salad for tea....................

Deep fried Mars bar and chips with a vinegar dressing.......
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:53 pm

Eilzel wrote:
eddie wrote:

Our government?

But somebody said every other country gets the EU to pay for them to go to Scotland?

Now, I don't know whether that is true - it just sounds ridiculous.

Anybody know?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:55 pm

Yes, as I thought:

Re: My Brother
Post by Sassy on 17th February 2014, 11:48 pm

Because the EU pays the universities for it. And the government don't give a toss for you and yours. Haven't you twigged that yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:35 pm

gerber wrote:
feelthelove wrote:

Guys and Gals

i agree 100% re apprenticeships.  Have always been damming  re all go to uni when they will not be learning the correct skill, but Son has to go to get the qualifications required.  It is not possible to these days to acquire the skill set needed in his chosen profession without such a degree course followed by the MA  - the least needed for success, most likely a PHD as well.  

How can I mortgage my headstone   Neutral 

Aww Gerber, is it that bad?  Sad Apprenticeships are rare now unfortunately, there should be more support for the training of skilled workers.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:51 pm

gerber wrote:
eddie wrote:

Do you fancy joining me for a Glasgow salad for tea....................

Deep fried Mars bar and chips with a vinegar dressing.......

Why does that actually sound nice?  Neutral 
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2