NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Brother

+2
SEXY MAMA
Eilzel
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My Brother Empty My Brother

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:13 pm

17th February 2014

Went to look at courses at the Open University today...

...and if you're in England a degree course costs £5,250ish - if you're in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales it only costs £1510 - £2,815.

That's per year - 120 points.

Please discuss.

Back to top Go down

My Brother Empty Re: My Brother

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Already been discussed.   Scotland chooses to use a percentage of it's money towards education.   If your brother was living in Scotland, even though he is English, he would get the lower rate.

I presume N.Ireland and Wales do the same.   It's only in England that we have a government who don't give a bugger about your brother's education, him and every other person in England.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Sassy wrote:Already been discussed.   Scotland chooses to use a percentage of it's money towards education.   If you brother was living in Scotland, even though he is English, he would get the lower rate.

Well said Sassy, you, Irn and me already set Andy straight on this, the Scottish government take this from their allocated share of funds form Westrminster Andy, Scotland take the hit, not London, not you or yours either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:22 pm

Sassy wrote:Already been discussed.   Scotland chooses to use a percentage of it's money towards education.   If your brother was living in Scotland, even though he is English, he would get the lower rate.

I presume N.Ireland and Wales do the same.   It's only in England that we have a government who don't give a bugger about your brother's education, him and every other person in England.

Exactly; I do admire the Scots and their (Left Wing) respect for education and preserving it as much as possible as an affordable right for all  Smile 
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:23 pm

Me too, they certainly put their people first.

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Sassy wrote:Already been discussed.   Scotland chooses to use a percentage of it's money towards education.   If your brother was living in Scotland, even though he is English, he would get the lower rate.

Exactly; I do admire the Scots and their (Left Wing) respect for education and preserving it as much as possible as an affordable right for all  Smile 

The infamous lefties , according to some arent they all work shy benefit scroungers?
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:30 pm

Oh yes. That will be why its the right wingers who are on here during the day when they should be working lol

Back to top Go down

Post by SEXY MAMA Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:31 pm

Sassy wrote:Oh yes.   That will be why its the right wingers who are on here during the day when they should be working lol

Lololol.
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:35 pm

I read that thread by Tess and it appears to have ended up as an own goal Laughing
Irn Bru
Irn Bru
The Tartan terror. Keeper of the royal sporran. Chief Haggis Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:43 pm

I think this one has as well!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:46 pm

Eilzel wrote:

Oh.

Why is this a left wing move?

And where does the English government give me that money then?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:48 pm

Haven't you read the thread. It doesn't, because it doesn't value giving your brother and education. Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland would give him one if he lived there, even though he is English.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:52 pm

Sassy wrote:Haven't you read the thread.  It doesn't, because it doesn't value giving your brother and education.  Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland would give him one if he lived there, even though he is English.

Oh.

But somebody said Scotland spends that money on this part of education. Where does England spend that money, if not on education? Surely we all have the same amount of money spent on us?

And what makes this policy by Scotland a left wing policy?

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:53 pm

I think having scored an own goal and dug a big hole, you might do better to stop digging.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:55 pm

Sassy wrote:I think having scored an own goal and dug a big hole, you might do better to stop digging.

No no.

It's ok, you can answer the two questions.

Can't you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:05 pm

....forum knecky?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:30 pm

You obviously have trouble with remembering discussions Andy, you were given all those answers on this thread:

https://newsfix.niceboard.com/t2469-should-the-english-be-included-in-uk-break-up-vote

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:30 pm

We are English....................... Me..................Conservative, and C of E.

Son is studying in Edinburgh uni.......................

Me not happy at the cost, Son delighted at the the education, the openings and his life ahead................ He can go global. He loves the City, his fellow students from around the world, the huge oopmh he has been given.

It is wrong, I am against the discrimination of him being English and being charged so much, but at the end of his degree the wordl will be his oyster and that is something that money just cannot buy.

gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:32 pm

gerber wrote:We are English.......................  Me..................Conservative, and C of E.

Me not happy at the cost, Son delighted at the the education, the openings and his life ahead................  He can go global.  He loves the City, his fellow students from around the world, the huge oopmh he has been given.

It is wrong, I am against the discrimination of him being English and being charged so much, but at the end of his degree the wordl will be his oyster and that is something that money just cannot buy.

Well said gerbs.

It is just wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:33 pm

If you lived in Scotland Gerber, even though you are English, he wouldn't be charged. Complain to this government and their priorities.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:36 pm

Sassy wrote:If you lived in Scotland Gerber, even though you are English, he wouldn't be charged.   Complain to this government and their priorities.

So where does the English government spend this money, and is it just English MPs who decide where it is spent?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:38 pm

As I said on the other thread, all those points have been answered on the previous thread we had about Scotland. Your memory isn't very good.

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:39 pm

Sassy wrote:If you lived in Scotland Gerber, even though you are English, he wouldn't be charged.   Complain to this government and their priorities.

Good evening Sassy

my memory may be not that good these days and am more than willing to be corrected or at the very least directed to the right link for provenance

Mr Bliar decided to raise tuition fees whilst he was the PM. It was voted against by the opposition the Conservatives. carried only by the yes lobby walk from the liebour MPs north of the border who very soon afterwards voted for free uni education In Scotland. A privilege forwarded to all students within the Eu except England.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:40 pm

Sassy wrote:As I said on the other thread, all those points have been answered on the previous thread we had about Scotland.   Your memory isn't very good.

No, they weren't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:42 pm

That is exactly what I said Sassy, those dissatisfied should see their coalition government..

Now Andy had all this explained to you the other day, calm down with the spamming there chief. Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:43 pm

gerber wrote:

Good evening Sassy

my memory may be not that good these days and am more than willing to be corrected or at the very least directed to the right link for provenance

Mr Bliar decided to raise tuition fees whilst he was the PM.  It was voted against by the opposition the Conservatives.  carried only by the yes lobby walk from the liebour MPs north of the border who very soon afterwards voted for free uni education In Scotland.  A privilege forwarded to all students within the Eu except England.

Hi Gerbs, all the links are on this thread:

https://newsfix.niceboard.com/t2469-should-the-english-be-included-in-uk-break-up-vote

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:43 pm

Hello Gerbs btw, I hope like me, you're still a Volvo driver? Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:45 pm

gerber wrote:

Good evening Sassy

Mr Bliar decided to raise tuition fees whilst he was the PM.  It was voted against by the opposition the Conservatives.  carried only by the yes lobby walk from the liebour MPs north of the border who very soon afterwards voted for free uni education In Scotland.  A privilege forwarded to all students within the Eu except England.

All students in the EU get it free too?

How can that be possible gerber???? WTF?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:48 pm

Because the EU pays the universities for it. And the government don't give a toss for you and yours. Haven't you twigged that yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:51 pm

Sassy wrote:Because the EU pays the universities for it.   And the government don't give a toss for you and yours.   Haven't you twigged that yet.

The EU?

Why doesn't the EU pay for my children's ejumacasion?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:52 pm

BigAndy9 wrote:
Sassy wrote:Because the EU pays the universities for it.   And the government don't give a toss for you and yours.   Haven't you twigged that yet.

The EU?  

Why doesn't the EU pay for my children's ejumacasion?

....see Cameron.

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:53 pm

Joy Division wrote:Hello Gerbs btw, I hope like me, you're still a Volvo driver? Laughing 

Maybe and yes  I love you 
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:55 pm

I have twigged. and now so has Son and all his fellow students from the South.....................

Burns night may have a whole new meaning in a few years.
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:35 am

The LW believe in certain rights being available to all, free where possible but at least affordable for all. We don't see using public money at achieve this as a problem but a role.

For the RW, ultimately, everything has a price, and public money should be used to support 'luxuries' (their thinking not mine) as little as possible.

RW ideology implies you should pay the full cost of your education. LW ideology insists everyone is entitled to good education and the state will support you in doing so.

Hence, post fee rises (a RW governments initiative) in LW Scotland lower fees, in RW England you are bled dry- nice eh Smile
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:00 am

Eilzel wrote:The LW believe in certain rights being available to all, free where possible but at least affordable for all. We don't see using public money at achieve this as a problem but a role.

For the RW, ultimately, everything has a price, and public money should be used to support 'luxuries' (their thinking not mine) as little as possible.

RW ideology implies you should pay the full cost of your education. LW ideology insists everyone is entitled to good education and the state will support you in doing so.

Hence, post fee rises (a RW governments initiative)  in LW Scotland lower fees, in RW England you are bled dry- nice eh Smile

Oh.

But that isn't true is it? No matter what government is in power, if you don't work, you get things for free.

As for the example we are discussing - where does the English money go?

Some of the others say that the EU pays for all the other countries to send their kids to Scottish universities. Why doesn't the EU pay for English kids to study there?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:51 am

How many people go to university these days though? It didn't used to be that many, so it cost the tax payers less money. Loads of people want to go now.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:54 am

Raggamuffin wrote:How many people go to university these days though? It didn't used to be that many, so it cost the tax payers less money. Loads of people want to go now.

I hear that most whose parents are on benefits do it for the grants - they go and buy laptops, Apple products usually. Very nice they are too!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:00 am

BigAndy9 wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:How many people go to university these days though? It didn't used to be that many, so it cost the tax payers less money. Loads of people want to go now.

I hear that most whose parents are on benefits do it for the grants - they go and buy laptops, Apple products usually.  Very nice they are too!

Laughing 

Seriously though, a degree is a luxury really. Schooling is free, so they've had free education for years. It depends on the degree of course, but they're often not that useful really.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:01 am

BigAndy9 wrote:

I hear that most whose parents are on benefits do it for the grants - they go and buy laptops, Apple products usually.  Very nice they are too!

You been sniffin' around those areas you describe as sink estates again Andy?

You're liable to get arrested.

My Brother 2Q==
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by Irn Bru Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:05 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
BigAndy9 wrote:

Laughing 

Seriously though, a degree is a luxury really. Schooling is free, so they've had free education for years. It depends on the degree of course, but they're often not that useful really.

I agree and I would rather see more of the tuition fees system being made available to fund more craft apprenticeships because we seem to be rather short on those skills in this country.
Irn Bru
Irn Bru

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:06 am

gerber wrote:We are English.......................  Me..................Conservative, and C of E.

Me not happy at the cost, Son delighted at the the education, the openings and his life ahead................  He can go global.  He loves the City, his fellow students from around the world, the huge oopmh he has been given.

Hang on, sorry to be thick, but if your son is in Scotland studying, aren't you paying the lower, Scottish fees?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:07 am

Irn Bru wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Laughing 

I agree and I would rather see more of the tuition fees system being made available to fund more craft apprenticeships because we seem to be rather short on those skills in this country.

Yes! I think learning on the job would probably be more useful really. I'd like to see more practical skills in this country.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:08 am

eddie wrote:

Hang on, sorry to be thick, but if your son is in Scotland studying, aren't you paying the lower, Scottish fees?

Wouldn't they have to actually live in Scotland?
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:10 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:

Morning Raga, well I presumed he was??   
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:13 am

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Morning Eddie. He must live there now obviously, but I presumed he was living in England at the time of applying. I don't actually know though.  Razz 
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:15 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:

Morning Eddie. He must live there now obviously, but I presumed he was living in England at the time of applying. I don't actually know though.  Razz 

Ah right. That's kind of what I was getting at. If you apply to go to Uni in Scotland, but live in England, you still have to pay English fees, even though you're moving and studying in Scotland?
That doesn't seem right....?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:21 am

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Ah right. That's kind of what I was getting at. If you apply to go to Uni in Scotland, but live in England, you still have to pay English fees, even though you're moving and studying in Scotland?

I presume that if a person from Scotland studies in England, they pay less? I don't know much about it to be honest.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by gerber Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:24 am

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Morning Eddie

Son has to pay full wack. we the English are being discriminated against
gerber
gerber
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:07 pm

gerber wrote:
eddie wrote:

Morning Eddie

Son has to pay full wack.  we the English are being discriminated against

Just like we were when we were used as Guinea pigs for Thatcher's poll tax Gerbs?

Na, you're not being discriminated against Gerbs, as said already, this is funded from Scotland's share of the UK distribution from Westminster..

In order for English Uni's to get the same , you wild have to take that up with Westminster and David Cameron, he can finance English students to study free or for less  both in England and Scotland, from England's share of the UK take.

Same as prescriptions, the SNP financed  free prescriptions  up here for. Scotland's share of the UK total to be distributed.

Honestly , how many times must I keep you all right? Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Joy Division on Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:09 pm

Now, please stop all this hate and bias toward Scotland..

And all this whinging, it's giving me a sore head!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next