NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

will you be buying/wearing a poppy??

+10
Vintage
Andy
Victorismyhero
Fred Moletrousers
HoratioTarr
nicko
magica
Syl
Raggamuffin
heavenlyfather
14 posters

Go down

will you be buying/wearing a poppy?? Empty will you be buying/wearing a poppy??

Post by heavenlyfather Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:18 pm

Do you like the lest we forget campaign, I think it is important to preserve it and remember those who gave everything to protect their countries.
heavenlyfather
heavenlyfather
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

will you be buying/wearing a poppy?? Empty Re: will you be buying/wearing a poppy??

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:18 pm

I have one. Someone else bought it for me though.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

will you be buying/wearing a poppy?? Empty Re: will you be buying/wearing a poppy??

Post by heavenlyfather Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:21 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I have one. Someone else bought it for me though.

I hope you wear it though.... heard someone say it was racist, the poppy represents the fallen of every nation, how can it be racist??
heavenlyfather
heavenlyfather
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:24 pm

heavenlyfather wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I have one. Someone else bought it for me though.

I hope you wear it though.... heard someone say it was racist, the poppy represents the fallen of every nation, how can it be racist??

Of course it's not racist, and I will wear it - only on the correct day though.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by heavenlyfather Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:26 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
heavenlyfather wrote:

I tend to wear mine a lot longer, I really believe we need to learn from wars and not repeat them.
heavenlyfather
heavenlyfather
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:34 pm

I have already got my crystal one out and wearing it. I have had it a few years.
will you be buying/wearing a poppy?? Jw111813

I will also buy one from the man who sells them in Asda.

Only the ignorant  say the poppy is racist or celebrating war....it's worn to remember the brave who have fallen in the wars.

Last edited by Syl on Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by heavenlyfather Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:36 pm

Syl wrote:I have allready got my crystal one out and am wearing it.

Only idiots say thepoppy is racist or celebrating war....it's worn to remember the brave who have fallen in the wars.

well done, glad to hear it, yes it is to remember those of every nation who fell..
heavenlyfather
heavenlyfather
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:50 pm

heavenlyfather wrote:
Syl wrote:I have allready got my crystal one out and am wearing it.

Only idiots say thepoppy is racist or celebrating war....it's worn to remember the brave who have fallen in the wars.

well done, glad to hear it, yes it is to remember those of every nation who fell..

Hi HF, I dont think we have met.
Yes, wearing the poppy is just to respect and remember the memory of the brave men and women who died in conflict.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by heavenlyfather Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:00 pm

Syl wrote:
heavenlyfather wrote:

Hi HF, I dont think we have met.
Yes, wearing the poppy is just to respect and remember the memory of the brave men and women who died in conflict.

Hi Syl it's good to meet you..
the remembrance day parades, the poppies even the old movies they re run, they all remind us of the ultimate sacrifice so many people, from all walks of life, from all professions paid, it needs to be remembered..
heavenlyfather
heavenlyfather
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:33 am

I've got a Crystal one, wrist bands, crosses. I've also got a poppy from the tower when they were there. I've got one big one on my car and badges on my coat. I still buy one every year and wear them with pride and always remember those who didn't come home.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:18 am

I buy one every year, remembering the Mates I'v lost .
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:01 am

I always buy one, and no fucker's gonna tell me I can't wear it either.  (Note to all members:   That was not aimed at Quill)
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:07 pm

I not only buy a poppy, but as a Royal British Legion branch chairman I'm also a "tin rattler" and have the honour of reciting both The Exhortation and the Kohima Epitaph at the local war memorial at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month each year.

This year is special, being the centenary of the end of WW1, and I'm incredibly fortunate in having tickets for the iconic Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall on November 10.

I also get to wear my service blazer, tie and beret and sport my veterans' badges. They made their first appearance of the year at the official launch of the Poppy Appeal last weekend and 'er indoors said that I looked quite dashing...but to deflate my ego an old mate tottered up and told me: "God, you're showing your age a bit."
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:30 pm

I'm sure you look incredibly dashing Fred, and a twinkle in the eye never ages....so tell your mate to sod off. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:23 pm

yep I will be buying one and wearing it ...and it will be a red one, not that dreadful white cowards poppy. The money from which goes to support, NOT our elderly or injured ex service men and women, but a "lefty" cause

quote "According to the Peace Pledge Union website: ‘Any money raised over and above the cost of producing, publicising and distributing the white poppies goes to fund our education work.’"

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/25/where-does-white-poppy-money-go-what-the-peace-pledge-union-do-with-their-proceeds-8074618/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

oh aye......whats left over AFTER everyone in line has taken a slice no doubt.....

fund our education indoctrination work
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:33 pm

Lord Foul wrote:yep I will be buying one and wearing it ...and it will be a red one, not that dreadful white cowards poppy. The money from which goes to support, NOT our elderly or injured ex service men and women, but a "lefty" cause

quote "According to the Peace Pledge Union website: ‘Any money raised over and above the cost of producing, publicising and distributing the white poppies goes to fund our education work.’"

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/25/where-does-white-poppy-money-go-what-the-peace-pledge-union-do-with-their-proceeds-8074618/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

oh aye......whats left over AFTER everyone in line has taken a slice no doubt.....

fund our education indoctrination  work

+1

I wonder whether the money used in that education. If they teach their appeasement to Nazi Germany within their movement?

Or do they whitewash that part of their history?

Like many in the 1930s, the PPU supported aspects of appeasement, with some members suggesting that Nazi Germany would cease its aggression if the territorial provisions of the Versailles Treaty were undone. It backed Neville Chamberlain's policy at Munich in 1938, regarding Hitler's claims on the Sudetenland as legitimate. At the time of the Munich crisis, several PPU sponsors tried to send "five thousand pacifists to the Sudetenland as a non-violent presence", however this attempt came to nothing.

Peace News editor and PPU sponsor John Middleton Murry and his supporters in the group caused considerable controversy by arguing Germany should be given control of parts of mainland Europe. In a PPU publication, Warmongers, Clive Bell said that Germany should be permitted to "absorb" France, Poland, the Low Countries and the Balkans. However, this was never the official policy of the PPU and the position quickly drew criticism from other PPU activists such as Vera Brittain and Andrew Stewart. It is also notable that Clive Bell left the PPU shortly afterwards and by 1940 he was supporting the war.

Some PPU supporters were so sympathetic to German grievances that PPU supporter Rose Macaulay claimed she found it difficult to distinguish between the PPU newspaper Peace News and that of the British Union of Fascists (BUF), saying, "Occasionally when reading Peace News, I (and others) half think we have got hold of the [BUF journal] Blackshirt by mistake". There was Fascist infiltration of the PPU and MI5 kept an eye on the PPU's "small Fascist connections". After Dick Sheppard's death in October 1937, George Orwell, always hostile to pacifism, accused the PPU of "moral collapse" on the grounds that some members even joined the BUF. However, several historians note that the situation may have been the other way around; that is, BUF members attempted to infiltrate the PPU. On 11 August 1939, the Deputy Editor of Peace News, Andrew Stewart, criticised those "who think that membership of British Union, Sir Oswald Moseley's Fascist organization, is compatible with membership of the PPU".In November 1939, an MI5 officer reported that members of the far-right Nordic League were attempting "to join the PPU en masse".

Historians have differed in their interpretation of the PPU's attitude to Nazi Germany. The historian Mark Gilbert said, "it is hard to think of a British newspaper that was so consistent an apologist for Nazi Germany as Peace News," which "assiduously echoed the Nazi press's claims that far worse offences than the Kristallnacht events were a regular feature of British colonial rule". But David C. Lukowitz argues that, "it is nonsense to charge the PPU with pro-Nazi sentiments. From the outset it emphasised that its primary dedication was to world peace, to economic justice and racial equality," but it had "too much sympathy for the German position, often the product of ignorance and superficial thinking". Research by the historian Richard Griffiths, published in 2017, suggests considerable division and controversy at the top of the PPU, with the editors of Peace News being generally more willing to play down the dangers of Nazi Germany than were many members of the PPU Executive.

Controversy over the PPU's attitude towards Nazi Germany has continued ever since the war. In 1950, Rebecca West, in her book The Meaning of Treason, described the PPU as "that ambiguous organisation which in the name of peace was performing many actions certain to benefit Hitler". The publishers removed the phrase from subsequent editions of the book following representations by the PPU, but West refused to apologise. As recently as 2017, the right-wing commentator and retired colonel Richard Kemp alleged on Good Morning Britain that the PPU were "arch-appeasers" who had supported the absorption of the Low Countries into Germany's sphere of influence. This was denied by the PPU representative on the programme, who stated that the PPU had campaigned against arms sales to Fascist regimes when the UK government was selling weapons to Mussolini.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_Pledge_Union#Attitudes_towards_Nazi_Germany

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:46 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:I always buy one, and no fucker's gonna tell me I can't wear it either.  (Note to all members:   That was not aimed at Quill)

Looks like you have fallen for that myth perpetrated by the far right.
The fact is NO-ONE is telling you that you cannot wear one, or it is offensive.
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Its a pity these people don't talk to people who have experienced war, I doubt they'd find any that 'paints war as noble and worth celebrating'. Those marching past the cenotaph are certainly not 'celebrating' at all.
Selfless deeds that are done are worth celebrating but not at this time. Perhaps they'd like to ponder whether they would be free to sell white poppies if there weren't people who had stood against ideologies like the Nazi and these days ISIS.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:02 pm

heavenlyfather wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I tend to wear mine a lot longer, I really believe we need to learn from wars and not repeat them.

I don't like to wear a poppy too early. It becomes like Christmas then - earlier every year, or it's like having fireworks all year round instead of just 5th November or the nearest weekend.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:52 pm

So I don't know much about this topic. Is the main reason that some people find poppies racist is because Britain First hijacked them?
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:57 pm

Do you mean “Britain First” the political movement, or that Britain hijacked them before anyone else?

Grammar dude. Not sure what you’re chattin’.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:59 pm

eddie wrote:Do you mean “Britain First” the political movement, or that Britain hijacked them before anyone else?

Grammar dude. Not sure what you’re chattin’.

If I'd meant "Britain first hijacked them" I'd have lowercased the effin' F. Obviously I meant "Britain First" with an effin' capital F.

F you.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:01 pm

See? Typical answer Mr Editor Man. That’s why I married you! Hahahahaha

Okay about the poppies, I don’t think it has much to do with Britain First.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:51 am

Green for Vintage !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:14 am

*THE Ben Reilly* wrote:So I don't know much about this topic. Is the main reason that some people find poppies racist is because Britain First hijacked them?

It seems very odd to consider them racist Neutral 
I'd suggest it is an extreme minority probably one of these British student union leaders... who spend way too much time not ensuring the ready availability cheap alcohol to their members 

Down here we wear them more on Anzac day (25th of April) even I buy them, I never heard anyone consider them racist

I also find it 'odd' that people have fancy reusable ones
down here part of the point is the money goes to 'ex-service' charities
so you buy new ones every year
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:33 am

I have a big metal pin that is specific to my former career. Paid plenty for it and 80% of the cost went straight to the British Legion..
Andy
Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Location : Winning the fight to drain the swamp of far right extremists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:33 am

veya_victaous wrote:
*THE Ben Reilly* wrote:So I don't know much about this topic. Is the main reason that some people find poppies racist is because Britain First hijacked them?

I'd suggest it is an extreme minority probably one of these British student union leaders... who spend way too much time not ensuring the ready availability cheap alcohol to their members 

Down here we wear them more on Anzac day (25th of April) even I buy them, I never heard anyone consider them racist

I suppose if the reusable one cost a bit then a greater amount goes to charity in one go. Not sure.

And no one I know considers them racist nor have themselves encountered anyone who does. An extreme, minuscule number may complain I guess, but not enough to warrant the insane numbers of articles I hear about it nor the endless deluge of Facebook posts declaring how 'not fucking offensive' the poppy is, that I see from an irritating minority of people on Facebook Laughing
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:06 am

Angry Andy wrote:I have a big metal pin that is specific to my former career. Paid plenty for it and 80% of the cost went straight to the British Legion..

That makes a bit more sense if the money still goes to charity Wink
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:11 am

My Son had a large Poppy on the Rad grill of his car, he came out of the Market to find two brown faced idiots trying to pull it off ! He drove away leaving them in the gutter, lying down I might add !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:52 am

Eilzel wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

I suppose if the reusable one cost a bit then a greater amount goes to charity in one go. Not sure.

And no one I know considers them racist nor have themselves encountered anyone who does. An extreme, minuscule number may complain I guess, but not enough to warrant the insane numbers of articles I hear about it nor the endless deluge of Facebook posts declaring how 'not fucking offensive' the poppy is, that I see from an irritating minority of people on Facebook Laughing  

Oh, I see. It's a bit like how every year around Christmas, the right works itself into a frenzy because somebody said "Happy Holidays," and they do round-the-clock coverage of the liberal "War on Christmas."

Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:57 am

*THE Ben Reilly* wrote:
Eilzel wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

Oh, I see. It's a bit like how every year around Christmas, the right works itself into a frenzy because somebody said "Happy Holidays," and they do round-the-clock coverage of the liberal "War on Christmas."

Just like that.

We actually get the anti-Christmas stuff too, though on a smaller scale. Stories of some school no one knows stopped the nativity or mentioned opposition to a Christmas Tree... Laughing
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:03 am

Well, we don't allow Nativity scenes in schools here anyway. Separation of church and state tings will you be buying/wearing a poppy?? 3755771736 santa (actually I think Santa is allowed in our schools)
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:29 am

*THE Ben Reilly* wrote:Well, we don't allow Nativity scenes in schools here anyway. Separation of church and state tings will you be buying/wearing a poppy?? 3755771736 santa  (actually I think Santa is allowed in our schools)

I'm surprised that the Christian Right have never pushed for it.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:29 pm

veya_victaous wrote:

The reusable crystal or enamel ones are, as well as showing support for poppy day, a nice piece of jewellery. It's important to buy them from either the British legion poppy shop or a place that sells them and donates the profits to them.
When you buy direct from the British Legion they keep you updated on merchandise they sell, plus raffles etc...so you can give as much or as little as you want to thereafter.

https://www.poppyshop.org.uk/

I agree it is always good to also buy the paper poppy too every year.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:49 pm

nicko wrote:My Son had a large Poppy on the Rad grill of his car, he came out of the Market to find two brown faced idiots trying to pull it off ! He drove away leaving them in the gutter,  lying down I might add !

Brilliant Nicko. I've got one on my car, had it about 3 years now, it stays on. Woe betide anyone trying to pull it off.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:50 pm

Syl wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

The reusable crystal or enamel ones are, as well as showing support for poppy day, a nice piece of jewellery. It's important to buy them from either the British legion poppy shop or a place that sells them and donates the profits to them.
When you buy direct from the British Legion  they keep you updated on merchandise they sell, plus raffles etc...so you can give as much or as little as you want to thereafter.

https://www.poppyshop.org.uk/

I agree it is always good to also buy the paper poppy too every year.

Ive got a crystal one but still buy one. It always falls off before I get home though lol.
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down