NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A hysterectomy ruined Teresa’s life. She wants other women to beware

+2
Cass
Maddog
6 posters

Go down

A hysterectomy ruined Teresa’s life. She wants other women to beware Empty A hysterectomy ruined Teresa’s life. She wants other women to beware

Post by Maddog Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:11 am

Teresa Lovejoy was told she had “no other option” but to have a radical hysterectomy – the removal of her cervix, uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries and some lymph nodes.

But the doctors were wrong. All those parts of her anatomy were healthy.

Twelve years later, Ms Lovejoy, 70, from Hallam in Victoria, endures constant excruciating pain, incontinence, and anger that she let herself be pressured into major surgery she never needed.

During an annual pap smear, Ms Lovejoy, a former office worker for over 30 years, was told she had post-menopausal bleeding, despite not reporting “a single drop of blood”.

Doctors scraped off the lining of her womb (a procedure called ‘curettage’) but discovered a malignancy they told her could only be removed by a radical hysterectomy.

Ms Lovejoy said she “begged” for an alternative but remembers being “yelled at” by her gynaecologist: “‘You should be lucky you don’t have to have chemotherapy like all those women out there in the waiting room. They weren’t so lucky’.”

Despite feeling railroaded and rushed by her gynaecologist, Ms Lovejoy signed a consent form to undergo the procedure because she “knew no better”.

Two days after the procedure, Ms Lovejoy discovered she never had cancer to begin with.

“How else were we going to find out if you had cancer unless we cut out your organs?” she recalled her gynaecologist saying.

Ms Lovejoy asked about her ovaries, which were permanently removed in the procedure, and was told: “They’re useless anyway after menopause.”

Ms Lovejoy’s story is, according to one health body, part of a wider problem of unwarranted hysterectomies being performed in Australia.

International non-profit women’s health organisation, the Hysterectomy Educational Resources and Services (HERS) Foundation, has counselled 312 Australian women over the past two decades who were told by gynaecologists they needed a hysterectomy.

HERS has referred thousands of women to certified gynaecologists who are experts in certain conditions such as fibroids, endometrial hyperplasia, uterine prolapse or endometriosis.

HERS founder and president Nora Coffey told The New Daily that only four of the 312 women in Australia had a life-threatening condition that required a hysterectomy.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/wellbeing/2018/02/11/unnecessary-hysterectomy-australia/

Why is she complaining?  She got a "free" operation. It appears hundreds of other women got free operations they didn't need either. Crying or Very sad
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

A hysterectomy ruined Teresa’s life. She wants other women to beware Empty Re: A hysterectomy ruined Teresa’s life. She wants other women to beware

Post by Cass Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:30 am

She and the other women need to sue the pants off of those fcukwits.
How awful for them all.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

A hysterectomy ruined Teresa’s life. She wants other women to beware Empty Re: A hysterectomy ruined Teresa’s life. She wants other women to beware

Post by eddie Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:41 pm

Im on two minds about this. If the doctor was wrong why hasn’t he been struck off? The trouble with some people is that they don’t always hear too well when medical stuff is explained to them, so perhaps she misunderstood a lot of what was said.
She doesn’t need all those parts anyway.

But, on the other hand, if he’s found to be negligent then he should be investigated. She either had pre-cancerous cells (which is what she probably meant) or she didn’t.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Cass wrote:She and the other women need to sue the pants off of those fcukwits.
How awful for them all.

It's pretty hard to sue government workers
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:03 pm

It seems that she have a malignancy but it hadn't spread to the organs they took out.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Maddog wrote:
Cass wrote:She and the other women need to sue the pants off of those fcukwits.
How awful for them all.

Why?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:06 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:It seems that she have a malignancy but it hadn't spread to the organs they took out.

Yes so what they did was remove any threat to other organs by removing them. She’s didn’t need them so I can’t see what her gripe is.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:43 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:It seems that she have a malignancy but it hadn't spread to the organs they took out.

Yes so what they did was remove any threat to other organs by removing them. She’s didn’t need them so I can’t see what her gripe is.

It's a bit confusing because they found a malignancy, but later in the article it says she never had cancer at all.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:00 pm

eddie wrote:

Her gripe is that it was unnecessary and has put her through pain and trauma. There still is a culture of 'whip it out' with regards to hysterectomy. You don't need your appendix but why would you take it out just for the sake of it? They took cervix, uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries and lymph nodes. That's major surgery.

Imagine if someone told you you had breast cancer, let's take 'em off. And you did. And then found out it was unnecessary. Would you sit there and say, 'Oh well, I didn't need them anyway'? I bet you wouldn't.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:04 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
eddie wrote:

Her gripe is that it was unnecessary and has put her through pain and trauma.   There still is a culture of 'whip it out' with regards to hysterectomy.   You don't need your appendix but why would you take it out just for the sake of it?     They took cervix, uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries and lymph nodes.  That's major surgery.

Imagine if someone told you you had breast cancer, let's take 'em off.  And you did.   And then found out it was unnecessary.  Would you sit there and say, 'Oh well, I didn't need them anyway'?    I bet you wouldn't.

No I wouldn’t. But.....I’d get myself a brand new pair. cheers
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:07 pm

eddie wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Her gripe is that it was unnecessary and has put her through pain and trauma.   There still is a culture of 'whip it out' with regards to hysterectomy.   You don't need your appendix but why would you take it out just for the sake of it?     They took cervix, uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries and lymph nodes.  That's major surgery.

Imagine if someone told you you had breast cancer, let's take 'em off.  And you did.   And then found out it was unnecessary.  Would you sit there and say, 'Oh well, I didn't need them anyway'?    I bet you wouldn't.

No I wouldn’t.  But.....I’d get myself a brand new pair. cheers

Yeah but say...it all went wrong and you were in constant pain?
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:09 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
eddie wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Yeah but say...it all went wrong and you were in constant pain?

True.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:11 pm

eddie wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

I'd get a nice pert pair of 34Bs.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:18 pm

Me too!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:17 pm

Me three!

(I don’t actually want three breasts.)
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:

It's a bit confusing because they found a malignancy, but later in the article it says she never had cancer at all.

Where did you read that?  I only saw:

Raggamuffin wrote:Two days after the procedure, Ms Lovejoy discovered she never had cancer to begin with.

I know the term 'malignancy' is used metaphorically, but strictly speaking it is cancer.  The Dictionary defines it as: "Malignancy: A cancer capable of metastasizing."  I think despite her signing an informed consent and release, she was misdiagnosed.  That means she was improperly informed.  With her damages, I see a pretty good lawsuit.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Why?

Because they are protected by civil service type agreements. It's the same reason bad teachers and bad cops don't get fired.

Are you sure you live in the US?
Maddog
Maddog
The newsfix Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Raggamuffin wrote:Two days after the procedure, Ms Lovejoy discovered she never had cancer to begin with.

I know the term 'malignancy' is used metaphorically, but strictly speaking it is cancer.  The Dictionary defines it as: "Malignancy: A cancer capable of metastasizing."  I think despite her signing an informed consent and release, she was misdiagnosed.  That means she was improperly informed.  With her damages, I see a pretty good lawsuit.

Doctors scraped off the lining of her womb (a procedure called ‘curettage’) but discovered a malignancy they told her could only be removed by a radical hysterectomy.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:49 pm

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Why?

Because they are protected by civil service type agreements. It's the same reason bad teachers and bad cops don't get fired.

Are you sure you live in the US?  

Well, I only question because it's Australia, and I don't know Australian law.

In the US you can't contract away constitutional rights. The consent and release is a defense, but it doesn't defeat the Fifth Amendment.

Why do you ask if I am US, when the legal issue is Australian?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:52 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I saw that, but assumed it incorporated their misdiagnosis. Perhaps it should have said: they discovered [what they described as] a malignancy.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down