NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash

+6
'Wolfie
Vintage
Tommy Monk
HoratioTarr
eddie
Syl
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash Empty Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:36 pm

Dove has been forced to apologise after releasing a series of images appearing to show a black woman turning white in a Facebook advert accused of being “racist”.

The cosmetics company said it “deeply regret(s)” the offence caused, admitting the images “missed the mark”.

The advert shows a series of photographs in which a black woman pulls off her T-shirt to reveal a white woman underneath. Another image shows the white woman undressing to reveal an Asian woman. The images were shared by make up artist ‘Naythemua’, who commented on her post: “What does America tell black people... that we are judged by the color of our skin and that includes what is considered beautiful in this country... they believe lighter representations should be at the forefront... and that the darker you are the less beautiful.”
She added: “The tone deafness in these companies makes no sense.”

Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash 22310226_1662304177153273_4511175166792864139_n

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/dove-apologises-racist-facebook-advert_uk_59da2506e4b0f6eed350e39d?utm_hp_ref=uk

Back to top Go down

Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash Empty Re: Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash

Post by Syl Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:43 pm

It does seem to be a stupid ad....I wonder why all the fuss is made about the black girl turning white....apparently another ad shows a white girl turning black.

"Another image shows the white woman undressing to reveal an Asian woman."

Either way its bound to cause offence to someone.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash Empty Re: Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:51 pm

Syl wrote:It does seem to be a stupid ad....I wonder why all the fuss is made about the black girl turning white....apparently another ad shows a white girl turning black.

I just don't get what message they were trying to portray in regards to something that is used to clean people.

So I agree it was stupid and done clearly unconciously.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:56 pm

Very clumsy, and in light of their earlier ad that seemed to show a white skin being preferable to a darker skin, they should know better.

On the other hand, maybe they deliberately want to make the headlines just as the Benetton ads did a while ago.

They could be working on the assumption that any publicity is good publicity, especially if it gets people talking about their brand.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Syl wrote:Very clumsy, and in light of their earlier ad that seemed to show a white skin being preferable to a darker skin, they should know better.

On the other hand, maybe they deliberately want to make the headlines just as the Benetton ads did a while ago.

They could be working on the assumption that any publicity is good publicity, especially if it gets people talking about their brand.

That is a fair point, but it runs the risk of back firing for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Didge wrote:
Syl wrote:Very clumsy, and in light of their earlier ad that seemed to show a white skin being preferable to a darker skin, they should know better.

That is a fair point, but it runs the risk of back firing for them.

Yes it does.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:04 pm

Maybe they are taking inspiration from these offensive ads from bygone days.

Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash DLn3JuMVoAEjazP
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:41 pm

Jesus. Those ads are awful! Makes you wonder how they got away with that shit.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:02 pm

Syl wrote:It does seem to be a stupid ad....I wonder why all the fuss is made about the black girl turning white....apparently another ad shows a white girl turning black.

of course

you cant take a shit in peace these days without some liberal fucktard getting offended

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:07 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:

of course

you cant take a shit in peace these days without some liberal fucktard getting offended

Try to find the alternative ad of the white woman turning dark.......I cant find it even though its been made according to OP link.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:09 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

of course

Try to find the alternative ad of the white woman turning dark.......I cant find it even though its been made according to OP link.

Who gives a shit??

I doubt the dove team sat around the table as said "let's make the most racist ad we can think of"

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:10 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:

Who gives a shit??

I doubt the dove team sat around the table as said "let's make the most racist ad we can think of"

Well if they didn't realise it was racist....which imo it is, they are stupid.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:12 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:

of course

I am not offended, I just think its in poor taste.

Am i not allowed to be critical of things that clearly are a throw back to previous racist thinking?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:28 pm

Didge wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

of course

I am not offended, I just think its in poor taste.

Am i not allowed to be critical of things that clearly are a throw back to previous racist thinking?

Boring

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:30 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

Who gives a shit??

I doubt you could articulate what racism actually is

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:38 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:

This ad for eg. Cool
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:45 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:

This ad for eg. Cool

Hahahahahahaha
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:47 pm

The level of offence taking these days is astounding. There was a story yesterday about the umbrage taken when a fashion designer dared to use multi coloured dreadlocks on white models.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:59 pm

isn't it just saying that Dove is suitable for all skin colours?

not sure why this is racist

we do all have different skin tones so what is the issue?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:03 pm

There seems to be some kind of social competition to see who can find the most racism in something innocent, running alongside who can find the most to be outraged about in general.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:06 pm

gelico wrote:

I think the issue is simple.

That dirt is then associated with darker skin through the looking lense here.

Where you have someone clearly of darker skin, then use a cleaning product to them become white or then white to become darker. It not only makes zero sense. Its making a view you can physically change their skin colour through washing, which is absurd.

@Horatio

That is yet again nonsense around cultural Appropriation ...

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:07 pm

Came across this today.

Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash Img_7726
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:07 pm

eddie wrote:Came across this today.

Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash Img_7726

Brilliant

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:10 pm

And 'we're all the same' underneath... arent we...!?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:29 pm

Syl wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

This ad for eg. Cool

I doubt you could articulate what articulate actually means

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:49 pm

gelico wrote:
There seems to be some kind of social competition to see who can find the most racism in something innocent, running alongside who can find the most to be outraged about in general.

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:52 pm

People just look for something to be offended by these days - its getting stupid .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:07 pm

gelico wrote:

Everything is racist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:08 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:
This ad for eg. Cool

Hahahahahahaha

I know right??

Some people are just thick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:14 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
gelico wrote:

Everything is racist

Spoken like a true racist, as they only see racism, where racism does not exist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:17 pm

Didge wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

Everything is racist

Boring

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:19 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
Didge wrote:

Boring

Another contradiction in terms.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:30 pm

That's ridiculous, and a bit of a reach if you ask me, Dove's adverts are always inclusive, all colours, all sizes.
Maybe they should have started white and gone through the ethnicities to black but I'm sure someone somewhere would have found a racial slur in there some where. The message is and has been for sometime, that Dove is good and safe for all types of skin, it doesn't claim to darken light skin or lighten dark skin. The soap ads are entirely different and from a different era there is no comparison.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:35 pm

Vintage wrote:That's ridiculous, and a bit of a reach if you ask me, Dove's adverts are always inclusive, all colours, all sizes.
Maybe they should have started white and gone through the ethnicities to black but I'm sure someone somewhere would have found a racial slur in there some where. The message is and has been for sometime, that Dove is good and safe for all types of skin, it doesn't claim to darken light skin or lighten dark skin. The soap ads are entirely different and from a different era there is no comparison.

Okay, lets look at your view point.
Can you physycially wash away the skin colour of a black person to white or visa versa.
Then take this off a back drop of when this was actually used before racially, as seen by the pictures Syl used?

Do you not think, that this appraoch, was not only inherantly unscientific and racist, but also failed to see how in history such racism was used to whitewash literally those classed as black as unclean?

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:40 pm

If you knew what went into Dove you might not want to use it.

Dove is primarily made from synthetic surfactants, vegetable oils (such as palm kernel) and salts of animal fats (tallow).

Here are ingredients rampant in Dove products and what they truly can do to your body.

Methylisothiazolinone – Studies have found this chemical to contribute to neurodegenerative disorders and seizures. They are looking to conduct further research on this toxin.

Fragrance/Parfum is a common skin irritant and the leading cause of dermatitis from cosmetic use. Studies suggest that this is rising skin sensitivities.

Tetrasodium EDTA is made from formaldehyde, a known carcinogen. Also, it is a penetration enhancer, meaning it dissolves the protective skin barrier, paving the way for other toxins to sink into your tissue and perhaps even your bloodstream. Although the Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel deemed this chemical “safe,” since it is not well-absorbed into the skin, they did suggest caution when mixing this preservative with other hazardous ingredients.

Sodium Tallowate – Vegans, cover your eyes! Sodium Tallowate, featured in the classic Dove Beauty bar, is derived from the fatty tissue of cattle. The FDA declared this additive to be safe, but according to them, GMOs are fine too.

Sodium Laureth Sulfate – About 12,200 studies testing the cumulative effect and long-term exposure of SLS linked it to:
Irritation of the skin and eyes
Organ toxicity
Developmental/reproductive toxicity
Neurotoxicity, ecotoxicology, endocrine disruption, and biochemical or cellular changes
Possible mutations and cancer
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:49 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:If you knew what went into Dove you might not want to use it.

Dove is primarily made from synthetic surfactants, vegetable oils (such as palm kernel) and salts of animal fats (tallow).

Here are ingredients rampant in Dove products and what they truly can do to your body.

Methylisothiazolinone – Studies have found this chemical to contribute to neurodegenerative disorders and seizures. They are looking to conduct further research on this toxin.

Fragrance/Parfum is a common skin irritant and the leading cause of dermatitis from cosmetic use. Studies suggest that this is rising skin sensitivities.

Tetrasodium EDTA is made from formaldehyde, a known carcinogen. Also, it is a penetration enhancer, meaning it dissolves the protective skin barrier, paving the way for other toxins to sink into your tissue and perhaps even your bloodstream. Although the Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel deemed this chemical “safe,” since it is not well-absorbed into the skin, they did suggest caution when mixing this preservative with other hazardous ingredients.

Sodium Tallowate – Vegans, cover your eyes! Sodium Tallowate, featured in the classic Dove Beauty bar, is derived from the fatty tissue of cattle. The FDA declared this additive to be safe, but according to them, GMOs are fine too.

Sodium Laureth Sulfate – About 12,200 studies testing the cumulative effect and long-term exposure of SLS linked it to:
Irritation of the skin and eyes
Organ toxicity
Developmental/reproductive toxicity
Neurotoxicity, ecotoxicology, endocrine disruption, and biochemical or cellular changes
Possible mutations and cancer

Where is the scientific evidence to back up the above claims by simple using Dove products?

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:53 pm

Its not the same and any reasonable person understands that. It's not about lightening or darkening skin  - its about being a product that can be used by anyone. Why aren't Dove's other adverts claimed to be racist, the black girl just maybe standing slightly behind a white girl for instance. There's an advert with all shapes and sizes and ethnicities for Dove, showing the various ethnicities using the product, I'm sure if you look hard enough something racist could be found even in that. Its not just for use in the bath there's moisturiser etc as well, so basically its not about (however hard you try to make it so) changing anyone's skin colour - unlike the soaps. Its a pity people don't try to do something about real racism than trying to pick up on the slightest thing that has nothing to do with actual real racism. There's an advert for cosmetics designed in shades for various skin tones, I just hope they give each ethnicity the same air time or they'll be next on the racist chopping block.

Vintage
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:59 pm

Vintage wrote:Its not the same and any reasonable person understands that. It's not about lightening or darkening skin  - its about being a product that can be used by anyone. Why aren't Dove's other adverts claimed to be racist, the black girl just maybe standing slightly behind a white girl for instance. There's an advert with all shapes and sizes and ethnicities for Dove, showing the various ethnicities using the product, I'm sure if you look hard enough something racist could be found even in that. Its not just for use in the bath there's moisturiser etc as well, so basically its not about (however hard you try to make it so) changing anyone's skin colour - unlike the soaps. Its a pity people don't try to do something about real racism than trying to pick up on the slightest thing that has nothing to do with actual real racism. There's an advert for cosmetics designed in shades for various skin tones, I just hope they give each ethnicity the same air time or they'll be next on the racist chopping block.

So you are saying to me, that any reasonable person can forget that adverts once used. Claming being black as being seen as unclean. To then be advertized in cleaning products, where someone black, becomes white is not problematic?

If you want to argue off other adverts, i am all ears to your complaints, but I fail to see how using them, based on this one. Where they have been ignored, then must disqualify any view to racism.

That is simply poor misdirection and even worse showing you have no real care for those other issues and only bring them up to argue against this racism.

If all are wrong, then surely the view is to oppose them all. Not use one off against another?

So again, lets allow this to sink in slowly.

Do you deny, adverts were once used to claim that black people were unclean?

Then to use cleaning products to make them white, as if black people were dirty?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:12 pm

I am going to use another example here to show why Flix is wrong here and fails to understand the past

Have a read

http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/06/new-cambridge-university-students-shocked-to-see-auschwitz-picture-on-welcome-pack-6982117/

Why rightly were people upset?

Night everyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:15 pm

Didge wrote:
Vintage wrote:That's ridiculous, and a bit of a reach if you ask me, Dove's adverts are always inclusive, all colours, all sizes.

Can you physycially wash away the skin colour of a black person to white or visa versa.

i dont think that was ever what they were trying to imply

Then take this off a back drop of when this was actually used before racially, as seen by the pictures Syl used?

people need to stop living in decades past then

Do you not think, that this appraoch, was not only inherantly unscientific and racist, but also failed to see how in history such racism was used to whitewash literally those classed as black as unclean?

it wasnt meant to be scientific, it wasn't racist and history is history

people are so utterly obsessed in finding anything to feel unhappy or targeted or discriminated over

get a fucking grip people

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:23 pm

Dove soap is shit and full of poisonous chemicals... HT is right...!

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:12 am

You are right, but i think the Dove ad is clumsy in its message....they must know in this day and age some people will be affronted, and i think the way that particular ad is designed, it does come across as prefering white skin to dark skin.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:35 am

gelico wrote:
Didge wrote:

i dont think that was ever what they were trying to imply

people need to stop living in decades past then

it wasnt meant to be scientific, it wasn't racist and history is history

people are so utterly obsessed in finding anything to feel unhappy or targeted or discriminated over

get a fucking grip people

But it was based on something that was racist from the past, whether unintentionally or not.

Where racism is very much alive today.

Your view to shove this under the carpet, is both naive yet again and shows that is not how you stand against something if it is wrong.

Its not about being unhappy, but how something here was completely dumb and in fact very racist

You cannot wash a black skin away to become white. Its completely in line with racist crap from the past and is presenting a piss poor message.

So yes, get a fucking grip.

Last edited by Didge on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:43 am

smelly-bandit wrote:

of course

Rolling Eyes

Fuck off, you racist little Troll....
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:45 am

It was a very poor choice of advert for a variety of reasons.
Cass
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:46 am

smelly-bandit wrote:
Syl wrote:

Idea

You obviously know what "racism" is, though, SmellyBumster...

It's one of your more obvious 'core values..'
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:24 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

Idea

You obviously know what "racism" is, though,  SmellyBumster...

Precisely

And better qualified to declare that this advert is motivated racist??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:33 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:

Idea

You obviously know what "racism" is, though,  SmellyBumster...

Precisely

And better qualified to declare that this advert is motivated racist??

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:24 pm

This previous ad of theirs was criticised. Odd that they would make the same mistake again.Dove Apologises For ‘Racist’ Facebook Advert Following Backlash DLjlrPUX0AAEzGN
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:28 pm

Presumably you find this old advert racist as well??

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next