NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apparently the word Tobacco is racist? M&S APOLOGISES FOR ‘RACIST’ BRA NAMES AND SAYS ‘WE HAVE MORE TO LEARN’

4 posters

Go down

Apparently the word Tobacco is racist? M&S APOLOGISES FOR ‘RACIST’ BRA NAMES AND SAYS ‘WE HAVE MORE TO LEARN’ Empty Apparently the word Tobacco is racist? M&S APOLOGISES FOR ‘RACIST’ BRA NAMES AND SAYS ‘WE HAVE MORE TO LEARN’

Post by Didgee Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:48 pm

Marks & Spencer has apologised after a customer criticised the brand for naming its darker-coloured bras differently to its lighter-coloured bras.

Kusi Kimani was shopping in one of the retailer’s stores when she noticed how the lighter bras were all named after sweet treats and desserts.

The dark-coloured bra, however, was named “tobacco”.

“I saw it about two weeks after George Floyd’s death and it was particularly raw to see at that time,” Ms Kimani told The Mirror.

“Why not call it cocoa, caramel or chocolate – sweet dessert items? But they used tobacco. I was shocked when I saw it.”

Ms Kimani went on to describe the branding as “hurtful” and as “an example of how bias is ingrained into society and only helps fuel racism”.

“If a young girl who is already uncomfortable with the colour of her skin [sees it] she will be feeling even more alienated,” she explained.

“To see that ‘tobacco’ is for their skin tone will make them feel unwanted by society.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/marks-and-spencer-racist-bra-apology-colour-a9667931.html

I truly despair at the stupidity of people over their own invented hurt feelings

Didgee
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Apparently the word Tobacco is racist? M&S APOLOGISES FOR ‘RACIST’ BRA NAMES AND SAYS ‘WE HAVE MORE TO LEARN’ Empty Re: Apparently the word Tobacco is racist? M&S APOLOGISES FOR ‘RACIST’ BRA NAMES AND SAYS ‘WE HAVE MORE TO LEARN’

Post by Original Quill Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:58 pm

I agree. It may well be a subliminal inference or association, but it is hardly an overt, racist trope.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Apparently the word Tobacco is racist? M&S APOLOGISES FOR ‘RACIST’ BRA NAMES AND SAYS ‘WE HAVE MORE TO LEARN’ Empty Re: Apparently the word Tobacco is racist? M&S APOLOGISES FOR ‘RACIST’ BRA NAMES AND SAYS ‘WE HAVE MORE TO LEARN’

Post by Syl Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:13 pm

ONE person complained, and she is obviously the type of person who actively goes searching for something to be offended about.
The fault here lies with M&S who actually apologised...when no apology was needed.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Tommy Monk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:03 pm

M & S is kind of a weak sister, to my reckoning. I have watched them over the years.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:49 am

People need to get a life.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:46 am

Original Quill wrote:M & S is kind of a weak sister, to my reckoning.  I have watched them over the years.

They have certainly lost their way.
Even a decade ago they were still leading as far as high street  stores were concerned, especially for food. Now they have been overtaken by the cheaper retailers, Tesco, Aldi and Lidl do better now.
As for fashion....God knows who they are trying to attract with their never ending rails of frump.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down