NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An apple for the teacher?

+2
nicko
Syl
6 posters

Go down

An apple for the teacher? Empty An apple for the teacher?

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:25 pm

No longer an apple...now it seems pressies are required.
I have been in several shops over the last few weeks where shelves are dedicated to presents for teachers from students who are moving up a class.
The thoughts very nice, but some of these gifts are around the £10 mark.
Will this be one more thing....along with expensive trainers and party gift bags that hard up parents will be brow beaten into buying?

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

An apple for the teacher? Empty Re: An apple for the teacher?

Post by nicko Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:43 pm

Is this another American idea?
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:11 pm

Syl wrote:No longer an apple...now it seems pressies are required.
I have been in several shops over the last few weeks where shelves are dedicated to presents for teachers from students who are moving up a class.
Will this be one more thing....along with expensive trainers and party gift bags that hard up parents will be brow beaten into buying?

Easy way to get around this.
Buy a very good thank you card, but to be open on what was good and poor.
The teacher is going to best learn by those who are going to be their best critics. The children themselves.
The child can then expand either way on the positives and negatives of that teacher. On what they did well and what they could work on being better at.

I mean I cannot think of a better gift a teacher could have. That of the child themselves can point out what they thought was great and what they think that teacher can then work on.

Of course most teachers would no doubt find it difficult and be shocked to learn what possible faults they may have when it comes from the kids they taught. Buts its what is needed to also help them be great teaches. Of course some of that criticism may just be formed from a dislike, but even that can be learned from. As to why that went wrong.

A good teacher would then weigh up those responses and take on board any criticism, along side the praises.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:37 pm

Or is this just bribery for favourable assistance etc from teacher towards their child...!?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:39 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Or is this just bribery for favourable assistance etc from teacher towards their child...!?

I don't think so as the pressies are given when the child leaves that particular teacher. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:39 pm

nicko wrote:Is this another American idea?

Possibly...its daft enough. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:No longer an apple...now it seems pressies are required.

The teacher is going to best learn by those who are going to be their best critics. The children themselves.
The child can then expand either way on the positives and negatives of that teacher. On what they did well and what they could work on being better at.

I mean I cannot think of a better gift a teacher could have. That of the child themselves can point out what they thought was great and what they think that teacher can then work on.

Of course most teachers would no doubt find it difficult and be shocked to learn what possible faults they may have when it comes from the kids they taught. Buts its what is needed to also help them be great teaches. Of course some of that criticism may just be formed from a dislike, but even that can be learned from. As to why that went wrong.

A good teacher would then weigh up those responses and take on board any criticism, along side the praises.

Good idea....and the joy of criticising that particular teacher is the kid will no longer be in their class....so safe from repercussions.

I actually think a home made card rather than a bought one would be nice....its the thought that counts. x

I read today that one of the most unusual presents a teacher was given by a pupil was....a daddy long legs in a matchbox. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:43 pm

We gave nothing when we left school, just a cheer!  Laughing
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:45 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Good idea....and the joy of criticising that particular teacher is the kid will no longer be in their class....so safe from repercussions.

I actually think a home made card rather than a bought one would be nice....its the thought that counts. x

I read today that one of the most unusual presents a teacher was given by a pupil was....a daddy long legs in a matchbox. Razz

Ahh that is so sweet, to give the teacher a pet. Unless the kid knew they were petrified of them Twisted Evil

lol!

On the later, that kid should advance a few years. As must be a genius.

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:47 pm

magica wrote:We gave nothing when we left school, just a cheer!  Laughing

Er we pelted a few with eggs and flower as a thank you after my o'levels   lol!

Regretted it when back in the sixth form.   Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:55 pm

Syl wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

I don't think so as the pressies are given when the child leaves that particular teacher. Laughing

Payment for favours...!?

And next teacher gets the heads up as to what rewards can be achieved if they look after certain kids etc...

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:57 pm

The day we left senior school we all took our blouses off and had the teachers sign them. (we did take another top to wear for modesty's sake)
Most of the girls were crying....I was the same as Mags, I was cheering. cheers

We were also given a bible each....I don't think that happens anymore.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:59 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Ahh that is so sweet, to give the teacher a pet. Unless the kid knew they were petrified of them  Twisted Evil

lol!

lol!

The teacher was probably scared stiff....I would run a mile, hate anything that creepy crawls with more legs than me. pale
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Syl wrote:

Payment for favours...!?

And next teacher gets the heads up as to what rewards can be achieved if they look after certain kids etc...

Hmmm....only a cynic would think bribery was the key motive. Wink
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:02 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Ahh that is so sweet, to give the teacher a pet. Unless the kid knew they were petrified of them  Twisted Evil

lol!

lol!

The teacher was probably scared stiff....I would run a mile, hate anything that creepy crawls with more legs than me. pale

They must be an Einstein, with a great sense of humour.... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:15 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:

I cant find the list I saw about the 10 oddest leaving presents....but I know the daddy long legs topped it. Cool

If it was a primary school kid I bet it was a treasured possession...awww.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:20 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I cant find the list I saw about the 10 oddest leaving presents....but I know the daddy long legs topped it. Cool

To be honest Syl, I bet it was innocent, as to how and why the kid gave the present???

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:

To be honest Syl, I bet it was innocent, as to how and why the kid gave the present???

Well ...child may have said to the parent, shall I buy Miss a bottle of prosecco or a big box of chocolates as a leaving present, or shall I give her my pet daddy long legs?...and the parent would possibly reply, 'she would love the personal touch, how thoughtful........here's a match box'. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:11 pm

Syl wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

Payment for favours...!?

Hmmm....only a cynic would think bribery was the key motive. Wink

I may be cynical... but you must admit that it is dangerous territory for public servants to be in receipt of expensive gifts from people who they are dealing with in an offical capacity, and where their involvement in said dealings/decisions etc must be strictly independent/impartial etc...!?

A clear conflict of interest going on here...!

And where do you draw the line of what is deemed acceptable gift... a cheap bottle of wine for a fiver, or an expensive rare vintage bottle that teacher could sell on ebay for 100 or even 1000 quid...?

Is it a pair of cheap 30 quid trainers... or some top of the range 5000 quid jewel encrusted dodo skinned jimmy choo flip flops that teacher can sell on ebay...??

Why not just start giving teacher some loaded up store cards or hundreds of quids worth of vouchers etc...???

Then why not just bung them brown envelopes of cash instead, so they can just treat themselves to whaever they really want...!!!???

Can you really not see anything wrong with this...?

Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:48 am

I thought it was illegal for a public servant to accept any gift !
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:27 am

Do teachers even want gifts? If they got them from all the children they'd end up with tons of stuff which they could probably never use.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:46 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Do teachers even want gifts? If they got them from all the children they'd end up with tons of stuff which they could probably never use.

Some of the gifts specifically aimed to give to teachers are very nice, though I imagine several mugs bearing the words "To the best teacher ever" would be a bit unwelcome. A nice hand written note would be better.

I can see some pushy parents trying to outdo other mothers with the gifts they buy for teachers....a bit like some always have to buy the most expensive party bags when their kids have a party.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:58 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Do teachers even want gifts? If they got them from all the children they'd end up with tons of stuff which they could probably never use.

Some of the gifts specifically aimed to give to teachers are very nice, though I imagine several mugs bearing the words "To the best teacher ever" would be a bit unwelcome. A nice hand written note would be better.

I can see some pushy parents trying to outdo other mothers with the gifts they buy for teachers....a bit like some always have to buy the most expensive party bags when their kids have a party.

I'm sure they're very nice, but where do they put them all? As you say, where do they put all the mugs/body lotion/hand cream/bath bombs? Chocolates would be nice, but they could end up a wee bit overweight. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:41 pm

A radio discussion about this suggested that bottles of Prosecco would be very welcome.
Not very wise sending a 5 year old kid into school with a bottle of fizz though. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:58 am

All mums in my daughter's class put £10 each in an envelope and bought vouchers for the teacher and the TA.
They ended up with £75 each in vouchers. They cried and were so grateful.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:01 pm

eddie wrote:All mums in my daughter's class put £10 each in an envelope and bought vouchers for the teacher and the TA.
They ended up with £75 each in vouchers.  They cried and were so grateful.

That's nice for the teacher, but I imagine many parents, especially if they have more than one child at school expected to buy the teacher a present, would be hard pressed to find the extra money.

Is this a relatively new idea? I never knew of it when my son was at school....and its not long since my grandkids left and they didn't buy the teachers presents either.

I think its one more pressure to put parents under...a nice hand written card should suffice imo.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:18 pm

Like everything else, it's all got rather silly. I'd rather put a tenner in with everyone else and let them buy something. I wouldn't waste my money on cups and flowers and pencil holders. It's all crap that gets thrown away.

My son had a particularly nice teacher once who really spent time with him as he was gifted in literacy. We bought her a lovely ornate Chinese mug for her pens (she still had it years later too) and we made her a personalised "school report" as though she were the student.
She loved it.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:23 pm

eddie wrote:Like everything else, it's all got rather silly. I'd rather put a tenner in with everyone else and let them buy something. I wouldn't waste my money on cups and flowers and pencil holders. It's all crap that gets thrown away.

My son had a particularly nice teacher once who really spent time with him as he was gifted in literacy. We bought her a lovely ornate Chinese mug for her pens (she still had it years later too) and we made her a personalised "school report" as though she were the student.
She loved it.

I bet she treasures those gifts because thought has gone into them.

I was surprised this year to see shelves in department stores dedicated to gifts for teachers, lots of crap but also some expensive gift sets.....its just another money making game, and it will put some parents under pressure to keep up with everyone else.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:39 pm

+1
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down