NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things not to say to someone of mixed race

+6
Syl
Victorismyhero
Major
Tommy Monk
Raggamuffin
eddie
10 posters

Go down

Things not to say to someone of mixed race  Empty Things not to say to someone of mixed race

Post by eddie Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:32 pm

This was posted on Facebook by an old school friend who's mixed race.
Going to let you watch the video then I'll tell you the stories I know of people with dual heritage (mixed race as it is currently known) and this very issue.

Last edited by eddie on Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Things not to say to someone of mixed race  Empty Re: Things not to say to someone of mixed race

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:35 pm

It's also best not to tell a white person that their legs look like milk bottles, or to laugh at their whiteness when they're on holiday in Greece.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Things not to say to someone of mixed race  Empty Re: Things not to say to someone of mixed race

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:59 pm

One not to say is...

"So... have you seen your dad lately...?"
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Victorismyhero Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:48 pm

find that sort of verbal shit funny do you major?
is it the sort of thing you say, or approve of others saying?

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Some comments from my mixed race friends on this topic in Facebook:

(Names removed)

"Oh yea, "that's the white in you" was a regular one for me!"

"I bet that was the black side of the family?"

"Teachers are the worst for this
They was forever trying to convince my Frankie that she must be one or the other
Some of the kids even called her a 20p mix up"

"Oh yeah and I was called a 'Dolly Mixture'!"
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:00 pm

I don't know why anyone says anything to people of mixed race. It's quite rude really.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:19 pm

Some of those names and remarks mentioned in the video are just plain offensive, no matter what race or colour you may be.

I admit I have had to retrain my mind to think mixed race rather than half caste.
Words change over time, what was acceptable a few years ago is not considered pc now.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:48 pm

I haven't met any mixed race people who would be offended by the old school use of the phrase "half caste". I've used it around black people and mixed race people and they've not corrected me and told me not to worry when I've corrected myself. Mind you, these are all my people, people I've known years and their adult children who call me "auntie".
Actually some of them think it's stupid to change the term and have said it's "PC foolishness".
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:53 pm

My son hated that term and used to correct me if I said it....so now I don't use it, it took a while though.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:04 pm

My son is 15 and half, and his generation use the term mixed race because it's been taught to them and used around them.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:08 pm

Its probably an age thing. The youngsters in the video didn't like the term and preferred mixed race....probably in a generation or so that term wont be acceptable, language is ever evolving.
It's the keeping up with it that's the hard bit. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Syl wrote:Its probably an age thing. The youngsters in the video didn't like the term and preferred mixed race....probably in a generation or so that term wont be acceptable, language is ever evolving.

Innit fam.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:18 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:Its probably an age thing. The youngsters in the video didn't like the term and preferred mixed race....probably in a generation or so that term wont be acceptable, language is ever evolving.

Innit fam.

What? scratch
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:40 pm

"...then they were like... 'isit!?'... and I was like... 'yeah... for real...'... then she was like...'oh no... thats so dead... I can't believe they would snake me like that fam...'..."
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:29 pm

half caste or part caste is still generally acceptable down here.
mixed race sounds more like a reference to a group than an individual.

mind you to just be 2 races down here is nothing special, plenty can list 3 to 5 races in just going back to grandparents.
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:35 pm

I have black friends and mixed race friends. Here in the UK, we say mixed race. My mixed race friend told me that the worst racism she suffered from when she visited the States.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:49 pm

Major. I can almost hear you snickering as you type those one liners- says a lot about you that you keep posting them.

Times change. I see no reason not to be aware of what people shouldn't say to avoid offense. There are exceptions of course if you have a close friendship with people- otherwise just be aware.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:05 am

HoratioTarr wrote:I have black friends and mixed race friends.   Here in the UK, we say mixed race.   My mixed race friend told me that the worst racism she suffered from when she visited the States.

yeah the race issue is worse in the USA.

I think in the UK there is probably more silent racists. (they probably get it out through a keyboard )
and it is probably confined to nasty names as opposed to the violence that is sometimes seen in the USA.

what is probably quite advantageous down here is that a lot of whites are mixed Europeans (thanks to post WW2 migration.) and that is also WHY we know it is not an real issue, because it used to be 'wogs' that were the issue(my fathers generation 60's & 70's) then the Asians in the 80's and 90's. now it is Africans and Arabs (although there has been smaller Middle eastern populations since the 70's) .

give it a generation and everyone is accepted as being 'Aussie' Wink plus once the part castes start being born here it's fairly inarguable. Razz Razz
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:02 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:I have black friends and mixed race friends.   Here in the UK, we say mixed race.   My mixed race friend told me that the worst racism she suffered from when she visited the States.

yeah the race issue is worse in the USA.

I think in the UK there is probably more silent racists. (they probably get it out through a keyboard )
and it is probably confined to nasty names as opposed to the violence that is sometimes seen in the USA.  

what is probably quite advantageous down here is that a lot of whites are mixed Europeans (thanks to post WW2 migration.)  and that is also WHY we know it is not an real issue, because it used to be 'wogs' that were the issue(my fathers generation 60's & 70's)  then the Asians in the 80's and 90's. now it is Africans and Arabs (although there has been smaller Middle eastern populations since the 70's) .

give it a generation and everyone is accepted as being 'Aussie' Wink  plus once the part castes start being born here it's fairly inarguable.   Razz  Razz

We definitely have racists here, of course, but it's very much a zero tolerance thing in Britain. It gets stamped on in the workplace from the get go. As does any sexism or homophobia. You'll lose your job if you go down that path. And rightly so. I have a friend in the States who suffers the most awful sexism in her workplace. When I tell her that here, it's just not tolerated, she's like....'They make my life a misery and there's nothing I can do.' I find that pretty appalling in a country like America.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:23 pm

Major wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

We definitely have racists here, of course, but it's very much a zero tolerance thing in Britain.   It gets stamped on in the workplace from the get go.   As does any sexism or homophobia.  You'll lose your job if you go down that path.  And rightly so.    I have a friend in the States who suffers the most awful sexism in her workplace.   When I tell her that here, it's just not tolerated, she's like....'They make my life a misery and there's nothing I can do.'   I find that pretty appalling in a country like America.

Will you kindly tell us 3 so called sexism incidents which have occurred or could occur which have or could SERIOUSLY affect yourself in a workplace environment?????? 

I will answer...it's a while since I worked but some things don't change.

1....Women are picked or rejected for certain jobs totally depending on their looks not their ability.

2.....Women of child bearing age will sometimes be overlooked by potential employers because they  will possibly get pregnant and cause the firm money and inconvenience.

3.....The most obvious one....unwanted sexual remarks, put downs  or advances, especially in male dominated professions like police and  army.

And STILL women still get paid less than their male counterparts across the board.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/mar/07/gender-pay-gap-uk-women-earn-300000-less-men-lifetime

"Women are likely to earn £300,000 less than men over their working lives, according to a new analysis that has sparked fresh calls for more shared parental leave to close the UK’s stubborn gender pay gap."

Last edited by Syl on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:37 pm

Laters Major.

Yes sexual harassment has always gone on in the workplace, working in night clubs and restaurants for years I saw (and experienced ) a lot of it.
Personally I handled it, I saw some women really distressed by it though, and I have to say in my own experience the men were seldom disciplined.

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Major wrote:Thank you for replying Syl.

The sexual remarks, innuendo has gone on since time began, I have never done it myself, HONESTLy.
I understand some of it can be harmless but I cannot imagine anyone I know saying something really filthy to a young lady or older one for that matter.
Lots of people I know are from the entertainment/pub scene and they take most of the banter with a pinch of salt.

Gotta go, see ya later.

Everything she said. Next time you feel you get 'picked on' on here, just take the 'banter' with a pinch of salt
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:08 pm

Major wrote:
In Australia where the men are men (supposedly)   lol!   and boomuz are glad of it, is there any names called/associated to the offsprings of Aboriginal/ dark/ un-whites/ white people which are said by some to be offensive????? 

Rolling Eyes

Actually, little faux_Major,  you have accidentally and inadvertently added a new phrase to our common vernacular down here :

When we Aussies see some unthinking and brainless nong creating racist slurs in the future, we can say "he/she's just being another Pte. Stormee !"       tongue
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Right, major I'm irritated by you today.

If you can't use the quote box properly - like you can't seem to elsewhere - then don't post ok?

You're doing the same shit you try everywhere else and I am not going to let you do it. Seems today you have a problem with posting but usually, on here, you're okay.

Stop it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:49 pm

eddie wrote:Right, major I'm irritated by you today.

If you can't use the quote box properly - like you can't seem to elsewhere - then don't post ok?

You're doing the same shit you try everywhere else and I am not going to let you do it. Seems today you have a problem with posting but usually, on here, you're okay.

Stop it.

Major, always type your reply under the............ [/quote] ...........your post wont get mixed in with anyone elses then.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:51 pm

I would never call someone "half caste" - I think that sounds really awful. Neutral
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:57 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:Right, major I'm irritated by you today.

Stop it.

Major, always type your reply under the............
...........your post wont get mixed in with anyone elses then.[/quote]

He knows already. He's just being a fuckwit today.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:00 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

...........your post wont get mixed in with anyone elses then.

He knows already. He's just being a fuckwit today. [/quote]

Did you do that on purpose Eddie? Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:09 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

...........your post wont get mixed in with anyone elses then.

Did you do that on purpose Eddie? Razz[/quote]

What do you think? Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:15 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

I don't know...I got a bit confused. :face:

Did you do that on purpose Eddie? Razz

What do you think? Cool [/quote]
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Just add your reply under the last...... [/quote]...... box and it will be right.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Major stop it, last warning.
You know exactly how to post.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:17 pm

You're going in the basement and you can start a thread in there and practice to your heart's fucking content.

PM me when you have the hang of it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:25 pm

And wear one of these whilst you are at it. Razz

Things not to say to someone of mixed race  The-dunce-picture-id90852581
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down