NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teenage cyberbullying victim mocked on Facebook days after suicide in front of parents

+2
Syl
eddie
6 posters

Go down

Teenage cyberbullying victim mocked on Facebook days after suicide in front of parents Empty Teenage cyberbullying victim mocked on Facebook days after suicide in front of parents

Post by eddie Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:15 pm

Teenage cyberbullying victim mocked on Facebook days after suicide in front of parents

A teenager who shot herself in front of her family after cyberbullies made fun of her weight is still being mocked by fake Facebook profiles.

Fake profiles showing Brandy Vela's face superimposed onto a pig and Photoshopped alongside guns have been shared with the Texas City Police Department.

"I thought this was all behind us but it's not over," her father Raul told KHOU. "I know what she was going through now. It's not that easy just to shut it off and let it go."

Brandy, 18, killed herself on Tuesday 29 November, placing a gun to her chest in her bedroom in front of her parents and grandparents.

Speaking in the days after her death, the family told local news source Click2Houston that anonymous messages sent through encrypted apps and fake Facebook profiles mocked their daughter's weight.

Her sister Jacqueline, 22, said: "They would put her picture and lie about her age and say she is giving herself up for sex for free.... [The authorities] always say the same thing: they can't do anything about it."

Facebook apologises to LGBTQ community over naming policy

The attacks were reported to the police, but the messages could not be traced. The recently-created Facebook profiles have since been removed by the social media company, following complaints registered by friends, family and supporters.

Following Brandy's suicide, the Texas City Police Department said in a statement that it was investigating the cyber-bullying attacks. No arrests have yet been made.

Brandy's final text message reportedly ran: "I love you so much just remember that please and I'm so sorry for everything."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/facebook-cyberbullying-victim-rebecca-ann-sedwick-after-suicide-fake-profiles-florida-a7473606.html
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Teenage cyberbullying victim mocked on Facebook days after suicide in front of parents Empty Re: Teenage cyberbullying victim mocked on Facebook days after suicide in front of parents

Post by eddie Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:19 pm

This is heartbreaking. I don't understand people at all.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Teenage cyberbullying victim mocked on Facebook days after suicide in front of parents Empty Re: Teenage cyberbullying victim mocked on Facebook days after suicide in front of parents

Post by Syl Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:49 pm

It is heart breaking....I don't know how people can be so cruel, they will be the same sort of people who trawl round obituary sites leaving disgusting messages, sometimes to grieving families when their young children have died.
Its the downside of the internet....and whilst people can post incognito I don't see how it can ever be stopped.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:21 pm

Hope they are proud of themselves, they're too thick to be ashamed
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:36 pm

Miffs2 wrote:Hope they are proud of themselves, they're too thick to be ashamed

I don't know if that's always the case Miffs....they feel no shame because they are incognito, but on the very rare occasions these people are outed they usually scurry away from the cameras like rats deserting a sinking ship.

Remember the troll Brenda Leyland who hounded the McCans? she actually committed suicide herself when her cover was blown.
She was trolled herself when it became public how she had acted....such a vicious circle.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:28 pm

Syl wrote:

I don't know if that's always the case Miffs....they feel no shame because they are incognito, but on the very rare occasions these people are outed they usually scurry away from the cameras like rats deserting a sinking ship.

Remember the troll Brenda Leyland who hounded the McCans? she actually committed suicide herself when her cover was blown.
She was trolled herself when it became public how she had acted....such a vicious circle.

I remember her.
Miffs2
Miffs2
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:40 pm

Syl wrote:

I don't think she was a "troll", possibly someone with mental health issues who thought she was doing the right thing.
Bella
Bella
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:22 pm

Bella wrote:
Syl wrote:

I don't think she was a "troll", possibly someone with mental health issues who thought she was doing the right thing.

Who knows what goes on in someones mind when they act like this.
Did she commit suicide because her standing in the community had been ruined....or was she suffering from some form of mental illness?
To be honest, I think anyone who sends hate messages anonymously must have mental problems....it was a nasty case though.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/20/sky-news-mccann-brenda-leyland

On 30 September she was approached by Brunt and a cameraman outside her village home in Burton Overy, Leicestershire, after the journalist was given a dossier containing details of people allegedly posting abusive tweets about Kate and Gerry McCann, whose daughter Madeleine disappeared in Portugal in 2007. Leyland had posted or reposted more than 400 tweets about the McCanns, the inquest heard.
Brunt said he identified himself and asked her: “Why are you using your Twitter account to attack the McCanns?”
At first she did not respond, then replied: “I’m entitled to.”
“I said: ’Are you aware that your tweets are contained in a dossier that has been passed to Scotland Yard?’ And she said: ‘That’s fair enough.’”
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:40 pm

Well, I think she was unwell and somewhat obsessed with the Madeline case. I doubt she ever thought she would be doorstepped by the press. http://www.anorak.co.uk/416045/madeleine-mccann/madeleine-mccann-innocent-brenda-leyland-was-hounded-to-death-by-the-trollhunters.html/
Bella
Bella
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:44 pm

I don't believe that anyone who targets people anonymously think they will ever be found out....that's why they do it.
It's ironic that the very thing that she did was then done to her after she was exposed.

I didn't have much sympathy for her tbh.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:56 pm

Syl wrote:I don't believe that anyone who targets people anonymously think they will ever be found out....that's why they do it.
It's ironic that the very thing that she did was then done to her after she was exposed.

As you know I find it hard to articulate myself in writing, however looked it up and this article is what I think too.

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/womens-issues/brenda-leyland-wasnt-troll-didnt-deserve-die-544755.html
Bella
Bella
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:02 pm

Okay, what can we learn from this horrible bullying?
Once it was to the face of people.
Now it is behind the comfort of their i-phones or PC's etc that their target their victims.

Points to consider.

What has previously changed with bullying that leads to suicide?

How can we all adjust to this technology to help prevent such tragedies?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:22 pm

You see?
This is my point.
We look at such a horrible event and reflect on this and never look to the root cause of why some children end up being so unhappy.

Do they have earlier aspects that play a part in their insecurities?

We only reflect on the end elements that pushed them over the edge. What are we accomplishing by doing so?

Yes, we should get to grips with all bullying, but its not the whole picture as to why people end up with mental health problems. As this poor girl clearly did. What signs are often being missed that parents, teachers and friends are missing. That ends up leading to such a tragic loss of life? Are we always sadly concentrating on what was the final aspects that caused this tragic death and not its beginnings?

That is where we truly need to look back from, to learn from and hopefully prevent anymore of these tragedies. I am not diminishing any of the blame from those that pushed her over the edge. My view is we need to recognize when children do need help and to protect them from believing that all hope is lost. That they then end up sadly taking their lives.

This is my point here. Its no good dwelling on the actual tragedy, but on how early recognition of someones problems and needs can prevent this child's death from happening.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi Thorin
Depression and mental problems are not easy to diagnose and are often overlooked, especially in teens.
There is still such a stigma attached to it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:42 pm

eddie wrote:Hi Thorin
Depression and mental problems are not easy to diagnose and are often overlooked, especially in teens.
There is still such a stigma attached to it.

I agree Eddie and where we must look to where the root cause of these problems start.

These bullying actions, are just the point that tips them sadly over the edge.

The first key is to tackle the stigma on mental health itself..

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Allow me to give you your first green.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:47 pm

eddie wrote:Allow me to give you your first green.

Thank you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:04 pm

Thorin wrote:You see?
This is my point.
We look at such a horrible event and reflect on this and never look to the root cause of why some children end up being so unhappy.

We only reflect on the end elements that pushed them over the edge. What are we accomplishing by doing so?

Yes, we should get to grips with all bullying, but its not the whole picture as to why people end up with mental health problems. As this poor girl clearly did. What signs are often being missed that parents, teachers and friends are missing. That ends up leading to such a tragic loss of life? Are we always sadly concentrating on what was the final aspects that caused this tragic death and not its beginnings?

That is where we truly need to look back from, to learn from and hopefully prevent anymore of these tragedies. I am not diminishing any of the blame from those that pushed her over the edge. My view is we need to recognize when children do need help and to protect them from believing that all hope is lost. That they then end up sadly taking their lives.

This is my point here. Its no good dwelling on the actual tragedy, but on how early recognition of someones problems and needs can prevent this child's death from happening.

I would imagine the poor girl had existing mental health issues before she took her own life. I think young folk are overwhelmed with our education system and added to that all the pressure of social media. I will add I took my Lad out of school when he was 13, he is very dyslexic but very high IQ but was stressed because  whatof he couldn't do . Looking after my late Dad and Bro was also a stress at the time. He's now a reasonably happy 17 year old who has a good friend group, we are party central here. He holds down a part time job and studies when he wishes. I think he is more mature than his mates and now keen learn because all pressure was taken away , everything in his own time. It has been a learning experience for me too, unlearning all that rigid school thing but it has paid off.
Bella
Bella
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:19 pm

Bella wrote:
Thorin wrote:You see?
This is my point.

I would imagine the poor girl had existing mental health issues before she took her own life. I think young folk are overwhelmed with our education system and added to that all the pressure of social media. I will add I took my Lad out of school when he was 13, he is very dyslexic but very high IQ but was stressed because  whatof he couldn't do . Looking after my late Dad and Bro was also a stress at the time. He's now a reasonably happy 17 year old who has a good friend group, we are party central here. He holds down a part time job and studies when he wishes. I think he is more mature than his mates and now keen learn because all pressure was taken away , everything in his own time. It has been a learning experience for me too, unlearning all that rigid school thing but it has paid off.

Normally children with dyslexia have high IQ's and are generally very gifted but unable to come to terms with people skills. So I understand why you decided on the choice you made. The point is though you were clearly supportive and loving. This goes a long way to quell fears and anxieties that people have with mental health. Plus the fact you and others were able to recognize he had dyslexia. Others are not so fortunate and its not the educating system that is at fault here per say, but again recognizing where people have special needs.

I applaud you for what you have done for your son. As you have placed his needs where it matters most. As he needs that extra help to find his feet in life and it no doubt has allowed him to find the courage and strength to overcome some of his fears. Again to me, the root cause is being able to see the early warning signs, which schools have to play a part and like Eddie says, being able to overcome stigma's on mental health.

I imagine this girl clearly had issue's long before the bullying and she looks to me in hindsight as if she is hiding behind a veil or mask of makeup. She is beautiful and her eyes are stunning, but it is to what made her have or become so low in self esteem, that we need to look at the root cause of. What part did society and image play a part on this poor child's esteem. Play in how she just wanted to be accepted?

That is why I want to know where the root cause began. To me its the most important aspect in helping people, just as you did with your son.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Thorin wrote:
Bella wrote:

Normally children with dyslexia have high IQ's and are generally very gifted but unable to come to terms with people skills. So I understand why you decided on the choice you made. The point is though you were clearly supportive and loving. This goes a long way to quell fears and anxieties that people have with mental health. Plus the fact you and others were able to recognize he had dyslexia. Others are not so fortunate and its not the educating system that is at fault here per say, but again recognizing where people have special needs.

I applaud you for what you have done for your son. As you have placed his needs where it matters most. As he needs that extra help to find his feet in life and it no doubt has allowed him to find the courage and strength to overcome some of his fears. Again to me, the root cause is being able to see the early warning signs, which schools have to play a part and like Eddie says, being able to overcome stigma's on mental health.

I imagine this girl clearly had issue's long before the bullying and she looks to me in hindsight as if she is hiding behind a veil or mask of makeup. She is beautiful and her eyes are stunning, but it is to what made her have or become so low in self esteem, that we need to look at the root cause of. What part did society and image play a part on this poor child's esteem. Play in how she just wanted to be accepted?

That is why I want to know where the root cause began. To me its the most important aspect in helping people, just as you did with your son.

Thank you for your kind post. May I correct you though, Dyslexia doesn't directly cause issues with "people skills" apart from the lack of self confidence that can arise through not being able to communicate through written word or ride a bike or remember your times tables and so on. Smile
Bella
Bella
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:52 pm

Bella wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Thank you for your kind post. May I correct you though, Dyslexia doesn't directly cause issues with "people skills" apart from the lack of self confidence that can arise through not being able to communicate through written word or ride a bike or remember your times tables and so on. Smile

You are welcome. Sorry, I should have made myself more clear and I guess this comes from my own personal expricence. As I did not mean it directly leads to problems with people skills, but can often do so. It can often lead to issues with people skills, due to confidence over their frustrations to understand. My brother has a form of dyslexia and is highly intelligent. His form makes him unable to explain things to people that are complex to us, that only he understands and are easy for him. He finds it difficult to explain them. They are mindbogglingly intelligent. He just fails to place and format this into words that people understand. Its the frustration that leads to at times people skills issues. Each person is different and copes also differently.

Though one thing here is evident. You should pass on your experience to others. In order that they too can learn from both your experiences. It really can help other families.

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:12 am

Thorin wrote:
Bella wrote:

You are welcome. Sorry, I should have made myself more clear and I guess this comes from my own personal expricence. As I did not mean it directly leads to problems with people skills, but can often do so. It can often lead to issues with people skills, due to confidence over their frustrations to understand. My brother has a form of dyslexia and is highly intelligent. His form makes him unable to explain things to people that are complex to us, that only he understands and are easy for him. He finds it difficult to explain them. They are mindbogglingly intelligent. He just fails to place and format this into words that people understand. Its the frustration that leads to at times people skills issues. Each person is different and copes also differently.

Though one thing here is evident. You should pass on your experience to others. In order that they too can learn from both your experiences. It really can help other families.

Smile

Re your Bro
I guess some of us see some of our thoughts in pictures or like a video, it's hard to explain all that information especially if you find the written word difficult .Far easier to use Art,music or design etc to explain ones self.

But these days education is a robotic experience, children are taught facts so they can pass exams. They are not "taught" to want to learn in autonomous way. Far to much stress to get to university and decide what you want to do for the rest of your life at such a young age.
Bella
Bella
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:44 am

Bella wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Smile

Re your Bro
I guess some of us see some of our thoughts in pictures or like a video, it's hard to explain all that information especially if you find the written word difficult .Far easier to use Art,music or design etc to explain ones self.

But these days education is a robotic experience, children are taught facts so they can pass exams. They are not "taught" to want to learn in autonomous way. Far to much stress to get to university and decide what you want to do for the rest of your life at such a young age.

Wise words

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Bella wrote:
Syl wrote:I don't believe that anyone who targets people anonymously think they will ever be found out....that's why they do it.

As you know I find it hard to articulate myself in writing, however looked it up and this article is what I think too.

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/womens-issues/brenda-leyland-wasnt-troll-didnt-deserve-die-544755.html

Firstly I think you articulate yourself very well Bella, better than many in fact.

Everyone has an opinion...I do think she was a troll, trolls don't have to swear or threaten, but they do target people anonymously....sending thousands of messages of condemnation to anyone is trolling imo.

There is something about the internet that gives people the opinion they are all experts in everything, judge, jury and executioner in every case. We do it on forums, we all have opinions and many times we think we are right (often we are not Laughing ) but that doesn't stop us waffling on.
Trolls take it further, they hound people....just as she did, and the trolls who hounded her were no better or worse than she was.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:05 pm

I did - people don't generally kill themselves on a whim.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:07 pm

I hope they find these people who hounded the poor girl and prosecute them, especially those who posted horrible things after her death. Her poor family must feel devastated enough without that kind of thing.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I hope they find these people who hounded the poor girl and prosecute them, especially those who posted horrible things after her death. Her poor family must feel devastated enough without that kind of thing.

Quite right rags
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:27 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I hope they find these people who hounded the poor girl and prosecute them, especially those who posted horrible things after her death. Her poor family must feel devastated enough without that kind of thing.

Quite right rags

It's difficult to prove cause and effect in such a death, but I just think that people can't be allowed to carry on in that manner with impunity.
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:

Quite right rags

It's difficult to prove cause and effect in such a death, but I just think that people can't be allowed to carry on in that manner with impunity.

No, it's appalling behaviour.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:19 pm

Also another reason for gun control.... if she had downed a box of pills (a friend did that in High school) there is a chance to rush her to hospital and save her. and stabbing yourself on purpose fatally is ridiculously hard.

veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bella Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:

I did - people don't generally kill themselves on a whim.

Yes, I did too. She didn't keep her a identity a secret after all, she had a forum (if I remember rightly) where she posted all about her son and family life.
Bella
Bella
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down