NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could you fall in love with a robot?

+3
Ben Reilly
eddie
Syl
7 posters

Go down

Could you fall in love with a robot? Empty Could you fall in love with a robot?

Post by Syl Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:15 pm

http://bigthink.com/philip-perry/can-you-fall-in-love-with-a-robot

Apparently it's not as far fetched as you may think.

"There are indications that falling for a robot is possible. For instance, research shows that people who chitchat via email, messenger, on the phone, or through text often feel a more intimate bond than those who chat face-to-face. The pressure is off, and so too might it be with a robot.

Anyone who has found love complicated, basically all of us, has wished for a simpler relationship, and a robot lover may fit the bill."

Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Could you fall in love with a robot? Empty Re: Could you fall in love with a robot?

Post by eddie Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:36 pm

Interesting.

Could I fall in love with a robot? Well no, because it couldn't love me back. Even chatting ....they have no emotions, so....I don't get it?

Clipped from the article:

"Another stumbling block is whether or not the robot could love you back. Today, our mechanized counterparts can recognize human facial expressions and respond to them. This isn’t the robot feeling the emotion itself or responding out of empathy, but merely out of programming..."

Hmmmm. It's not real feeling is it?

Sometimes I like to tell Siri that he's a tosser and to find me some new music.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Could you fall in love with a robot? Empty Re: Could you fall in love with a robot?

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:49 pm

Who's to say our own emotions aren't just programming?

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/there-is-growing-evidence-that-our-universe-is-a-giant-hologram
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:10 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Who's to say our own emotions aren't just programming?

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/there-is-growing-evidence-that-our-universe-is-a-giant-hologram

Way to take the colour out of a rainbow!
How depressing
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:11 pm

Well that article just went "blah blah waffle waffle blah" and I was scratch
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by magica Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:05 pm

Me too Eddie Sleep
magica
magica
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Syl Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:17 pm

Has anyone ever seen the TV series 'Catfish'?
It shows how people can fall in love with an online fantasy.....they are communicating with someone who they believe to be their perfect match, even though they have never met, sometimes they have never spoken, never seen real pictures ( the ones they have seen are always false images) yet they are in love.
So what they are in love with are words on a screen, not a real person.

So actually loving a robot seems preferable to loving a screen.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:52 pm

Syl wrote:Has anyone ever seen the TV series 'Catfish'?
It shows how people can fall in love with an online fantasy.....they are communicating with someone who they believe to be their perfect match, even though they have never met, sometimes they have never spoken, never seen real pictures ( the ones they have seen are always  false images) yet they are in love.
So what they are in love with are words on a screen, not a real person.

So actually loving a robot seems preferable to loving a screen.

It takes a long time to get know someone whether online or not, and let's face it, you can meet someone in a bar and start dating and find out five years later that they were liars and not quite what they seemed.....or even twenty years later in some cases!
It all depends what you're saying to each other when you're talking online, it can be intimate or friendly. It depends upon the people.
A friend of mine chats to someone online - and he rarely wants to know much about her. He does want pics of her tits though Rolling Eyes

I couldn't date someone who doesn't turn my mind on anyway.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:27 pm

I used to post with a woman who had had a cyber relationship.
It filled a real need for her at that time, and she had no intention of meeting or even speaking to him via phone or webcam that would have spoiled the illusion.
It was the words they exchanged that was the attraction, I believe she loved that person through his words.

The relationship we have with technology now can often surpass the relationships we have with real people....look how many people ignore the ones they are with to talk or text someone they cant see or feel.

I can honestly see in the not so distant future robots supplying romantic relationships.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:19 pm

See if I chat to someone long enough online I think it's nice to speak on the phone.
Sometimes I guess, people are shy so online chat rooms are best for them.

As for the robot....just no. Never for me.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:39 pm

Wow, I got pretty epically smacked down for sharing my view!

But I didn't make it up. Just because some of you haven't heard of it or find it off-putting doesn't mean it isn't an idea being taken seriously by a lot of smart people.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:53 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Wow, I got pretty epically smacked down for sharing my view!

But I didn't make it up. Just because some of you haven't heard of it or find it off-putting doesn't mean it isn't an idea being taken seriously by a lot of smart people.

I didn't understand it cos I'm thick.
No one was "smacking you down". This is what smacking you down looks like

Could you fall in love with a robot? 859118666
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:04 pm

It was all a bit 'Men in black' to me......if anyone has seen the ending of the film they will understand.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:09 pm

Well, I looked again and I couldn't see a correlation between loving a robot and the world being a hologram.
I don't get it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:48 pm

Thread diversity?
Robots are actually here now, they are not an illusion....actually I thought I understood but sometimes over thinking gives me a headache. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:12 pm

I tried cyber sex once........but I couldnt find the input port......
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:16 pm

Just as well....you might not be alive now. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:48 am

Yeah. Whatever. You freak of nature.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:15 am

eddie wrote:Well, I looked again and I couldn't see a correlation between loving a robot and the world being a hologram.
I don't get it.

Well, you said a robot couldn’t have feelings since it would all be programmed. But if this is a hologram, it's all programmed. See? I'm not as crazy as all that.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:36 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
eddie wrote:Well, I looked again and I couldn't see a correlation between loving a robot and the world being a hologram.
I don't get it.

Well, you said a robot couldn’t have feelings since it would all be programmed. But if this is a hologram, it's all programmed. See? I'm not as crazy as all that.

Why didn't you just say that in the first place? Could you fall in love with a robot? 2794048296
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down