NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ALERT -- possible site disruption

3 posters

Go down

ALERT -- possible site disruption Empty ALERT -- possible site disruption

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:12 pm

Long story short, I got an email from forumotion.com saying that if we didn't "activate your domain name email address" as soon as possible, we could lose our domain name.

In case that happens, you can still find the forum by going to newsfix.niceboard.com.

Meanwhile, I'll try to figure out what the hell forumotion means ...

Last edited by Ben Reilly on Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

ALERT -- possible site disruption Empty Re: ALERT -- possible site disruption

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:18 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Long story short, I got an email from forumotion.com saying that if we didn't "activate your domain name email address" as soon as possible, we could lose our domain name.

In case that happens, you can still find the forum by going to newsfix.niceboard.net.

Meanwhile, I'll try to figure out what the hell forumotion means ...

Just googled this, not sure if it helps:

Only the forums that have acquired a domain name via Forumotion benefit from this option.Forums having an external domain name and having done a redirection, of the type CNAME, can't have this feature

1. I have a domain name acquired through Forumotion, how do I create a personalized email for my forum?

If your domain name has already been validated by Forumotion and your forum already has it's domain name (To find out, all you have to do is type the domain name of your forum in the links bar and press enter. If you land on your forum, then it worked and all is well) then you can follow these steps, otherwise you'll need to await for the activation of your domain name.

To begin go to Administration Panel => Misc => managing mailboxes

You will arrive on a page that gives you a list of mailboxes and redirection used on your domain name. For now, you have 0! Note that you can create up to 10 e-mail boxes and redirects to your forum! 

Then fill out the form: 

Important note:the name of the e-mail (e-mail) + password chosen are your coordinates identification for your e-mail box! If you forget the password of your personal e-mail box, simply return to this stage, edit the e-mail box and change the password.

and confirm:

Congratulations, your mailbox is now set up!You will see it in the summary table that summarizes the list of mailboxes. 

And as you see, your table of statistics on your e-mail boxes will display: 1 / 10. This means that you have created an e-mail box, and you still have 9 available!

2. I created my personal mailbox. Now, how do I get there? 

Nothing could be easier! You just use the webmail address made available to you at the top of the page

The identification page in your account is as follows: 

Enter the e-mail + password and click the button connection and voila…!

3.And redirects, what is that? How can I create them?

A redirection email address is a mail whose content is automatically redirected to another address (Example: all e-mails entering the box you@yourdomain.com will be redirected to the box: you@yahoo.com).

For this, go to Administration panel=>Misc=>Managing mailboxes 

Then fill out the form: 

then save. 

Congratulations, your redirection is now created! You will see in the summary table that summarizes the list of redirects.

In this case, all e-mails sent to email-of-my-forum@mydomain.com will be automatically redirected to my-email@yahoo.com and my-email@gmail.com

And as you see, your table of statistics on your e-mail boxes will display: 1 / 10. This means that you have created a redirection, and you still have 9 available!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:36 pm

That may be related to the problem -- I just posted about it on the Help Forum, hopefully I get an answer.

Here's the e-mail I got:

ALERT -- possible site disruption Forumotion_zpszpntjpwm

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it seems very vague.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:52 pm

Well, I'm getting some pissy responses over there!

Also, please see an edit to the OP I'm about to make ...
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:01 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Well, I'm getting some pissy responses over there!

Also, please see an edit to the OP I'm about to make ...

Have a link?

As happy to go over and offer support, if they are being pissy and the more that do, might make them sit up and listen

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:05 pm

http://help.forumotion.com/t148018-cryptic-e-mail-suggests-service-disruption-tells-me-to-take-unspecified-action-as-soon-as-possible

They've got some admin who barely speaks English and he/she keeps throwing gibberish at me like "The activation email is in the mail in the domain address mail only." ????
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:11 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:http://help.forumotion.com/t148018-cryptic-e-mail-suggests-service-disruption-tells-me-to-take-unspecified-action-as-soon-as-possible

They've got some admin who barely speaks English and he/she keeps throwing gibberish at me like "The activation email is in the mail in the domain address mail only." ????

I would have to join to confer.

1) Ask him/her to C&P the previous emails, so as to check if there was any problems with them being sent?
Say you are not disputing they have been sent, only if there has been some techinical issue or that they were sent on the incorrect email

2) Ask him/her to simplify in non technical terms exactly what is needed to be done,
I.E an idiots step by step guide, as its complete jargon to me also.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:13 pm

Also point out you are American and not English, as his/her first language is French

Laughing

That may help also

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:17 pm

I wonder if those emails ended up in your spam folder and were deleted automatically after a certain number of days?
If they sent the reminders on an unfarmiliar email address??

That they need to take into consideration

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:18 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:That may be related to the problem -- I just posted about it on the Help Forum, hopefully I get an answer.

Here's the e-mail I got:

Don't know the Rational Behind it all; but the other political forum I'm a voting member of, was just recently told that if we wanted to keep our Domain Name we could purchase it for $35,000 dollars ALERT -- possible site disruption 265384880   Suspect  
Well, that seemed rather a STEEP - GOUGING price for something we'd had since 2001 and the current owner had taken it over when the previous owner got gravely ill and then died.  Our server account has changed names and logistic location 5 times since 2001 and we only pay to keep our Community 'AD FREE' and that's a minimal fee.
But there certainly is something 'shifting' out in the world of 'domain servers' and I'm not sure the 'reasons behind it all'.

But Forumotion is a group of mostly foreign speaking people and their software guru's are mostly 'foreign speaking' people; do you not have a buddy within the Admin in Forumotion to fall back on when you have questions?

Ahhhh- haaaa; just as I suspected ...you didn't purchase this domain name, didn't you say you acquired ownership of this community from someone else - it was just passed over to you via ownership transfer?

I clicked onto your link and read the Admin's first PM to you >
LeviosaAdministrator
ALERT -- possible site disruption Admin11Hello,

You have to validate your domain email address. Normaly you had received a email to the domain email address when you've bought it, you have to click on the link provided otherwise you will lost your domain name.
That's EXACTLY, what is going on!

Last edited by 4EVER2 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:18 pm

Also ask Victor to contact Korben, or if you can yourself, as he will know what to do

Back to top Go down

ALERT -- possible site disruption Empty **BUMPED** trying to get around Didge's BS ...

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:27 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:That may be related to the problem -- I just posted about it on the Help Forum, hopefully I get an answer.

Here's the e-mail I got:

Don't know the Rational Behind it all; but the other political forum I'm a voting member of, was just recently told that if we wanted to keep our Domain Name we could purchase it for $35,000 dollars ALERT -- possible site disruption 265384880   Suspect  
Well, that seemed rather a STEEP - GOUGING price for something we'd had since 2001 and the current owner had taken it over when the previous owner got gravely ill and then died.  Our server account has changed names and logistic location 5 times since 2001 and we only pay to keep our Community 'AD FREE' and that's a minimal fee.
But there certainly is something 'shifting' out in the world of 'domain servers' and I'm not sure the 'reasons behind it all'.

But Forumotion is a group of mostly foreign speaking people and their software guru's are mostly 'foreign speaking' people; do you not have a buddy within the Admin in Forumotion to fall back on when you have questions?

Ahhhh- haaaa; just as I suspected ...you didn't purchase this domain name, didn't you say you acquired ownership of this community from someone else - it was just passed over to you via ownership transfer?

LeviosaAdministrator

You have to validate your domain email address. Normaly you had received a email to the domain email address when you've bought it, you have to click on the link provided otherwise you will lost your domain name.
**BUMPED** For Ben's FYI ~~~

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:31 pm

I'm having a similar problem with sorting my email with my site name on Forumotion. Ben, you once mentioned that there were several claimants to the name 'NEWSFIX'...that there are several people using that name or names similar. Each has to have an email addy to ground it on Forumotion's lists. Could it be that someone there has crossed wires and gotten the wrong email addy for you?

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:31 pm

UPDATE ...I've read all of the PM's between Ben & Leviosa and she's trying to find the 'Original' email that was sent to the 'DOMAIN OWNER'S EMAIL ADDY'; they are working on the solution to the problem!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:33 pm

4EVER2 wrote:UPDATE ...I've read all of the PM's between Ben & Leviosa and she's trying to find the 'Original' email that was sent to the 'DOMAIN OWNER'S EMAIL ADDY'; they are working on the solution to the problem!

Gd. Good job, 4Eva. Smile

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:39 pm

Why not PM Dean on Inaflap as well Ben, as he must to have had to have done this also.
You still have your account?
Or just use his site email?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:41 pm

4EVER2 wrote:UPDATE ...I've read all of the PM's between Ben & Leviosa and she's trying to find the 'Original' email that was sent to the 'DOMAIN OWNER'S EMAIL ADDY'; they are working on the solution to the problem!

Really?

Where?

There is no post saying that

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:43 pm

They've got me thoroughly confused, but one thing's for certain -- while I did get and still have a confirmation e-mail after I renewed the domain name, I got nothing with a link saying I needed to click it to activate anything. Leviosa keeps insisting that I did, but I don't delete e-mails (why would I, since I use gmail) and I know that I did not.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:46 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:They've got me thoroughly confused, but one thing's for certain -- while I did get and still have a confirmation e-mail after I renewed the domain name, I got nothing with a link saying I needed to click it to activate anything. Leviosa keeps insisting that I did, but I don't delete e-mails (why would I, since I use gmail) and I know that I did not.

Speak to Dean, as i said Ben, he will have had to do this.

Can you not do a snapshot of your confirmation email and post it to back your case?

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:04 pm

Dean is away at the moment as far as I know, though he may still pick up PMs?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:59 pm

Added a note to the Forumotion thread Ben as I am a member, if I can help in any way (no idea how) let me know. They don't seem to be trying too hard, ask them to re-send the activation email with the link on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:50 am

4EVER2 wrote:

Here's the e-mail I got:

LeviosaAdministrator

Just a clarification question: if you did indeed obtain this community domain name and your contact link with Forumotion has been with this email >_____________________________________ {yours & it's your secret} why would you just now join the Admin sight to find out if the email you received was viable or fake?  Haven't you been involved with the Forumotion Admin Team before Now?
This is the first time you've ever had ANY communication between you and the people that allow you the Freebie Community? ALERT -- possible site disruption 265384880

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:55 am

Just for Laughing if you've just added this 'newest' member account to the Forumotion Admin Page >

All about Ben Reilly

Language :

English

Review Points :

2016-08-08
Didn't you have your original avatar/nickname set up with an under score separating your first name from your last name?  Ben_Reilly '?' ...that's my point, shouldn't you have had an account established long - long ago with the Forumotion Admin page?
Did you/have you checked that account to see if you have PM's awaiting your attention?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:56 pm

France should be open for business, have they got back to you yet Ben?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:29 pm

Has this been solved Ben, doesn't appear to have been solved on the Forumotion Admin Site.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down