NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WTF Happened To The Music?

+6
JulesV
Irn Bru
veya_victaous
Tommy Monk
Ben Reilly
Victorismyhero
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

WTF Happened To The Music?  - Page 2 Empty WTF Happened To The Music?

Post by eddie Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

WTF Happened To The Music?  - Page 2 Image158

This rings so true! What did happen to the music and why is it now, all about sex?
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

WTF Happened To The Music?  - Page 2 Empty Re: WTF Happened To The Music?

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:33 pm

Syl wrote:I think people follow certain artists and their music based on the false images they see of them.....Tommy would have a field day spotting all the airbrushing and camera tricks that make ordinary people look like sex gods and goddesses on video.

In my day (yawn) we could go and watch the popular singers actually perform...live...on stage, and we could also hear their actual voices not the digitally enhanced ones that they sound like on video.

People could afford to go and see artists in smaller clubs because none of them expected millions for performing....and I would prefer the true singing talent of Dusty Springfield or Shirley Bassey, who were brilliant live performers, than the likes of Katy Perry or Taylor Swift, who only sing in venues which hold thousands and are just a dot on the horizon surrounded by gimmicks..  

I like many forms of music dependent on my mood at the time

To you what is great talent maybe far removed from someone else like someone into Opera, who will perceive those singers as good but far removed from people who can obtain such notes that leave those singers failing behind.
But again its all about taste.
i am lucky having the ability to have studied Music and played music classically, but I love many forms.
The only one that does nothing for me is jazz.
I mean Christina Aguilera is easily up there with the likes of shirley Bassey.
To me the two great black female singers from that era were Aretha and Nina Simone, but that is my prefenrence, but there is loads of huge talent today. I think its more about eras we are brought up in and I like to think I move along with the time.
Sometimes a good song is based on the musice as well as the singing.
Something though that catches you emotionally is always that much more special

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:39 pm

For example Syl listen to her range on this blues gosple song.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:00 pm

Syl wrote:I think people follow certain artists and their music based on the false images they see of them.....Tommy would have a field day spotting all the airbrushing and camera tricks that make ordinary people look like sex gods and goddesses on video.

In my day (yawn) we could go and watch the popular singers actually perform...live...on stage, and we could also hear their actual voices not the digitally enhanced ones that they sound like on video.

People could afford to go and see artists in smaller clubs because none of them expected millions for performing....and I would prefer the true singing talent of Dusty Springfield or Shirley Bassey, who were brilliant live performers, than the likes of Katy Perry or Taylor Swift, who only sing in venues which hold thousands and are just a dot on the horizon surrounded by gimmicks..  

Excellent post Syl
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:02 pm

Didge wrote:For example Syl listen to her range on this blues gosple song.

But look at the fake aurbrushing

I think Syl made excellent points
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:05 pm

eddie wrote:

But look at the fake aurbrushing

I think Syl made excellent points

What has her makeup got to do with the ability of her voice?

Again it is all down to personal taste and the era we are brought up in and on what music we grew up listening to.
Luckily I got to listen and like many

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:08 pm

Sorry I was following on from Syl's posts about people not being "real enough"

I'm not keen on wailing females either: Aguelera, Houston, Mariah Carey (yuck!) are all a bit too shouty waily for me, though Houston had a beautiful tone to her voice.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:12 pm

eddie wrote:Sorry I was following on from Syl's posts about people not being "real enough"

I'm not keen on wailing females either: Aguelera, Houston, Mariah Carey (yuck!) are all a bit too shouty waily for me, though Houston had a beautiful tone to her voice.

Again personal taste

They both have powerful forces just as singers from the past did.

What you need to them compare is them singing the same songs.

To me Bassey was average, she never once gave me gossebumps and that is what it boils down to
Our own perceptions
Most opera singers have always given me goosebumps based on the power of their voices and emotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:50 pm

Truth be told, there's been more great music made since MTV started than you could listen to in a lifetime. You just have to look for it these days, because the corporations are just going to try to force-feed you their heavily market-researched concoctions.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:53 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:Truth be told, there's been more great music made since MTV started than you could listen to in a lifetime. You just have to look for it these days, because the corporations are just going to try to force-feed you their heavily market-researched concoctions.

Again personal preference

Have you sat at listened to Dvorak's New World Sympathy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:13 pm

Didge wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:Truth be told, there's been more great music made since MTV started than you could listen to in a lifetime. You just have to look for it these days, because the corporations are just going to try to force-feed you their heavily market-researched concoctions.

That came out a few years before MTV, did it not? Laughing
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:14 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

lol quite a few Ben indeed.  Laughing

People who enjoy classical and I mean this truely can get so wrapped into the emotions of the music, because they each tell a story

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:56 pm

Didge wrote:

To you what is great talent maybe far removed from someone else like someone into Opera, who will perceive those singers as good but far removed from people who can obtain such notes that leave those singers failing behind.
i am lucky having the ability to have studied Music and played music classically, but I love many forms.
To me the two great black female singers from that era were Aretha and Nina Simone, but that is my prefenrence, but there is loads of huge talent today. I think its more about eras we are brought up in and I like to think I move along with the time.

I played the Christine Aguilera track before I posted this...she does have a fabulous voice, as do many of the more recent singers. Beyoncé and Whitney both have/had brilliant ranges and style....I'm not knocking them, more the way they are produced nowadays so their fans can only see them either on video or in an arena where the sound system and noise drowns out their voices.
You are right that it's all down to personal taste though, personally I would never go to an opera, but some operatic arias, and especially some pieces of classical music that I don't even know the titles of, can move me to tears. Sad
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:58 pm

I dislike opera but jazz can take me off to places.
Pat Metheny is a great jazz guitarist and his pieces all tell a story.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:59 pm

eddie wrote:

Excellent post Syl

Thank you Eddie. x
I'm glad I didn't sound like an old fart to a younger person......which I'm sure I often can do. Razz

Actually, my younger self would have been a big fan of Taylor Swift....she may not have the strongest voice or the greatest range, but she is a great little story teller. I'm not surprised she is one of the most popular artists of today.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:02 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

I played the Christine Aguilera track before I posted this...she does have a fabulous voice, as do many of the more recent singers. Beyoncé and Whitney both have/had brilliant ranges and style....I'm not knocking them, more the way they are produced nowadays so their fans can only see them either on video or in an arena where the sound system and noise drowns out their voices.
You are right that it's all down to personal taste though, personally I would never go to an opera, but some operatic arias, and especially some pieces of classical music that I don't even know the titles of, can move me to tears. Sad

That is what I like best about you Syl, we may disagree and yet you are always honest
Sam Cooke is one of my fav vocies from the past and I really think the era we grew up in and our parents can play heavily on what music interests us. That is why I only ask people to try and listen to other kinds of music, they maybe surprised as to what they may find liking.
At least you have done that.
My fav opera peice has to be this and its also from one of my fav films

I think this music could quell any anger from anyone

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:18 pm

Great film and great music for the film
What scene was this again?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:27 pm

eddie wrote:Great film and great music for the film
What scene was this again?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:34 pm

I would be interested to know now after this, how many end up watching this great film again this weekend?

I never tire of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:39 pm

It's a brilliant film. I read the book first and the film never disappointed me. Superbly acted too.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:44 pm

eddie wrote:It's a brilliant film. I read the book first and the film never disappointed me. Superbly acted too.

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:50 pm

Didge wrote:I would be interested to know now after this, how many end up watching this great film again this weekend?

I never tire of it.
I think it's been voted one of the greatest films of all time in more than one poll....and have you ever seen Morgan Freeman in a bad film? I don't think I have.

The piece of music from the film was lovely Didge Thanks.
Odd how so many classical pieces are well known through films and even adverts, it's a great way of bringing culture to the masses. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:56 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:I would be interested to know now after this, how many end up watching this great film again this weekend?

I never tire of it.
I think it's been voted one of the greatest films of all time in more than one poll....and have you ever seen Morgan Freeman in a bad film? I don't think I have.

The piece of music from the film was lovely Didge Thanks.
Odd how so many classical pieces are well known through films and even adverts, it's a great way of bringing culture to the masses. Laughing

Was just going to sign off when I read this.

The answer to your question is?

No, I have never seen him ever in a bad film

He is an excellent actor even in "Lucky Number Sleven", which is another fav film, with another amasing actor, Ben Kingsley.

I love Morgan Freeman in the part of the criminologist type detective, I think he did two films on this, cannot remember their names.
Hope you know and will look in tomorrow

Night Syl and everyone else

All the best

x

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:59 pm

Alex Cross...I have read a couple of James Patterson novels, and Morgan Freeman played that character to perfection.

Night Didge, have a good one. x
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:26 pm

Morgan freeman just has that voice! If he told me to jump off a cliff I'd think "If Morgan said it so it must be"

He rocks. Cool
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:02 am

Great vocal range but one look at her raunchy track Dirrty shows she also firmly believes in the adage "Sex Sells". Oh my eyes!  affraid

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by JulesV Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:13 am

This might be worth a look, for anyone who hasn't seen it. Great little piece by Dorian Lynskey, in the Guardian. I read it the day it was published, May last year. Takes you through many milestones, twists and turns in the industry.

It attracted 1,173 comments and I read about 20 or 30, great to see so many genuine music fans reminiscing, angsting and laughing together.  

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/may/28/how-the-compact-disc-lost-its-shine

JulesV
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:04 am

Didge wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
Didge wrote:

lol quite a few Ben indeed.  Laughing

People who enjoy classical and I mean this truely can get so wrapped into the emotions of the music, because they each tell a story

I'm a big fan of Stravinsky, who started a riot (yes!) and Schoenberg. Also partial to Chopin.
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2