NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Genius Solid Shampoos Use No Plastic Packaging By Leaving Out Water

3 posters

Go down

Genius Solid Shampoos Use No Plastic Packaging By Leaving Out Water Empty Genius Solid Shampoos Use No Plastic Packaging By Leaving Out Water

Post by Guest Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:48 pm

This company wants to help you bathe guilt-free, with bath products that save water and opt out of plastics altogether.
Skin and hair care company Ethique sells shampoo, conditioner and soap ― without any plastic packaging. The products all come as solid bars rather than the traditional liquid, according to the website. The packaging is entirely plastic-free, made of biodegradable, compostable material.

“The more I thought about it, the crazier it seemed to me that we pay gobs of money for all that water packaged in plastic,” founder Brianne West told Forbes. “In a nutshell, my goal is to save the world from plastic waste!”

What’s more, the solid bars use significantly less water than liquid shampoo or conditioner. While traditional conditioners can be composed of up to 90 percent water, Ethique’s solid conditioners and shampoos remove water from the product, saving an estimated one liter of water per bar, according to the website.

The shampoos, conditioners and soaps are also made entirely from natural ingredients like cocoa butter, coconut oil and lavender.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/genius-solid-shampoos-use-less-plastic-packaging-by-leaving-out-water_us_57963f19e4b02d5d5ed24951?ir=Good+News§ion=us_good-news&utm_hp_ref=good-news

Back to top Go down

Genius Solid Shampoos Use No Plastic Packaging By Leaving Out Water Empty Re: Genius Solid Shampoos Use No Plastic Packaging By Leaving Out Water

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:36 am

Didge wrote:This company wants to help you bathe guilt-free, with bath products that save water and opt out of plastics altogether.
Skin and hair care company Ethique sells shampoo, conditioner and soap ― without any plastic packaging. The products all come as solid bars rather than the traditional liquid, according to the website. The packaging is entirely plastic-free, made of biodegradable, compostable material.

“The more I thought about it, the crazier it seemed to me that we pay gobs of money for all that water packaged in plastic,” founder Brianne West told Forbes. “In a nutshell, my goal is to save the world from plastic waste!”

What’s more, the solid bars use significantly less water than liquid shampoo or conditioner. While traditional conditioners can be composed of up to 90 percent water, Ethique’s solid conditioners and shampoos remove water from the product, saving an estimated one liter of water per bar, according to the website.

The shampoos, conditioners and soaps are also made entirely from natural ingredients like cocoa butter, coconut oil and lavender.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/genius-solid-shampoos-use-less-plastic-packaging-by-leaving-out-water_us_57963f19e4b02d5d5ed24951?ir=Good+News§ion=us_good-news&utm_hp_ref=good-news

I've been making my own soap and solid shampoo for years.  

Genius Solid Shampoos Use No Plastic Packaging By Leaving Out Water 12079706_740252769453662_471023741216146961_nGenius Solid Shampoos Use No Plastic Packaging By Leaving Out Water 12119011_756630357815903_1773259888415083652_n
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Genius Solid Shampoos Use No Plastic Packaging By Leaving Out Water Empty Re: Genius Solid Shampoos Use No Plastic Packaging By Leaving Out Water

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:04 am

HoratioTarr wrote:
Didge wrote:This company wants to help you bathe guilt-free, with bath products that save water and opt out of plastics altogether.

Genius Solid Shampoos Use No Plastic Packaging By Leaving Out Water 12079706_740252769453662_471023741216146961_nGenius Solid Shampoos Use No Plastic Packaging By Leaving Out Water 12119011_756630357815903_1773259888415083652_n

can you put up a recipie?
I'd be interested if you have recommendation form experience Wink
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:42 am

veya_victaous wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

can you put up a recipie?
I'd be interested if you have recommendation form experience Wink

I can put up a recipe but the cold process soap making procedure is akin to brain surgery!!!!   Only joking.  Actually, it's very tricky.   You have to have the lye and oils at the same temperature 100 degrees before you mix them, you run the risk of it ricing (going grainy) adding certain fragrances can make it seize (go hard before you've had a chance to pour it), burn and cause what's known as the volcano effect, without the right balance of oils and butters you can end up with a latherless rancid mess, you can end up with the dreaded orange spot, and on and on it goes.

But, when you get it right you have a product that's second to none.   A creamy fluffy bar of natural soap that's so moisturising you can use it on your face.   Some of them can be works of art too.  People love my cupcake soaps.
Genius Solid Shampoos Use No Plastic Packaging By Leaving Out Water 309427_10150960829182753_1622435056_n

But here's a recipe if you fancy trying it.  This is one of my very basic ones.  

Genius Solid Shampoos Use No Plastic Packaging By Leaving Out Water 13631526_899361553505985_3072149342331765263_n
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:18 am

the cupcake soaps look pretty.

that is more Science experiment like than i was expecting. Laughing Laughing interesting
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:26 am

Re the OP, Lush company has been doing this for years. There's a Lush shop in every town. Rolling Eyes

Horatio, if it's easy I'd like a recipe but if it's too much poncing about, I'll stick to lush.

(Though I'd be interested in buying some from you if you send me a list?)
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:29 am

veya_victaous wrote:the cupcake soaps look pretty.

that is more Science experiment like than i was expecting. Laughing Laughing  interesting

Cold process soap thickens up like heavy cream. You can just pour it into moulds or wait for it to thicken and pipe it out. Here's what you do.

Mix the water with the lye. ALWAYS put the lye into the water and not the other way around. Stir, don't inhale the fumes and wait until the water goes clear. Meanwhile mix your oils and butters and melt them over a pan of water. When the lye and oils are the same temperature, you pour lye water into the oils and begin to stir. At this point add fragrance and colour if you wish, blending well, with a whisk, and pour into moulds. Leave for several days before unmoulding. Cut soap into desired shape and leave to cure for 6 weeks.

The process of saponification (Where the chemical reaction of the lye on the oils turns it into soap) is done in 48 hours but the soap is not hard enough to use so you have to let it cure for at least 6 weeks.

There are ways to speed up this process by using Sodium Lactate which hardens the soap in a few hours. When you use this, you must unmould the soap within an hour and cut. Soap is then ready in a week or two.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:32 am

eddie wrote:Re the OP, Lush company has been doing this for years. There's a Lush shop in every town. Rolling Eyes

Horatio, if it's easy I'd like a recipe but if it's too much poncing about, I'll stick to lush.

(Though I'd be interested in buying some from you if you send me a list?)

Lush was the reason I started making my own products. Not because I was inspired but because I suffered an asthma attack using one of their bathbombs. When I started looking at their ingredients, I saw they use chemical foamers in many of their products... Sodium Laurel Sulfate being the worst culprit. So, I started making my own. I used to sell them but it's very time consuming so I stopped. Now, I just make them for friends and family.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down