NewsFix
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is This Racist

+8
'Wolfie
Victorismyhero
HoratioTarr
Original Quill
eddie
Raggamuffin
Syl
Major
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Is This Racist Empty Re: Is This Racist

Post by Syl Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:16 pm

It doesn't look racist to me....I had to read just why it was considered so.

Mind you I am not black with a chip on my shoulder. Rolling Eyes
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:22 pm

Syl wrote:It doesn't look racist to me....I had to read just why it was considered so.

Or a black person with an arm on your head. Laughing
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:27 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:It doesn't look racist to me....I had to read just why it was considered so.

Or a black person with an arm on your head. Laughing

lol!
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:03 pm

Dunno.....can't be bothered to click on a link to a story that someone couldn't be bothered to post up.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:57 pm

Hmmm...I thought it looked like a tight group of 'gal pals' posing for the camera; but ... BUT
I had a black college BFF scold me for being so insensitive about a recipe I sent her {she'd specifically asked me for} ---It was called 'Plantation Crunch'. confused

She loved the candy and had bragged it up to her family...should I have changed the name??? Is This Racist 2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:59 pm

That's a toughie!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:13 pm

Ok I looked

One girl is taller than the other, that's all  and the mums making a scene are dickheads and I bet they make a scene about everything to do with "racism"

"You want my daughter to wear BLACK shoes for school???? Is it cos she's BLACK??"

"No ma'am, they all wear black shoes to the school....."

"That's racist!"

Fuck off. Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:38 pm

Each situation is different. But you have to look at the intent. Communication is nothing if not the intent behind a statement.

I don't think GAP had any intent to create a racial statement with this ad. Was there something subliminal going on? If there was, I haven't heard anyone articulate it, let alone defend it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:43 pm

eddie wrote:Ok I looked

One girl is taller than the other, that's all  and the mums making a scene are dickheads and I bet they make a scene about everything to do with "racism"

"You want my daughter to wear BLACK shoes for school???? Is it cos she's BLACK??"

"That's racist!"

Fuck off. Rolling Eyes
Back in my college years...{circa 1970's} we had a seminar over racial equality---and the university had a group of diverse speakers come to store our SOULS; the main speaker was a young black women from Berkeley College, CA.
Oh, yaaaa baby...her opening statesment was all about the Black Panther movement...you could have heard a pen drop in that lecture hall. Then she dived right into a diatribe about her success in getting out of the 'GHETTO' and never looking back; shortly there after she ended her speel with 'I've left time for some question and answer time from the audience'...{the silence was more like a ROAR of white noise}---
I raised my hand and on shaky legs...asked her; "so why exactly are you never going back to your home area to show other girls what they can achieve, despite the race barriers you've had to over come?" Audible Gasps were heard all around me...and my seat buddy started pulling me back down, pleading with me to SIT DOWN!!! Anyway, that opened the flood gates and a lively discussion was had by many of not afraid to put a voice to our ignorance...and she talked for another 1-2 hours! She admitted that even within her own family the COLOR of ones skin could be an advantage or a hinderance and she wasn't nearly as radical as we naive Midwest country girls had feared.
End of story...but there's a moral in there some where scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:45 pm

How utterly contrived and ridiculous. To make a big issue of this is pathetic. I actually thought the kids might be spelling out a word with their bodies.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:46 pm

Original Quill wrote:Each situation is different.  But you have to look at the intent.  Communication is nothing if not the intent behind a statement.

I don't think GAP had any intent to create a racial statement with this ad.  Was there something subliminal going on?  If there was, I haven't heard anyone articulate it, let alone defend it.
Did you read some of those twitter comments??? OMG' scroll down and review some of those Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:47 pm

4EVER2 wrote:

"That's racist!"

Fuck off. Rolling Eyes
Back in my college years...{circa 1970's} we had a seminar over racial equality---and the university had a group of diverse speakers come to store our SOULS; the main speaker was a young black women from Berkeley College, CA.  
Oh, yaaaa baby...her opening statesment was all about the Black Panther movement...you could have heard a pen drop in that lecture hall. Then she dived right into a diatribe about her success in getting out of the 'GHETTO' and never looking back; shortly there after she ended her speel with 'I've left time for some question and answer time from the audience'...{the silence was more like a ROAR of white noise}---
I raised my hand and on shaky legs...asked her; "so why exactly are you never going back to your home area to show other girls what they can achieve, despite the race barriers you've had to over come?"  Audible Gasps were heard all around me...and my seat buddy started pulling me back down, pleading with me to SIT DOWN!!!  Anyway, that opened the flood gates and a lively discussion was had by many of not afraid to put a voice to our ignorance...and she talked for another 1-2 hours!  She admitted that even within her own family the COLOR of ones skin could be an advantage or a hinderance and she wasn't nearly as radical as we naive Midwest country girls had feared.

All about communication isn't it, and how people see the world because of their life experiences.  Sounds like a really good discussion, well done you for having the guts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:49 pm

typical leftys...looking for something to increase their "validity" with.....

finding "issues" where non actually exist

Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:53 pm

4EVER2 wrote:

"That's racist!"

Fuck off. Rolling Eyes
I raised my hand and on shaky legs...asked her; "so why exactly are you never going back to your home area to show other girls what they can achieve, despite the race barriers you've had to over come?"  Audible Gasps were heard all around me...and my seat buddy started pulling me back down, pleading with me to SIT DOWN!!!  Anyway, that opened the flood gates and a lively discussion was had by many of not afraid to put a voice to our ignorance...and she talked for another 1-2 hours!  She admitted that even within her own family the COLOR of ones skin could be an advantage or a hinderance and she wasn't nearly as radical as we naive Midwest country girls had feared.

Hahahaha I do that! Tell a long story and wonder if my point was lost but I got yours....I think....?
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:59 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Each situation is different.  But you have to look at the intent.  Communication is nothing if not the intent behind a statement.

I don't think GAP had any intent to create a racial statement with this ad.  Was there something subliminal going on?  If there was, I haven't heard anyone articulate it, let alone defend it.
Did you read some of those twitter comments??? OMG' scroll down and review some of those Shocked

Yes, I read it. In each case, someone is reading something of their own into the statement. It is, as someone mentioned, an attempt to spell out the word GAP through body configurations. Maybe if that were more evident it would foreclose those wild goose chases. It wasn't very successful.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:06 pm

You know what is a shame?? That the girls were probably all really excited about doing that Ad and modelling for that....and it's basically been spoilt for them, particularly for the black girl who will now be confused as to what her role was, when it was simply for being a beauty in an advert for clothes.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:12 pm

4EVER2 wrote:

"That's racist!"

Fuck off. Rolling Eyes

I'll bet she was Kathleen Neal Cleaver, wife of Eldridge Cleaver. She used to hold sway at the Student Union auditorium at Berkeley, where I went to university. Eldridge was a former Black Panther and Kathleen was secretary the Party, which started in next-door Oakland. She became a lecturer of Black Studies at Yale University and professor of law at the prestigious Emory Law School.

BTW, there is no Berkeley College. It's the University of California at Berkeley, usually shortened to Berkeley.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Victorismyhero Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:12 pm

eddie wrote:You know what is a shame?? That the girls were probably all really excited about doing that Ad and modelling for that....and it's basically been spoilt for them, particularly for the black girl who will now be confused as to what her role was, when it was simply for being a beauty in an advert for clothes.

alien
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:17 pm

eddie wrote:You know what is a shame?? That the girls were probably all really excited about doing that Ad and modelling for that....and it's basically been spoilt for them, particularly for the black girl who will now be confused as to what her role was, when it was simply for being a beauty in an advert for clothes.

That's very true.  I'm all for calling out racism, and to be honest I can understand why black people see it where it isn't, because there is still a huge amount of racism in America, just look at Trump rallies and the trouble there has been with the police killing black people, but I think this was something that was never intended to send a racial message and now it's, as you say, spoilt for the kids.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:19 pm

Original Quill wrote:
4EVER2 wrote:

I'll bet she was Kathleen Neal Cleaver, wife of Eldridge Cleaver.  She used to hold sway at the Student Union auditorium at Berkeley, where I went to university.  Eldridge was a former Black Panther and Kathleen was secretary the Party, which started in next-door Oakland.  She became a lecturer of Black Studies at Yale University and professor of law at the prestigious Emory Law School.

BTW, there is no Berkeley College.  It's the University of California at Berkeley, usually shortened to Berkeley.

This her?

Is This Racist A947cbe9a36641fb1c41007d8b5649f8

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:48 pm

She's stunning. I do love an Afro.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:50 pm

Me to, it's kinda a halo for a beautiful face.

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:58 pm

She's really rather sexy. It's the look in her eyes.

I'd bet she's looking at someone she wants to get into bed with.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:18 am

That's her. As I recall, she was tall and graceful. Beautiful mind. Articulate...soft spoken. She used to talk about all sorts of things: one minute, from racial violence in America, to the next, why black men like colorful clothing.

What a great place Berkeley was...is.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:29 am

sassy wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I'll bet she was Kathleen Neal Cleaver, wife of Eldridge Cleaver.  She used to hold sway at the Student Union auditorium at Berkeley, where I went to university.  Eldridge was a former Black Panther and Kathleen was secretary the Party, which started in next-door Oakland.  She became a lecturer of Black Studies at Yale University and professor of law at the prestigious Emory Law School.

BTW, there is no Berkeley College.  It's the University of California at Berkeley, usually shortened to Berkeley.

This her?

Well, the name certainly rang a couple of bells but her face for sure did...but she didn't have all that 'Fro' look when she spoke to us; she was wearing a traditional turban --- very beautiful in printed/vibrant color.

And for Christ Sake...OQ, so I got the name of the college wrong; SWEET JESUS, I was feeling pretty freak'n proud that I could spell it correctly Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:16 am

4EVER2 wrote:
sassy wrote:

This her?

Well, the name certainly rang a couple of bells but her face for sure did...but she didn't have all that 'Fro' look when she spoke to us; she was wearing a traditional turban --- very beautiful in printed/vibrant color.

And for Christ Sake...OQ, so I got the name of the college wrong; SWEET JESUS, I was feeling pretty freak'n proud that I could spell it correctly Rolling Eyes

You're forgiven. And I never saw her in a Fro either. I don't know when she had it.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by 'Wolfie Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:01 am

Lord Foul wrote:

alien

What a Face

I COULDN'T see anything specifially "racist" about that ad' either, in content or intention...

HOWEVER, I do think it could be termed a bit heightist for the way in which the tall girl is resting her arm on the short girl's head !

P.S.   Where is the token Asian kid in this pic'?   Hiding behind one of the tall ones, perhaps ?

Basketball
'Wolfie
'Wolfie
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:42 am

Storm in a tea cup.
nicko
nicko
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:37 am

nicko wrote:Storm in a tea cup.

Shit in a storm cup.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:47 am

And this is fundamentally the problem with how some on the left are rendering the combating of real racism substantially weakened. When they look to find racism, when none actually existed in a picture

Where there is real growing racism today in Europe. The leftist BBC makes excuses and downplays the seriousness of it, even though people are leaving in substantial numbers.
Yet when its something unfounded and born from some those on the regressive left. Who can only see non white racism only. They imagine and claim racism, from something clearly done unintentionally.

I mean what about then inventing a claim of racism towards Aussies represented by the upside down kid doing a handstand in the picture?
He is beneath everyone using this methodology claimed this is being racist.
he is not equal to the rest of the world and not allowed to stand upright. Thus classed then as lower even than blacks, using again this absurd reasoning to claim racism here..

As i say its nonsense like this that does nothing in the challenge of combating racism. It instead weakens the fight to eradicate through good reasoning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:37 pm

didge wrote:And this is fundamentally the problem with how some on the left are rendering the combating of real racism substantially weakened. When they look to find racism, when none actually existed in a picture

Where there is real growing racism today in Europe. The leftist BBC makes excuses and downplays the seriousness of it, even though people are leaving in substantial numbers.
Yet when its something unfounded and born from some those on the regressive left. Who can only see non white racism only. They imagine and claim racism, from something clearly done unintentionally.

I mean what about then inventing a claim of racism towards Aussies represented by the upside down kid doing a handstand in the picture?
he is not equal to the rest of the world and not allowed to stand upright. Thus classed then as lower even than blacks, using again this absurd reasoning to claim racism here..

As i say its nonsense like this that does nothing in the challenge of combating racism. It instead weakens the fight to eradicate through good reasoning.

In defense of those who look immediately for 'alternate' meanings, the RW is really good at creating false façades and speaking in code.  They don't talk about black people; they speak of 'welfare recipients'.  They have stock generalities, like they's gud dancers and y'all know how they lie.  When a white cop shoots a black man, he inevitably says he was resisting arrest, even when the guy was bound and hogtied.  When Charleston Officer Michael Slager fired eight times as he murdered a black Walter Scott, he had to drop his taser beside the dead body in order to claim Scott was threatening him.  You can hardly blame the left. The RW always has their little bag of lies to absolve them of their sins. You can't trust the right...deception drips off of them.

Its worth the time for the left to search this sort of ad for coded meaning.  What is the message?  Are blacks good props, is that the meaning?  I think in this case, a major shortfall was the failure of the real message to come through, that these kids were spelling GAP.  This left a gap (pardon the pun) inviting the speculation as to what they were trying to do.  Inevitably, that led to a focus on the racial differences.  I think it's unfortunate.

Original Quill
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:43 pm

Stormee wrote:So called 'racism' will NEVER go away.

Whitiz do not care much for blackiz and blackiz do not care much for whitiz in general.

To me, it seems a bigger problem today than I ever remember it, the Race Relations Board did not help

Who said whites and blacks "do not care much" about the other??
Thought is was Muslims we were supposed to hate? Rolling Eyes
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:47 pm

Am I the only one who never really notices colour till it's mentioned?
I was describing someone the other day....she is tallish, dark curly hair, about 40 ....the woman I was talking to seemed baffled. She wears a red coat a lot.....is friends with so and so....still baffled, then she said "Is she black"?....she is, but it hadn't even occurred to me that she was. Razz
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:47 pm

Syl wrote:Am I the only one who never really notices colour till it's mentioned?
I was describing someone the other day....she is tallish, dark curly hair, about 40 ....the woman I was talking to seemed baffled. She wears a red coat a lot.....is friends with so and so....still baffled, then she said "Is she black"?....she is, but it hadn't even occurred to me that she was. Razz

No, you aren't the only one, I do the same.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:51 pm

sassy wrote:
Syl wrote:Am I the only one who never really notices colour till it's mentioned?

I bet loads of people are the same Sassy....only on forums does colour get mentioned every day.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:52 pm

Syl wrote:
sassy wrote:

I bet loads of people are the same Sassy....only on forums does colour get mentioned every day.

And isn't it B O R I N G !!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:53 pm

The first thing I'd say is "The tall black lady"

Everyone sees colour. If she was white I'd say "The tall lady with brown hair and glasses/big lips/always wears red coat/whatever else is obvious"

I mention the first thing that's obvious about someone that distinguishes them from someone else.

If it was a description between two black women I'd say "not the tall one the shorter one who has a limp"

Everyone picks out the most obviously physical thing about someone.

My black mate, when describing between a bunch of white women would say to me "You know edds, the fat /thin/blonde/tall/woman"
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:00 pm

eddie wrote:The first thing I'd say is "The tall black lady"

Everyone sees colour. If she was white I'd say "The tall lady with brown hair and glasses/big lips/always wears red coat/whatever else is obvious"

I mention the first thing that's obvious about someone that distinguishes them from someone else.

If it was a description between two black women I'd say "not the tall one the shorter one who has a limp"

Everyone picks out the most obviously physical thing about someone.

My black mate, when describing between a bunch of white women would say to me "You know edds, the fat /thin/blonde/tall/woman"

I don't think everyone does see colour though....well obviously they know someone is white or black, but it just doesn't seem to be one of the things I think of when describing someone.

Eg.....Diana Ross...would you mention her colour if trying to describe her to someone?
Helen Mirren.....
Alicia Dixon
Sidney Poitier
My niece Joanne......and so on. Laughing
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:09 pm

Original Quill wrote:
didge wrote:And this is fundamentally the problem with how some on the left are rendering the combating of real racism substantially weakened. When they look to find racism, when none actually existed in a picture

In defense of those who look immediately for 'alternate' meanings, the RW is really good at creating false façades and speaking in code.  They don't talk about black people; they speak of 'welfare recipients'.  They have stock generalities, like they's gud dancers and y'all know how they lie.  When a white cop shoots a black man, he inevitably says he was resisting arrest, even when the guy was bound and hogtied.  When Charleston Officer Michael Slager fired eight times as he murdered a black Walter Scott, he had to drop his taser beside the dead body in order to claim Scott was threatening him.  You can hardly blame the left. The RW always has their little bag of lies to absolve them of their sins.  You can't trust the right...deception drips off of them.

Its worth the time for the left to search this sort of ad for coded meaning.  What is the message?  Are blacks good props, is that the meaning?  I think in this case, a major shortfall was the failure of the real message to come through, that these kids were spelling GAP.  This left a gap (pardon the pun) inviting the speculation as to what they were trying to do.  Inevitably, that led to a focus on the racial differences.  I think it's unfortunate.

What message?
Lets be honest, a few people have seen this picture., wrongly shout racism, when they is no overt racism within this picture .I can view this picture completely different and clearly if you look more closely her elbow is not even resting on the on the other kids head. She is not even leaning towards that side but fully upright, where you could easily argue she is just stroking back her hair. only her head is tilted to the left, but people can see what ever they want to create from a picture. Sadly with the far left they just invent racism, when there is none
The problem is some people see racism, when there is no racism.

Is This Racist _89090757_04d5172f-2a2c-4484-89d2-7a8d8c4deec0

Is This Racist Fashion-2015-07-ellen-degeneres-ed-gapkids-collection-main

http://www.glamour.com/story/ellen-degeneres-gapkids-ed

Now look at the photo from the year previously and this time its a black boy and his arm is resting on the white girls head.

Its just kids being told to look a certain way for a photo shoot. I doubt as well Gap even foresaw how this would have the far left create something out of nothing

Last edited by didge on Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:11 pm

We aren't talking about a famous person though?but if I couldn't think of her name and I was trying to say something about her I'd say "She's a singer, she's black and she sang that song about being upside down"

(Actually I'd just say the Singer who did "upside down")

I think you'll find it faster to eliminate people if you narrow it down to colour. Just makes sense and I bet years ago you did it.
eddie
eddie

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:14 pm

I very much doubt anyone even suggested the last pic was racist.
What a shame some people always have to believe that the black person is being targeted when clearly they are not.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:09 pm

didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:
In defense of those who look immediately for 'alternate' meanings, the RW is really good at creating false façades and speaking in code.  They don't talk about black people; they speak of 'welfare recipients'.  They have stock generalities, like they's gud dancers and y'all know how they lie.  When a white cop shoots a black man, he inevitably says he was resisting arrest, even when the guy was bound and hogtied.  When Charleston Officer Michael Slager fired eight times as he murdered a black Walter Scott, he had to drop his taser beside the dead body in order to claim Scott was threatening him.  You can hardly blame the left. The RW always has their little bag of lies to absolve them of their sins.  You can't trust the right...deception drips off of them.

What message?
Lets be honest, a few people have seen this picture., wrongly shout racism, when they is no overt racism within this picture .I can view this picture completely different and clearly if you look more closely her elbow is not even resting on the on the other kids head. She is not even leaning towards that side but fully upright, where you could easily argue she is just stroking back her hair. only her head is tilted to the left, but people can see what ever they want to create from a picture. Sadly with the far left they just invent racism, when there is none
The problem is some people see racism, when there is no racism.

Is This Racist _89090757_04d5172f-2a2c-4484-89d2-7a8d8c4deec0

Is This Racist Fashion-2015-07-ellen-degeneres-ed-gapkids-collection-main

http://www.glamour.com/story/ellen-degeneres-gapkids-ed

Now look at the photo from the year previously and this time its a black boy and his arm is resting on the white girls head.

Its just kids being told to look a certain way for a photo shoot. I doubt as well Gap even foresaw how this would have the far left create something out of nothing

How amusing...obviously you neglected to read the entire article from Stormee's link; Mad And assumed {wrongly} about the gender of the taller young 'LADY'---rather racists in that assumption - IMO Rolling Eyes

A black film director added a new twist to the story. Matthew A. Cherry tweeted a picture from an old Gap ad campaign that showed a tall black girl resting her arm on the head of a shorter white girl, side by side with the new image. "Does the pic on the left make the pic on the right OK?" he asked. http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-35968787 

And since I'm admittedly totally a 'non-twitter' user of any means; the conversation began when some 'Black Mothers' posed a question about what the 'GAP' ad was trying to say and what they were 'SUPPOSE' to tell their own young girls that it represented. So obviously...some of those mothers know that their young girls are looking and are paying attention to ads; far more then anyone of my generation did.

And the discussion took off...loads of 'PROS vs CONS' about the ad but Gap still ended up pulling it. 

If in this 21st century we still have racial issues {POTUS is a prime example of the vitriol for 7+ years} then we as a global community have much to improve. 
Of all the posted twitter accounts - we aren't given any insights into the demographics of who/what/when/where that those mothers questioned the 'ADS MEANING' so it's not any easy discussion to have. 
But it is an important discussion since there is - has been a marked increase in Race Baiting/Race Shaming/Racial Issues, especially in America.  I can't speak for the UK but this article was clipped from a BBC printed piece.

To the point discussed about physical descriptions: one wouldn't provide a race detail if you were in...say Mexico - would you need to clarify that the person you were looking for was Spanish?  Or if you were standing in the middle of a open market in a rural African country - would you need to clarify that the person was Black? The uniqueness for identification purposes become highly necessary when we all live in such blended cultures --- of course you'd used skin tone as one of many methods to describe who/what they looked like. 

Does that make us a race biased human...I don't think so; you're trying to describe someone - not alienate them. Is This Racist 2190311264

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:13 pm

Living in a community in which I see people of all ethnic groups on pretty much a daily basis, I note skin color but it's more like you'd notice someone with blonde hair, or who was over six feet tall. It's just a physical descriptor.

The photo certainly wasn't intended to be racist -- GAP is a huge corporation and can't sell tons of clothes if its message is "whituz doesn't like mixin' wif da blackiz, innit?"

WHAT IF I TOLD YOU that people of all races can be oversensitive ... ?

Is This Racist Matrix-Morpheus
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:15 pm

eddie wrote:We aren't talking about a famous person though?but if I couldn't think of her name and I was trying to say something about her I'd say "She's a singer, she's black and she sang that song about being upside down"

I think you'll find it faster to eliminate people if you narrow it down to colour. Just makes sense and I bet years ago you did it.

I have probably always been the same. Manchester has always been a mix of everyone.
I'm not saying I deliberately leave out a persons colour when describing them....I just don't usually think of it.
Syl
Syl
Forum Detective ????‍♀️

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:18 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:We aren't talking about a famous person though?but if I couldn't think of her name and I was trying to say something about her I'd say "She's a singer, she's black and she sang that song about being upside down"

I have probably always been the same. Manchester has always been a mix of everyone.
I'm not saying I deliberately leave out a persons colour when describing them....I just don't usually think of it.

You're trying not to be like my mother, whose stories always start with, "This Asian woman ..." "This black guy ..." "This Mexican ..." Evil or Very Mad
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
King of Texas. Gigantic Killer Robot. Robin Hood of Epping Forest. Fifty Shades of Cray.

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next